Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Midnight Saturday Mar 23rd)
Polls: Fantasy (Results), 1921 awards (Mar 21st), Academy Awards (Mar 22nd), Children (Apr 7th), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: French, War, Female Directors
World Cup: Semi finals schedule, SF-B (Mar 21st->Mar 24th)
Film of the Week: Le vieux fusil

The Anime lounge

fori

Re: The Anime lounge

Post by fori » December 23rd, 2018, 10:01 am

I knew this response was coming. Are you going to defend nisemonogatari as well?

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 23rd, 2018, 11:58 am

I couldn't, haven't watched it yet :D I'm not disagreeing that a lot of anime is crap though, it's just that the situation with live action series is way, WAY worse. Still have to find the first one I actually love.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » December 23rd, 2018, 12:14 pm

Onderhond wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 11:58 am
I couldn't, haven't watched it yet :D I'm not disagreeing that a lot of anime is crap though, it's just that the situation with live action series is way, WAY worse. Still have to find the first one I actually love.
Do you mean Japanese live-action TV, or live-action TV in general?

fori

Post by fori » December 23rd, 2018, 12:26 pm

How can you check the newer releases without seeing nisemonogatari? Admittedly there is very little of narrative interest from iteration to iteration, but that’s a cop out.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 23rd, 2018, 10:21 pm

mjf314 wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 12:14 pm
Onderhond wrote:
Do you mean Japanese live-action TV, or live-action TV in general?
Live action TV in general.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 23rd, 2018, 10:22 pm

fori wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 12:26 pm
How can you check the newer releases without seeing nisemonogatari? Admittedly there is very little of narrative interest from iteration to iteration, but that’s a cop out.
I hardly watch any series. It takes me about 6 months to watch a 13 ep series.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » December 23rd, 2018, 11:55 pm

Since you like Asian films, Japanese dramas might be a good place to start. They're usually 9-11 episodes, so not a very big commitment (Chinese and Korean dramas are usually longer).

You might like Kazoku game (2013) (10 episodes). It's probably the most unique story that I've seen in a J-drama. It's about a home tutor who's hired to teach a boy, and ends up having a big influence on the entire family. It's based on the same novel as the 1983 film, but it's a bit more insane than the film, and has an unforgettable main character (the tutor).

If you're in the mood for a Chinese historical drama, and don't mind a longer drama, I'd recommend Scarlet Heart (2011) (35 episodes). The directing and the dialogue are very good, but the story isn't very unique because it's based on history (except for the time travel aspect, but the time travel isn't really an important part of the story).

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 24th, 2018, 4:54 am

Steins;Gate the original video game is way better than any of the anime or subsequent games.

Also it's way better if you're relatively fluent in Japanese, as there are tons of jokes that don't translate very well.

fori

Post by fori » December 24th, 2018, 5:21 am

Can attest to experience with both of these things, though I did not complete the game. I’d still stick with my diagnosis of mediocrity undeserving of any of its hype.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » January 27th, 2019, 10:11 am

I'm 9 episodes into Kids on the Slope. It's just average, like a not-very-well written teen romance. The music aspect is the best part, but I prefer Nodame Cantabile. Watanabe's other anime series, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, are better.

I also watched Katanagatari a few weeks ago. I liked the first half more than the second half. The animation and action are good. The first half basically has a monster-of-the-week format, a little bit like One Punch Man, but better imo. In the second half, I started to realize that the story doesn't make sense, and the main characters became less likable.

fori

Post by fori » January 27th, 2019, 10:37 am

That show was so weak, I saw it when it came out... one of the shows that proved to me that there is a formula to achieve acclaim in the anime community, and it certainly doesn’t guarantee good watching. I didn’t realize it was Watanabe though, his fall off has been painful even as someone who likes his classics less than most. I agree on Katanagatari, there are quite a few comparable works that are far more enjoyable.

DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel » January 27th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Onderhond wrote:
I used to watch them back in highschool. Some of them were a lot of fun for that time - My Boss My Hero, Nodame Cantabile, Nobuta wo Produce - but I don't know how I would react to them now. Most shows are too melodramatic or juvenile for my taste now. Most of the stuff that I watched (around 50 tv shows) were just average or bad, gave up on them many years ago.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » January 27th, 2019, 8:14 pm

If you gave up on J-dramas a long time ago, I think you should consider getting back into them. J-dramas have changed a lot in the last 10 years.

Some recent J-dramas, like Hanzawa Naoki and Unnatural, are completely different from the older J-dramas that I've watched (less melodramatic, and targeted toward an older audience). I wouldn't necessarily say better because I think Nodame Cantabile is great.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » January 29th, 2019, 4:11 pm

In the Paste Anime list, Sweat Punch / Deep Imagination has the 5 short films separately but there's already an :imdb: entry for it.

Shouldn't https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6614620/ replace the shorts?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 5th, 2019, 10:50 am

Found the Noh mask monster from Spirited Away watching Inuyasha (ep 11). That was pretty cool. It came out long before the movie.
currently working thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Eve-Lang-El-Coup

Post by Eve-Lang-El-Coup » February 14th, 2019, 8:04 am

Ok, so based on:

Favouriting (8+)
Psycho-Pass
Serial Experiments Lain
Planetes
Golgo 13
Dominion Tank Police
Last Exile
Patlabor

Liking (6+)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Trigun (Only seen 4 episodes so far)
Paranoia Agent
Ergo Proxy
Now and Then, Here and There
Attack on Titan (Watched 6 or 7 episodes)
Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040
A.D. Police
Armored Trooper VOTOMS

Disliking (-5)
Tokyo Ghoul (Only seen five or so episodes)
Steins;Gate (As above)
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor (saw only one episode and ewww is all I can say)
Kids on The Slope (Seen maybe 2 episodes)

Unsure(ing)
Log Horizon (only watched 3 episodes)

What do you think I would like?

There are probably some others but that's everything I can remember watching. In addition to this I've also watched Castlevania (on Netflix) and found it excellent viewing.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 17th, 2019, 8:53 am

@Eve-Lang-El-Coup: Have you seen Cowboy Bebop? I think you'll probably like it. I've heard that it's similar to Trigun (although I haven't seen Trigun).

If you want more recommendations, you can look up each anime on either Anime-Planet, MyAnimeList, or AniDB, to get a list of similar anime.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 17th, 2019, 8:54 am

Kaiba. everybody love Kaiba.

fori

Post by fori » February 17th, 2019, 9:38 am

I saw this post when it was first put up and I wasn’t sure how to respond. I think it’s easier if you list themes, genres & styles you like, because as it is, your post has some I love and some I hate.
On another note, the similarities between Bebop and Trigun are drastically overstated, to the later’s detriment.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 17th, 2019, 10:13 am

fori wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 9:38 am
I saw this post when it was first put up and I wasn’t sure how to respond. I think it’s easier if you list themes, genres & styles you like, because as it is, your post has some I love and some I hate.
On another note, the similarities between Bebop and Trigun are drastically overstated, to the later’s detriment.
Judging by his favorites, he seems to like sci-fi, especially if it's realistic, or philosophical, or about police. Patlabor would've been an obvious recommendation if he hadn't already seen it.

I'll second the Kaiba recommendation. I'll also recommend Kino's Journey.

fori

Post by fori » February 17th, 2019, 10:30 am

True but I see vast differences between Psycho Pass and Patlabor in the latter’s favour. I suspect the OP hasn’t seen the Patlabor series and OVAs which are just as essential as the more well known films.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » February 17th, 2019, 12:02 pm

I recommend Texhnolyze and Boogiepop Phantom, two definitely darker-than-average and atmospherically ravishing works out there. If one liked Lain there's a good chance one'll like these.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Eve-Lang-El-Coup

Post by Eve-Lang-El-Coup » February 18th, 2019, 7:14 am

mjf314 wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 8:53 am
@Eve-Lang-El-Coup: Have you seen Cowboy Bebop? I think you'll probably like it. I've heard that it's similar to Trigun (although I haven't seen Trigun).

If you want more recommendations, you can look up each anime on either Anime-Planet, MyAnimeList, or AniDB, to get a list of similar anime.
Yes, I watched half recently and did indeed like it. I probably will check out one of those websites in the future. I just thought seeing as there is this thread dedicated to Anime some of you more watched/knowledgeable people would be able to recommend similar stuff.

Oh, and thanks for Kino's Journey as well.
Last edited by Eve-Lang-El-Coup on February 18th, 2019, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eve-Lang-El-Coup

Post by Eve-Lang-El-Coup » February 18th, 2019, 7:19 am

funkybusiness wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 8:54 am
Kaiba. everybody love Kaiba.
Thanks, never heard of it, looks good. Its plot reminds me of The Price of Life (1987) and it's newer, bigger brethren In Time (2011).

Eve-Lang-El-Coup

Post by Eve-Lang-El-Coup » February 18th, 2019, 7:52 am

fori wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 9:38 am
My main and continued love is Science Fiction. I also tend to like action orientated anime within that realm.
I like philosophical musings but it is not imperative. Characters can be deep or simply an etch of slickness and cool, and sometimes I can overlook an annoying one if I enjoy the other parts. I like humour, and while I would say it is far-reaching, I obviously wasn't in tune with Tylor nor does the anime even need it. I like wackiness as long as it is not jarring. It can have an overarching story or be 'episodic' in form, many characters or few, mostly though I like fun.

So we'll say 'Fun Action-y Sci-Fi'

Either way, you can recommend a 1 to 1 Anime or something that blends a few of the ones I mentioned, you don't even have to like it, as long as you think I could.

Eve-Lang-El-Coup

Post by Eve-Lang-El-Coup » February 18th, 2019, 7:58 am

Carmel1379 wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 12:02 pm
I recommend Texhnolyze and Boogiepop Phantom, two definitely darker-than-average and atmospherically ravishing works out there. If one liked Lain there's a good chance one'll like these.
Cool, thanks, Boogiepop sounds similar to Rashomon judging by the synopsis.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 18th, 2019, 9:04 am

I think you'd probably like Evangelion. It's a philosophical action sci-fi, and it also has a little bit of humor. Later in the series it gets more surreal.

Kino's Journey is philosophical. Only some of the episodes are sci-fi. It has a little action, but not a lot. It's by the same director as Lain, but it's not surreal the way that Lain is.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 19th, 2019, 6:23 am

To honor the news that Hiroyuki Imaishi is making a new feature film (Promare), I watched Sex & Violence with Machspeed (Vimeo link). Fun fun fun.

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » March 6th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Want to watch Patlabor film series. Can I just go ahead with the feature films or need to watch the Mobile Police Patlabor (1988–1989, OVA, 7 episodes) first ?

fori

Post by fori » March 6th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Better to watch the OVA first really, but 98% of new viewers don’t do it that way, so you can skip it if you want to.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » March 7th, 2019, 4:03 am

tommy_leazaq wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 3:48 pm
Want to watch Patlabor film series. Can I just go ahead with the feature films or need to watch the Mobile Police Patlabor (1988–1989, OVA, 7 episodes) first ?
I'm not sure, but there's no reason to skip it. The OVA is good.

fori

Post by fori » March 7th, 2019, 4:13 am

It’s interesting to see the growth in popularity in Patlabor since I completed all the animated releases in 2011. I was a huge fan at the time and used to go around calling it my favourite anime franchise (it might still hold that spot! Have to think about it). In the anime community back then it didn’t get as much hype as myself and others felt it deserved. At the time I checked the first movie when I joined ICM it had under half the checks it has now, 5.5 years later (probably not many 20th century films you could say that about) and seeing it pop up has become more and more common, which I love. More people should check out the show and it’s sequel OVA as well.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » March 16th, 2019, 5:15 pm

I'm gonna stump for one of my faves masaaki yuasa. He directed the above mentioned Kaiba as well as Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong, Devilman Crybaby and Night Is Short Walk on Girl. His stuff is intellectually fascinating and visually fluid and unique.

fori

Post by fori » March 16th, 2019, 11:02 pm

Don’t forget Kemonozume & Mind Game as well. Masaaki Yuasa has been the cool kids director for anime fans for a while now.

fori

Post by fori » March 18th, 2019, 12:52 am

Rewatching the 1969 Dororo just again cements that Tezuka is the greatest of all. Can’t believe how dismissive I was of it years ago. Can’t believe how fantastically talented that guy was. Amazing.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » March 18th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Are you also watching the new Dororo anime? If so, which one do you like better?

fori

Post by fori » March 18th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Haven’t seen it, but watching the ‘69 one again I doubt the new one could be better. I mean it could be (I’ll keep an open mind), but damn its predecessor is beyond atmospheric. It would have to be my favourite world masterpiece theater release now, and perhaps an all time classic. Man I was way too dismissive of it & ‘63 Astro Boy a few years ago. Also begun watching Moomin which I had never seen as well, really solid fun.
That whole scene of people like Tezuka and his disciples must have been amazing to be in. So many people in one place at one time who would all be greats in their own right. Rintaro, Go Nagai, Osamu Dezaki, Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gisaburou Sugii & Tezuka himself to name a few...

Worth adding that it is really cool to see the continued resurgence of Kazuhiro Furuhashi. As much as one can overstate the importance of directors in these things, it’s really cool to see him making a comeback.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » March 18th, 2019, 9:47 pm

I haven't watched either Dororo, but some of my favorite Tezuka anime are the Hi no Tori movies, Unico, and Bagi, the Monster of Mighty Nature.

I haven't read much of his manga, but I read 1 volume of Hi no Tori, 1 volume of Buddha, and about half of Ode to Kirihito. Hi no Tori is great so I need to finish it someday, but I keep procrastinating.

fori

Post by fori » March 18th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Yeah I’ve read a LOT of Tezuka, Hi no Tori is an incredible masterpiece, as are Black Jack, Dororo, M, Astro Boy & Buddha, and the rest is enjoyable as well (haven’t read everything though, not even close). The Hi no Tori trilogy is fantastic, and Unico was great, but I haven’t seen the Bagi feature, I need to see that. Also worth mentioning Dezaki’s Black Jack, The Two Doctors of Darkness, his experimental shorts, Saiyuuki, Blue Blink, & reiterating ‘63 Astro Boy are great.