Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 18th), 1954 awards (Jun 22nd), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: Scandal Sheet, July nominations (Jun 28th)

The Anime lounge

fori

Re: The Anime lounge

Post by fori » August 18th, 2018, 8:58 am

Again I disagree. The romantic story was ended so abruptly and awkwardly I was cringing. They had built up a narrative arc to the exclusion of other more interesting topics, but in the end decided to irreverently dismiss it with a few lines of terrible dialogue. In addition, yeah the mythology wasn’t explored ad nauseam, because it was barely touched on at all.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 18th, 2018, 9:06 am

fori wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 8:58 am
other more interesting topics
Some examples maybe, I have no idea what kind of topics you're talking about.
fori wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 8:58 am
yeah the mythology wasn’t explored ad nauseam, because it was barely touched on at all.
It was touched upon just the right amount for me. Enough to keep me interested, not too much to make it stupid.

fori

Post by fori » August 18th, 2018, 9:55 am

The mythology IS what I would have liked to see. Why would it be stupid for a crowdfunded movie to explore its proposed concept? Why would an elaborately animated take on Chinese mythology be stupid? It wouldn’t. What would be stupid would be to use this interesting concept as a backdrop to a poorly written teen romance. In a way it reminds me of the MSG Char’s Counterattack movie. A movie that provided a satisfying conclusion to the epic rivalry between Char and Amuro would have been amazing, but instead they decided to use that as a backdrop to introduce some terrible and uninteresting new characters for a romantic plotline.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 18th, 2018, 11:14 am

fori wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 9:55 am
The mythology IS what I would have liked to see. Why would it be stupid for a crowdfunded movie to explore its proposed concept? Why would an elaborately animated take on Chinese mythology be stupid?
Because mythology is stupid by design. I like it in whiffs and whims, once it gets too serious it becomes like horror with the lights on.

fori

Post by fori » August 18th, 2018, 11:23 am

Stupid? No what’s stupid is not being able to appreciate some of the most valuable stories filtered through thousands of human history, and instead dismissing all mythology ever. Yeah, they might not be true, but can’t the dreams of past generations be worth revisiting in the present? It’s mind boggling to me that one could say all mythology is stupid and exploration of such topics in a narrative movie is not worthwhile.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 18th, 2018, 12:19 pm

I'm not dismissing mythology as such, I'm dismissing it when taken too seriously or when handled in too much detail.
That said, Big Fish & Begonia is not Chinese mythology as far as I know, it contains some mythological elements combined with modern fantasy elements. And it's not as if romance isn't a big part of mythology or that these tales were told with a higher narrative standard. I get the love/friendship triangle didn't work for you, but substituting it with more fantasy wouldn't have made the film better.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 31st, 2018, 9:02 am

Not sure why I wanted to watch Full Metal Panic, it's actually pretty annoying.
I'm watching Macross though.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 31st, 2018, 9:05 am

MA KUU ROSS
MA KUU ROSS
MAAAAA KU ROOOOOSS

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 31st, 2018, 9:37 am

I prefer My Boyfriend Is A Pilot
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

fori

Post by fori » August 31st, 2018, 9:54 am

Oh god I can’t believe that movie got mentioned on this forum
Whoops you meant the Macross song, I don’t really remember any of them, I thought the soundtrack was pretty rubbish.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 31st, 2018, 9:57 am

that's good because if you keep watching the Macross franchise, it's referenced in like, every goddamn one of 'em.

I love that they're in space, probably limited resources, there's a race of aliens trying to constantly kill them all, but no, guys, wait, we need a professionally-lit stage and sound equipment, a television crew, the whole jazz, and a Lawrence Welk motherfucker to introduce our new Pop Goddess. "can't we wait til we're back on Earth for this shit?" NO!

LOVE SIGN

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 31st, 2018, 10:09 am

fori wrote:
August 31st, 2018, 9:54 am
Oh god I can’t believe that movie got mentioned on this forum
Whoops you meant the Macross song, I don’t really remember any of them, I thought the soundtrack was pretty rubbish.
The series not the movie
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 31st, 2018, 10:33 am

funkybusiness wrote:
August 31st, 2018, 9:57 am
that's good because if you keep watching the Macross franchise, it's referenced in like, every goddamn one of 'em.

I love that they're in space, probably limited resources, there's a race of aliens trying to constantly kill them all, but no, guys, wait, we need a professionally-lit stage and sound equipment, a television crew, the whole jazz, and a Lawrence Welk motherfucker to introduce our new Pop Goddess. "can't we wait til we're back on Earth for this shit?" NO!

LOVE SIGN
But you need to entertain the troops
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

fori

Post by fori » August 31st, 2018, 10:43 am

No the movie I was referring to was another anime film with a similar name

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 19th, 2018, 9:56 am

Armoreska wrote:
August 31st, 2018, 9:02 am
Not sure why I wanted to watch Full Metal Panic, it's actually pretty annoying.
I'm watching Macross though.
Beck's also a bit of a waste. I should stop watching it full time and finish later on. Also it doesn't end outside of manga, I find.

Hajime no Ippo next!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » October 4th, 2018, 3:43 am

Good luck with hajime no ippo. I got very sick of it very quickly.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 4th, 2018, 5:16 am

Meanwhile I finished Macross 1 and started Gundam 2 (Zeta).
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » October 4th, 2018, 7:01 am

Believing the sign of Zeta, beyond the hard times from now!!!! dundundundundun ba dun un! bakachow.

Love me some Neil Sedaka.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » October 15th, 2018, 10:49 pm

I don't know if this is "anime," exactly, but this bizarre Japanese short was a nifty discovery.

It doesn't even have an IMDb page, but I submitted it and hopefully it'll get added soon.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 16th, 2018, 6:35 am

I've seen it, and yes, it's anime. It's listed on anime websites. I'm not a big fan of Yoji Kuri, but it's my favorite Yoji Kuri film.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » October 16th, 2018, 7:26 am

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 16th, 2018, 11:01 am

1972! Hot damn, gonna add it to lists.

Should I watch more? I've seen some others, but I didn't rate them very high.
https://www.anime-planet.com/people/yoji-kuri
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 18th, 2018, 4:08 am

The Midnight Parasites has a different style compared to other Yoji Kuri films, so I can't think of any others to recommend, but there's a Yoji Kuri collection on BakaBT if you're interested.

If you're looking for more dark surreal anime shorts from the 70s, you might like Tabi (Armoreska has seen it but Ebbywebby hasn't).

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » October 18th, 2018, 5:21 am

I watched some other Kuri films in recent days...not as good, but I liked this one pretty well.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » October 18th, 2018, 5:22 am

I've had "Tabi" bookmarked on YouTube for awhile, but I think I was discouraged from watching it because of missing subs. Or something....

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » November 28th, 2018, 11:23 am

Almost done with Hajime no Ippo (not gonna watch the other seasons). It's pretty crazy I'm even finishing a show about dumb boxing (def not aimed at me being too simplistic-inspirational). Although it is of course at least entertaining as fiction. And not as cringy as it could have been.

Next up I have something called Giant Robo from 1992.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 18th, 2018, 9:02 pm

Has nobody seen Parasyte The Maxim yet? I see no visible checks from any forum people.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/kis ... kakuritsu/
Just started and so far so good. It's like the first series that comments on the ethical questions that have been on my agenda for the past year. I didn't even plan for this, just got lucky. Also based on The Thing, which is another great plus.

Looks like I also need to check out Attack on Titan - when it ends.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

fori

Post by fori » December 18th, 2018, 11:49 pm

TV Show - didn’t check. Barely checked any TV Shows.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 19th, 2018, 6:25 am

fori wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 11:49 pm
TV Show - didn’t check. Barely checked any TV Shows.
Not even mini-series?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

fori

Post by fori » December 19th, 2018, 12:37 pm

Parasyte is not a miniseries. I know the boundary is sketchy, but that show is definitely on the wrong side of it. Although I know someone will check anything they can find on IMDb to boost their overall count.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 19th, 2018, 1:25 pm

fori wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 12:37 pm
Parasyte is not a miniseries. I know the boundary is sketchy, but that show is definitely on the wrong side of it. Although I know someone will check anything they can find on IMDb to boost their overall count.
True, these people must have too much time on their hands.

meh 1 season is a mini-series by my standards. It doesn't look like it's going to be monster-of-the-week, and it's the same length as a 12-episode series (x45 min).

I can watch it in 1 sitting. It's a mini :P

Did you like it at all?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

fori

Post by fori » December 19th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Not really, I watched it when it was new and had all the hype, felt like just another edgy horror anime. It’s as though the methodology for making the series was the exact same as for making a slice of life show. Most anime is fucking garbage I have to say.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 22nd, 2018, 10:50 pm

Most media is garbage

fori

Post by fori » December 23rd, 2018, 1:09 am

Anime has perhaps the worst ratio of garbage to decent though. Nearly every corner of the industry is tainted in the current era, and the avg quality of not only the output as a whole, but also the output that attracts acclaim, is dismal.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » December 23rd, 2018, 1:26 am

If you mainly watch acclaimed anime series, I think the average quality is good.

I've seen 23 from this list: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/anim ... es/mjf314/

Some are great, some are good, and just a few are average. I wouldn't consider any of them bad (among the 23 that I've seen).

fori

Post by fori » December 23rd, 2018, 3:25 am

I’ve completed about 40 of those without really counting it properly. I have to agree, this collection has a lot of the best stuff that ever came to exist within the medium. However, even this list of the top stuff is pretty inconsistent, several shows here are actually rubbish in my opinion. My main focus as a viewer of the medium was/is usually the shows.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » December 23rd, 2018, 4:01 am

Which ones do you think are rubbish?

Of the 23 that I've seen, my least favorites are Giant Robo and Eve no Jikan (I think they're average). I disliked some parts of Gurren Lagann but overall I liked it.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 23rd, 2018, 8:31 am

mjf314 wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 4:01 am
Which ones do you think are rubbish?

Of the 23 that I've seen, my least favorites are Giant Robo and Eve no Jikan (I think they're average). I disliked some parts of Gurren Lagann but overall I liked it.
Well I liked Eve. Terra e though didn't work. Wow, Giant Robo sure is high.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

fori

Post by fori » December 23rd, 2018, 9:03 am

Garbage: Gintama, eve no jikan, bakemonogatari, gungrave
Underwhelming: cowboy bebop, cross game, gurren lagann, hachimitsu to clover, Steins;gate, baccano, nana, GITS: SAC, madoka magica, shin sekai yori, mugen no ryvius (feel mixed about putting it here, actually pretty good, but not doing heavy enough lifting to balance out the whole field), saiunkoku monogatari, chihayafuru, macross & ippo. To be honest at least five more deserve to be in here but I think you catch my drift and I don’t want to sound like I absolutely hate everything that is “underwhelming”.
The rest are either good or great.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 23rd, 2018, 9:35 am

fori wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 9:03 am
Garbage: bakemonogatari
Amazing show. The kind of thing you only find in anime, if only live action series dared to take this kind of risk.