Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

The Anime lounge

Post Reply
User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 3323
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

Re: The Anime lounge

#281

Post by Onderhond » May 22nd, 2019, 4:07 pm

Just read the French are getting a theatrical release of Promare. Couldn't be more jealous.

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 10943
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#282

Post by mjf314 » July 21st, 2019, 2:30 am

I finished Princess Tutu today. I think it started out good, but I got bored in the middle, and it got better near the end. Overall it was a disappointment.

It reminded me a little of Revolutionary Girl Utena, but I don't think it's as good as Utena.

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 11441
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

#283

Post by Armoreska » July 21st, 2019, 7:36 am

My experience is started at 7, dipped to 6, then ended with 8. Much better than Utena which started as an 8 then dipped to 6 by the middle and didn't end any better.
Image
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 3323
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#284

Post by Onderhond » July 21st, 2019, 9:06 am



With director credits for Koji Morimoto and Michael Arias, amongst a bunch of others. Coming to Netflix apparently.

User avatar
fori
Posts: 1248
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#285

Post by fori » July 21st, 2019, 9:16 am

Onderhond wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 9:06 am


With director credits for Koji Morimoto and Michael Arias, amongst a bunch of others. Coming to Netflix apparently.
Cool, I’d been wondering if the Neo Tokyo through to Short Peace limb of anime would live on. I guess so!

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 3323
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#286

Post by Onderhond » July 21st, 2019, 9:37 am

Anthologies seem like a perfect match for anime. It's an industry where the money is scarce but directors have a strong signature style and are allowed to push it through. Projects like Redline are doomed to fail (commercially at least), these anthologies are a much safer bet.

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 10943
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#287

Post by mjf314 » July 21st, 2019, 6:34 pm

Armoreska wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 7:36 am
My experience is started at 7, dipped to 6, then ended with 8. Much better than Utena which started as an 8 then dipped to 6 by the middle and didn't end any better.
Utena had some boring parts too, but I liked the good parts of Utena more than the good parts of Tutu.

wasabi
Posts: 221
Joined: Dec 28, 2016
Contact:

#288

Post by wasabi » July 22nd, 2019, 4:26 pm

I rewatched Kamisama Kiss, and loved it as much as saw it the first time. It's lovely, cute, and made me want to have a fox fairy again. Our Home's Fox Deity was the first animation made me want to have one.

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 10943
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#289

Post by mjf314 » September 14th, 2019, 11:40 pm

I watched Violet Evergarden. I thought it was very average. Luckily it's only 13 episodes. I probably wouldn't have finished it if it was longer.

User avatar
monty
Posts: 12787
Joined: May 09, 2011
Contact:

#290

Post by monty » September 15th, 2019, 11:42 am

fori wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 9:16 am
Onderhond wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 9:06 am


With director credits for Koji Morimoto and Michael Arias, amongst a bunch of others. Coming to Netflix apparently.
Cool, I’d been wondering if the Neo Tokyo through to Short Peace limb of anime would live on. I guess so!
Don't expect much of a story though. This seems to be more along the lines of an extended music video. Courtesy of country music singer-songwriter Sturgill Simpson, the animated Netflix film, “Sound & Fury,” is to be accompanied by a simultaneously released album this fall. The film consists of individual anime segments set against each song on Simpson's companion album.

User avatar
fori
Posts: 1248
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#291

Post by fori » September 21st, 2019, 7:20 am

monty wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 11:42 am
fori wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 9:16 am
Onderhond wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 9:06 am


With director credits for Koji Morimoto and Michael Arias, amongst a bunch of others. Coming to Netflix apparently.
Cool, I’d been wondering if the Neo Tokyo through to Short Peace limb of anime would live on. I guess so!
Don't expect much of a story though. This seems to be more along the lines of an extended music video. Courtesy of country music singer-songwriter Sturgill Simpson, the animated Netflix film, “Sound & Fury,” is to be accompanied by a simultaneously released album this fall. The film consists of individual anime segments set against each song on Simpson's companion album.
Don’t worry, anyone familiar with these sorts of compilations will know that narrative is often not a central aspect. Forgot to mention Modest heroes in my post though.

I recently watched the JoJo’s: Golden Wind series with my wife and surprisingly she loved it, and we’ve gone backwards through all the David Production shows and are now halfway through Stardust Crusaders. I’d seen them all before, but it’s been fun revisiting. The formula of series is so simple yet so effective. The start of Diamond is Unbreakable is still garbage though. Actually hyped for Stone Ocean now.

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 11441
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

#292

Post by Armoreska » January 17th, 2020, 11:16 pm

wow
Image
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 10943
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#293

Post by mjf314 » January 18th, 2020, 12:02 am

I'm 20 episodes into Shin Sekai Yori, and I like it so far.

wasabi
Posts: 221
Joined: Dec 28, 2016
Contact:

#294

Post by wasabi » January 18th, 2020, 2:38 am

I finished watching Mo Dao Zu Shi, and I liked it a lot. It's availabe on YouTube with English subs:

User avatar
fori
Posts: 1248
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#295

Post by fori » January 18th, 2020, 5:03 am

wasabi wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 2:38 am
I finished watching Mo Dao Zu Shi, and I liked it a lot. It's availabe on YouTube with English subs:
Season 3 when?!! Apparently the best storylines are in the next part of the book!!

wasabi
Posts: 221
Joined: Dec 28, 2016
Contact:

#296

Post by wasabi » January 18th, 2020, 6:05 am

@fori Some articles said it's gonna have Chibi animation in 2020. I basically read the book since I want to know the whole story.
@mjf314 I saw a few eps of the tv-series, I don't think I will finish it; however, the casting was really good.

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 10943
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#297

Post by mjf314 » January 22nd, 2020, 12:38 am

I started watching the J-drama, Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (2007). It's similar to Ouran High School Host Club, so I think fans of Ouran would like it.

User avatar
metaller
Donator
Posts: 2855
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
Contact:

#298

Post by metaller » January 22nd, 2020, 8:05 am

I think I'm getting old and instead of going for new stuff, I started a rewatch of Rurouni Kenshin. I still enjoy it about as much as I did back in the day as a teenager. No doubt though that the overall standard of animation quality is much higher today. I don't know when it started, because I didn't follow anime much for a lot of the 2000s and 2010s, but even the run-of-the-mill shows today look way better than even most prime of OVAs back then.

That said Kenshin still does look perfectly watchable, and I still just love the character design of that era.

I think I'll give Trigun a rewatch after that.

User avatar
flavo5000
Posts: 2528
Joined: Jul 10, 2014
Contact:

#299

Post by flavo5000 » January 24th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 4:07 pm
Just read the French are getting a theatrical release of Promare. Couldn't be more jealous.
I saw Promare in the theater late last year. That movie is a hell of a lot of fun in the theater especially. The visuals are so insane.

User avatar
flavo5000
Posts: 2528
Joined: Jul 10, 2014
Contact:

#300

Post by flavo5000 » January 24th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Just saw Weathering with You in the theater last week. It was a solid movie from Shinkai but not one of his best. Gets a little narratively muddy toward the end.

I also just watched Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky a couple days ago. That's an odd duck of a Gundam movie. None of the main characters are terribly likable and the soundtrack is crazy (although I really dug it for the most part). The action sequences with the free jazz score worked really well for me but the dialogue was just awful. Still unsure what to think of this one but will watch the next movie to close it out anyway.

Also watched a couple episodes of Magical Play which I found to be mostly just obnoxious and silly.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 3323
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#301

Post by Onderhond » January 24th, 2020, 2:59 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 2:45 pm
I saw Promare in the theater late last year. That movie is a hell of a lot of fun in the theater especially. The visuals are so insane.
Still waiting :verymad:

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 10943
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#302

Post by mjf314 » January 24th, 2020, 3:26 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 2:45 pm
Onderhond wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 4:07 pm
Just read the French are getting a theatrical release of Promare. Couldn't be more jealous.
I saw Promare in the theater late last year. That movie is a hell of a lot of fun in the theater especially. The visuals are so insane.
I saw it in the theater in October.

wasabi
Posts: 221
Joined: Dec 28, 2016
Contact:

#303

Post by wasabi » January 26th, 2020, 5:15 am

mjf314 wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 12:38 am
I started watching the J-drama, Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (2007). It's similar to Ouran High School Host Club, so I think fans of Ouran would like it.
Another one I saw long time ago but forgot to check.

Post Reply