Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1940s (Results), Shorts (Nov 16th), 2007 (Nov 22nd), 1932 awards (Nov 24th), Knockout competition (Round 3)
Challenges: Noir, Unofficial, Korean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Vuelven, December nominations (Nov 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 preparation (Nov 28th)
Film Festival: Main Slate, International, English-Language Independents, Documentaries, Arthouse, Animation, LGBT, Just Before Dawn (Dec 2nd)

DVD/BD Lounge

funkybusiness
Donator

Re: DVD/BD Lounge

Post by funkybusiness » October 16th, 2018, 12:30 am

January Criterion Titles:
#956. 24 Frames (2017)
#137. Notorious (1946)
#957. Mikey and Nicky (1976)
#958. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) FINALLY! 11 YEARS LATER!
#959. In the Heat of the Night (1967)

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » October 16th, 2018, 12:44 am

Ooooh! Kiarostami! Maybe next month the trilogy will be there!

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 15th, 2018, 9:27 pm

February Criterion Titles!
#960. La vérité (1960)
#961. Shame (1968)
#411. Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980)
#962. Death in Venice (1971)
#963. To Sleep With Anger (1990)

solid month

Kiarostami's Bread and Alley has a page on their website so I can only imagine the Koker Trilogy is coming soonTM.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » November 16th, 2018, 3:34 am

FINALLY an updated Berlin Alexanderplatz

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 16th, 2018, 3:47 am

Very excited about To Sleep With Anger in particular.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 16th, 2018, 4:16 am

weirdboy wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 3:34 am
FINALLY an updated Berlin Alexanderplatz
and a blu-ray at a lower price point than the dvd set!

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » November 16th, 2018, 4:55 am

Dammit! I was hoping for that Kiarostami set. Still waiting...

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 16th, 2018, 5:06 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 4:55 am
Dammit! I was hoping for that Kiarostami set. Still waiting...
Rosenbaum, who is working on the set, said "early 2019" so it ought to be soon.

albajos

Post by albajos » November 24th, 2018, 7:54 pm

Do we have a VHS lounge?

Anyway for DVD/BR, Black Friday yesterday, so I have ordered and pre-ordered for the next 6 months.

DVD
Prick Up Your Ears (it's a birthday presemt for someone else. For me I'll wait for a european edition BR as sone A is the only available now)

DVD Nor
Bare et liv
Battle
Blindsone
Bredo Greve - Filmrebell
Brillebjørn På Bondegården
For Vi Er Gutta
Hatets Vugge
Heart Of Lightness - Søvnløs I Lofoten
Hoggeren
Kutoppen
Lilyhammer - Season 3
Når Jeg Faller
Trondheimsreisen

BR - 3/4 of these are LGBT-themed. Strange that :P
The Children's Hour
Gia
Orange Is The New Black - Season 4
Westworld - Season 2

BR Nor
En Affære
Juleblod
Karsten Og Petra På Skattejakt
Mordene I Kongo
Månelyst I Flåklypa
Natta Pappa Henta Oss
Røverdatter
Skjelvet
VampyrVidar

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 26th, 2018, 8:12 pm

albajos wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 7:54 pm
Månelyst I Flåklypa
Wait, what??? There's a sequel to Flåklypa Grand Prix? Is it official?
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

albajos

Post by albajos » November 26th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 8:12 pm
albajos wrote:
Månelyst I Flåklypa
The characters are based on Kjell Aukrust's books and drawings. Just like the 1975 version. And it's stop motion as well (with 3D backgrounds)
So Reodor Felgen, Solan and Ludvig is back always inventing something new, but they never reflect on the race or anything.
And the animation squad one the three last ones had nothing to do with the 75 or 98 ones)

There has actually been 5 movies
Flåklypa Grand Prix (1975) - stop motion (car race, Il Tempo Gigante invented)
Solan, Ludvig og Gurin med reverompa (1998) - classic animation (they meet Gurin, not much plot besides that)
Solan og Ludvig - Jul i Flåklypa (2013) - stop motion (Christmas movie, they invent a snow machine)
Solan og Ludvig - Herfra til Flåklypa (2015) - stop motion (another race, but on smaller vehicles they have invented)
Solan og Ludvig - Månelyst I Flåklypa (2018) - stop motion (they invent a moon rocket)

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 26th, 2018, 8:35 pm

albajos wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 8:27 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 8:12 pm
albajos wrote:
Månelyst I Flåklypa
The characters are based on Kjell Aukrust's books and drawings. Just like the 1975 version. And it's stop motion as well (with 3D backgrounds)
So Reodor Felgen, Solan and Ludvig is back always inventing something new, but they never reflect on the race or anything.
And the animation squad one the three last ones had nothing to do with the 75 or 98 ones)

There has actually been 5 movies
Flåklypa Grand Prix (1975) - stop motion (car race, Il Tempo Gigante invented)
Solan, Ludvig og Gurin med reverompa (1998) - classic animation (they meet Gurin, not much plot besides that)
Solan og Ludvig - Jul i Flåklypa (2013) - stop motion (Christmas movie, they invent a snow machine)
Solan og Ludvig - Herfra til Flåklypa (2015) - stop motion (another race, but on smaller vehicles they have invented)
Solan og Ludvig - Månelyst I Flåklypa (2018) - stop motion (they invent a moon rocket)
I didn't know that, I thought they were Ivo Caprino's creation. I love Flåklypa Grand Prix and have the DVD. I keep wanting to get the blu-ray because it has the English soundtrack which my DVD hasn't, so the kids will be able to enjoy it fully. I should get on that.

Are the other movies anywhere near the quality of Flåklypa Grand Prix?
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 26th, 2018, 8:41 pm

In other news, I just had Ingmar Bergman's Cinema land on my doorstep. It's massive (like a coffee table book) and weighs more than 8 lbs (~4 kg). Unfortunately, two of the corners got a little dinged, so I'm going to have to have a little chat with the wife (her Christmas present) whether I should replace it or not. The downside is that the set is out of stock everywhere around here, so if she wants it replaced she may have to wait until late February for the replacement (or so they told me on the phone). Usually I wouldn't care about those dings, but... $150 is still real money.
ImageImageImageImage

albajos

Post by albajos » November 26th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Herfra til Flåklypa (2015) is fun. But it's hard to compare anything to Grand Prix.
That one doesn't misuse the familiar characters at least. (I give that one 8/10 and Jul i Flåklypa 7/10, Grand Prix is 10/10)

In other news from me too, I got the shipment from Iceland today, and they actually managed to send me the wrong movie.
So I got
Börn náttúrunnar (1991)
Hvíti víkingurinn (1991)
and I was supposed to get
the Hvíti víkingurinn (1991) mini-series too
but they sent me
Hrafninn flýgur (1984)
instead.

So no mini-series for me for the ongoing challenge

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 26th, 2018, 9:34 pm

I think I've actually seen Hrafninn flygur. Set in viking times and includes a scene in a dark cave where you see the wooden image of Odin? Something something outlaw? I must've seen it around the time it came out, I only have vague recollections of it, but the title stuck with me.
ImageImageImageImage

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 26th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 8:41 pm
In other news, I just had Ingmar Bergman's Cinema land on my doorstep. It's massive (like a coffee table book) and weighs more than 8 lbs (~4 kg). Unfortunately, two of the corners got a little dinged, so I'm going to have to have a little chat with the wife (her Christmas present) whether I should replace it or not. The downside is that the set is out of stock everywhere around here, so if she wants it replaced she may have to wait until late February for the replacement (or so they told me on the phone). Usually I wouldn't care about those dings, but... $150 is still real money.
absolutely get a replacement.

did you get it from B&N? $150 seems like a high enough cost for them to put it in decent packaging so as to not get all banged up but what do I know

albajos

Post by albajos » November 26th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 9:34 pm
I think I've actually seen Hrafninn flygur. Set in viking times and includes a scene in a dark cave where you see the wooden image of Odin? Something something outlaw? I must've seen it around the time it came out, I only have vague recollections of it, but the title stuck with me.
It's a trilogy (by theme, not by plot). And Odin is quite prominent in all 3. So might as well have been Hvíti víkingurinn or Í skugga hrafnsins you saw.

Timec

Post by Timec » November 27th, 2018, 1:24 am

Don't know if it's been mentioned here, but the Bergman set is NOT region locked. Wish Criterion could/would do that more often.

Anyways, I got the set from Amazon on Saturday. It's quite lovely (but also hefty) - now it's just a matter of finding the time to work through it.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 27th, 2018, 5:45 am

funkybusiness wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 9:46 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 8:41 pm
absolutely get a replacement.

did you get it from B&N? $150 seems like a high enough cost for them to put it in decent packaging so as to not get all banged up but what do I know
I spoke to the wife. She couldn't even see the small ding and didn't care at all about the second ding, so I guess we're keeping this one. FWIW, it's definitely packed well, it's a custom thick cardboard box that fits the set exactly, so I can only blame UPS for being rough on it.
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 27th, 2018, 5:46 am

albajos wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 9:54 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 9:34 pm
It's a trilogy (by theme, not by plot). And Odin is quite prominent in all 3. So might as well have been Hvíti víkingurinn or Í skugga hrafnsins you saw.
I guess I'll just have to watch all three to figure out which one I've seen already ;)
ImageImageImageImage

Mothravka

Post by Mothravka » December 11th, 2018, 10:12 am

I just noticed that L'enfant secret (1979) by Philippe Garrel is up for order on Blu-ray/DVD through RE:VOIR. Enjoy!

https://re-voir.com/shop/en/philippe-ga ... ecret.html

Coryn

Post by Coryn » December 11th, 2018, 12:37 pm

I'm so conflicted about buying dvd's. I love collecting things and movies are a passion of mine but dvd's seem to be so outdated. I am worried they will become non existent in a decade or so. On the other hand seeing movies on Netflix or other streaming platforms doesn't quite give me the same feeling as a physical good.

I wish something new would come out with the best quality but still a physical material to buy and collect but I guess it will only stay at hoping.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » December 11th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Coryn wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 12:37 pm
I'm so conflicted about buying dvd's. I love collecting things and movies are a passion of mine but dvd's seem to be so outdated. I am worried they will become non existent in a decade or so. On the other hand seeing movies on Netflix or other streaming platforms doesn't quite give me the same feeling as a physical good.

I wish something new would come out with the best quality but still a physical material to buy and collect but I guess it will only stay at hoping.
I know my dvds will be outdated in the near future, but I really enjoy watching these movies and having shelves full of movies I love. It will have been worth it in any case.

albajos

Post by albajos » December 11th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Yes, I have so many out of print that isn't available any other way (other than the national library for norwegian titles, but those are not for rent) so it is on so many cases the only option

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » December 11th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Coryn wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 12:37 pm

You mean 4K blurays? That’s the best physical medium for consumers now.
But of course I’m X years something better will come along again and those will become outdated also again.

But I don’t think DVD or (4K) Blu-ray’s will become absolutely obsolete like VHS or laserdiscs have in the coming decades. It’s been more than a decade since the introduction of Blu-ray and still there DVDs are also released.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » December 11th, 2018, 4:22 pm

You guys might be right but I still think there's a difference between buying dvd's and books for example. With books you know you got the best version of that book. Sometimes I watch DVDs I bought 10 years ago and think to myself that I could watch them in better quality on a streaming service.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » December 11th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Coryn wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 4:22 pm
You guys might be right but I still think there's a difference between buying dvd's and books for example. With books you know you got the best version of that book. Sometimes I watch DVDs I bought 10 years ago and think to myself that I could watch them in better quality on a streaming service.
35mm film and 4K UHD have approximately the same resolution, so it's unlikely that anything higher than 4K UHD will come along and render old formats obsolete. 70mm film has even higher resolution (approx. equal to the new 8K format), but that's a fairly rare format. 16mm film is approx. equal to 1080p blu-ray in terms of resolution.

Do keep in mind that there is a "diminishing returns" effect in play here. Think of the busts below as VHS, DVD, BD and 4K UHD BD:
While you do get "closer" to the ultimate home video experience with 4K UHD it may not necessarily be worth the wait for "everything" to come out on 4K (if it ever does). Personally, while I can see the appeal of 4K UHD, I think that "regular" old blu-rays are good enough for me for most of the time. I am, though, considering buying the upcoming 2001: A Space Odyssey on UHD because it's a 70mm film, but I don't have a 4K TV or UHD player, so it would just be for the included blu-ray and to have it for when we do get a 4K TV and UHD player.

Anecdote: We have a region-free blu-ray player, but it's one where you need to switch from region to region. One day I wasn't home, my eldest daughter (11) wanted to watch Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind that she'd just gotten for her birthday. She put the blu-ray disc in the blu-ray player, but the player was set to region B (Europe) and so the disc wouldn't play. My wife didn't know how to switch the regions, so my daughter ended up playing the DVD instead. I came home and she asked if she could watch the blu-ray now, I switched the region on the player and we started the movie. "Wow, it looks so much better than the DVD!" she exclaimed - and that was for an animated movie.

So if you want the ultimate, go for 4K UHD. If not, go for Blu-Rays. I think Blu-rays, if done well, are a substantial step up from DVD, but a well-made DVD can beat out a poorly done Blu-ray. YMMV.
ImageImageImageImage

albajos

Post by albajos » December 11th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Minor films are only released on DVDs here because of the cost of BR, so unless all these go over to digital distribution DVD will live on among the independents

Mothravka

Post by Mothravka » December 12th, 2018, 7:07 am

Cinema Guild have added a pre-order for the Blu-ray of The Day After (2017) by Hong Sang-soo on their site.

http://store.cinemaguild.com/homevideo/ ... /5269.html

It says that it will ship February 12, 2019. And I just ordered the South Korean Blu-ray yesterday! But at least the packaging and so looks better than this US version.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 14th, 2018, 10:33 pm

Criterion announced their March 2019 releases: https://www.criterion.com/shop/browse?p ... oming-soon

Japon (2002, Carlos Reygadas)

Detour (1945, Edgar G. Ulmer)

Wanda (1970, Barbara Loden)

I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978, Robert Zemeckis)

The Kid Brother (1927, Ted Wilde)

The Magic Flute (1975, Ingmar Bergman)
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 15th, 2018, 12:12 am

Isn't Detour public domain?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 15th, 2018, 12:26 am

weirdboy wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 12:12 am
yes, the film itself is public domain, but a new restoration such as the one they are releasing can be copyrighted. See: Charade for another example. I'm interested in seeing what the restoration looks like because the film has never looked good in any format ever. (because of its public domain status).

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 15th, 2018, 1:44 am

Yup, and the same situation held with a few previous Criterion releases, like His Girl Friday (which still doesn't look as good as it could to my eyes, but is certainly a vast improvement over what was available 10-20 years ago on video). I think Ride the Pink Horse might have been another example.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 15th, 2018, 2:02 am

yeah and Detour should be high quality as the restoration was done by The Film Foundation and Academy Film Archive, who did the Powell & Pressburger restorations, which are probably the best looking restorations in the Collection.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 15th, 2018, 2:19 am

How about Night of the Living Dead? Is the Criterion version of that a significant improvement over other releases?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 15th, 2018, 4:23 am

weirdboy wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 2:19 am
How about Night of the Living Dead? Is the Criterion version of that a significant improvement over other releases?
yeah that's another public domain film that has a 4k restoration by The Film Foundation and MOMA. You can check out the dvdbeaver comparison below and see how the CC edition has a better grain structure and "color" (less blue), which comes down to the transfer, restoration and overall encoding, and more information around the edges of the frame compared to previous transfers/blu-rays, occasionally, such as the screenshots featuring Duane Jones lower down the page, having somewhere in the range of 25% more of the frame! The CC edition also features the never-before-seen workprint entitled Night of Anubis (which is in really rough condition, but, it's an interesting extra).

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm

because Criterion and the restoration companies have something more of an "official" stamp of approval to work on these public domain films, working with the film's creators or production/distributing companies, they can access earlier sources of the film, sometimes the original camera negatives (I think that's the case for Night of the Living Dead), whereas run-of-the-mill near-bootleg copies will be sourced from whatever copy they can get their hands on, typically a screening positive copy or even a consumer-grade 16mm copy. Charade is really bad, I think most of the copies of that, excluding the CC, looked sourced from a VHS or other taped medium copy.

Minkin

Post by Minkin » December 15th, 2018, 12:34 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 12:26 am
weirdboy wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 12:12 am
yes, the film itself is public domain, but a new restoration such as the one they are releasing can be copyrighted. See: Charade for another example. I'm interested in seeing what the restoration looks like because the film has never looked good in any format ever. (because of its public domain status).
Here's the Janus trailer for Detour - which will give you an idea of the restoration:

The pages for films on Criterion's website usually includes a clip / trailer for the film + screenshots - which both give an idea of what to expect the Blu / DVD will look.

Criterion has released quite a few Public Domain (PD) films, which are typically a challenge - as the market is already overly saturated with cheap / free knock-offs. Like when Mill Creek announced a shitty blu-ray of Night of the Living Dead almost immediately after Romero's death (around the time people were expecting the Criterion edition). So, not many companies want to touch these films, as you have to bank on people wanting a better quality edition vs just having access to it (as is the case with non-PD films).

Charade is PD, but oddly enough - the soundtrack isn't PD! So PD versions of the film will have a different soundtrack included. There's all sorts of oddities like this. Such as Godzilla vs Megalon - of which the film is PD, but Godzilla is trademarked, thus it ends up not being PD in the end.

Off the top of my head - there's also: Carnival of Souls, Most Dangerous Game, 39 Steps, Lady Vanishes, Man Who Knew Too Much, His Girl Friday, Night of the Living Dead, Nanook of the North, Detour, etc. Though the films are in PD, the best elements and such are tied up with somebody - thus Criterion (and most companies like Shout, etc) license the films anyway - in order to avoid being sued (lest there be something weird or not actually PD) / access best material. As / if any additional films ever go into PD in the future due to their copyright ending (unless Disney has anything to say about this for the millionth time), more films will become available - in lower quality editions - but at least not be behind a paywall; and those who want higher quality editions can find the Criterions / etc for that end.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » December 15th, 2018, 5:35 pm

The Man With The Golden Arm is PD as well. As are all films released prior to 1923 (with the usual "restoration" exceptions).
ImageImageImageImage

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 15th, 2018, 5:45 pm

It's a Wonderful Life is one of the more famous examples, though that film has typically been available in at least half-decent copies since VHS days. Still the BD while good enough isn't spectacular and I suspect it's because Paramount didn't want to spend the money knowing how easy it was for people to see already and how many people already had copies by the time they put it out. I think the 1951 Scrooge might also be PD though a quick look on Wiki and IMDb doesn't show anything; certainly it's been available in a zillion poor transfers over the years.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 15th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Had no idea this was available, but Rosenbaum list official check The Adventures of Hajji Baba has been out on a Twilight Time BD since last January - there's a new review on DVD Beaver which isn't super-enthusiastic, but given that it has only previously been available in a mediocre DVD with Spanish hard subs, it's worth noting. TT stuff is always limited so I'm gonna order mine ASAP.