Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Coeur fidèle, September nominations (Aug 30th)

DVD/BD Lounge

Post Reply
User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

Re: DVD/BD Lounge

#721

Post by Ebbywebby » August 16th, 2018, 3:24 am

I don't know why spine-numbering is so critical...are the films being released on Criterion or not? Yes. If you go to the Criterion site and list the company inventory, the new Bergman films are listed individually. Add 'em. It's not like anyone is disputing the line drawn between "featured film" and "DVD extra"....

Nathan Treadway
Donator
Posts: 3670
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Contact:

#722

Post by Nathan Treadway » August 16th, 2018, 4:06 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 2:01 am
Added the numbered new entries.

I still don't have clarification on whether to include the Bergman set or not. It's not spine numbered, but other than that it certainly "feels" like a Criterion set in every way. I had hoped there'd be some interesting discussion here, but other than Minkin's contribution there hasn't really been any.
I'm conflicted as well. On one hand, this definitely feels like a Criterion, but on the other hand, a lack of a spine number opens a whole can of worms. Honestly, I'd probably leave it off, as that is a slippery slope. Most of what's in it is either already in and what's not has been hinted at being added in the future.

Nathan Treadway
Donator
Posts: 3670
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Contact:

#723

Post by Nathan Treadway » August 16th, 2018, 4:08 am

Ebbywebby wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 3:24 am
I don't know why spine-numbering is so critical...are the films being released on Criterion or not? Yes. If you go to the Criterion site and list the company inventory, the new Bergman films are listed individually. Add 'em. It's not like anyone is disputing the line drawn between "featured film" and "DVD extra"....
If you do that, how would you treat the EAH and Janus films titles?

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#724

Post by Ebbywebby » August 16th, 2018, 6:13 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 4:08 am
Ebbywebby wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 3:24 am
I don't know why spine-numbering is so critical...are the films being released on Criterion or not? Yes. If you go to the Criterion site and list the company inventory, the new Bergman films are listed individually. Add 'em. It's not like anyone is disputing the line drawn between "featured film" and "DVD extra"....
If you do that, how would you treat the EAH and Janus films titles?
You'll have to explain your question better...you may be monitoring the situation closer than I do.

Nathan Treadway
Donator
Posts: 3670
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Contact:

#725

Post by Nathan Treadway » August 16th, 2018, 9:22 am

Ebbywebby wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 6:13 am
Nathan Treadway wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 4:08 am
Ebbywebby wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 3:24 am
I don't know why spine-numbering is so critical...are the films being released on Criterion or not? Yes. If you go to the Criterion site and list the company inventory, the new Bergman films are listed individually. Add 'em. It's not like anyone is disputing the line drawn between "featured film" and "DVD extra"....
If you do that, how would you treat the EAH and Janus films titles?
You'll have to explain your question better...you may be monitoring the situation closer than I do.
There are a handful of films that was just released under the Essential Art House brand, likewise Janus Films. Should they be included in the list? Maybe merge the Eclipse into it as well? They were all released by Criterion. Then what to do with the very similar to the Bergman set , Kurosawa set? Adding the Bergman set would create a precedent that would probably be a headache to fix.

User avatar
weirdboy
Donator
Posts: 3436
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
Contact:

#726

Post by weirdboy » August 17th, 2018, 1:08 am

The criterion list had been inconsistent about the sets. Some non-numbered films from sets are on the list, and some are not. There are about a gazillion various documentaries and shorts without spine numbers on criterion discs that are not official criterion list items, but then there are also a bunch of short films (like all the Brakhage films) that are individually official checks.

My question is, if all those experimental shorts are official criterion checks, why aren't all the Beastie Boys anthology videos? It makes no sense.

So, I cannot say whether or not the Bergman stuff (that are not already official) should be counted or not. There are arguments either way given the disastrous inconsistency of the list so far.

User avatar
zuma
Donator
Posts: 1919
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#727

Post by zuma » August 17th, 2018, 3:09 am

I don't think it is inconsistent at all, with the exception of the Beastie Boys videos. You are 100% correct there.

It should be treated the same way as the other shorts collections (Brakhage, Frampton, Painleve) and have each short listed.

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9507
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#728

Post by Knaldskalle » August 17th, 2018, 3:28 am

weirdboy wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 1:08 am
The criterion list had been inconsistent about the sets. Some non-numbered films from sets are on the list, and some are not. There are about a gazillion various documentaries and shorts without spine numbers on criterion discs that are not official criterion list items, but then there are also a bunch of short films (like all the Brakhage films) that are individually official checks.

My question is, if all those experimental shorts are official criterion checks, why aren't all the Beastie Boys anthology videos? It makes no sense.

So, I cannot say whether or not the Bergman stuff (that are not already official) should be counted or not. There are arguments either way given the disastrous inconsistency of the list so far.
I think the reason why the Beastie Boys Anthology is one check is that it's available as a single entry on IMDb. None of the other shorts collections are (or were at the time they were added to the list). If they've been added since, I don't see a problem replacing the many entries with one.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#729

Post by Ebbywebby » August 17th, 2018, 4:59 am

I brought up the Beastie Boys issue not so long ago. It was generally resolved that the problem is that only a modest number of those 18 Beasties videos have separate IMDb pages.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22900
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#730

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 19th, 2018, 8:22 am

No wacky C, not an official Criterion release. Same as the Kurosawa set.

User avatar
weirdboy
Donator
Posts: 3436
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
Contact:

#731

Post by weirdboy » August 19th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Once again, a wacky C is not a requirement for it being an official Criterion release.

Last week I saw two different criterion spine-numbered DVDs of Wages of Fear circa mid-late 90's with different cover art, and neither had a wacky C on the cover.

User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 2599
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#732

Post by GruesomeTwosome » August 19th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Well, none of the Criterion releases from the '90s have the wacky C, they didn't start using that as their logo until 2006 I believe.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22900
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#733

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 19th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Does it say Criterion on the box? Old releases have the old criterion branding, new releases have the new criterion branding (wacky C).

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9507
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#734

Post by Knaldskalle » August 19th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Based on the images I've seen so far, the Wacky C doesn't appear prominently on the box, but it is visible on the discs (faint, but it's there):

Image
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Nathan Treadway
Donator
Posts: 3670
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Contact:

#735

Post by Nathan Treadway » August 19th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Really, the easiest, and most consistant way is based on spine number. No spine number, no list.

User avatar
weirdboy
Donator
Posts: 3436
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
Contact:

#736

Post by weirdboy » August 19th, 2018, 9:30 pm

OK just so we are all on the same page, here are some older criterions, including Beastie Boys.

You can see it has a spine number, and just like the two titles next to it, is an official release.

Image

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22900
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#737

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 19th, 2018, 10:00 pm

weirdboy wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 9:30 pm
OK just so we are all on the same page, here are some older criterions, including Beastie Boys.

You can see it has a spine number, and just like the two titles next to it, is an official release.

Image
No one disagrees the beastie boys anthology is official, and if all the videos were on imdb they would probably replace the single entry it has now.

I was talking about the Bergman set.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 3501
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#738

Post by OldAle1 » August 24th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Mohsen Makhmalbaf's "Poetic Trilogy" (Sokout, Gabbeh, The Gardener) comes out August 27th from Arrow - just in time for the end of the middle eastern challenge & poll. It's region free and here's the DVD Beaver review:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm

I saw the first two when they were new, don't remember them too well though I do remember how beautiful Gabbeh looked; anyway that one certainly seems a must in hi-def and it looks like another great Arrow release.

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10477
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

#739

Post by funkybusiness » August 24th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Speaking of trilogies on Blu-ray, I'm still waiting for the Pudovkin set from... Flicker Alley, I think.

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9507
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#740

Post by Knaldskalle » August 25th, 2018, 1:53 am

funkybusiness wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 11:22 pm
Speaking of trilogies on Blu-ray, I'm still waiting for the Pudovkin set from... Flicker Alley, I think.
Yeah... That was supposed to be this year, right? So we'll probably see it next year. They don't like deadlines at Flicker Alley. :)
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10477
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

#741

Post by funkybusiness » August 25th, 2018, 2:59 am

considering they haven't released many (...any?) of their silent films scheduled for 2017, yeah, it'll probably be awhile.

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5743
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#742

Post by albajos » August 25th, 2018, 8:43 am

Anyone know if the Criterion Olympics BR are zone free?

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10477
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

#743

Post by funkybusiness » August 25th, 2018, 9:03 am

region-A locked like every Criterion blu-ray.

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5743
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#744

Post by albajos » August 25th, 2018, 9:43 am

Oh well, then they just lost 200 dollars :p

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10477
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

#745

Post by funkybusiness » August 25th, 2018, 10:08 am

yeah, it's kinda weird as I don't think anyone else is going to release it in any other region, so, why not make it region-free (or at least put out a region-b coded set under the Criterion UK branch, even tho that would cost so much more money to author all 400 discs again (or, however many there are))

User avatar
Minkin
Posts: 343
Joined: Jan 13, 2015
Contact:

#746

Post by Minkin » August 25th, 2018, 10:55 am

Criterion announced they are releasing the Zatoichi set in the UK in November, so perhaps they aren't opposed to doing large boxsets in Region B as well. That or just buy a region free player (or even just have a Region A player shipped to you) - can likely pick one up for less than $50.

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5743
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#747

Post by albajos » August 25th, 2018, 10:59 am

I do have a Region A player, it's just too much hassle to set up. (I don't really use it as I only have 4-5 titles that I have already seen anyway)

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9507
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#748

Post by Knaldskalle » August 25th, 2018, 4:51 pm

I have a region-free player and boy do I take advantage of that! A little more than half of my blu-rays are from Europe (granted, many of those aren't region-locked, but still).
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10477
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

#749

Post by funkybusiness » September 17th, 2018, 9:08 pm

December Criterion titles:
#412. Sawdust and Tinsel (1953) BD upgrade
#953. A Dry White Season (1989)
#954. Forty Guns (1957) (+A Fuller Life (2013) as a bonus feature)
#955. Panique (1946) (+ a documentary about the history of...film subtitles)

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9507
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#750

Post by Knaldskalle » September 18th, 2018, 3:36 am

Huh. I saw A Dry White Season ages ago (1990 I think) in high school. We had a "theme" in English about Apartheid (then still in force) and our teacher showed this to us. Hadn't checked this until today..
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 2599
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#751

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 18th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Sawdust and Tinsel will also be part of that big Bergman box set too, right?
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

User avatar
Mothravka
Posts: 114
Joined: Jan 18, 2016
Location: Европа
Contact:

#752

Post by Mothravka » September 18th, 2018, 1:04 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 12:39 pm
Sawdust and Tinsel will also be part of that big Bergman box set too, right?
Yes, it is listed in the box set on the Criterion site.

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10477
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

#753

Post by funkybusiness » September 18th, 2018, 8:48 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 12:39 pm
Sawdust and Tinsel will also be part of that big Bergman box set too, right?
Yes but the assumption is the Bergman Box will be a limited release, one or two pressings for hardcore Bergmanists only, and so Criterion is putting out the "key" titles as solo releases, which will be just like any other Criterion release; in print until they lose the rights (which won't happen with the Bergman films because Janus has owned the US rights since the films were theatrically released).

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9507
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#754

Post by Knaldskalle » September 18th, 2018, 10:55 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 8:48 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 12:39 pm
Sawdust and Tinsel will also be part of that big Bergman box set too, right?
Yes but the assumption is the Bergman Box will be a limited release, one or two pressings for hardcore Bergmanists only, and so Criterion is putting out the "key" titles as solo releases, which will be just like any other Criterion release; in print until they lose the rights (which won't happen with the Bergman films because Janus has owned the US rights since the films were theatrically released).
I'm not sure about the limited thing (I've seen no indication of it being limited), but there's probably a fair amount of people who'd like the "key" Bergman films and aren't willing to cough up several hundred dollars for a box set just to get the few they want or care about.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
3rd
Posts: 1848
Joined: May 24, 2011
Contact:

#755

Post by 3rd » September 19th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Image

My pre-order of the month.
Last edited by 3rd on September 20th, 2018, 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neither a prude nor politically correct!
Minst sex års kritiskt granskande!

https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/3rd/

Timec
Posts: 1096
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#756

Post by Timec » September 19th, 2018, 7:27 pm

^ Looks lovely, and it'll go along great with the "Early Women Filmmakers" set Flicker Alley released a while ago.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 3501
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#757

Post by OldAle1 » September 19th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Is there much overlap between the two sets, asks the guy too lazy to check it out for himself?

User avatar
3rd
Posts: 1848
Joined: May 24, 2011
Contact:

#758

Post by 3rd » September 19th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Timec wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 7:27 pm
^ Looks lovely, and it'll go along great with the "Early Women Filmmakers" set Flicker Alley released a while ago.
Agree and that was another pre-order of the month last year for me.
Last edited by 3rd on September 20th, 2018, 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neither a prude nor politically correct!
Minst sex års kritiskt granskande!

https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/3rd/

User avatar
3rd
Posts: 1848
Joined: May 24, 2011
Contact:

#759

Post by 3rd » September 19th, 2018, 8:12 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 7:49 pm
Is there much overlap between the two sets, asks the guy too lazy to check it out for himself?
Much no, some yes.
Neither a prude nor politically correct!
Minst sex års kritiskt granskande!

https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/3rd/

User avatar
3rd
Posts: 1848
Joined: May 24, 2011
Contact:

#760

Post by 3rd » October 3rd, 2018, 11:03 am

Image

My pre-order of the month.
Neither a prude nor politically correct!
Minst sex års kritiskt granskande!

https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/3rd/

Post Reply