Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 18th), 1954 awards (Jun 22nd), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: Scandal Sheet, July nominations (Jun 28th)

DVD/BD Lounge

funkybusiness
Donator

Re: DVD/BD Lounge

Post by funkybusiness » July 13th, 2018, 1:13 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 1:08 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 7:58 pm
Dang, a 39-film Ingmar Bergman box set is coming from Criterion.
A must buy?
If you're into Bergman, certainly, it's something a steal. It's also a substantive improvement over the similar release AK:100, which were simply barebones dvds.

The press release makes it clear that
a. this release features both cuts of Scenes from a Marriage (which isn't 100% clear on the criterion page) and
b. the "major" films in the set will be released separately, and those currently DVD-only will be upgraded (such as the God Trilogy). (In case you don't want to have all of them? Or are only interested in a couple? I guess).

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 13th, 2018, 2:13 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
Daym... :blink: That's one sweeeet set! Already have Persona on blu, but I may just have to go for this one.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » July 13th, 2018, 2:44 am

The only criterion Ingmar films are have are the ones in the essential arthouse boxset.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 13th, 2018, 3:06 am

Just updated the Criterion list. 22 new additions, the remaining titles were already on there.

[Edit: I went from being 8 checks away from silver to 22 checks away. They always do that to me, same thing happened with the Olympic set.]
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 13th, 2018, 4:41 am

Oh man, it's nothing but overwhelming box sets being announced these days:

Fraggle Rock: The Complete Series.

I'm oddly nostalgic about this...
ImageImageImageImage

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » July 13th, 2018, 1:16 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 1:13 am
Nathan Treadway wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 1:08 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
A must buy?
If you're into Bergman, certainly, it's something a steal. It's also a substantive improvement over the similar release AK:100, which were simply barebones dvds.

The press release makes it clear that
a. this release features both cuts of Scenes from a Marriage (which isn't 100% clear on the criterion page) and
b. the "major" films in the set will be released separately, and those currently DVD-only will be upgraded (such as the God Trilogy). (In case you don't want to have all of them? Or are only interested in a couple? I guess).
Indeed. As a matter of fact, he's one of my favorite directors, and I only have one of his films(?!), Fanny and Alexander, which as it is, is one of the best Criterions out there as far as I'm concerned.

Now, waiting on the Kiarostami Koker set that Rosenbaum said is coming early next year!

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 16th, 2018, 7:54 pm

October Criterion announcements

089. Sisters (1973) Full upgrade
415. The Naked Prey (1965) Blu-ray upgrade
946. Eight Hours Don't Make a Day (1972)
947. Shampoo (1975)
948. The Princess Bride (1987)

damn, from a month where I was extremely interested in all but one, to a complete 180. But great news about the Fassbinder! (495min + a documentary over only two disc tho....)

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 16th, 2018, 8:36 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 7:54 pm
October Criterion announcements

089. Sisters (1973) Full upgrade
415. The Naked Prey (1965) Blu-ray upgrade
946. Eight Hours Don't Make a Day (1972)
947. Shampoo (1975)
948. The Princess Bride (1987)

damn, from a month where I was extremely interested in all but one, to a complete 180. But great news about the Fassbinder! (495min + a documentary over only two disc tho....)
I quite liked The Princess Bride when I saw it, but I've only seen it once so that's not enough to judge one way or the other. I might get it for the kids, I think they'll love it.

Updated iCM. Moved the new titles up above the Bergman titles, since they come out sooner. Given that the Bergman set apparently won't have a spine number, I'm no sure if we should actually include the whole lot. I can't remember what we did with the AK100 set, that's the most obvious analog to this set.

[EDIT: I just noticed that the AK100 set says "OUT OF PRINT," yet also "Ships August 7, 2018." Is it coming back into print?]

[EDIT 2: Red Beard DVD is "backordered" coming back... August 7, 2018. https://www.criterion.com/films/713-red-beard. Huh.]
ImageImageImageImage

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 16th, 2018, 8:50 pm

well, the AK100 set was not "Criterion branded" while the Bergman set seems to be, or at least according to covers on their website.
https://www.criterion.com/films/9883-madadayo
https://www.criterion.com/films/29512-a-ship-to-india

Looking at google images of the AK100 set, the discs do say "the Criterion Collection -- Janus Films" but they lack the traditional faded C around the disc (although it might've been too early for the current style.

but I just checked an older DVD disc cover and it had the old font of The Criterion Collection on it, whereas the AK100 set does not.

Basically, I think I'm saying I'm currently of the opinion that the Bergman boxset is a "Criterion title" while the AK100 set was not, but my opinion might change as more information comes out/reviewers start getting review copies and we see more detailed photographs.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 16th, 2018, 8:51 pm

The AK100 set has been OOP for a long time. I think they may have only made one or two printings of it.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 16th, 2018, 9:06 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 8:51 pm
The AK100 set has been OOP for a long time. I think they may have only made one or two printings of it.
That's my impression as well, hence my surprise at reading a shipping date! I guess it's a glitch, there's nothing on the page for the set itself, it's only on the pages of the films contained within the set.
ImageImageImageImage

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » July 16th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Do you mean the old AK100 is in the style of other old criterion titles like Harlan County USA?

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » July 16th, 2018, 10:10 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 8:50 pm
well, the AK100 set was not "Criterion branded" while the Bergman set seems to be, or at least according to covers on their website.

Looking at google images of the AK100 set, the discs do say "the Criterion Collection -- Janus Films" but they lack the traditional faded C around the disc (although it might've been too early for the current style.

but I just checked an older DVD disc cover and it had the old font of The Criterion Collection on it, whereas the AK100 set does not.

Basically, I think I'm saying I'm currently of the opinion that the Bergman boxset is a "Criterion title" while the AK100 set was not, but my opinion might change as more information comes out/reviewers start getting review copies and we see more detailed photographs.
We should probably wait until next month to ensure it does not have a spine number. If it doesn't, the Bergman films should be removed.

.....if you decide to keep it in the list you would be opening up a nasty can of worms as it will be the first films in the list without a spine number. There are a number of products without numbers that would have to be included such as the missing AK100, the Essential Art house box. Not even getting into the bonus films.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 16th, 2018, 10:37 pm

weirdboy wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 10:04 pm
Do you mean the old AK100 is in the style of other old criterion titles like Harlan County USA?
No, quite the opposite, it's in a completely unique style.

There are, if I remember correctly, 3 Criterion "styles".
1. The original, ugly font evenly spaced across the top, this was pre-#50-ish, you can see it on the old Andrei Rublyov dvd, Robocop, anything of that vintage. I believe this was ported over from the late Laserdisc style.
2. Then comes "bar"style, such as on Harlan County USA, which has the long underline bar and "The Criterion Collection" justified extreme right.
3. and then the "wacky C" as it is known, which has been around since the Rohmer boxset, ~#350.

AK100 features none of these styles.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 16th, 2018, 10:48 pm

I think I agree with zuma here (though, to be fair, I think Madadayo is the only AK100 title that didn't get either a "proper" Criterion release or an Eclipse Series release). We do know from the press release that a number of the titles included in the Bergman set will get standalone releases/upgrades (the "Film Trilogy" for instance).
ImageImageImageImage

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » July 16th, 2018, 11:58 pm

zuma wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 10:10 pm
funkybusiness wrote:

We should probably wait until next month to ensure it does not have a spine number. If it doesn't, the Bergman films should be removed.

.....if you decide to keep it in the list you would be opening up a nasty can of worms as it will be the first films in the list without a spine number. There are a number of products without numbers that would have to be included such as the missing AK100, the Essential Art house box. Not even getting into the bonus films.
The Essential Art House set is all in the collection with the exception of the documentaries.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » July 17th, 2018, 12:05 am

Kapo?

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 17th, 2018, 12:43 am

I removed the new entries of Bergman films from the Criterion Collection list on iCM. I'll re-add them later if it turns out they should be included on the list. Better to remove them soon after adding them than letting the issue linger, I think.
ImageImageImageImage

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding » July 17th, 2018, 3:13 am

Can we all take a minute to appreciate the packaging on The Princess Bride DVD/blu?

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » July 17th, 2018, 4:26 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 11:58 pm
zuma wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 10:10 pm
funkybusiness wrote:

The Essential Art House set is all in the collection with the exception of the documentaries.
But all those movies in the essential at house set are, or at least were, also available independently.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 17th, 2018, 4:55 am

Good_Will_Harding wrote:
July 17th, 2018, 3:13 am
Can we all take a minute to appreciate the packaging on The Princess Bride DVD/blu?

I'm still partial to the lettering of the title that can be read the same upside down.

Mothravka

Post by Mothravka » July 17th, 2018, 6:38 am

That packaging looks great. Too bad that the film itself is horrible.

Minkin

Post by Minkin » July 17th, 2018, 8:17 am

Well, I'll try and be a voice of reason, but I suppose no matter how well I argue - those holding the power will once again refuse to act...

Anyway, this is not the first Criterion box without a spine: the BBS Boxset doesn't have one, for instance.

The AK 100 set isn't a very apt comparison: it was a limited time barebones boxset of DVDs - all of which had been previously released except one film (which consequentially still hasn't come out yet). The AK 100 box included none of their typical branding: the discs + cases only had an "AK 100" motif -which created an image inside the box once they were all together). Here is what an AK 100 cover looked like:

The Bergman box is:

-a Blu-ray upgrade for all of the Eclipse titles / new films / and even upgrades for previous DVD + Blu releases (Seventh Seal gets a 4k restoration upgrade here).
-Includes the previous special features and adds in additional ones for films that are just now being released. This is the best mainline box evidence to me; if the set were just barebone discs (like AK 100 / Janus / etc) - I'd be pushing less for this.
-This will be the only way to purchase most all of these titles from Criterion + the only way to get a blu upgrade for several of the films that were previously mainline / Eclipse DVD-only
-Indicates that all films will have the traditional Criterion branding format

According to the press release, five of the films will still be getting separate releases /upgrades in the future:
Shame, The Magic Flute + the Bergman Film Trilogy (Through a Glass Darkly, The Silence, Winter Light). Some of the extras which will be on these "upgrades" are already listed in the special features of the box.

A better comparison would be to the Olympics set. This set also included a previous mainline title (Tokyo Olympiad) - and didn't include spine numbers for any of the individual films.

But there hasn't really been anything comparable. Essential Art House was clearly a separate line (like Eclipse) - meant to be budget barebones releases for already existing films - and they threw in a couple new films into the line before they lost the rights to Studio Canal (Last Holiday / Mayerling / etc). Merchant Ivory was another entire separately branded line of releases - Howard's End got moved into the mainline Criterion (it was originally just Blu, and then obsessive collectors complained + wanted the DVD to match the same look - despite being essentially the same disc). There was the Rialto box - of which it was just Rialto branding. Then there was also the Janus 50 years box - which also had no Criterion branding - just Janus Films. Unlike all of these, the Bergman box has standard Criterion branding + actually has special features (new ones + the ones on the previous individual discs).

Spine or no spine, this Bergman set is clearly meant to be part of the Criterion mainline, not a separate one-off thing. Just take a look at the old Eclipse cover vs new box cover:

Image Image

(Yes, Eclipse branding looks similar - but it has the "wacky E" rather than "wacky C" + it says "Eclipse From the Criterion Collection" on the side bar, not "The Criterion Collection" - which the Bergman / traditional mainline titles have).

It will only add 18 new films + 4 from Eclipse (-1: Shame - that they say will be coming in the future anyway) so 21 total - of which almost all of those films could use the extra love they'd get from being on the Criterion list.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 17th, 2018, 8:23 am

I'm with you, Minkin, that the evidence as it stands seems to suggest this new Bergman set as being a "Criterion Title", and not simply something released by Criterion. Now, my opinion might change with more information as we get closer to the actual release, but right now, that's where I'm at.

I suppose someone could just email Criterion and ask, they answer seemingly every email.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 18th, 2018, 12:11 am

Minkin wrote:
July 17th, 2018, 8:17 am
Anyway, this is not the first Criterion box without a spine: the BBS Boxset doesn't have one, for instance.
True. The Samurai Trilogy doesn't have one either. Nor does A Whit Stillman Trilogy, Trilogia de Guillermo del Toro, Andre Gregory & Wallace Shawn: 3 Films, Olivier's Shakespeare, Wrong Men and Notorious Women: Five Hitchcock Thrillers, Ingmar Bergman: Four Masterworks, Rebel Samurai: Sixties Swordplay Classics, Great Adaptations, Grey Gardens/Beales of Grey Gardens and Yojimbo/Sanjuro box sets. However, each and every title within those sets have a spine number.

Then there's the other way around, where the box set has a spine number, but the individual titles within do not: The Golden Age of Television, Zatoichi the Blind Swordsman, By Brakhage vol. 1 & 2, Les Blank: Always for Pleasure, The Kennedy Films of Robert Drew and Associates, Lone Wolf and Cub, and 100 Years of Olympic Films (I may have missed some). For this discussion, I think we can safely ignore Brakhage and the other short film compilations, but that still leaves us with a number of Criterion releases where only the box has a number.

I think we can all agree that the sets where both the box and the titles within have a spine number can be ignored in this context, they're about as uncontroversial as can be for this discussion.

Which leaves us with AK 100 where the box doesn't have a spine number and the titles within don't have a spine number. It is in that regard that the Bergman set is comparable to the AK 100 set.
Minkin wrote:
The AK 100 set isn't a very apt comparison: it was a limited time barebones boxset of DVDs - all of which had been previously released except one film (which consequentially still hasn't come out yet).
The AK 100 set came out December 8, 2009 (according to Amazon, I can't find anything on the new Criterion site with regards to release dates, annoyingly). The Eclipse Series 23, The First Films of Akira Kurosawa, came out August 3rd, 2010 (again, Amazon).

At this time we also don't know if the Bergman set will be a "limited time" set. I sure hope not, but you never know.
Minkin wrote:
The AK 100 box included none of their typical branding: the discs + cases only had an "AK 100" motif -which created an image inside the box once they were all together). Here is what an AK 100 cover looked like:

The Bergman set isn't really their usual branding either. No "Criterion Collection" or Wacky C visible anywhere, let alone the year and "A Continuing Series of..." that you usually find, nor the Wacky C on the spine of the box (which you find on their regular sets).

To be fair, though, it does look like the discs will be C-branded:
SpoilerShow
(it's easiest to see on the last disc on the right)
Minkin wrote:
-Includes the previous special features and adds in additional ones for films that are just now being released. This is the best mainline box evidence to me; if the set were just barebone discs (like AK 100 / Janus / etc) - I'd be pushing less for this.
See, I think this is where the argument breaks down for me. I fundamentally don't understand why the extras would make the difference between including the set and not including it.
Minkin wrote:
According to the press release, five of the films will still be getting separate releases /upgrades in the future:
Shame, The Magic Flute + the Bergman Film Trilogy (Through a Glass Darkly, The Silence, Winter Light). Some of the extras which will be on these "upgrades" are already listed in the special features of the box.
Shame is the only new title, the rest are upgrades/re-releases of existing Criterion titles.
Minkin wrote:
A better comparison would be to the Olympics set. This set also included a previous mainline title (Tokyo Olympiad) - and didn't include spine numbers for any of the individual films.
100 Years of Olympic Films has a spine number. #900. All Criterion had to do was give it a spine number and there'd be no debate whatsoever. They could've given it #950 or perhaps even gotten away with #1,000.

The only other thing Olympic Films set has in common with the Bergman set is that they were announced outside the regular cycle.
Minkin wrote:
Unlike all of these, the Bergman box has standard Criterion branding + actually has special features (new ones + the ones on the previous individual discs).
I'm not so sure you're right about that standard branding. See above.
Minkin wrote:
Spine or no spine, this Bergman set is clearly meant to be part of the Criterion mainline, not a separate one-off thing. Just take a look at the old Eclipse cover vs new box cover:

Image Image
Minkin wrote:
February 10th, 2016, 3:33 am
This whole "cover argument" is complete nonsense [...] Why does the art department at these companies somehow get treated as the definitive interpretation?
:P

But on a more serious note, it seems to me that the Bergman set is indeed intended to be a one-off (just look at the way they've stacked the discs on top of each other. That's going to be impossible to fit onto a standard blu-ray shelf). A very special one-off and I think that's the reason they're not giving it a spine number, it's supposed to be a unique set unlike anything they've ever published before.

And that is of course why we're even debating whether or not it counts as a Criterion Collection item in terms of iCM.

I'm not at all opposed to including the films on the list (hey, I already added them once), but I tend to agree that the Bergman set is similar to the AK 100 set (which was also a very special one-off) and should be treated like that, but I'm certainly open to arguments either way - and there are arguments either way, suggesting otherwise would be disingenuous. The solution might be to add the excluded AK 100 titles along with the new Bergman titles, I'm not opposed to that either (except we'd have to figure out where on the list they go, which is going to be a pain to deal with).

I guess we have a month to figure it out, the next regular announcement of November releases will be around August 15th.
ImageImageImageImage

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » July 18th, 2018, 12:17 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
July 18th, 2018, 12:11 am
But on a more serious note, it seems to me that the Bergman set is indeed intended to be a one-off (just look at the way they've stacked the discs on top of each other. That's going to be impossible to fit onto a standard blu-ray shelf). A very special one-off and I think that's the reason they're not giving it a spine number, it's supposed to be a unique set unlike anything they've ever published before.

It's exactly the same way the Essential Art House set is packaged.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 18th, 2018, 1:34 am

weirdboy wrote:
July 18th, 2018, 12:17 am
Knaldskalle wrote:
July 18th, 2018, 12:11 am

It's exactly the same way the Essential Art House set is packaged.
They're indeed very similar (which for some reason I didn't notice until you pointed it out), but the Bergman set has 2 discs per "page" where the Essential Art House has 4. I guess the Bergman set will be a little bit smaller...?
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImageImage

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » July 18th, 2018, 3:55 am

I really enjoy the importance of the word "wacky" in this debate.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 18th, 2018, 4:10 am

that's the correct terminology, ebby!!

Minkin

Post by Minkin » July 18th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Well, thanks for the great + thorough + fun reply + also for bringing up my past words to mince me with!

It really is an unusual set, and I honestly don't know why they felt the need to not put a spine # on it - its like they wanted us to have this argument! I suspect there's no spine # because the set is blu-ray only, and there's already been a contingent of obsessive DVD collectors who want to have their representation as well (see: Howard's End). Probably the best reason though: its not going to fit on your shelf if you're organizing by spine# - at least the Olympics + Zatoichi sets were made to be shelf-friendly, but this thing looks to be another story.

The nice thing about Criterion: they keep all of their stuff in print for as long as they possibly can (typically, only when rights change does something go OOP), thus I see no reason why this set would ever go OOP ever. Hell, you can still buy the Janus boxset from their website still! And that set includes films which they very much no longer have the rights to (The Third Man). Also just realized its called "Essential Art House: 50 Years of Janus Films".

If we do decide to add the AK 100 set, then it would only really affect one film: Madadayo (and I suppose also give the Eclipse sets a second list as well). I still 100% expect Madadayo to get its own separate release at some point, but I doubt we'll ever see most all of those Bergman films outside of this box, ever (how many people are clamoring for a separate release of All These Women??).

I think the bonus features play a big role here, since that's very unusual for these large Criterion boxes. Janus 50, Olympics, AK 100 - all didn't include any bonus features apart from the book. Zatoichi did have a separate disc of bonus features, but nothing related to any single film. Whereas this set appears to have everything Bergman that they've already had on disc + they're adding several new documentaries + bonus features for films that haven't been released yet (Shame) or been upgraded yet (Magic Flute) - and also add in that book. So it really is a celebration of Bergman: by throwing in everything they've done so far, upgrading everything (even some of the previously released Blu-rays will be upgraded here), and adding in new films.

Of the titles they hadn't upgraded a mainline DVD to blu yet - it seems that only Sawdust and Tinsel isn't going to get a separate upgrade (it wasn't mentioned in the forthcoming upgrade bit).

I guess the whole set just really "feels" like a mainline set. It includes all of the films and bonus features, and it upgrades a ton of them in one fell swoop + adds in a ton of new films/content/upgrades along the way. But I can see why that hypothetical die-hard collector will say "well, this is great and it saves me money, but I'm still going to buy the separate release of Shame and blu upgrades of all of those films, because I'm a completionist." So, I suppose we might have to defer to the "wisdom" of the completionist and question whether this box is or isn't a mainline release or a special edition side-line collection. If Criterion did release everything exclusive to the box on its own, that would also solve our problems, but as is, I'm having a more difficult time finding arguments.

I brought up the Olympics set - since it has a previously-released film in there, which previously existed separately, but is now only available in the big boxset, and its separate spine # isn't really marked anywhere within the confines of the set (though Criterion has hinted it might be a separate release at some point). But Olympics does have that spine# going for it.

I guess I'm just all for more representation for lesser films on ICM, and if that takes stretching the definition of what counts as a mainline title vs "bonus features" vs "box-sets" - than I'm on the all-inclusive end. For me, every Criterion is a box-set and the "bonus features" are just like the Olympics set - part of the packaging. But, I won't bring up that debate again!

I suppose we'll have to wait and see how this whole thing looks - and maybe the back of the packaging will include the traditional "A Continuing Series, etc" - then we'll finally have our answer! For most people were "concerned" about where the traditional branding would be on the Olympics set - and it wasn't until someone posted pics did that get settled.

I'm sorry that I seem soooo argumentative, I honestly hate debates and typically do everything in my power to avoid them (hard to believe, but I'm even that way with many causes that I should otherwise be a more vocal activist about) - but I guess I'm just super passionate about the direction I see ICM going and wanting to help influence that change! So, my apologies everyone for being rather annoying with these long-winded argumentative posts that ultimately don't go anywhere - I'll try to be a better member of the community (although I will write too much, regardless of subject)!

beavis

Post by beavis » July 18th, 2018, 7:23 pm

I always buy a lot, building on my collection of now well over 4000 pieces (boxes and single disc releases) of DVD and Bluray
once in a while I post a few highlights of the recent aquisitions on the MovieMeter forum... as an experiment I am porting that post to this thread, it might be of interest to some...

highlights of the recent additions to my collection:

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 19th, 2018, 2:13 am

4000 pieces? Christ, my wife is already giving me annoyed looks and I'm at... less than a tenth of that.

Nice collection, btw. You must've contributed to the Nucleus Films crowdfunding to get Death Laid An Egg/Lady Frankenstein so soon. Oh, and the deluxe velvet edition of Possession! Really nice!
ImageImageImageImage

beavis

Post by beavis » July 19th, 2018, 3:11 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
July 19th, 2018, 2:13 am
4000 pieces? Christ, my wife is already giving me annoyed looks and I'm at... less than a tenth of that.
I also have a vhs collection, and books (did away about 30% of those recently, but it is still enough to fill two cases), coins... I guess i like collections
Knaldskalle wrote:
July 19th, 2018, 2:13 am
Nice collection, btw. You must've contributed to the Nucleus Films crowdfunding to get Death Laid An Egg/Lady Frankenstein so soon. Oh, and the deluxe velvet edition of Possession! Really nice!
I did contribute. And am really pleased to now have all the Mondo Vision deluxe sets of Zulawski's films, they are amongst the most beautiful in the collection
Thanks!

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » August 2nd, 2018, 4:39 pm

Milestone Films is doing a Blu Ray sale 50-75% off

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 15th, 2018, 9:14 pm

New CC:
949. A Story from Chikamatsu
950. Some Like It Hot
951. True Stories
952. THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS

True Stories features the complete soundtrack on CD (first time ever). Magnificent Ambersons does not feature the cut material, because they didn't spend crazy money like a 17th century explorer to trawl all over Brazil looking for fabled footage that is almost certainly not there. A Story from Chikamatsu should have one of those really nice Kadokawa restorations (the other ones from them of the same vintage films have looked fantastic). Some Like It Hot features a terrible cover.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » August 15th, 2018, 9:22 pm

The Bergman box is also officially listed. Confirmed that there is no spine number on the set.

EDIT: Yeah the Some Like it Hot cover stinks, but I was equally appalled by what they did for True Stories. Barf.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » August 15th, 2018, 11:49 pm

I have a copy of the "Sounds from True Stories" soundtrack, but only on CASSETTE. Eek. Fun tracks, though. For instance,

What happened to the Criterion art department? I think "A Story of Chikamatsu" is the only cover of the four that doesn't stink.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 16th, 2018, 12:06 am

The Magnificent Ambersons is a great cover.

but really, tiny Curtis and Lemon lounging on digitally stretched and flattened Monroe? and all three are really bad cutouts? it looks like a reddit photoshop battle that someone threw together in 10 minutes.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 16th, 2018, 12:16 am

I like the Ambersons cover a lot, and the Chikamatsu is OK. But yeah, Some Like It Hot looks awful and True Stories is hardly better. Agree that the overall design quality has gone downhill.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 16th, 2018, 2:01 am

Added the numbered new entries.

I still don't have clarification on whether to include the Bergman set or not. It's not spine numbered, but other than that it certainly "feels" like a Criterion set in every way. I had hoped there'd be some interesting discussion here, but other than Minkin's contribution there hasn't really been any.
ImageImageImageImage