Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1940s (Results), Shorts (Nov 16th), 2007 (Nov 22nd), 1932 awards (Nov 24th), Knockout competition (Round 3)
Challenges: Noir, Unofficial, Korean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Vuelven, December nominations (Nov 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 preparation (Nov 28th)
Film Festival: Main Slate, International, English-Language Independents, Documentaries, Arthouse, Animation, LGBT, Just Before Dawn (Dec 2nd)

DVD/BD Lounge

Dolwphin

DVD/BD Lounge

Post by Dolwphin » July 16th, 2014, 8:30 pm

A thread where we can give recommendations and discuss upcoming releases. Someone suggested that this thread should be started so I decided to do it. These days I only purchase films from quality brands - that is releases with restored prints and supplements - and releases that are something special. Therefore maybe it can be a good idea to start this thread with some general recommendations about distributors:

* The Criterion Collection | Site | Catalogue

* The Masters of Cinema Series | Site | Catalogue

-

* BFI | Site
* Artificial Eye| Catalogue
* Second Run | Catalogue
* Edition Filmmuseum | Site
* Flicker Alley | Site
* Milestone Films | Catalogue
* Olive Films | Site
* Re:Voir | Site
* LUX | Site

-

Some recommendations:

* Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks
* Celestial Subway Lines
* I Am Cuba
* Jean Epstein
Top 300 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 16th, 2014, 9:20 pm

I'm not buying anything at the minute, but if I had the money I'd definitely be thinking of getting this:

http://shop.bfi.org.uk/pre-order-the-we ... 8bbmPldXQg

they also put out an Alain Robbe-Grillet boxset which looks nice.

elsewhere while they're not the most slick (still DVD only, often few extras), I think Second Run have the most consistently interesting releases in terms of expanding beyond established canon. Criterion in particular seems to have gone a bit 'safe' lately - the Pierre Etaix set is the last one that really stood out to me.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » July 16th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Herzog & Grillet box sets does look awesome.

I have heard that criticism about Criterion before and it is definitely true. But they still release some more obscure fair in their Eclipse-series and once in awhile they surprise you.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 16th, 2014, 9:50 pm

Dolwphin on Jul 16 2014, 03:29:56 PM wrote:I have heard that criticism about Criterion before and it is definitely true. But they still release some more obscure fair in their Eclipse-series and once in awhile they surprise you.
true. and at the end of the day, can't really fault them for putting out definitive versions of cast-iron classics ^_^

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » July 16th, 2014, 10:30 pm

brokenface on Jul 16 2014, 03:50:11 PM wrote:
Dolwphin on Jul 16 2014, 03:29:56 PM wrote:I have heard that criticism about Criterion before and it is definitely true. But they still release some more obscure fair in their Eclipse-series and once in awhile they surprise you.
true. and at the end of the day, can't really fault them for putting out definitive versions of cast-iron classics ^_^
Did you mean mainstream trash? No but seriously I can't blame them either.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 10th, 2014, 6:32 am

Apparently the Lionsgate Jean Renoir boxset is out of print. Those interested might want to pick it up while it's still at a reasonable price.

http://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Jean-Renoir- ... DVD/13908/

Features these titles: Whirlpool of Fate / Nana / Charleston Parade / The Little Match Girl / La Marseillaise / The Doctor's Horrible Experiment / The Elusive Corporal

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » August 10th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Got a region A bluray for my birthday (The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp Criterion) and dont have anything to play it with. Suggestions?

I probably need a new bluray player anyway, what are my options for something that plays both region A and B? Don't care if its an internal or external one.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » August 10th, 2014, 2:47 pm

I'm not sure about how European outlets and power works, but I got this one: http://www.220-electronics.com/lg-bp125 ... layer.html

It did come with an outlet converter, so I'm assuming that if you get the 240V feature it might be ok. Still, you're probably better off buying something European.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » August 10th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Now I can finally spend a good deal of money on my collection again.
I'll order at least one Criterion per month now (Jules et Jim and Blue is the Warmest Color are on the way).

When will Criterion finally announce the second Cinema Foundation box (A Brighter Summer Day, Manila, ...)? :(

PS: I heard Criterion would announce a Western boxset soon.
Last edited by Melvelet on August 10th, 2014, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current recommendation: Mutter Küsters' Fahrt zum Himmel (1975)

ImageImage

Current focus: Germany, Spain

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 10th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Lilarcor on Aug 10 2014, 07:36:00 AM wrote:Got a region A bluray for my birthday (The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp Criterion) and dont have anything to play it with. Suggestions?

I probably need a new bluray player anyway, what are my options for something that plays both region A and B? Don't care if its an internal or external one.
I haven't kept up with the arrival of HDTV's and new broadcast standards (DVB-T and all that), but getting a region-free DVD player used to be no problem in Europe, especially since almost all European TVs could handle the American TV Standard (NTSC has fewer lines than PAL does, so no problem). But now? Who knows...

One thing is getting the power to work, you need to make sure that the signal put out by the player can be read by the TV. I'd take a look at some of your local film importers' sites (I don't know any Swedish sites, alas, only laserdisken.dk, but they only sell upscale players, ~2000+ DKK).

There must be some small outfit that imports DVDs/Blu-Rays and mods Blu-Ray players.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 10th, 2014, 4:57 pm

Lilarcor on Aug 10 2014, 07:36:00 AM wrote:Got a region A bluray for my birthday (The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp Criterion) and dont have anything to play it with. Suggestions?

Return the present to the person who gave it. This is a stupid present. Who gives a region A bluray to a person in Europe unless you know he's got a region free player? :blink:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 10th, 2014, 5:04 pm

I thought region free players were pretty common in Europe. Maybe it was only true for DVDs?

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » August 10th, 2014, 5:09 pm

joachimt on Aug 10 2014, 10:57:32 AM wrote:

Return the present to the person who gave it. This is a stupid present. Who gives a region A bluray to a person in Europe unless you know he's got a region free player? :blink:
She didn't know about the whole region system, as she doesn't own anything on bluray herself. I've told her that I'll return it if getting a bluray player to play it becomes too much of a hassle. I need a new bluray-player anyway so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for the advice Knaldskalle.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » August 10th, 2014, 5:26 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Aug 10 2014, 11:04:30 AM wrote:I thought region free players were pretty common in Europe. Maybe it was only true for DVDs?
Not at all... I already made that mistake couple of years ago so I cannot play any BR Criterions with my Sony player... I did manage to get a hack remote to unlock the DVD part, but BR is impossible to unlock.

@ Lilarcor - I suggest you do a proper research prior to buying any BR player.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 10th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Lilarcor on Aug 10 2014, 11:09:04 AM wrote:
joachimt on Aug 10 2014, 10:57:32 AM wrote:

She didn't know about the whole region system, as she doesn't own anything on bluray herself. I've told her that I'll return it if getting a bluray player to play it becomes too much of a hassle. I need a new bluray-player anyway so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for the advice Knaldskalle.
My google-fu works even in Swedish!

http://dvdirect.net/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=73

(Although at these prices, buying a modded US model may be worth it, if you can get them to ship it to you. Maybe take a look at eBay? I paid something like $200 for an LG BPD125, which is the same price as the modding itself)

And apparently, if you flash/replace the firmware, you can do it yourself. You'll need a Panasonic player of a particular make and model and then you'll need to follow the instructions to the letter. There's a price tag on it, it's not free!

players: http://www.prisjakt.nu/kategori.php?k=606&t=6
firmware: http://www.firmwareinfo.com/viewforum.php?f=5
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » August 10th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Knaldskalle on Aug 10 2014, 12:14:26 PM wrote:
Lilarcor on Aug 10 2014, 11:09:04 AM wrote:
joachimt on Aug 10 2014, 10:57:32 AM wrote:Return the present to the person who gave it. This is a stupid present. Who gives a region A bluray to a person in Europe unless you know he's got a region free player? :blink:
My google-fu works even in Swedish!

http://dvdirect.net/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=73

(Although at these prices, buying a modded US model may be worth it, if you can get them to ship it to you. Maybe take a look at eBay? I paid something like $200 for an LG BPD125, which is the same price as the modding itself)

And apparently, if you flash/replace the firmware, you can do it yourself. You'll need a Panasonic player of a particular make and model and then you'll need to follow the instructions to the letter. There's a price tag on it, it's not free!

players: http://www.prisjakt.nu/kategori.php?k=606&t=6
firmware: http://www.firmwareinfo.com/viewforum.php?f=5
This is great! Thanks a lot. :worship:

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 10th, 2014, 7:31 pm

Melvelet on Aug 10 2014, 09:36:03 AM wrote:When will Criterion finally announce the second Cinema Foundation box (A Brighter Summer Day, Manila, ...)? :(

PS: I heard Criterion would announce a Western boxset soon.
December for the Cinema Foundation boxset, most likely. It will probably be an annual release.

They are releasing Monte Hellman's pair from the late 60s early next year and possibly in a boxset. That's all I've heard on the Western front other than the recently announced My Darling Clementine for October. They probably have a few classics in the pipline though. rumor is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » August 11th, 2014, 6:19 pm

I haven't ordered yet, but apparently you can get all Eureka/Master of Cinema releases for -15% (and good prices anyway) without shipping cost :D

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/store

ImageImage

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » August 11th, 2014, 6:26 pm

I bought my region free Bluray-player from dvddirect and it has worked smoothly for me.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 11th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Melvelet on Aug 11 2014, 12:19:00 PM wrote:I haven't ordered yet, but apparently you can get all Eureka/Master of Cinema releases for -15% (and good prices anyway) without shipping cost :D

Am I the only one not seeing "all" of the titles? No Tarnished Angels for one!

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » August 11th, 2014, 9:55 pm

funkybusiness on Aug 11 2014, 02:47:35 PM wrote:
Melvelet on Aug 11 2014, 12:19:00 PM wrote:I haven't ordered yet, but apparently you can get all Eureka/Master of Cinema releases for -15% (and good prices anyway) without shipping cost :D

yeah I don't think the whole catalogue is up yet.

I really don't like that you have to click on individual titles to see the price.

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » August 11th, 2014, 10:06 pm

Ok, I ordered Faust & Dr. Mabuse (1922) from Germany and really, no shipping cost :)
I guess I'll do another order (Insect Woman, Onibaba, Metropolis, Wake in Fright) incase it's still up in 1,5 weeks.

ImageImage

CMT

Post by CMT » August 12th, 2014, 3:10 am

With titles on Criterion and Masters of Cinema what is the difference in features?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 12th, 2014, 3:19 am

CMT on Aug 11 2014, 09:10:12 PM wrote:With titles on Criterion and Masters of Cinema what is the difference in features?
you mean you want to compare Criterion releases to Masters of Cinema release of the same title? Try dvdbeaver or blu-ray.com they tend to review everything from both companies and list all the special features.

CMT

Post by CMT » August 12th, 2014, 3:24 am

funkybusiness on Aug 11 2014, 09:19:31 PM wrote:
CMT on Aug 11 2014, 09:10:12 PM wrote:With titles on Criterion and Masters of Cinema what is the difference in features?
you mean you want to compare Criterion releases to Masters of Cinema release of the same title? Try dvdbeaver or blu-ray.com they tend to review everything from both companies and list all the special features.
Oh thanks I'll look there

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » August 12th, 2014, 3:25 am

Will there be a better MoC sale during the holidays?
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 13th, 2014, 5:15 am

funkybusiness on Aug 11 2014, 02:47:35 PM wrote:

it and Make Way for Tomorrow are showing up now that the sale is over. :/

aaand The Place Beyond the Pines is only $7.99 on Blu-ray+DVD+Digital Region free on amazon US right now. That's like -$10 it's usual price.

ya know. if you're into that sort of thing.

Noirville

Post by Noirville » August 14th, 2014, 10:57 pm

The age-old tale of the husband who has an affair with another woman after a few years of marriage is given a novel twist when the wronged wife suggests to her husband's mistress that they should share him!

This light-hearted drama is directed by multitalented writer, director and actor Miles Mander, with Madeleine Carroll – Mander's co-star in 1928's The First Born and soon to take a career-defining leading role in Hitchcock's The 39 Steps – heading a distinguished cast. Fascination is presented here in a brand-new High Definition transfer from the original film elements in its as-exhibited theatrical aspect ratio. STREET DATE: JANUARY 12.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14737

Is this the most 'obscure' film coming to Blu-ray yet? Fascination (1931) is awaiting a mere five votes on IMDb (whatever that means) and besides the names of the cast and the short article in the quote above I can't find anything else.

Can we consider this a rediscovery of a lost film or was this simply collecting dust in an archive for many decades before someone thought it would be a good idea to take it out of the shelf and bring it to Blu-ray... all of a sudden? What's the story behind this?

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » August 14th, 2014, 11:14 pm

Network do put out some real obscurities but that might well be the most obscure yet! very much doubt Madeleine Carroll is a big enough star to shift many copies of that one.

also on the obscure front, there's a listing on Amazon for an upcoming BFI Blu-Ray Pavel Klushantsev collection..60s Soviet sci-fi. They seem to have a lot of sci-fi upcoming actually.

CMT

Post by CMT » August 15th, 2014, 1:53 am

brokenface on Aug 14 2014, 05:14:14 PM wrote:Network do put out some real obscurities but that might well be the most obscure yet! very much doubt Madeleine Carroll is a big enough star to shift many copies of that one.

also on the obscure front, there's a listing on Amazon for an upcoming BFI Blu-Ray Pavel Klushantsev collection..60s Soviet sci-fi. They seem to have a lot of sci-fi upcoming actually.
Can you send a link, please? I can't seem to find it on the Amazon site.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » August 15th, 2014, 9:52 am

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klushantzev-Col ... 00MPJJ7Y4/

doesn't say anything about contents though..

Timec

Post by Timec » August 15th, 2014, 9:37 pm

And Criterion's November slate has been announced...

Les Blank documentary collection (14 of his films on Blu-ray, plus several more as extras!)
The Shooting/Ride in the Whirlwind
It Happened One Night
Tootsie
L'avventura upgrade

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » August 15th, 2014, 9:53 pm

Fun with Blank.

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » August 19th, 2014, 11:35 am

Eureka on Facebook:

We've just announced the latest slate of films set for release in The Masters of Cinema Series & Eureka! Classics collection. Releases in the Masters of Cinema Series include one of Fellini’s final masterpieces I Clowns; the breakthrough film from director Sijun [sic!] Suzuki, Youth of the Beast; Fritz Lang’s hugely influential story of intrigue, espionage, and blackmail, Spione; Raoul Walsh’s spectacular and award winning 1924 silent masterpiece The Thief of Bagdad starring Douglas Fairbanks; G.W Pabst’s 1929 masterwork starring screen icon Louise Brooks, Diary of a Lost Girl; the acclaimed silent era masterpiece from D.W. Griffith, Intolerance; and the 1934 film adaptation of Victor Hugo's novel of the same name, Raymond Bernard’s Les Misérables, starring Harry Baur. The Eureka Classics Collection sees the arrival of Blacula – the Complete Collection, the legacy of Dracula’s Soul Brother in a perfect midnight double bill featuring William Crain’s Blacula and Bob Kelljan’s Scream Blacula Scream starring Pam Grier (Jackie Brown). More to follow on this page...

ImageImage

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » October 9th, 2014, 8:22 pm

got this email for those interested:
For the next twenty-four hours at Criterion.com, all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs will be 50% off the suggested retail price (SRP). It’s the perfect time to get caught up with all our exciting recent releases, including brand-new editions of All That Jazz, The Innocents, Macbeth, Sundays and Cybèle, Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!, and Y tu mamá también. And just in time for the sale, our new director-approved edition of Eraserhead is back in stock! Just enter the promotional code SPIKE on your shopping cart page to apply the discount.

We’ve brought back our real-time dashboard, where you can see top sellers and what’s running low, plus categories like samurai films, literary adaptations, and more. And we’ll be adding new themes every few hours.
The code expires at 2 p.m. Eastern Time tomorrow, October 10, so don’t delay!

Noirville

Post by Noirville » October 10th, 2014, 12:04 am

There are preview images online on DVD Beaver of the upcoming Criterion Blu-ray of The Vanishing/Spoorloos (1988). It looks far, far, far too bright. These brightness settings are just awful and this movie deserves better.

<_<

Noirville

Post by Noirville » November 14th, 2014, 12:57 am

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » November 28th, 2014, 10:17 am

Next batch of Master of Cinemas:

Two for the Road (Donen)
Shoah + 4 films after Shoah (huge Lanzmann boxset)
The Offence (Lumet)
Wild River (Kazan)
Wooden Crosses (Bernard)
Satyricon (Fellini)
Man of the West (Mann)

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 28th, 2014, 10:44 am

They (well, Eureka, the parent company) are also releasing Ganja & Hess and The Other (1972). (and Life of Riley eventually...)

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » November 28th, 2014, 10:49 am

funkybusiness on Nov 28 2014, 03:44:23 AM wrote:They (well, Eureka, the parent company) are also releasing Ganja & Hess
:satstunned: :satstunned: :satstunned: :satstunned: :satstunned: :satstunned: :satstunned: