Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Jun 28th), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Il ferroviere, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2D: Estonia vs Spain (Jul 5th), Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Netflix

AdamH
Site Admin

Re: Netflix

Post by AdamH » June 26th, 2020, 9:15 am

I wish they would let you filter the films on Netflix by year or other things like that.

Its so annoying how you get shown the same films over and over again as recommendations. It puts me off the service. It's too hard to see what they have available and they keep trying to push certain films...presumably someone is paying for certain films to be advertised more prominently.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 26th, 2020, 10:29 am

AdamH wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 9:15 am
I wish they would let you filter the films on Netflix by year or other things like that.

Its so annoying how you get shown the same films over and over again as recommendations. It puts me off the service. It's too hard to see what they have available and they keep trying to push certain films...presumably someone is paying for certain films to be advertised more prominently.
If you want to use Netflix as a film fan, just rely on 3rd party websites. When you start using their services, browse the catalogue using such a 3rd party site and throw whatever looks interesting in you watch cue, after that just check daily for newly added releases. That's the only way to not miss something. If you're going to trust on their interface, you'll just end up being disappointed (which is a shame considering their library).

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 26th, 2020, 11:34 am

Onderhond wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 10:29 am
AdamH wrote:

If you want to use Netflix as a film fan, just rely on 3rd party websites. When you start using their services, browse the catalogue using such a 3rd party site and throw whatever looks interesting in you watch cue, after that just check daily for newly added releases. That's the only way to not miss something. If you're going to trust on their interface, you'll just end up being disappointed (which is a shame considering their library).
Are there good 3rd party websites for the UK version of Netflix? Lots of these sites tend to be aimed at the US Netflix.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » June 26th, 2020, 12:32 pm

AdamH wrote:

This! They make it difficult to find stuff you would actually be interested in. Then again, I'm generally not interested in about 90% of what they're offering anyway... but, tbh, I believe 8 EUR/month is a good price even for those 10%.. it's almost like a one movie ticket with popcorn.. and my understanding is that services like Netflix and Spotify actually are not doing that great since they have to pay a lot for the copyright and the margins they're getting are really low. This Covid thing may have helped them though...

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 26th, 2020, 12:56 pm

AdamH wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 11:34 am
Are there good 3rd party websites for the UK version of Netflix? Lots of these sites tend to be aimed at the US Netflix.
https://www.justwatch.com/ has plenty of country (and streaming platform) choices, that's probably a good way to start.

Or more Netflix-targeted sites like https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/whats-new/

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 26th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Onderhond wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 12:56 pm
AdamH wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 11:34 am
https://www.justwatch.com/ has plenty of country (and streaming platform) choices, that's probably a good way to start.

Or more Netflix-targeted sites like https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/whats-new/
Thanks. Truth be told, I don't use my Netflix account very often except for watching TV (Better Call Saul, for example) but I should probably take a better look at what is available in terms of films.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 26th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Keeping up with new things is a low-effort task, it's just part of my daily routine and I'm often surprised about the stuff they add. If you have a focus on "official" films I don't think it's really for you, but they do have a lot of interesting genre stuff popping up.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 26th, 2020, 1:08 pm

I don't really focus on official films. In fact, I watch far more TV than films nowadays and tend to watch films in specific areas I'm interested in (e.g. certain countries or directors or the occasional foray into 500<400 or recent big films).

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 26th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Then Netflix could be an interesting source. I found some really nice films there I would probably never had learned about through my usual ways of scouting films.