Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-A (Jan 16th), QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: Pisma myortvogo cheloveka

Found a good deal on a movie?

Knaldskalle

Re: Found a good deal on a movie?

Post by Knaldskalle » October 3rd, 2018, 4:31 am

Oh, and I also just picked up the UK (BFI) version of the blu-ray set of Pioneers of African American Cinema from base.com. Ex-VAT it came out to 20.66 GBP plus 4 GBP shipping (that's $28+$5.50). That's 50 GBP below MSRP.

The US version (from KINO) by comparison is MSRP'd at $100 and usually sells for around $60, lowest I've ever seen was $40.

ImageImage
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Mothravka

Post by Mothravka » October 3rd, 2018, 8:19 am

Pre-order is at £39.99 on Zavvi now:
https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/akio-jiss ... 15d1c51657

Mothravka

Post by Mothravka » October 12th, 2018, 10:24 am

October sale at Eureka now:
https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/news/eureka-october-sale

Maybe someone here is interested.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » October 16th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Criterion's 50% off Flash Sale is now live, for another 23 hours: https://www.criterion.com/shop
ImageImageImageImage

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 16th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Thanks for the tip, Knaldskalle!
I thrive best hermit-style.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Timec

Post by Timec » November 2nd, 2018, 3:37 pm

The Barnes and Noble 50% off Criterion sale started today. Probably a good time to pick up any of their November releases, including the Bergman set.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » November 2nd, 2018, 3:52 pm

Oh wow, forgot about the Barnes & Noble sale. I'll probably sit this one out; I'm still waiting on my order to arrive from the Criterion site's flash sale a few weeks ago. One of the films I bought was Ratcatcher which was on backorder and is holding things up.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 2nd, 2018, 7:37 pm

Well I’m going to be watching a lot of Bergman movies from December ;)

Thank for the update. Didn't know this started already. Thought it started on Black Friday.

Minkin

Post by Minkin » November 5th, 2018, 9:04 am

The Bergman set is 50% off at Amazon right now as well.

The set is also region-free for those on the fence.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 6th, 2018, 5:13 am

In addition to their Criterion Collection sale, B&N is also having an Arrow Video/Academy sale. 50% off MSRP, so most titles are around $20. Not fantastic as such, but the B&N coupons apply to Arrow titles (unlike Criterion), so you should be able to get an additional 15% off or so, fairly easily. The sale continues until January 6th 2019, apparently, so you may be able to snag some good Black Friday or Cyber Monday coupons and apply them to this sale.

And getting a little creative with things can save you even more. Right now B&N has a deal where buying a $75 gift card gets you a $10 reward card (valid only after 12/26). Buy two $75 gift cards, spend the gift cards on the Bergman set and come December 26 you can spend the two $10 reward cards on an Arrow movie and basically get it for free. And to make things even more enticing, B&N usually has a deal on Black Friday where you can buy a $50 gift card and get a $10 reward card.... That could potentially be $30 worth of free Arrow movies if you're getting the Bergman set (plus whatever coupons you can apply to those Arrow movies).
ImageImageImageImage

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » December 8th, 2018, 8:47 am

If anyone likes taking a punt on mis-prices, Amazon uk is currently selling Criterion Zatoichi set for 22 pounds:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zatoichi-Sword ... 07GNRVVSL/

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » December 8th, 2018, 11:54 pm

brokenface wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 8:47 am
If anyone likes taking a punt on mis-prices, Amazon uk is currently selling Criterion Zatoichi set for 22 pounds:

I paid $85 for that - and I thought it was a steal! Damn, that's a crazy good price!
ImageImageImageImage

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » December 9th, 2018, 11:03 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 11:54 pm
brokenface wrote:

I paid $85 for that - and I thought it was a steal! Damn, that's a crazy good price!
I'm dubious whether I'll actually receive it - certainly a bargain if I do!

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » January 2nd, 2019, 7:12 pm

brokenface wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 11:03 am
Knaldskalle wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 11:54 pm
brokenface wrote:

I'm dubious whether I'll actually receive it - certainly a bargain if I do!
Got delayed and, today, cancelled :( got a 5 pound voucher out of it though, so :party:

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » January 4th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Arrow films is having a Christmas Sale (that still lasts till january 9): https://arrowfilms.com/shop/christmas-sale/?pi=1 You can find offers on enjoyable directors like Fassbinder, Kitano, Makhmalbaf, Allen, Rohmer and many more or you could get a masterpiece like The Delta Force cheap.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 4th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 4:23 pm
Arrow films is having a Christmas Sale (that still lasts till january 9): https://arrowfilms.com/shop/christmas-sale/?pi=1 You can find offers on enjoyable directors like Fassbinder, Kitano, Makhmalbaf, Allen, Rohmer and many more or you could get a masterpiece like The Delta Force cheap.
Just did. Coffy (£5), Black Sunday (£7.50), Black Sabbath (£7.50) and The Killing/Killer's Kiss (£7.50) are all on their way to me. :)
ImageImageImageImage

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 4th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 7:27 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
Just did. Coffy (£5), Black Sunday (£7.50), Black Sabbath (£7.50) and The Killing/Killer's Kiss (£7.50) are all on their way to me. :)
Does Arrow's release of The Killing/Killer's Kiss use the same transfer as the earlier Criterion (which I own)? Or is it any different?

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 4th, 2019, 7:44 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 7:33 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
Does Arrow's release of The Killing/Killer's Kiss use the same transfer as the earlier Criterion (which I own)? Or is it any different?
DVDBeaver's review indicates possible differences for The Killing, but slight enough that most people won't be able to tell, no difference on KK; looks like the extras on the Arrow might be a little more interesting. I already have the Criterion and haven't even watched it so it's not gonna be on my to-buy list. If I had infinite resources though, at this point Arrow would be neck-and-neck with Criterion for the first label I'd be a completist on.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 4th, 2019, 7:46 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 7:33 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
The same master, but I'm guessing they did their own encoding:
"The HD master (for The Killing) was produced by The Criterion Collection and delivered by MGM via Hollywood Classics. The digital transfer was created in 2K resolution on a Scanity film scanner from the 35mm original camera negative. The original monaural soundtrack was remastered at 24-bit from the 35mm magnetic audio reels. All picture grading and restoration, as well as all audio work, was completed by The Criterion Collection.

Transfer supervisor: Lee Kline/Criterion.
Colorist: Sheri Eisenberg/Colorworks, Los Angeles.

The HD master (for Killer's Kiss) was supplied by MGM via Hollywood Classics."
blu-ray.com rated the video quality the same for the two releases (4.5/5):
The Killing: I don't see any notable discrepancies between the high-definition transfers the Region-B (Arrow Video) and Region-A (Criterion) releases use. Detail, clarity, and image depth are consistently pleasing, with the areas of the film where natural light is in abundance looking particularly good.
Killer's Kiss: There are some minor framing discrepancies between the high-definition transfers the Region-B and Region-A releases use, but their technical characteristics are virtually identical.
ImageImageImageImage

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 4th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Ah, thanks guys for the quick feedback. Yeah, Arrow is great, I have some of their U.S. releases...would ideally like to go region-free to take full advantage of their UK-only catalog. But I've been saying that for years now and still have a region-locked player, ugh.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » January 4th, 2019, 8:28 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
Do you know how much they charge for shipping in Europe ? Can' t figure out without registering… Tx!
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 4th, 2019, 8:49 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 8:13 pm
Ah, thanks guys for the quick feedback. Yeah, Arrow is great, I have some of their U.S. releases...would ideally like to go region-free to take full advantage of their UK-only catalog. But I've been saying that for years now and still have a region-locked player, ugh.
The extra cost of a region-free player has paid itself off many times in terms of savings on Region B titles compared to their US counterparts. I saved $10 just on The Killing/Killer's Kiss compared to the best price I can get in the US ($20 at B&N during sales). Doesn't take a lot of those deals to make up for the $150 I paid for our no-frills player. Even the UK versions of Arrow's own titles are often substantially cheaper than their US versions, so I'm buying UK versions whenever I can.

Another example: Kino released two different versions of Black Sabbath, the "International" version and the "US" version. You can find them on sale for around $10 each from time to time. Arrow put both versions on the same release. I just bough it for about $10. And the UK release is almost guaranteed to look better than the US releases (Kino doesn't care about their product, they rarely put any work into their releases).
I bought the BFI release of "Pioneers of African American Cinema" for $28. Kino's (original) version of that set has an MSRP of ~$100 and can be had for about $50 if you're patient and look around. I bought the Eureka MoC Ltd Ed. release of "The Man With A Movie Camera And Other Works by Dziga Vertov" for $19 when it came out. The US version (by Flicker Alley) is currently $34.99 on Amazon. I paid ~$35 for the UK Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection - the US version is $50 at its cheapest on Amazon, it's typically ~$75.

If you collect movies it makes no sense not to be region-free, at least if you live in North America. Your expand your selection of titles and versions and you have a much better chance of getting a good deal - savings you can put towards more movies (or food and rent, whatever).
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 4th, 2019, 8:51 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 8:28 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
Do you know how much they charge for shipping in Europe ? Can' t figure out without registering… Tx!
I think it depends on how much you order. I paid £2.54 for "no tracking" and could've paid £10.50 for tracking. These are to the US, so it should be the same or cheaper for Europe. If I'd ordered more there's a good chance the tracking option would be cheaper for me (and more appealing, obviously, since more money's on the line).
ImageImageImageImage

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » January 5th, 2019, 11:52 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 8:51 pm
hurluberlu wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 8:28 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
I think it depends on how much you order. I paid £2.54 for "no tracking" and could've paid £10.50 for tracking. These are to the US, so it should be the same or cheaper for Europe. If I'd ordered more there's a good chance the tracking option would be cheaper for me (and more appealing, obviously, since more money's on the line).
It eventually cost me £5.5 without tracking for 8 BR including three box sets so more than reasonable... :thumbsup:
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » January 9th, 2019, 9:33 pm

2 for £20 on Second Run titles on BFI Shop (extra 15% off for members) for anyone interested in (mostly)Central/Eastern European films that no other company would dare take a chance on.

https://shop.bfi.org.uk/dvd-blu-ray/second-run.html

Looks like it's DVD only, oh well. :ermm:

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » January 10th, 2019, 12:29 am

Ivan0716 wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 9:33 pm
2 for £20 on Second Run titles on BFI Shop (extra 15% off for members) for anyone interested in (mostly)Central/Eastern European films that no other company would dare take a chance on.

https://shop.bfi.org.uk/dvd-blu-ray/second-run.html

Looks like it's DVD only, oh well. :ermm:
Most of their catalogue is DVD only. They are upgrading some, but I can't imagine they'll do most, so it's DVD or nothing in a lot of cases.