Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Order your film preferences

Ralf

Order your film preferences

Post by Ralf »

We all look for different things in a film, so I thought it'd be interesting to rank your preferences regarding all basic aspects of a film based by on how important they are (from a personal point of view):
  • Story
  • Script
  • Music
  • Directing (incl. cinematography, editing, style, etc.)
  • Special effects
  • Acting
By story I mean the general plot, by script I mean dialogue. I wasn't sure about including special effects at first because they're not that, uh, prevailing... but I know there are many a folk who love the FX / CGI wizardry.

I'd rank them:
1. Script
2. Acting
3. Directing
4. Story
5. Special effects
6. Music

I personally like a well-written film with good acting that's badly directed rather than vice versa. I rarely watch movies for the story and focus more on how they're made... music I don't care about whatsoever, I rarely even notice it.
Any categories I may have forgotten?
Last edited by Ralf on August 1st, 2013, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

I'd probably rank Directorial choices as my main concern. A director can work with bad examples of any of the other categories and still make a good film by making smart choices but the best of any of the other categories can be ruined by making a poor directorial choice.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I need a mixture of all things. I can't say a film needs to have ONE thing to be good; it needs everything to be good. However, in a general sense:

1. Script
2. Acting
3. Story
--
4. Directing
5. Special effects
6. Music

I rarely notice music. Special effects are only important when they help carry the story - particularly for films like science fiction when the setting is a character itself, and sometimes for horror (I prefer 80s style effects to CGI stuff). I'm not entirely sure how to judge directing. I feel it really depends on the type of film and the top 3 aspects.

Script/acting/story go hand in hand for me I think. Story is important but with a crappy script, it ends up being pointless. With a good script/good acting, even dull stories can become interesting; eg, Douce. Which sounds totally uninteresting, even when I recount the plot to myself, but the acting is so great, it really comes alive.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

Acting
Directing (incl. cinematography, editing, style, etc.)
Script
Story
Music
Special effects
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

I don't think I can consistently rank these, except to say that script often pulls toward the front; I'm a word girl.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Yea it really depends on the case. I find that I prefer films that are based on the director's choices and atmosphere though because they're usually plotless, so there's less to judge. Music will be near the bottom most of the time but when it comes to silent films they become incredibly important to me.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

Yes, this is a bit like asking which leg of the chair I'm sitting on is the most important, but what the heck, I'll give it a shot, with one addition:

1. Ideas Explored, Expressed
2. Script
3. Story
4. Acting
5. Directing
6. Music
7. Special effects

Seems crazy having directing so low, but that's what making such an artificially discrete list does.

It's easy to discount music relative to the other elements, but it often operates on the viewer subconsciously. I guess you could often say of a soundtrack what they usually say about soccer/football refs: if it's doing its job well, you don't notice it's there.
serri

Post by serri »

I'm not even sure story would be on my list.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

I don't think I could make a ranked list because of the things I care about, (Story, dialogue, themes, direction) none of them are individually vital and anyone of them can overcome shoddy execution in the others if it's great enough. It's all about how those things are balanced.

Acting just has to meet a basic threshold of not pulling me out of the film, though excellent performances can help enhance the things I care about, acting alone will never save a film for me.

The rest don't matter at all.
tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq »

Screenplay/Script
Acting
Story
Directing
Music

Special Effects don't matter..
Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

ArthurYanthar on Aug 1 2013, 10:53:12 PM wrote:(...) Music will be near the bottom most of the time but when it comes to silent films they become incredibly important to me.
To me, the great thing about watching silent films is that you can choose your very own music. There IS no official soundtrack, most of the times.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
metaller
Donator

Post by metaller »

I can't rank it clearly and I can like films for a magnitude of reasons. Nearly any film can be easily sold to me, as long as it doesn't do things badly.

But I would express the things I'm looking for something like this:

1. Theme and directorial interpretation
2. Cinematography
3. Story and script
4. Atmosphere and music

All other things have to be done either extrmely well or extremely bad to influence my liking of a film (I recognise good acting, but it doesn't enhance my general enjoyment of the film. Acting needs only to be sufficient. But bad acting can hinder my enjoyment of the film). The same is true for example for special effects.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
metaller
Donator

Post by metaller »

PeacefulAnarchy on Aug 2 2013, 12:26:47 AM wrote:I don't think I could make a ranked list because of the things I care about, (Story, dialogue, themes, direction) none of them are individually vital and anyone of them can overcome shoddy execution in the others if it's great enough. It's all about how those things are balanced.

Acting just has to meet a basic threshold of not pulling me out of the film, though excellent performances can help enhance the things I care about, acting alone will never save a film for me.

The rest don't matter at all.
I could have also just quoted this.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I'm gonna do the ultimate cop-out and say that it depends entirely on the film. For example, script, story, special effects and acting aren't even needed to make a great film - but the greatness of a film can depend heavily on either one of those. A strong script + story can be delivered perfectly without particularly grand direction/visuals as well.

Overall though visuals + direction is clearly the most important aspect as it's the part of cinema you cannot get away from no matter what. It needs to be there (unless you want to present a blue frama, and hell, even then the "director" chose to do that) and it needs to be done at the very least relatively well for the end product to be good.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I guess
1.FX
2.Music
3.Directing
4.Story
5.Acting
6.Script

although I can do with just the script, i.e. stand-up comedy
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x »

Very hard to rate and indeed depends on specific film, I mean there are films (and a lot of them for that matter!) where not all of the items are present in the first place :)

I guess it would be like this:

Script
Acting
Directing
Story
Music
Special effects

Not sure what's meant by "special effects" in separate category as opposed to what we normally call "visuals", i.e. cinematography (which are under directing), it's a bit confusing classification.
Last edited by bal3x on August 2nd, 2013, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coopaloop

Post by Coopaloop »

metaller on Aug 2 2013, 05:13:30 AM wrote:I can't rank it clearly and I can like films for a magnitude of reasons. Nearly any film can be easily sold to me, as long as it doesn't do things badly.

But I would express the things I'm looking for something like this:

1. Theme and directorial interpretation
2. Cinematography
3. Story and script
4. Atmosphere and music

All other things have to be done either extrmely well or extremely bad to influence my liking of a film (I recognise good acting, but it doesn't enhance my general enjoyment of the film. Acting needs only to be sufficient. But bad acting can hinder my enjoyment of the film). The same is true for example for special effects.
Completely agree with this order. I would say, also, that there exists a big difference between the type of films films if you switch 3 and 4. If you put 4 above 3.
Last edited by Coopaloop on August 2nd, 2013, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Armoreska on Aug 2 2013, 06:03:58 AM wrote:I guess
1.FX
2.Music
3.Directing
4.Story
5.Acting
6.Script

I thought the top of your list would have been 'short runtime'. :P
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

joachimt on Aug 2 2013, 11:50:00 AM wrote:
1.FX
2.Music
3.Directing
4.Story
5.Acting
6.Script

:( no fair, I rank 110th on the mini-series list
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484

Armoreska on Aug 2 2013, 01:40:45 PM wrote:
1.FX
2.Music
3.Directing
4.Story
5.Acting
6.Script

Special effects is your primary interest in a film?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

1.FX
2.Music
3.Directing
4.Story
5.Acting
6.Script

Alright, you win. You've got three times as much checks than me on that list. I'm ranked 1992.
(isn't there a sweet sorry-emoticon?)
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Aug 2 2013, 01:46:17 PM wrote:
joachimt on Aug 2 2013, 11:50:00 AM wrote:I thought the top of your list would have been 'short runtime'. :P
Nahh just flaming you all
Spoiler: click to toggle
It's hard to say. Probably so.
Is that bad?
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler

Armoreska on Aug 2 2013, 02:35:47 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Aug 2 2013, 01:46:17 PM wrote:
Armoreska on Aug 2 2013, 01:40:45 PM wrote: :( no fair, I rank 110th on the mini-series list
Nahh just flaming you all
Spoiler: click to toggle
It's hard to say. Probably so.
Is that bad?
Your prerogative, of course. Just a little surprising for an ICM-er.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Special effects are important depending on the film... And the lack of effects still counts as 'effects' right? Imagine something like American Werewolf in London or Jurassic Park without the awesome effects. I can't see either of them working as well. Same with the general kind of effects for horror movies in the 80s, and stuff like Brain Dead. Much cooler than crappy CGI. On the other hand, crappy CGI can totally ruin a film. Or for films like Demon Island, just make an already terrible film even more painful to watch.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

mightysparks on Aug 2 2013, 02:47:07 PM wrote:Special effects are important depending on the film... And the lack of effects still counts as 'effects' right? Imagine something like American Werewolf in London or Jurassic Park without the awesome effects. I can't see either of them working as well. Same with the general kind of effects for horror movies in the 80s, and stuff like Brain Dead. Much cooler than crappy CGI. On the other hand, crappy CGI can totally ruin a film. Or for films like Demon Island, just make an already terrible film even more painful to watch.
Sure, there are often times when special effects simply floor me, and I just marvel at the spectacle.

On the other hand, I love the way that every once in a while they'll take a classic from world literature and "update it for modern audiences," by which they mean they'll downplay and simplify the ideas and boring stuff like that and cram it with gratuitous special effects. I've seen a few of these, but one recent production of A Christmas Carol really sticks out in my mind.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

mightysparks on Aug 2 2013, 02:47:07 PM wrote:Special effects are important depending on the film... And the lack of effects still counts as 'effects' right? Imagine something like American Werewolf in London or Jurassic Park without the awesome effects. I can't see either of them working as well. Same with the general kind of effects for horror movies in the 80s, and stuff like Brain Dead. Much cooler than crappy CGI. On the other hand, crappy CGI can totally ruin a film. Or for films like Demon Island, just make an already terrible film even more painful to watch.
I'm with you on practical effects, whenever I see a contemporary horror flick utilize puppets and the like I pop a ginormous boner. Kinda takes me back to my childhood in a way, and makes the film and its makers seem less 'lazy' ! But I guess here you can ask yourself if you'd prefer a horror movie with an excellent script and bad effects or a horror movie with a bad script and amazing effects - although of course you can find great examples of both! In the case of Jurassic Park, I wouldn't sacrifice those effects for anything that's for sure!! I saw the 3D re-release and I was head over heels! In fact that's one of the few movies where that music score and those special effects - and neither of which do I consider essential to a film - are absolutely pivotal!
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Well, as I said in my original post - I believe it depends entirely on the film. I can't completely discount one aspect of film, because for certain films that one thing may be the most important thing (or you know, contribute heavily to its awesomeness). I wouldn't choose a horror movie with a good script + bad effects or a horror movie with a bad script + good effects - I'd just take a good horror movie :P Although for horror, I'd go more with atmosphere and tension - with at least a little sense of humour - over anything else.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

1. Directing
2. Music
3. Special effects
4. Script
5. Acting
6. Story
Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Dolwphin on Aug 3 2013, 05:15:18 PM wrote:1. Directing
2. Music
3. Special effects
4. Script
5. Acting
6. Story
now that's something I can relate to!
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

1. Directing (cinematography & compositions, tempo, editing are an essential part)
2. Music
3. Story
4. Acting
5. Ideas, themes, overall meaning
6. Script / dialogue

Needless to say that for a slapstick comedy, the cinematography won't play as much of a role and in a 200-mio-dollar budgeted FX fest I won't have to decipher a deeper meaning, but for most of my film choices I primarily look at the how and not the what.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

mightysparks wrote: August 2nd, 2013, 12:02 am I need a mixture of all things. I can't say a film needs to have ONE thing to be good; it needs everything to be good. However, in a general sense:

1. Script
2. Acting
3. Story
--
4. Directing
5. Special effects
6. Music
Still agree with my point, but have changed my preferences:

1. Story
2. Script
3. Acting
--
4. Music
5. Special effects
6. Directing

Also way too many other important things missing here (visuals, editing, production, etc). 'Directing' doesn't mean anything to me.

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

1. Directing
2. Directing
3. Directing
4. Directing
5. Directing
6. Script
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

What is your opinion on this peculiarity "actors" in films? They seem to be everywhere.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

1. direction absolutely at the top. A good director can make a good film out of anything, whereas a mediocre director can turn the most interesting subject matter into mediocrity.

2. Probably cinematography. The CinemaScape of a film is pretty important to me whatever technique or style is employed.

3. The soundscape. While I enjoy some silent films, and silent passages in films, the soundscape which includes music as well as ambient sound is very important in most movies I like.

4. Probably editing, which determines so much about a film and how we experience it.

5. Not short selling script, especially as my own background is in writing, but it is nothing more than an initial blueprint of the “story” to me, and all of the other factors above determine more about how much I will like the film, and often function as a revisionary process, though some writer / directors Tend to follow their scripts to a T.

6. They are all important, just as performances can be (a good one can carry a film, and a bad one can ruin it, and the same is true for any of the elements listed above). A good film can be driven by any of them (though there is usually some kind of combination), even exclude some altogether, and how good a film is usually comes down to the participants involved, beginning with the director.
Last edited by cinewest on October 28th, 2020, 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

If it doesn't have a top notch best boy, key grip and caterer, I don't even bother.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

1. Directing (or visuals)
2. Script
3. Music
4. Special effects
5. Story
6. Acting

Depending on the movie or genre, this can change. For biographies, i value story more. Cinematography is by far the most important, acting the least (i've never seen a movie with really bad acting I believe. I don't think I care all that much. Actors & actresses generally are skilled enough to deliver a good performance so i'm not worried. When the acting is bad, the script, directing & story often are too.

OR

1. Atmosphere and music
2. Cinematography
3. Story and script
4. Theme and directorial interpretation

I want to experience, not analyze!
Last edited by Lakigigar on February 17th, 2021, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

1. Whatever the film is interested in

Really though, I think this is a rather silly question.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Teproc wrote: February 17th, 2021, 4:42 pm 1. Whatever the film is interested in

Really though, I think this is a rather silly question.
For which we still assembled a few interesting thoughts and answers, don't you think?

Leading to: There are no silly questions!
:sweat: