Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

The Science Fiction Lounge

Coopaloop

The Science Fiction Lounge

Post by Coopaloop »

This is the place to post anything about this wonderful movie genre.

Coopaloop

Post by Coopaloop »

What sci fi's have you seen recently? I was surprised by Oblivion. Was pretty solid actually.

I quite like 50s sci fi. Mostly for camp value but also because i have always had a soft spot for them. They inspired the italians to replicate them a decade later with disastrous results. I saw Wild, Wild Planet (1965) the other day. Pretty funny actually.
Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

It feels like I haven't seen any sci-fi for ages, but I'll be participating in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge next month.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
Coopaloop

Post by Coopaloop »

Oh sign me up. Thanks for the heads up!
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

I may be sexist but you cannot have a woman as Dr Who, they will be making them Prime Minister next, and that would really be hit and miss! ;)
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:
Eve-Lang-El-Coup

Post by Eve-Lang-El-Coup »

Cippenham on Jul 16 2017, 10:33:31 AM wrote:I may be sexist but you cannot have a woman as Dr Who, they will be making them Prime Minister next, and that would really be hit and miss! ;)
Haha, what?
nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen »

new film by Kornél Mundruczó: Jupiter holdja AKA Jupiter's Moon is sci-fi http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5842890/
only seen Delta by him but interested

also theres part 2 out of trilogy (first being Moon) by Duncan Jones called Mute, not well received but probably will watch it
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Thanks for bumping this.

Anybody seen Annihilation yet? I'll probably go this week, it won't last that long in the cinema. Very mixed feelings about Garland's work so far as writer, and I didn't love his first directorial effort as much as most people did, so a bit apprehensive. But any SF film that isn't all-action I'll usually try to see in the cinema if possible.
Here's to the fools who dream.
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Saw it over the weekend, and it’s definitely worth checking out. I don’t know if I’d go all the way to calling it “great” but it’s very interesting from a purely conceptual standpoint, is largely visually interesting, and has solid acting all around. I think it’d be right up your alley, but just keep your expectations in check for sure. And yeah, wanting to support not only original, adult oriented sci-fi films but also films with predominantly female casts (especially mainstream genre films) is as good as reason to support it as any.
Last edited by Good_Will_Harding on February 26th, 2018, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

it's going straight to Netflix here which is quite annoying as sounds like a good one for cinema. The new Duncan Jones one Mute has done the same. Guess this is becoming the new normal for non-franchise stuff.
timmy_501

Post by timmy_501 »

nimimerkillinen on Feb 26 2018, 10:25:24 AM wrote:new film by Kornél Mundruczó: Jupiter holdja AKA Jupiter's Moon is sci-fi http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5842890/

also theres part 2 out of trilogy (first being Moon) by Duncan Jones called Mute, not well received but probably will watch it
Delta was quite good, about time for me to see another of his films. Looks like it might be hard to get hold of though.

Very cool to hear about the new Duncan Jones also, glad I stopped by tonight.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

timmy_501 on Mar 20 2018, 12:27:53 AM wrote:
nimimerkillinen on Feb 26 2018, 10:25:24 AM wrote:new film by Kornél Mundruczó: Jupiter holdja AKA Jupiter's Moon is sci-fi http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5842890/

Delta was quite good, about time for me to see another of his films. Looks like it might be hard to get hold of though.

Very cool to hear about the new Duncan Jones also, glad I stopped by tonight.
good to hear from you timmy!
nimimerkillinen

OldAle1 on Feb 26 2018, 10:32:06 AM wrote:Thanks for bumping this.

Anybody seen Annihilation yet? I'll probably go this week, it won't last that long in the cinema. Very mixed feelings about Garland's work so far as writer, and I didn't love his first directorial effort as much as most people did, so a bit apprehensive. But any SF film that isn't all-action I'll usually try to see in the cinema if possible.
first part was pretty generic but enjoyed the last part
nimimerkillinen

New movie by directors of Resolution and Spring is out! Called The Endless
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3986820/reference
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I'm adding every sci-fi award list of nominees
Hugo (450 titles), Nebula (130), Saturn (probz 500+)
and on the lighter side: Seiun and Jules Verne

bout 140 hugos to watch and only 25 nebulas
still watching The Twilight Zone though
wonder how Saturn will shake down

good to know the Hugos love The Good Place (winner 3 years in a row). started watching just the other week
Last edited by Armoreska on February 19th, 2021, 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

Armoreska wrote: February 19th, 2021, 8:43 pm I'm adding every sci-fi award list of nominees
Hugo (450 titles), Nebula (130), Saturn (probz 500+)
and on the lighter side: Seiun and Jules Verne
Adding them to what?
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

ICM?

If anyone also always wanted to listen to Orson's pre-Kane works but couldn't find a list to concentrate on, other than just his all known War of the Worlds, here's a list of retrohugo nominees in the category that usually goes to various movies:
Around the World in Eighty Days, A Christmas Carol, Dracula, Donovan's Brain
(War is the only one that won one of those)
3 of those are pretty tired stories but at least the last one would be a fresh listen

they're on youtube
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484