Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Movie Pet Hates

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

xianjiro wrote: December 19th, 2020, 4:09 am
pitchorneirda wrote: December 18th, 2020, 8:31 pm
joachimt wrote: December 18th, 2020, 4:42 pm
Don't let it get to you too much, pitch. Just move on.
:lol: :lol:
Should have seen it coming but haven't
Really. It's okay. We all feel this way from time to time, but it really gets better - or at least, we learn to live with the emotion and it's pain fades. I can't promise it will go away, but you can learn to go forward.
I hear ya. I've been there man. I feel your pain. Time heals all wounds. The flowers will still bloom in the springtime. The yearly cycle continues, the snow will fade, the grass will grow. Only time can mend a broken heart. People who really believe in mindless platitudes will end up roasting in hell with the rest of us.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

OldAle1 wrote: December 19th, 2020, 7:40 pm
xianjiro wrote: December 19th, 2020, 4:09 am
pitchorneirda wrote: December 18th, 2020, 8:31 pm

:lol: :lol:
Should have seen it coming but haven't
Really. It's okay. We all feel this way from time to time, but it really gets better - or at least, we learn to live with the emotion and it's pain fades. I can't promise it will go away, but you can learn to go forward.
I hear ya. I've been there man. I feel your pain. Time heals all wounds. The flowers will still bloom in the springtime. The yearly cycle continues, the snow will fade, the grass will grow. Only time can mend a broken heart. People who really believe in mindless platitudes will end up roasting in hell with the rest of us.
Platitudes spring eternal!
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

White subs on white background! Come on! UGH! I just want to bonk someone on the head.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Crime movies where a huge part of the plot relies on very sloppy policework. Example:
dead body in office
person A walks in, sees gun, picks it up, then sees body
person B walks in, sees person A with gun in hand and sees dead body
The police never looks further than person A, even though this person hasn't got any reason to kill the man.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

yeah, and that sloppy police work is going to send person A to the gas chamber, right?
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Until person A is saved at the last minute by a brave, crusading alcoholic reporter, just fired that morning for mouthing off one too many times to the city editor, and his plucky girlfriend!
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

you forgot sexy - have to work sexy in there, like sexy city editor
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I think that goes without saying. Females are sexy. Unless they are maiden aunts or grandmothers or something. Or the occasional wisecracking Thelma Ritter type, but she wouldn't be the girlfriend.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Metal in movies. It's almost always the most awful sounding garbage, so to most people it's a confirmation that metal is just horrible noise.
(watching Sound of Metal now)
ICM-profile
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Do you mean metal music?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

xianjiro wrote: February 25th, 2021, 8:32 pm Do you mean metal music?
Haha, yes, of course. :facepalm:

I didn't mean metal garbage. :lol:
ICM-profile
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Fight scenes where somebody has a gun but only uses it when far enough away that it will likely miss - anytime it's a close-in fight, even the bad guys disregard their guns. Saw this last night in a cheap Filipino exploitation film, but I think it's common enough in low-rent action films everywhere, particularly martial arts-oriented examples.

"Ooh, I missed that lady with my snub-nosed .38 from 30 meters, I'd better run up close her, drop my gun and let her kick me in the head".
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

joachimt wrote: February 25th, 2021, 9:06 pm

When I first read your post, I admit that metal garbage cans was my first thought, especially since I don't often encounter metal music in the movies I watch (though Rush featured prominently last night). I'm surprised more metal isn't used, but then again, definitions of metal probably vary depending on how familiar one is. I'm sure some scoff at the idea of Rush being metal while others think of it as ghastly noise.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

OldAle1 wrote: February 25th, 2021, 9:11 pm Fight scenes where somebody has a gun but only uses it when far enough away that it will likely miss - anytime it's a close-in fight, even the bad guys disregard their guns. Saw this last night in a cheap Filipino exploitation film, but I think it's common enough in low-rent action films everywhere, particularly martial arts-oriented examples.

"Ooh, I missed that lady with my snub-nosed .38 from 30 meters, I'd better run up close her, drop my gun and let her kick me in the head".
or the variation often found in cops 'n' robbers flicks - the robbers unleash a hail of hundreds of rounds but the cops are just fine. When the cops shoot, they hit their target every time. One caveat - it depends a bit which side the protagonist is on, so its the protagonists that have great accuracy but the other guys couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a tank pointed right at it. That's what really fries my (vegan) bacon.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

joachimt wrote: February 25th, 2021, 9:06 pm

Is there a difference? :think:
Spoiler
tehe
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*