Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-A (Jan 16th), QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: Pisma myortvogo cheloveka

Movie Pet Hates

HVM

Movie Pet Hates

Post by HVM » March 23rd, 2016, 2:45 pm

Gershwin on Mar 23 2016, 07:39:10 AM wrote:
HVM on Mar 22 2016, 06:18:34 PM wrote:
Gershwin on Mar 22 2016, 08:22:23 AM wrote:Only Angels Have Wings. Would have expected a bit better from Hawks, but then again, who in Hollywood has ever given a single shit about foreign languages? :shrug:
Almost everyone in The Shop Around the Corner has a Czech/Slavic surname. It's set in Budapest. It's like a film based in Barcelona have the characters have German/Swedish surnames. Possible? Yes? Plausible? No. Skål.
Salud! Or wasn't that what you Slovakians say? :teehee:

:cheers:
Si, claro.

1918 - 100 - 2018

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » March 23rd, 2016, 4:58 pm

treadwaynathan on Mar 22 2016, 05:19:32 PM wrote:Stranger walks into a bar and orders a beer. Bartender fills the order without asking the stranger to specify.
A dog walks into a bar dressed in a suit and a tie and orders a Scotch and a toilet water.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 23rd, 2016, 6:43 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Mar 23 2016, 08:41:00 AM wrote:
joachimt on Mar 23 2016, 06:32:14 AM wrote:
treadwaynathan on Mar 22 2016, 05:19:32 PM wrote:Stranger walks into a bar and orders a beer. Bartender fills the order without asking the stranger to specify.
:huh:
I think it's pretty normal to just ask for a beer. If you go to a bar here and say "biertje" to the bartender, you just get the regular from the tap.
Here in the States, that may have been possible in the 50s and earlier, but today it's impossible to just ask for a beer at any bar, unless you want to leave things to the bartender's whim/intuition.
right - and they might give you something like a Bud when what you really want is beer! :lol: edit: or worse still - Coors Light
Last edited by xianjiro on March 23rd, 2016, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » March 23rd, 2016, 7:04 pm

'zackly, only a madman would let a barman choose their beer - unless it's someone you know & trust

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 24th, 2016, 8:02 am

Out of sync hardsubs. :(
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » March 24th, 2016, 1:48 pm

I think it's pretty normal to just ask for a beer. If you go to a bar here and say "biertje" to the bartender, you just get the regular from the tap.
Yeah, works the same way here. You usually define the kind of beer though (classically Helles, Pils or Weizen). So, I would say a Weizen, and I'd get the standard Weißbier they serve. Just ordering a beer will typically fetch you the main "Helles" (Lager) on tap.
Which kind of beer they serve as standard usually depends on the bars' ties to certain breweries. It is quite often the way that if you open a pub, and decide that you make Augustiner (just to name a bigger brewery here) your standard beer, they usually contact you and you might get parts of your stuff for free from them. Most often they gift you the beer taps, glasses, give you discounts on their beers or even gift you a whole set of tables and chairs, etc.
Most places serve of course different beers, but if you don't want their standard you have to specify.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » March 25th, 2016, 6:11 am

metaller on Mar 24 2016, 07:48:44 AM wrote:
Yeah, works the same way here. You usually define the kind of beer though (classically Helles, Pils or Weizen). So, I would say a Weizen, and I'd get the standard Weißbier they serve. Just ordering a beer will typically fetch you the main "Helles" (Lager) on tap.
Which kind of beer they serve as standard usually depends on the bars' ties to certain breweries. It is quite often the way that if you open a pub, and decide that you make Augustiner (just to name a bigger brewery here) your standard beer, they usually contact you and you might get parts of your stuff for free from them. Most often they gift you the beer taps, glasses, give you discounts on their beers or even gift you a whole set of tables and chairs, etc.
Most places serve of course different beers, but if you don't want their standard you have to specify.
Interesting.

Maybe I should try going into a bar and just ordering a beer, and see what I get. But then, I'm sort of afraid of what it'll be. (More than likely though, they will ask what kind, or offer one, and verify. That'll be my bet.) I'm quite particular of what kinds of beer I drink.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 21st, 2016, 3:27 pm

Committing suicide by jumping from a bridge just a few meters above a very quiet stream.
ICM-profile

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » June 21st, 2016, 5:44 pm

joachimt on Jun 21 2016, 09:27:56 AM wrote:Committing suicide by jumping from a bridge just a few meters above a very quiet stream.
I don't remember ever having seen that. Got some examples?
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 21st, 2016, 6:30 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on Jun 21 2016, 11:44:41 AM wrote:
joachimt on Jun 21 2016, 09:27:56 AM wrote:Committing suicide by jumping from a bridge just a few meters above a very quiet stream.
I don't remember ever having seen that. Got some examples?
Just saw it today in this:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/bidaya+wa+nihaya/
You don't get a really clear few of the bridge, but it's clear it's not a very big fall and looking down on the water, it clearly isn't a dangerous river.

I often wonder about suicide-scenes from bridges. Jumping into water doesn't kill you very easy. It has to be either very high or a very dangerous river (or you just can't swim).

That movie has another stupid scene, btw. The police enters a house to do a house-search. The policemen split up. One of them searches the room in which the viewer is. He basically looks left and right and turns around once and leaves the room. The officer in command returns and says they didn't find anything suspicious. Because there are no cuts in this shot, we see the house-search real time. And it took less than 10 seconds...
:facepalm:
ICM-profile

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » June 22nd, 2016, 4:30 am

Has there ever been an instance where the crime-doing lead goes for "a one last job before settling in life peacefully", has settled in life peacefully after that job?

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » June 23rd, 2016, 11:05 am

tommy_leazaq on Jun 21 2016, 10:30:04 PM wrote:Has there ever been an instance where the crime-doing lead goes for "a one last job before settling in life peacefully", has settled in life peacefully after that job?
No, because all his former associates or enemies want to either drag him back into crime or drag him through hell.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » June 23rd, 2016, 11:18 am

Thief (1981)? kind of.

kurisu1974

Post by kurisu1974 » June 29th, 2016, 1:27 pm

There's this effect that's sometimes used, mostly in 90s movies, where the scene slows down to a lower framerate, it looks like a video effect but it's not only used in TV, also in film, and it looks so cheap and lazy... no idea how to call it and I probably am horribly at describing it too... and of course I can't think of an actual example right now.

Well in short I hate it and I will subtract a point from my rating when I encounter this.
Last edited by kurisu1974 on June 29th, 2016, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 29th, 2016, 5:44 pm

tommy_leazaq on Jun 21 2016, 10:30:04 PM wrote:Has there ever been an instance where the crime-doing lead goes for "a one last job before settling in life peacefully", has settled in life peacefully after that job?
It certainly seems like De Niro
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
pulled it off in The Score
And
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
when I first saw it, I liked the chances of Russell Crowe and company in The Next Three Days. The tragic downfall of Venezuela over the past couple of years, though, raises doubts.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 12th, 2016, 9:38 pm

One that comes up frequently, it's practically a trope: people are saying goodbye and the bus pulls up and waits and waits and waits and waits for the couple to say all the things they feel but hadn't had time to tell each other (35 minutes worth) and so they go on and on and on and the bus waits and the passengers on the bus wait and the audience waits.

Like when does a bus wait for anyone? (If not the driver's break or a rest stop?!?)

Likewise we've got the common "all aboard" as people rush to board the train - but of course not our key characters. Same long chat sequence ... of course right before the over used window kiss and slow walk followed by a run as the parting people try to stay together until as long as possible.

:yucky:

I swear this is almost as overused as the slo-mo run through a field of flowers.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Rene Narciso

Post by Rene Narciso » December 15th, 2016, 4:29 am

This is somewhat cyclical for me.

By the mid-1990s I was pretty tired of lots of action movie cliches, after a decade of exposure to them. Cowboy cops, loose cannons, dorky partners, bad guys with European accents, long chase sequences, macho characters, etc.

The Last Action Hero was a favorite of mine just because it made fun of this whole stuff. I also think it was a case of myself feeling too "adult" to continue enjoying this stuff.

It took me a decade and a half for me to "detox" and be able to enjoy action movies again. There is also the nostalgia factor, I suppose, where I'm able to revisit those old Schwarzenegger/Stallone/Willis/Gibson vehicles with fondness.

And this time I also got to discover and watch for the first time the 1970s movies that started the whole modern action genre.

EDIT: Oh yeah, more recently I've found myself getting tired of a certain kind of character that first exploded in popularity in the 1990s. The suave and unstoppable serial killer that can't shut up about nihilistic philosophy while making a total fool of the heroes. It was kinda fresh when Silence of the Lambs and Se7en did it, now I only feel depressed when I see it. I still enjoyed Nolan's the Dark Knight, but that is the comic book fan in me,
Last edited by Rene Narciso on December 15th, 2016, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » December 15th, 2016, 4:36 am

Rene Narciso on Dec 14 2016, 09:29:56 PM wrote:The Last Action Hero was a favorite of mine just because it made fun of this whole stuff. I also think it was a case of myself feeling too "adult" to continue enjoying this stuff.
Last Action Hero is a seriously underrated movie, much better than its reputation.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Rene Narciso

Post by Rene Narciso » December 15th, 2016, 3:46 pm

Knaldskalle on Dec 14 2016, 09:36:56 PM wrote:Last Action Hero is a seriously underrated movie, much better than its reputation.
Definitely. It's a very underrated movie.

It's pretty risky when star actors at the height of their career appear in outright genre deconstruction. Most of the public will be caught by surprise and feel betrayed, most of the critics will accuse the star of being pretentious.

Another movie like this is Unbreakable.
Last edited by Rene Narciso on December 15th, 2016, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 7th, 2017, 7:30 am

Someone winning a lot of money at a lottery or the races or whatever and spending the money before he cashes the tickets.
You know immediately something is going wrong this way......
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 9th, 2017, 8:53 pm

calling for an ambulance and telling them to hurry up

sol can find me here

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » May 10th, 2017, 3:02 pm

** Door bells rings **

Person inside the house: "Oh, its Dad/Jim/Adam/Mike. Let me open the door"

** Person opens the door, and its not Dad/Jim/Adam/Mike
------

I mean is there any instance where the Person correctly guessed who is at the door?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 11th, 2017, 1:25 am

oh tommy_l, I'm sure I've seen "That's Jan now." and of course it is Jan since someone was waiting for Jan. Could this be genre related? I get what you're talking about though - the general idea of setting up expectation and delivering something else happens quite a bit.

sol can find me here

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » May 11th, 2017, 11:20 pm

Just brainstorming the first ones that come to mind….

It's an obvious one, but lately I've been especially annoyed at the convention (I see a lot of this in '40s films) of a man and woman meeting and, within maybe three days, they're not only "in love" but have matter-of-factly settled on sharing the rest of their lives together. I even see this in old Hitchcock films, for heaven's sake.

And, again it's obvious, but people outrunning a giant explosion blast that's "following" behind them.

I play piano pretty well, and bad piano-faking either annoys or amuses me, depending on how it's done.

Others mentioned the ease of computer hacking and women waking up with perfect hair and makeup.

As I've become used to routinely seeing foreign-language films, the Hollywood convention of depicting foreign-country dialogue with actors speaking in accented English becomes harder and harder to swallow. [Oh, now I see others mentioned this too.]

Macho men talking about "the lady" when she's right there. "The lady will have the steak and onions.” "Hey, the lady told you she's not interested." Oh, shut up.

Couples who first "connect" via the guy stopping to help the girl pick up something she's dropped. Boy, are women in romantic movies clumsy.

When being chased by a madman, the instinct to run upstairs and dead-end yourself in a bedroom/bathroom rather than running out the front door.

The band’s or singer’s big concert booking finally arrives, and they play just two songs and then rush off the stage in euphoric triumph.

How many people in real life have ever had to crawl through an air-conditioning duct? If you believe the movies, we all have to do it at some point or another.

Sometimes I marvel at how every movie’s cast of characters is lucky enough to have no two people with the same first name (unless this is a central plot point).

And this is purely a matter of personal taste, but nothing turns a film into a miserable, tedious experience for me more than excessive narration. Particularly when it aims to be "poetic" or doesn't directly connect with the visual imagery.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 12th, 2017, 4:43 am

over 90% of time, they kill off the cute guy first. (btw, my idea of cute isn't usually what most people think, so this is a xianjiro no ruuru, and as such, not applicable to the rest of humanity) but I really hate having to look at the blond surfer dude for the rest of the pic

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 12th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Making it a happy ending by letting the main character wake up and the whole movie has been a bad dream. *sigh*
My rating drops a whole point at least because of this.
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 13th, 2017, 12:51 am

joachimt on May 12 2017, 02:17:21 PM wrote:Making it a happy ending by letting the main character wake up and the whole movie has been a bad dream. *sigh*
yeah, this is a standing joke whenever the protagonist's fate seems hopeless - do you remember Dallas? It was all just a dream.

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 13th, 2017, 7:59 am

xianjiro on May 12 2017, 06:51:36 PM wrote:
joachimt on May 12 2017, 02:17:21 PM wrote:Making it a happy ending by letting the main character wake up and the whole movie has been a bad dream. *sigh*
yeah, this is a standing joke whenever the protagonist's fate seems hopeless
In some cases I even think the movie has a good ending before he wakes up. Without spoiling anything (I won't even mention the title) from one of my recent watches:
Everything seemed hopeless for the protagonist. He did some stupid things and now everything seems to be crashing down on him. But right before the end of the movie by some miracle he is cleared from his mistakes, although he doesn't really deserve it. He's feeling happy, but the audience feels the injustice. The next moment he's happily crossing the street to reunite with his girlfriend...... and he gets run over by a car.
That would be a nice cynical ending. Not perfect, but at least he still got the misery he deserves (although he doesn't live to tell).
Unfortunately, the next moment he wakes up. :down:
Terrible script-writing. This could have had a good closing of the plot.
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 13th, 2017, 8:03 am

idk, it's not a bad ending, especially if what proceeded it was the guy's unwillingness to commitment, always on the lookout for something better, etc - but it certainly wouldn't make the public at large happy since happily-ever-after is so important now and another of my pet peeves. :)

sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 13th, 2017, 8:08 am

Is this a noir? A ton of noirs have terrible messed up endings due to outside interference. Yeah, some of them are bad writing, but others are just the writer/director not having the power to fight back against censorship, and others are intentionally bad as an act of defiance, like Hitchcock's cheeky ending to Suspicion.

In your example it sounds like the writer wanted a happy ending, the studio/censorship board forced the bad ending, so the writer or director one upped them to make the whole thing meaningless. Or it could be bad writing, there are plenty terrible unforced errors in writing even in modern movies, but that example sounds like they went to great lengths to screw things up.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 13th, 2017, 8:18 am

40's noir indeed.
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 13th, 2017, 8:26 am

frickin' studios!

sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 13th, 2017, 8:40 am

Have I seen it? The ending sounds vaguely familiar but not enough that I can place it.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 13th, 2017, 8:42 am

PeacefulAnarchy on May 13 2017, 02:40:48 AM wrote:Have I seen it? The ending sounds vaguely familiar but not enough that I can place it.
I don't know if you've seen it. iCM is down.

EDIT: Oh, wait I'll check Criticker.
Last edited by joachimt on May 13th, 2017, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 13th, 2017, 8:46 am

joachimt on May 13 2017, 02:42:35 AM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on May 13 2017, 02:40:48 AM wrote:Have I seen it? The ending sounds vaguely familiar but not enough that I can place it.
I don't know if you've seen it. iCM is down.

EDIT: Oh, wait I'll check Criticker.
No rating on Criticker from you, so I guess you haven't.
ICM-profile

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 13th, 2017, 8:48 am

I'm sure I'll watch it someday and be annoyed then.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 13th, 2017, 9:59 am

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!
Just watched another 40's noir with exactly the same ending when everything seemed hopeless.
ICM-profile

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 13th, 2017, 10:06 am

time to unofficialize that noir list, for the sake of J's sanity
currently working thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 13th, 2017, 10:07 am

Armoreska on May 13 2017, 04:06:20 AM wrote:time to unofficialize that noir list, for the sake of J's sanity
Starting the next noir now...... wish me luck.
ICM-profile

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 13th, 2017, 10:13 am

joachimt on May 13 2017, 04:07:53 AM wrote:
Armoreska on May 13 2017, 04:06:20 AM wrote:time to unofficialize that noir list, for the sake of J's sanity
Starting the next noir now...... wish me luck.
suffer well! :P
currently working thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo