Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Midnight Saturday Mar 23rd)
Polls: Fantasy (Results), 1921 awards (Mar 21st), Academy Awards (Mar 22nd), Children (Apr 7th), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: French, War, Female Directors
World Cup: Semi finals schedule, SF-B (Mar 21st->Mar 24th)
Film of the Week: Le vieux fusil

Movie Pet Hates

mightysparks
Site Admin

Movie Pet Hates

Post by mightysparks » July 17th, 2015, 1:55 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on Jul 17 2015, 07:48:04 AM wrote:
mightysparks on Jul 17 2015, 06:51:08 AM wrote:
Perception de Ambiguity on Jul 17 2015, 06:41:57 AM wrote:Apparently cats are the loudest fucking animals in the world.
Have you never met a cat?
I met some cats in my life and they barely ever made any sound at all unless it was time for their Whiskas.
Our cats never shut the hell up. One of them meows every time I catch her eye. And every time I say her name. And sometimes just coz.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » July 17th, 2015, 2:19 pm

mightysparks on Jul 17 2015, 07:55:36 AM wrote:
Perception de Ambiguity on Jul 17 2015, 07:48:04 AM wrote:
mightysparks on Jul 17 2015, 06:51:08 AM wrote:Have you never met a cat?
I met some cats in my life and they barely ever made any sound at all unless it was time for their Whiskas.
Our cats never shut the hell up. One of them meows every time I catch her eye. And every time I say her name. And sometimes just coz.
I once heard somewhere that over time pets and owners can become more and more alike.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 17th, 2015, 3:04 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on Jul 17 2015, 08:19:06 AM wrote:
mightysparks on Jul 17 2015, 07:55:36 AM wrote:
Perception de Ambiguity on Jul 17 2015, 07:48:04 AM wrote:I met some cats in my life and they barely ever made any sound at all unless it was time for their Whiskas.
I once heard somewhere that over time pets and owners can become more and more alike.
They haven't met us then.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » July 17th, 2015, 3:24 pm

joachimt on Jul 17 2015, 04:35:01 AM wrote:Someone putting poison on some food with the purpose to poison someone and you immediately know the food will end up with the wrong person...... and of course it does. <_<
Have you been watching the same film I was watching recently? :lol:
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 17th, 2015, 5:15 pm

Gershwin on Jul 17 2015, 09:24:32 AM wrote:
joachimt on Jul 17 2015, 04:35:01 AM wrote:Someone putting poison on some food with the purpose to poison someone and you immediately know the food will end up with the wrong person...... and of course it does. <_<
It happens so often. This time it was in one of the episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » July 20th, 2015, 1:09 pm

joachimt on Jul 17 2015, 11:15:27 AM wrote:
Gershwin on Jul 17 2015, 09:24:32 AM wrote:
It happens so often. This time it was in one of the episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.
That's not the one I meant indeed. :)
RokP 250

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 24th, 2015, 1:14 pm

Two main characters and they casted two actors that look too much alike at first glance. Often takes me several scenes to see the difference. Until then I'm constantly thinking "huh, is he the same one that juts...etc...".

ICM-profile

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » July 24th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Sometimes it's intentional and relevant to the story (Leonardo DiCaprio/Matt Damon in The Departed).

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 24th, 2015, 1:17 pm

I remember seeing one of the Saw movies at the cinema and I didn't realise until the end there were two different guys..

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 24th, 2015, 1:21 pm

jvv on Jul 24 2015, 07:16:47 AM wrote:Sometimes it's intentional and relevant to the story (Leonardo DiCaprio/Matt Damon in The Departed).
If so, then it's fine and mostly I get that from the plot, but it's certainly not the case in the movie I posted pictures of above.
ICM-profile

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » July 24th, 2015, 1:36 pm

joachimt on Mar 14 2015, 08:43:18 AM wrote:Almost every classroom scene in a movie. Somehow it's hard to make a classroom scene realistic.
You ain't kidding. Students walk into classroom, class starts. Teacher talks for three minutes. The bell rings, class is over with no hint of anything more happening than what was on screen.

But I'm more "amused" by how all the students are packed and ready to immediately jump out of their seats when the bell rings, and they just walk or even run out of the classroom while the teacher often keeps talking very loudly trying to get them to listen to what's this week's homework assignment. Apparently in movies absolutely no teacher enjoys any respect from his students. Yet the kids usually have tons of homework to do even though half the class couldn't possibly have heard what the teacher said since they had already saddled their bikes before the teacher could finish, although the whole homework assignment usually is just something like: "...and until Monday you bring me a 400-word essay on why believing in Jesus Christ is necessary to be a good American!"
dream realityImage

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » September 4th, 2015, 2:07 pm

Another one I dislike: when two people are running away from something dangerous (the bad guys, an impending explosion, whatever), and they insist on holding hands. Now, I'm no expert on running, far from it, but I'm pretty sure that would slow both people down.
Last edited by jvv on September 4th, 2015, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 4th, 2015, 2:56 pm

Another running away pet hate: someone being chased by a car keeps running in the middle of the street. Makes it easier for the car to hit him. :wacko:
ICM-profile

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » September 11th, 2015, 11:09 am

Specially in film noirs, when someone is stabbed (or shot), but his jacket doesn't seem to notice. ^o)
This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter
ImageImage

CMT

Post by CMT » September 11th, 2015, 3:41 pm

I think I've posted before on here but white subtitles with no outline in a black and white film. Missed almost a scene of dialogue because of a breakfast table.

max-scl

Post by max-scl » September 11th, 2015, 11:10 pm

When a character leaves the door open (that normally he or she would close) just so the camera that is following him or her can come through.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » September 12th, 2015, 12:40 am

Good one, max. I like when the actor pretends he has something to do after walking through the door (while subtly stepping to the side), so the camera has enough time to go in and the actor can close the door. This isn't often done, though.

One thing I notice more and more often is brief backwards-running footage which apparently is most often used to have an actor look from one particular point to another (often to have the actor look from the floor up to another actor who is off-screen), presumingly because they don't have any footage of the actor doing that. It's very noticeable when the actor blinks and when the hair moves much you might be able to tell it from that too.

Sometimes it's even used to extend a scene, so a scene may run normally for a while until at one point its starts to run backwards to have the scene run for a few seconds longer. The last scene of "Requiem for a Heavyweight" is one concrete example I remember that did exactly that. Sometimes they even take one brief moment and have it run forwards and backwards in a loop several times...just like a seamless gif.

At least back in the days when movies were still shot on film (remember them days?) it seems that this trick was about as often used as freeze framing or slowing down the footage to achieve the same effect, because thanks to the film grain this trick also is immediately noticeable.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on September 12th, 2015, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » September 12th, 2015, 8:30 am

Hunziker on Sep 11 2015, 05:09:43 AM wrote:Specially in film noirs, when someone is stabbed (or shot), but his jacket doesn't seem to notice. ^o)
Good one! By the way, thanks to the emoticon in your post I only just found out now that you can click on a button under the box with emoticons to see more. How could I have missed this before? :$
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 12th, 2015, 9:11 am

Lammetje on Sep 12 2015, 02:30:44 AM wrote:
Hunziker on Sep 11 2015, 05:09:43 AM wrote:Specially in film noirs, when someone is stabbed (or shot), but his jacket doesn't seem to notice. ^o)
Good one! By the way, thanks to the emoticon in your post I only just found out now that you can click on a button under the box with emoticons to see more. How could I have missed this before? :$
Seriously? :blink:
I never clicked that button. :( I just thought it would make the field larger so you could see all emoticons at once.
:facepalm:
Never knew there were more. :$
But that way only seven more emoticons are shown. What's the point of hiding so few under a separate button? :shrug:

I don't even know what this one means: :X
Is his mouth stuffed with too much candy? :unsure:
ICM-profile

bobbybrown

Post by bobbybrown » September 12th, 2015, 9:44 am

joachimt on Sep 12 2015, 03:11:47 AM wrote:I don't even know what this one means: :X
Judging by green cheeks, it might as well be a gangrene caused by lip sewing. A form of protest, it says.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » September 12th, 2015, 10:08 am

joachimt on Sep 12 2015, 03:11:47 AM wrote:I don't even know what this one means: :X
It's an emoticon that feels nauseous and is on the verge of puking. You can use this emoticon when talking about a really bad movie, such as Epic Movie or Chelovek s kino-apparatom.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 12th, 2015, 10:54 am

Lammetje on Sep 12 2015, 04:08:54 AM wrote:
It's an emoticon that feels nauseous and is on the verge of puking. You can use this emoticon when talking about a really bad movie, such as Epic Movie or Chelovek s kino-apparatom.
For which movies would I use this then?

Last edited by joachimt on September 12th, 2015, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ICM-profile

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » September 12th, 2015, 11:44 am

joachimt on Sep 12 2015, 04:54:37 AM wrote:
Lammetje on Sep 12 2015, 04:08:54 AM wrote:
For which movies would I use this then?

The Holy Mountain.
This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter
ImageImage

A Fire Within

Post by A Fire Within » September 12th, 2015, 7:56 pm

"Nobody make a sound"
Someone starts screaming hysterically

Caracortada

Post by Caracortada » September 13th, 2015, 10:39 am

*The accidentily overheard conversation is often used as a plot device, but how big is the chance that you really pick up crucial information through the ventilation system? If you overhear a conversation it's usually about the weather or football or people you don't know.

*When someone turns on the radio or TV just when a news item about himself starts.

*When the main character has a friend whose only reason to live seems to be to give good advice to his friend. When the main character in a romantic film is hunting after a beautiful woman his friend keeps giving good advice without a trace of jealousy. :wub:

*At the end of a whodunit the murderer often confesses, even if the evidence probably wouldn't hold up in court.
Last edited by Caracortada on September 13th, 2015, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three ingredients of all good stories are humor, suspense and psychology.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » March 22nd, 2016, 10:26 am

Someone supposed to be Dutch who's called "Vanrider" (there is no such name in Dutch, nor did it ever exist), who when toasting says the Scandinavian "skål" instead of the Dutch "proost". :facepalm:
RokP 250

monty

Post by monty » March 22nd, 2016, 11:50 am

Gershwin on Mar 22 2016, 04:26:46 AM wrote:Someone supposed to be Dutch who's called "Vanrider" (there is no such name in Dutch, nor did it ever exist), who when toasting says the Scandinavian "skål" instead of the Dutch "proost". :facepalm:
What's the film?

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » March 22nd, 2016, 2:22 pm

monty on Mar 22 2016, 05:50:25 AM wrote:
Gershwin on Mar 22 2016, 04:26:46 AM wrote:Someone supposed to be Dutch who's called "Vanrider" (there is no such name in Dutch, nor did it ever exist), who when toasting says the Scandinavian "skål" instead of the Dutch "proost". :facepalm:
What's the film?
Only Angels Have Wings. Would have expected a bit better from Hawks, but then again, who in Hollywood has ever given a single shit about foreign languages? :shrug:
RokP 250

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » March 22nd, 2016, 11:19 pm

Stranger walks into a bar and orders a beer. Bartender fills the order without asking the stranger to specify.
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » March 22nd, 2016, 11:47 pm

treadwaynathan on Mar 22 2016, 05:19:32 PM wrote:Stranger walks into a bar and orders a beer. Bartender fills the order without asking the stranger to specify.
Good one. Although in westerns I always suppose there aren't many varities of beer.. Also possibly saying a beer's name means paying for using a brand name? Possibly, I'm not sure about how that works.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 22nd, 2016, 11:50 pm

Gershwin on Mar 22 2016, 08:22:23 AM wrote:
What's the film?
Only Angels Have Wings. Would have expected a bit better from Hawks, but then again, who in Hollywood has ever given a single shit about foreign languages? :shrug:
they pronounce it rider, because, well, americans, but it's supposed to be Van Ruyter, like de Ruyter. credits may have also typo'd, credits people don't give a fuck, if that's what you're basing the error on.

the skal thing, who knows. multiculturalism in a late 30s hollwood film tho right?

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » March 23rd, 2016, 12:11 am

SkilledLunatic on Mar 22 2016, 05:47:31 PM wrote:Also possibly saying a beer's name means paying for using a brand name? Possibly, I'm not sure about how that works.
I think it's the other way around.

But it's still annoying as hell. They could also go the Simpsons route and just make up a name for a beer.
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

HVM

Post by HVM » March 23rd, 2016, 12:18 am

What's the film?
Almost everyone in The Shop Around the Corner has a Czech/Slavic surname. It's set in Budapest. It's like a film based in Barcelona have the characters have German/Swedish surnames. Possible? Yes? Plausible? No. Skål.
1918 - 100 - 2018

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 23rd, 2016, 12:31 am

when I saw 'pet' in the topic, I thought meow or woof woof, but it also brings up a personal peeve - the use of animals as foul play objects. Like the 'red shirts' in Star Trek: The Original Series, I hate it when they have an animal in the film simply as something that can be killed, because somehow it's less painful for the audience to see a dog gutted than to see a child gutted, but we know that's clearly the intent. Granted, in horror especially, there are lots of cases where bad things are done to human characters so I'm talking fairly specifically about movies were the animals are there, not to interact with the characters, but only as a plot device or prop for the 'bad guys' anti-social behavior.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 23rd, 2016, 1:31 am

That annoys me too. Every time there's an animal in a horror film you know it's going to die. Sometimes though it works, especially if that animal is important in some way to the character rather than just being the token red shirt pet. I think most people are more offended at animals dying than children/humans dying in films - I know I feel that way and I see a lot of comments that feel the same way. Maybe only in horror films but lately I've seen a lot of people saying they refuse to watch films where animals die and it's like um ok.

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » March 23rd, 2016, 2:21 am

First example that comes to my mind is "I am Legend". That dog scene was emotional. It's the only thing I remember about that film really.
But cats and dogs are so cheap in horror movies :rolleyes:
Last edited by SkilledLunatic on March 23rd, 2016, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 23rd, 2016, 12:32 pm

treadwaynathan on Mar 22 2016, 05:19:32 PM wrote:Stranger walks into a bar and orders a beer. Bartender fills the order without asking the stranger to specify.
:huh:
I think it's pretty normal to just ask for a beer. If you go to a bar here and say "biertje" to the bartender, you just get the regular from the tap.
ICM-profile

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » March 23rd, 2016, 1:32 pm

funkybusiness on Mar 22 2016, 05:50:52 PM wrote:
monty on Mar 22 2016, 05:50:25 AM wrote:What's the film?
they pronounce it rider, because, well, americans, but it's supposed to be Van Ruyter, like de Ruyter. credits may have also typo'd, credits people don't give a fuck, if that's what you're basing the error on.

the skal thing, who knows. multiculturalism in a late 30s hollwood film tho right?
Ah, Van Ruyter. Well, that makes a little difference indeed, but still it wouldn't make sense to have that name. "Van" is a preposition, basically meaning "of" or "from", "ruyter" is an older spelling of "ruiter", which means "someone riding a horse".

Anyhow.
RokP 250

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » March 23rd, 2016, 1:39 pm

HVM on Mar 22 2016, 06:18:34 PM wrote:
monty on Mar 22 2016, 05:50:25 AM wrote:What's the film?
Almost everyone in The Shop Around the Corner has a Czech/Slavic surname. It's set in Budapest. It's like a film based in Barcelona have the characters have German/Swedish surnames. Possible? Yes? Plausible? No. Skål.
Salud! Or wasn't that what you Slovakians say? :teehee:

:cheers:
RokP 250

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » March 23rd, 2016, 2:41 pm

joachimt on Mar 23 2016, 06:32:14 AM wrote:
:huh:
I think it's pretty normal to just ask for a beer. If you go to a bar here and say "biertje" to the bartender, you just get the regular from the tap.
Here in the States, that may have been possible in the 50s and earlier, but today it's impossible to just ask for a beer at any bar, unless you want to leave things to the bartender's whim/intuition.