Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 18th), 1954 awards (Jun 22nd), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: Scandal Sheet, July nominations (Jun 28th)

Movie Pet Hates

Lammetje
Donator

Movie Pet Hates

Post by Lammetje » October 13th, 2014, 10:32 pm

People with an exotic native language who speak a little English, but often refer to themselves in the third person. I even heard someone do this who was supposed to have Urdu, an Indo-European language, as his mother tongue. And he was not even consistent.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » October 22nd, 2014, 8:29 pm

Lammetje on Sep 18 2014, 09:57:37 AM wrote:People not rinsing off their toothbrush after brushing their teeth! :yucky: Or is that actually a common thing IRL?
This irritated me for over a decade - until I switched sides. It feels strange in the beginning but after a few times you won't go back. Try it!

my movie pet hates:

woman pointing the gun at villain at the end of the movie but has scruple pulling the trigger just to fake tension.

guy leaving random amount of money in the diner while waitress is away.

attractive woman keeps talking to obviously uninterested, tight-lipped stranger in a public place. should happen to me.
Last edited by mathiasa on October 22nd, 2014, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » October 22nd, 2014, 8:54 pm

SkilledLunatic on Sep 18 2014, 02:36:03 PM wrote:
Jay Mars on Sep 18 2014, 02:29:55 PM wrote:
cinephage on Sep 18 2014, 01:13:01 PM wrote:I'm frequently jealous of all these movie characters who always find a parking spot at the right place...
Especially when all the extras are trudging along from their parking spots five miles away. But our heroes pull up right in front.
Yes, I would much prefer a scene where the characters look for parking for about 10 to 15 min. Also, we need more scenes of people peeling potatoes in cinema.
Watch Vendredi soir, great scene where the lead is stuck in traffic for 20 minutes.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 7th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Can't remember if this was already mentioned:
Techie person: *says long complicated words*
Non-techie person: In ENGLISH please

Also I've noticed an odd thing with people who are hackers (or similar) talking about how Wargames is like, their favourite movie EVER.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » January 7th, 2015, 3:33 pm

People getting out of bed after a night's sleep and they have perfect hair. :shrug:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 7th, 2015, 3:46 pm

jvv on Jan 7 2015, 08:33:33 AM wrote:People getting out of bed after a night's sleep and they have perfect hair. :shrug:
And they look fresh faced and wide awake after 2 seconds. I look like that grumpy cat for about 3 hours after I wake up.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Harco
Donator

Post by Harco » January 7th, 2015, 4:45 pm

mightysparks on Jun 25 2013, 02:57:05 PM wrote:When someone mentions a very simple scientific principle and someone has to explain it in layman's terms. Even worse when the noob who is all 'what is that' is another professional in the field.
This is the worst, yeah. Doesn't have to be a scientific principle per se, but also when - and I'm making this up right now because I can't think of a real example - two characters in a movie refer to events that happened prior to the movie. One will go like "Remember that case in 1996?" or "It's just like that case from 1996," and then the other guy will give a brief summary of what happened in 1996. It's not like the other guy needed the explanation.

Of course the viewer needs to know what happened but it's always so artificial.
Kowry on Jun 3 2014, 11:57:01 AM wrote:A painful example of this was in Skyfall:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
"It's like solving a Rubik's Cube that's fighting back." Analogies like this one pronounced with such determination make me cringe. Who talks like that?

Also, Russian characters using an extensive English vocabulary but still not possessing the ability to use any articles whatsoever.
Last edited by Harco on January 7th, 2015, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 7th, 2015, 4:54 pm

So apparently I did already complain about that 'tech speak' thing :P

And yea I agree with all the others too. That 'remember that thing in 1996' thing really annoys me.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 7th, 2015, 4:54 pm

Harco on Jan 7 2015, 09:45:01 AM wrote:Also, Russian characters using an extensive English vocabulary but still not possessing the ability to use any articles whatsoever.
Given the absence of articles in Russian, it's a forgivable, at least to me.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Wonderful Rainbow

Post by Wonderful Rainbow » January 7th, 2015, 5:18 pm

Knaldskalle on Jan 7 2015, 09:54:07 AM wrote:
Harco on Jan 7 2015, 09:45:01 AM wrote:Also, Russian characters using an extensive English vocabulary but still not possessing the ability to use any articles whatsoever.
Given the absence of articles in Russian, it's a forgivable, at least to me.
It's the extensive vocabulary not the articles that pisses me off. And not only with Russian characters. They should use real people that can't speak English and explain them the scenes wihout scripts, so they would find the words themselves. I'd love that.

drbop

Post by drbop » January 7th, 2015, 9:47 pm

One romantic plot pet peeve I have is where the guy falls for a girl but then finds out she already has a boyfriend who is a complete jerk. Inevitably by the end she'll break up with her boyfriend and immediately run into the arms of the hero.

Caracortada

Post by Caracortada » January 8th, 2015, 8:21 pm

*In a highschool film there's often a stereotypical nerd with big glasses and dental braces, who's unaware of his reputation problem.

*When a man visits a prostitute he gives her money, but doesn't go to bed with her.
Three ingredients of all good stories are humor, suspense and psychology.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 17th, 2015, 7:50 am

People saying 'hey bro', 'hey sis', 'hey son' to make sure we're fully aware of their relationship. Who the feck says stuff like that?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 14th, 2015, 12:28 pm

How bout when some people are hiding in a room/apartment they start speaking loudly when the ones they're hiding from are just outside a closed door as if it's some kind of impenetrable sound barrier, esp this happens when the door's just been closed, in old movies!
Last edited by Armoreska on March 14th, 2015, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 14th, 2015, 2:23 pm

mightysparks on Jan 17 2015, 12:50:25 AM wrote:People saying 'hey bro', 'hey sis', 'hey son' to make sure we're fully aware of their relationship. Who the feck says stuff like that?
My kids call me dad all the time. :D :whistling:
ImageImageImageImage

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 14th, 2015, 2:31 pm

When one person says something like, "it's just that..." and the other goes like, "it's just what?", only too quickly. Just give the (wo)man some time to hesitate before you say your line ffs.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 14th, 2015, 2:43 pm

Almost every classroom scene in a movie. Somehow it's hard to make a classroom scene realistic.

...and teachers in movies who give extra lessons to a single student at the end of the day, every day, day after day after day...... Sure I give an extra lesson now and then, but not like that. Do script-writers really think teachers got time for that? What about the rest of my 150 students?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » March 14th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Amish woman with trendy contemporary makeup. Baby Moses's mother ditto. Heroine hiding from the Indians under a waterfall and emerging with makeup and hairdo undisturbed.
Last edited by 3eyes on March 14th, 2015, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » March 14th, 2015, 3:34 pm

When a group of people is attacked and all the guys fight back, but all the women just stand there screaming/crying.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 14th, 2015, 7:39 pm

old gong telephones ringing. over and over. and over. pick up the goddamn phone! anybody! you! the newspaper boy! you go get it! buzz/chirp phones are fine. touchtone-era rings are fine. but those rotary gong/bell rings drive me crazy.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 15th, 2015, 3:25 am

A "crazy, fun-loving" person ends up with a "stuffy old bore" who turns their life upside down and makes them realise that the only way to be happy is to be an annoying loudmouth. Often, the former is an American and the latter is a Brit.

GremVendetta

Post by GremVendetta » March 15th, 2015, 4:01 am

I absolutely HATE it when a film has one singular excellent element while everything else about it blows chunks.

I've seen too many movies with amazing music scores, but everything else about the film sucks. Or in animated films where the animation is absolutely beautiful to look at but nothing else holds up. Or the story and the characters in a film are interesting and enchanting, whilst the animation is bloody horrible to look at.

Consistency is really nice!

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 15th, 2015, 3:40 pm

RollingWonder on Mar 14 2015, 10:01:16 PM wrote:I absolutely HATE it when a film has one singular excellent element while everything else about it blows chunks.

I've seen too many movies with amazing music scores, but everything else about the film sucks. Or in animated films where the animation is absolutely beautiful to look at but nothing else holds up. Or the story and the characters in a film are interesting and enchanting, whilst the animation is bloody horrible to look at.

Huh. I really hate it when everything about a movie blows chunks. At least I can get some sort of solace from good animation or a good score while suffering through the rest of it. Without any redeeming qualities it's just suffering with no respite.

YMMV.
ImageImageImageImage

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 15th, 2015, 3:56 pm

Parents who don't know how to hold a baby.

ICM-profile

GremVendetta

Post by GremVendetta » March 15th, 2015, 4:08 pm

Knaldskalle on Mar 15 2015, 09:40:48 AM wrote:
RollingWonder on Mar 14 2015, 10:01:16 PM wrote:I absolutely HATE it when a film has one singular excellent element while everything else about it blows chunks.

Huh. I really hate it when everything about a movie blows chunks. At least I can get some sort of solace from good animation or a good score while suffering through the rest of it. Without any redeeming qualities it's just suffering with no respite.

YMMV.
That's exactly what I hate about it. The fact that I'll like one thing about a film and have to suffer through the rest. If everything about the film sucks, at least I can just say it does. But when there's one thing I like about the film, it's like I'm rooting for the film to do better. If it's got at least one thing right, why can't the rest be just as good? It's always a bit of a let down.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » March 15th, 2015, 7:58 pm

joachimt on Mar 15 2015, 09:56:00 AM wrote:Parents who don't know how to hold a baby.

Yeah, I'm not a parent yet, but that was absolutely ridiculous. Doesn't just everybody notice that this isn't a way to hold a baby? :unsure:
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 15th, 2015, 8:40 pm

Gershwin on Mar 15 2015, 01:58:23 PM wrote:
joachimt on Mar 15 2015, 09:56:00 AM wrote:Parents who don't know how to hold a baby.

Yeah, I'm not a parent yet, but that was absolutely ridiculous. Doesn't just everybody notice that this isn't a way to hold a baby? :unsure:
And it wasn't just this shot, it was during the whole scene. That scene was quite ridiculous already, but this added some extra stupidity to it. Even the mother held the baby in a similar way.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 10th, 2015, 12:35 pm

When a policeman spots someone he needs to catch, the first thing he does is shout: "Hey, you, STOP!" Instead of just starting to run he let's the criminal know he's chasing him and gives him a head start. :facepalm:
ICM-profile

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » April 10th, 2015, 6:12 pm

joachimt on Apr 10 2015, 06:35:02 AM wrote:When a policeman spots someone he needs to catch, the first thing he does is shout: "Hey, you, STOP!" Instead of just starting to run he let's the criminal know he's chasing him and gives him a head start. :facepalm:
In a similar vein, when someone is running in an urgent, if not life-and-death situation, and suddenly there's a choice as to which direction to go next (like an alley that splits in two directions or a fork in the road or even just a spot in the woods where the runner could head in different directions), the runner comes to a complete halt and wastes several precious seconds standing there, looking both ways before eventually choosing one direction. I guess this is a directorial trope to show us the hero's thinking process and maybe even to ratchet up the tension slightly, but it always strikes me as such a clumsy violation of realism.
Last edited by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on April 10th, 2015, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CMT

Post by CMT » April 17th, 2015, 3:12 am

One thing that annoys me are TV shows and movies set in high school focusing on 'losers' like The Inbetweeners, American Pie etc that have the characters going through a number of romantic plots or like Archie having a character who is so obsessed with one love interest ignores another who actually shows attraction to him. Why can't there be high school media about unrequited love and being ignored by everyone sexually and emotionally? Where they get to the end of school without ever being kissed.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 17th, 2015, 3:16 am

CMT on Apr 16 2015, 09:12:27 PM wrote:One thing that annoys me are TV shows and movies set in high school focusing on 'losers' like The Inbetweeners, American Pie etc that have the characters going through a number of romantic plots or like Archie having a character who is so obsessed with one love interest ignores another who actually shows attraction to him. Why can't there be high school media about unrequited love and being ignored by everyone sexually and emotionally? Where they get to the end of school without ever being kissed.
Yeah that's something that annoys me as well. It makes all those things end up feeling like wish fulfillment fantasies for the 'losers', rather than being realistic or interesting. Even in Welcome to the Dollhouse, that dude is into her.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » July 12th, 2015, 9:22 pm

I think we had this sometime in this thread, but as I just watched a silent I came across one of my pet hates: Someone opens a letter, it is in handwriting and you are supposed to decipher that stuff. Obviosuly, because of either bad print / different style of handwriting back in those days you can't read shit though... :down:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » July 13th, 2015, 4:03 am

I hate decapitations and false foreshadowing.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 13th, 2015, 7:21 am

allisoncm on Jul 12 2015, 10:03:07 PM wrote:I hate decapitations and false foreshadowing.
but what about when the two are coupled.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » July 13th, 2015, 7:27 am

funkybusiness on Jul 13 2015, 01:21:56 AM wrote:
allisoncm on Jul 12 2015, 10:03:07 PM wrote:I hate decapitations and false foreshadowing.
but what about when the two are coupled.
obviously it would be way worse.

just saw Cartel Land, an otherwise decent documentary, except for the lots of decapitated heads.

Apollo 13, a film that really got to me when I was a child and saw it opening weekend. I didn't care for the false foreshadowing and didn't care for filmmaker Ron Howard ever since.

Well, tell me a movie where both thing happened and I'll probably not enjoy it.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » July 17th, 2015, 9:09 am

metaller on Jul 12 2015, 03:22:00 PM wrote:I think we had this sometime in this thread, but as I just watched a silent I came across one of my pet hates: Someone opens a letter, it is in handwriting and you are supposed to decipher that stuff. Obviosuly, because of either bad print / different style of handwriting back in those days you can't read shit though... :down:
I'm subbing the Italian short Cenere, and it's stuffed with those stupid letters. Very off-putting indeed. :angry: <_<
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 17th, 2015, 10:35 am

Someone putting poison on some food with the purpose to poison someone and you immediately know the food will end up with the wrong person...... and of course it does. <_<
ICM-profile

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » July 17th, 2015, 12:41 pm

Day for night shooting. - This is when a supposed night scene was clearly shot with daylight, usually using camera filters. I suppose I used to buy this technique just fine when I was younger but now it has become very noticeable to me. Being unconvincing is one thing but most of the time it simply makes for dull and ugly visuals.

Lightning and thunder being in perfect sync. - Every child learns at school that light travels faster than sound and even if you skipped grade school it would only require one to go out every once in a while to witness the "mysterious" phenomenon of the delay of thunder. Yet in a vast majority of movies lightning and thunder is in sync every single time as if every lightning struck a couple of meters away from the characters. This is an error that is obviously more annoying in a more earthbound, naturalistic film than if it's used in the popular tongue-in-cheek way in which thunder is added for dramatic effect right after a character says something sinister.

The breathing dead. - When I see a "dead" body in a film my eyes are immediately drawn to the actor's chest because that's where I usually see the first signs of life if the character isn't really dead. That's a problem because sometimes it's the case that the viewer is supposed to wonder if the character is dead or not as the camera lingers on the body and if he's still alive it makes sense that he breathes, while at other times it's meant to be proof for the character being dead because the body doesn't move...except it often does move but the filmmakers didn't care to tell the actor to hold his breath while the camera is on him, probably assuming that it won't be visible or that nobody will notice.

A character can never find anything without dropping it first. - When a character is searching a place for something of any importance to the plot they definitely won't find it like any normal human being. It is just a matter of time until he drops some object or knocks something over by accident and that will definitely be the object they were looking for and this will definitely the point were the music starts playing. It doesn't matter if they were looking for it for a minute, an hour or five years, if it hits the floor you know they found it. Probably even worse than that is when it's just some random object but while leaning down to pick it up they see what they were looking for in some other part of the room. In a horror film some shadowy figure would run through the screen in the background while the person picks up the object, but that's a different story.

Loud animals. - This goes for all animals that make sounds but more often than not it's a cat. If there is a cat on screen, even if just for a second, you can be almost sure that it will meow because if it didn't meow nobody would know it was a cat. You would think that after the first time we understood the situation ("I see, the cat-like animal meowed, so it's not an iguana."), but no, the cat will meow every time it is on screen. And if it doesn't meow it purrs. Apparently cats are the loudest fucking animals in the world.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on July 17th, 2015, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 17th, 2015, 12:51 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on Jul 17 2015, 06:41:57 AM wrote:Apparently cats are the loudest fucking animals in the world.
Have you never met a cat?

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » July 17th, 2015, 1:48 pm

mightysparks on Jul 17 2015, 06:51:08 AM wrote:
Perception de Ambiguity on Jul 17 2015, 06:41:57 AM wrote:Apparently cats are the loudest fucking animals in the world.
Have you never met a cat?
I met some cats in my life and they barely ever made any sound at all unless it was time for their Whiskas.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.