Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 21st), 1954 awards (Jun 22nd), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: Scandal Sheet, July nominations (Jun 28th)

Movie Pet Hates

brokenface
Donator

Movie Pet Hates

Post by brokenface » June 25th, 2013, 8:53 pm

a post in the Film Lounge inspired me to start this thread. A thread to note random things that recur in movies (perhaps old movies in particular) which annoy you.

The one mentioned there:
joachimt on wrote:I really can't stand it, when a girl in a movie dresses up as a boy and all characters think she's a boy, while in fact it's completely clear it's still a girl. Very annoying. :down:

Currently watching Sylvia Scarlett. Hepburn and Grant are great off course, but who could ever think Katherine Hepburn is a boy? <_<
I'd add one of mine:

- when someone has written a letter in a film & it appears on screen but the text is in really ornate slanty handwriting that is impossible to read unless you pause it and study it (and if you're at cinema you have no chance) :angry:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 25th, 2013, 8:57 pm

When someone mentions a very simple scientific principle and someone has to explain it in layman's terms. Even worse when the noob who is all 'what is that' is another professional in the field.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » June 25th, 2013, 9:32 pm

mightysparks on Jun 25 2013, 02:57:05 PM wrote:When someone mentions a very simple scientific principle and someone has to explain it in layman's terms. Even worse when the noob who is all 'what is that' is another professional in the field.
heh, good one. I remember Contagion being particularly bad for that

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » June 25th, 2013, 9:43 pm

The Bleak House (2005) miniseries have so many of them for me

in this scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... V4#t=1188s
- "French person speaking English" accent
- camera behind stuff that is out of focus covering up most of the frame, looking at people
- small rapid shaking of the camera when everything is sitting still

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... V4#t=1305s
quickzooms + zooming noise

Horses neighing in thunderstorms despite not being in the picture is another. Bleach House has got that too.
Last edited by Lilarcor on June 25th, 2013, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 25th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Another thing that annoys me is in horror films; there will be a noise, then the girl will get up to look and be all "BILLY? IS THAT YOU?" and then she'll open a door and the cat will be like "MOAW" and then she'll turn another way and be scared by the housekeeper and then she'll turn the next corner and get stabbed in the face.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » June 26th, 2013, 1:31 am

brokenface on Jun 25 2013, 03:32:24 PM wrote:
mightysparks on Jun 25 2013, 02:57:05 PM wrote:When someone mentions a very simple scientific principle and someone has to explain it in layman's terms. Even worse when the noob who is all 'what is that' is another professional in the field.
heh, good one. I remember Contagion being particularly bad for that
I especially hate it when there's a freaking complicated, made-up 'scientific principle' that needs five minutes of explanation (or more), but in the end just is very in-consequent and illogical. Kind of the same problem, I think. And I'm not talking about 'suspension of disbelief', because I'm fine with that.

Just thinking of Inception, actually. -_-
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » June 26th, 2013, 3:11 am

Lazy scriptwriting where the odds are artificially stacked against the protagonists, which manifests as ridiculously bad luck, weird passivity on their part, random obstacles to their success appearing for no reason, and antagonists who seem to have a supernatural awareness of the situation.

Spoilers for Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Eden Lake and Funny Games.

Exemplified by that scene in many horror movies where the character escapes the villains and runs away and they run to another house or get picked up by a car on the highway, but it turns out that the house is owned by, or the car is driven by, an associate of the villains, or even the villains themselves. This isn't to say that this trope can't be done well - the bit in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre when the girl escapes to the gas station feels fresh and is logical, but since then it's been repeatedly done in a really lazy way where the inevitability and predictability of it all just becomes frustrating - witness the end of Eden Lake when the woman drives away to the town but just happens to crash her car into the house owned by the parents of the main villain, and since there were multiple villains, the main villain's parents just happen to be holding a BBQ party at the time to which they've invited all the parents of the other villains; or the bit in Funny Games where the woman escapes and goes to a road and when she flags down a car it just happens to be the villains who have decided to drive away and drive back for no reason. In fact, I hate Funny Games because the whole point of that movie is to demonstrate all the lazy ways the script can stack the odds against the protagonists by doing them as blatantly as possible and then drawing attention to it.

There was a recently released movie I saw that actually used this trope twice in the last half hour. The girl escapes to a house, uh-oh, it's the house of one of the villains, she escapes, defeats the main villain, escapes to another house, which also turns out to be owned by a different villain. Talk about unlucky and not learning from mistakes.

sheikofhyrule

Post by sheikofhyrule » June 26th, 2013, 3:33 am

I am getting sick of bookended movies.

I just watched Night of the Creeps that had the jumping cat to scare the girl, but at least it comes back later on in the movie.

Antagonists who seemingly know what the rest of the characters' actions are going to be throughout the entire movie until the very end, i.e. Law Abiding Citizen.

Kowry

Post by Kowry » June 26th, 2013, 4:43 am

When a character gets fatally wounded, someone sprints to his/her side and the dying character continues to give a weepy monologue that's pretty damn coherent for someone just seconds away from passing away. It doesn't matter if there's a battle raging on, the other character always has the time to listen for the whole five minutes. And of course there's a string orchestra.

The monologue in Blade Runner doesn't count because it's awesome.

agrimorfee

Post by agrimorfee » June 26th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Please, no more Sigur Ros music during an epiphany. It was nice at first, but now...

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » June 26th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Yes when they don't subtitle letters, notes, and similar content from old movies it can be quite frustrating indeed.
Top 200

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 27th, 2013, 2:29 pm

generic "foreign English", usually consisting of avoidance of contractions "do not" for "don't", etc. - common in the pulp adventure movies I loved as a child.

Characters in Westerns, movies with foreign settings, etc., who speak with Brooklyn accents. (This goes way beyond "Yonda is da castle of my faddah.")
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

frbrown

Post by frbrown » June 27th, 2013, 6:07 pm

That reminds me of a pet hate of mine: when a foreign character speaks excellent English (they may or may not have an accent) - except for the very simplest words, like yes, thanks, hello, goodbye, Mr., Miss, and Mrs. Instead we get the few foreign words that an English speaker knows, such as si, merci, ciao, sayonara, Herr, senorita, and madame.

A question for our international members - does this happen in movies in other languages as well?

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » June 27th, 2013, 6:20 pm

frbrown on Jun 27 2013, 12:07:12 PM wrote:That reminds me of a pet hate of mine: when a foreign character speaks excellent English (they may or may not have an accent) - except for the very simplest words, like yes, thanks, hello, goodbye, Mr., Miss, and Mrs. Instead we get the few foreign words that an English speaker knows, such as si, merci, ciao, sayonara, Herr, senorita, and madame.

A question for our international members - does this happen in movies in other languages as well?
I think it happens with German dubbing.

We used to make fun of German dubbed westerns : Hände hoch, Mister!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 27th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Not really a hate, but it can be very annoying: transition movies at the end of the silent cinema, where sound was added in the postproduction, like voice-over, dubbing or reshooting a few scenes. Although these movies are historically interesting, I find it annoying the actors are speaking in one scene and the next you can see there mouth moving and you get an intertitle.

Off course, I understand why they did it at that moment and it's interesting to watch, but as a movie it isn't working. When it's clearly shot as a silent, I'd like it to be silent.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

rokp

Post by rokp » June 27th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Language in Slovenian films. So theatrical and unrealistic with ridiculously forced cursing and sleng phrases. And actors who play their typical role even when character should be totally different.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » June 30th, 2013, 7:40 pm

rokp on Jun 27 2013, 03:46:10 PM wrote:Language in Slovenian films. So theatrical and unrealistic with ridiculously forced cursing and sleng phrases. And actors who play their typical role even when character should be totally different.
The same things often happen in Dutch films. I guess that's what happens when you got a way too small national cinema.
RokP 250

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » July 1st, 2013, 12:38 am

It is annoying when the physical film has a tendency to burn up during projection. It is also quite funny in retrospect.
Top 200

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 1st, 2013, 12:41 am

Does 'people trying to do an Australian accent' count? I've heard about 2-3 convincing accents in my life, but they still slipped enough times to know it wasn't real.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » July 1st, 2013, 9:19 am

Yes it does! Like all bad imitations.
RokP 250

SanderO

Post by SanderO » July 1st, 2013, 1:24 pm

Actors/actresses pretending to drive in films but it seems more like they are giving their impression of a Formula One driver warming his/her tires behind the safety car.
Last edited by SanderO on July 1st, 2013, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 1st, 2013, 1:29 pm

Reminds me of drivers in movies, who are looking at the person sitting beside him. The driver keeps looking without taking a glimpse at the road, but hasn't got any problem to stay on the road.
ICM-profile

agrimorfee

Post by agrimorfee » July 2nd, 2013, 2:48 pm

Alongside of that, the scene of a driver talking to his passenger always looks cheesy when the background movement is OBVIOUSLY a screen/matte of footage and the actors are sitting in a car chassis being bumped and manipulated by off-camera stagehands. It looks particularly bad in the driving scene from A Clockwork Orange.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 28th, 2013, 4:00 pm

When the doorbell rings, the people in the house ask each other: "Who can that be?"

Does anyone say that in real life? I mean in a normal house at a normal time for the doorbell to ring.
ICM-profile

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » July 28th, 2013, 4:08 pm

mightysparks on Jun 30 2013, 06:41:31 PM wrote:Does 'people trying to do an Australian accent' count? I've heard about 2-3 convincing accents in my life, but they still slipped enough times to know it wasn't real.
By contrast, foreigners doing convincing North American accents used to be a rarity, but now it's a commonplace ($) -- including, of course, many Aussies.

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » July 28th, 2013, 4:09 pm

joachimt on Jul 28 2013, 10:00:48 AM wrote:When the doorbell rings, the people in the house ask each other: "Who can that be?"

Does anyone say that in real life? I mean in a normal house at a normal time for the doorbell to ring.
Just before I read your post I said aloud, "I wonder whose new post this is and what he or she has to say."

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » July 28th, 2013, 4:20 pm

joachimt on Jul 28 2013, 10:00:48 AM wrote:When the doorbell rings, the people in the house ask each other: "Who can that be?"

Actually, yes. Quite frequently. Unless you are expecting company.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 28th, 2013, 4:32 pm

St. Gloede on Jul 28 2013, 10:20:49 AM wrote:

Serious? :o
At my house the doorbell rings almost everyday without expecting someone. I don't start wondering "who can that be?" every time.
ICM-profile

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » July 28th, 2013, 4:55 pm

joachimt on Jul 28 2013, 10:32:37 AM wrote:
St. Gloede on Jul 28 2013, 10:20:49 AM wrote:

At my house the doorbell rings almost everyday without expecting someone. I don't start wondering "who can that be?" every time.
Why not? It could be anyone from your grandma bringing cookies, to that annoying aunt who will terrorize you with negativity and gossip for 2 hours, to a good friend to jehova's witness. Do you lack basic curiosity?

Ralf

Post by Ralf » July 28th, 2013, 5:10 pm

As far as fake movie accents go, Kevin Bacon's British accent in Elephant White is the worst ever!! Makes you crack up big time.
<--- Me when I watched it and he started talking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qy97QN8 ... page&t=510
Last edited by Ralf on July 28th, 2013, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » July 28th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Strange (unrealistic?) houshold customs. What I mean: People not turning the lights off in situations where people usually turn the lights off, the same with leaving water running. Or walking around in high heels as regular house shoes on a really expensive floor. I have never heard of nor seen a woman wearing heels when she is home alone...

And of course people not saying hello or goodbye or who they are on the phone.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 28th, 2013, 6:08 pm

St. Gloede on Jul 28 2013, 10:55:51 AM wrote:
joachimt on Jul 28 2013, 10:32:37 AM wrote:
St. Gloede on Jul 28 2013, 10:20:49 AM wrote:Actually, yes. Quite frequently. Unless you are expecting company.
Why not? It could be anyone from your grandma bringing cookies, to that annoying aunt who will terrorize you with negativity and gossip for 2 hours, to a good friend to jehova's witness. Do you lack basic curiosity?
No I don't lack curiosity about who's at the door, but really wondering who it could be while the answer is seconds away from me is a bit pointless. Especially saying it out loud is pretty pointless to me.

I guess I'm irritated by that line, because it always sounds like the character is surprised that the doorbell actually rang. Is it really such a strange event??
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 28th, 2013, 6:45 pm

New one:

A woman covering her breasts with a sheet when she gets out of bed. tehe

Seriously, in movies women often do it, although her husband/boyfriend is the only one present in the room and the curtains are closed. My wife never does that. Do some women do that in real life?
ICM-profile

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » July 28th, 2013, 6:51 pm

joachimt on Jul 28 2013, 12:45:43 PM wrote:New one:

Seriously, in movies women often do it, although her husband/boyfriend is the only one present in the room and the curtains are closed. My wife never does that. Do some women do that in real life?
Never witnessed this. All the girls / women I shared a bed with stood up liked they went to bed either clothed (pajamas or similar stuff) or naked. And as I like to share one sheet / blanket, I actually would have told them to cut it out to take away my blanket while I'm still in bed ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » July 28th, 2013, 7:16 pm

joachimt on Jul 28 2013, 12:45:43 PM wrote:New one:

I can think of a few women who would reflexively put on a robe or cover-up anytime they are out of bed, even to pee in an adjoining bathroom where no one could run into her -- especially older women (like my mother's generation) and especially if they're not wearing pajamas or a nightgown. The only reason I'd do it personally is if I were cold (I have a big blue robe that makes me look like Cookie Monster :P )...not for modesty.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 28th, 2013, 7:18 pm

burneyfan on Jul 28 2013, 01:16:33 PM wrote:I have a big blue robe that makes me look like Cookie Monster :P
Picture please...
ICM-profile

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » July 28th, 2013, 7:39 pm

joachimt on Jul 28 2013, 01:18:49 PM wrote:
burneyfan on Jul 28 2013, 01:16:33 PM wrote:I have a big blue robe that makes me look like Cookie Monster :P
Picture please...
I'm not going to keep this up long, and if anyone quotes this, please don't retain the image coding in your quote.
I may look a bit young for my age, but this isn't me here. It's the kid who's always stealing my clothes. (She was only a few weeks old here, and already monopolizing the bright blue Cookie Monster robe.)

(picture was here)
Last edited by burneyfan on July 29th, 2013, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » July 28th, 2013, 8:07 pm

Awwww. Floating on a cloud.
Last edited by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on July 28th, 2013, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 28th, 2013, 8:38 pm

:wub:
Thanks for the picture, burney!
ICM-profile

sheikofhyrule

Post by sheikofhyrule » July 29th, 2013, 3:54 am

metaller on Jul 28 2013, 11:53:40 AM wrote:Strange (unrealistic?) houshold customs. What I mean: People not turning the lights off in situations where people usually turn the lights off, the same with leaving water running. Or walking around in high heels as regular house shoes on a really expensive floor. I have never heard of nor seen a woman wearing heels when she is home alone...

And of course people not saying hello or goodbye or who they are on the phone.
Your post reminded me of this but not directly related.

Two people agreeing to go out on a date and they never get/give all the information necessary, day/time/place/etc. They usually just say "I'll pick you up."