Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

The Horror Lounge

cinephage
Donator

The Horror Lounge

Post by cinephage » November 21st, 2014, 2:12 am

This very short film was screened today at the PIFFF, I found it quite well done. The director is swedish...

http://vimeo.com/82920243

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 25th, 2014, 5:41 am

I dunno if anyone has noticed, but Netflix US is expiring quite a few horror films at the end of the month. Just thought I'd give a heads up in case anyone wanted to get a few residuals in from last month.

11/29
I Sell The Dead

11/30
Aftershock
C.H.U.D.
Creepshow 2
Dead End Drive-In
Dead Heat
House
House II: The Second Story
Return of the Killer Tomatoes
Return to Horror High
Slugs
The Stuff
Vamp

12/1
Audrey Rose
The Believers
Count Yorga, Vampire (1970) / The Return of Count Yorga (1971)
Event Horizon
The Horror Show
Invaders from Mars
Monkey Shines
Night of the Creeps
Vampire in Brooklyn
The Vampire Lovers

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 25th, 2014, 7:26 am

Question to no one in particular: Any of those absolutely worth watching? I've seen Night of the Creeps and thought it good enough and will probably watch The Stuff.

Invaders from Mars is the Tobe Hooper 1986 version. and it's weird it's expiring already they only added it Sept. 2nd (or at least according to instantwatcher)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 25th, 2014, 7:59 am

Dead Heat, House and Monkey Shines are good.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » November 25th, 2014, 3:25 pm

I would recommend Audrey Rose (not really horror, though) and Event Horizon. I enjoyed Monkey Shines, but saw it a long time ago, so I'm not so sure I'd like it today...

Invaders from Mars is a very strange movie. I love it, but I really can find no rational argument to defend it. Maybe it comes from the unusual visuals...

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 25th, 2014, 4:04 pm

I loved House and really liked Night of the Creeps. House II is pretty entertaining. Two of the three segments of Creepshow 2 are pretty solid (The Raft and The Hitchhiker). Aftershock is kinda meh. Recommended really only for Eli Roth fans.

Kobrakai

Post by Kobrakai » November 26th, 2014, 1:06 pm

I hope Netflix Belgium will add some more decent horror movies. We got a very small and poor selection so far :( .

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » December 25th, 2014, 1:19 pm

For fans of highly stylized and slightly surreal European horror like Zirneklis and Mr. Designer (listed as Mister Designer on iCM), get on this: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/pro ... omu+hajnu/

Making screenshots right now.
Last edited by XxXApathy420XxX on December 25th, 2014, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

beavis

Post by beavis » December 25th, 2014, 1:26 pm

can you also make a wetransfer ;)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 19th, 2015, 1:37 am

I found this: http://www.fangoria.com/new/never-mind- ... es-ballot/

and
BEST ACTOR
Lior Ashkenazi, BIG BAD WOLVES
Nick Damici, LATE PHASES
Jake Gyllenhaal, ENEMY
Jared Harris, THE QUIET ONES
Daniel Radcliffe, HORNS

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
David Asavanond, COUNTDOWN
Tzahi Grad, BIG BAD WOLVES
Gene Jones, THE SACRAMENT
Michael Parks, TUSK
Noah Wiseman, THE BABADOOK
HOW WAS ROTEM KEINAN NOT NOMINATED FOR ACTOR AND THE OTHER TWO WERE???
Last edited by mightysparks on January 19th, 2015, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

te18

Post by te18 » January 19th, 2015, 1:58 am

mightysparks on Jan 18 2015, 06:37:52 PM wrote:BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Noah Wiseman, THE BABADOOK
This kid murdered the trailer for The Babadook by being so annoying and is really the only reason I still haven't watched the film yet.

te18

Post by te18 » January 19th, 2015, 2:03 am

BEST LIMITED-RELEASE/DIRECT-TO-VIDEO FILM
THE BABADOOK, directed by Jennifer Kent
THE BATTERY, directed by Jeremy Gardner
HOUSEBOUND, directed by Gerard Johnstone
THE SACRAMENT, directed by Ti West
UNDER THE SKIN, directed by Jonathan Glazer
...is a more appealing list of films than any single batch of Oscar nominations in memory.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 19th, 2015, 2:07 am

I gave them all 5-6 except The Battery (an 8), so about the same as a batch of Oscar noms :P

te18

Post by te18 » January 19th, 2015, 6:59 pm

mightysparks on Jan 18 2015, 07:07:06 PM wrote:I gave them all 5-6 except The Battery (an 8), so about the same as a batch of Oscar noms :P
Heh, I'd rather watch a mediocre horror movie than mediocre Oscar bait.

I've only seen two of the actual list (The Battery and The Sacrament) and both got a 7.

te18

Post by te18 » March 7th, 2015, 1:46 am

Just noticed this on the Horror list. We're really reaching now guys..
Last edited by te18 on March 7th, 2015, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

GremVendetta

Post by GremVendetta » March 8th, 2015, 10:28 pm

Would just like to say The Sacrament was actually a pleasant surprise and I really enjoyed it. Didn't think I'd like it after all the most modern horror films usually are disappointing, but that film I feel deserves the praise it's getting.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 10th, 2015, 7:28 am

Bedevilled was goddamn awful. It's been sitting at the top of my unseen TSZDT films for ages so decided to finally watch it. Awful acting, stupid as feck, and I've never wanted the 'victim' in a film to be killed as much as I did with that horrible Bok-nam woman. Jesus christ was she annoying as hell. The other woman was almost as annoying, but mostly just dull as balls. To make things even worse, it's unbearably slow. It felt like it went for 5 years.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » March 16th, 2015, 7:22 pm

I'll attend the BIFFF again this year... So many great movies to watch, and so little time...

If you have titles you recommend, I'm all ears.

http://www.bifff.net/

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » March 17th, 2015, 12:11 am

cinephage on Mar 16 2015, 01:22:04 PM wrote:I'll attend the BIFFF again this year... So many great movies to watch, and so little time...

If you have titles you recommend, I'm all ears.

http://www.bifff.net/
A lot of these have played at Frightfest. I've made a list of the ones I know anything about and arranged them in order of how much I'd recommend seeing them:

German Angst
This comes with a rave review from one of the Frightfest organisers, talking up the hardcore gore and sadism. A must see.

Wyrmwood
This just played at the Glasgow Frightfest. It's really funny, cool and inventive. Highly recommended. 7/10

The Babadook
Critically acclaimed, and a strong piece of work though I didn't love it as much as some people. I'm surprised to see it as I thought it had been on wide release everywhere.

Lost Soul. The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau
Played the Autumn Frightfest. Documentary on the disastrous making of that awful Dr. Moreau film starring Val Kilmer and Marlon Brando. Apparently it's hilarious.

Faults
Psychological thriller with Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Played the Autumn Frightfest. Reaction was almost uniformly highly positive.

The Canal
Played at Frightfest. I didn't see it. Not everybody likes it but some people gave this very high praise.

Big Game
It's been playing a lot of festivals. I've heard it's a lot of fun.

Starry Eyes
Played the Autumn Frightfest. Weak plot but some impressive visuals and sound. Recommended. 6/10

The Editor
The makers of Manborg riff on the giallo genre. It played at the Halloween Frightfest at 6 in the morning but I left before it started. Word is positive.

The Guest
Been on wide release. I was really enjoying it until the final act let it down for me. A lot of people love it. 5/10

Life After Beth
Decent zombie rom-com. No great shakes but funnier and more likeable than the mixed reviews might lead you to believe. 5/10

La Isla Mínima
Detectives hunt a serial killer. This has been very popular in Spain.

The Forgotten
Had its world premiere on one of the smaller Frightfest screens at Autumn. Word of mouth is highly positive.

Late Phases
Played the Autumn Frightfest. Reaction was good.

Spring
I've heard pretty good things about this.

The Grandmaster
Wong Kar-Wai's take on Ip Man. It's been on wide release, reviews were generally good.

Robot Overlords
I'm really excited for this because it's Gillian Anderson fighting Robot Overlords, but it will probably be bad.

At the Devil's Door
Saw this at the Autumn Frightfest - typical US genre fare. A few effective jump scares but otherwise very generic and with some severe problems in the plot structure. 4/10

Blood Moon
It had its world premiere on the smallest screen at the Autumn Frightfest. I didn't hear anybody talking about it, but there is a single mention of it on the Frightfest forum, where "HeadOnAStick" priases it as "A very nice little horror film about Navajo Skinwalkers set in the old Wild West, really good stuff".

The House at the End of Time
I hated some of the horribly melodramatic elements, but most people who saw it at Frightfest were very impressed by it.

Everly
Salma Hayek fights off hordes of assassins. Reviews have been rather poor.

Extraterrestrial
I saw this at the Halloween Frightfest. An incredibly stupid "teens go to a cabin in the woods" movie with aliens as the monster. It's really bad but it does have some cheesily entertaining aspects. 3/10

The Sleeping Room
World premiered on the smallest screen at the Autumn Frightfest. Not much word of mouth.

Open Windows
Played Frightfest. Currently on Netflix. Not supposed to be any good.

Burying The Ex
Another zombie rom-com, but this time helmed by Joe Dante! Hoever, it's had some bad reviews.
Last edited by ChrisReynolds on March 17th, 2015, 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » March 17th, 2015, 7:54 am

Thanks a lot !! That will help me make my schedule...

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 17th, 2015, 8:00 am

The Babadook
Thought it was rubbish, but everyone else seems to be jizzing in their pants over it.

The Canal
Also rubbish.

The Editor
I really want to see it, so go see it and tell me if it's any good :P I like Astron 6, though haven't seen anything really great from them yet.

Goodnight Mommy
People keep recommending it to me :shrug:

The Guest
Awesome. My favourite film from 2014.

Honeymoon
Fecking horrible.

Life After Beth
Entertaining, but nothing amazing.

Starry Eyes
See above.

These Final Hours
Features an ice-skating rink less than 10 minutes from my house as well as the freeway that I drive down all the time. Other than that, it's decent but doesn't do a whole lot with the concept.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » March 17th, 2015, 8:03 am

I'll keep in mind the recommendation for the Guest (trailer looks like a lot of fun), and will try to watch The Editor, if the stars are right...

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » March 20th, 2015, 10:55 pm

If anyone is curious, Netflix US is expiring several horror movies including all Friday the 13th on there, all Amityville Horrors, both Jeepers Creepers, Human Centipede 2, Evil Dead 2, 2 headed Shark Attack, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, Reincarnation, The Craft and Saint Nick...

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » March 22nd, 2015, 9:43 pm

Shit, I guess I gotta finally watch Human Centipede 2.

Harco
Donator

Post by Harco » March 23rd, 2015, 9:36 pm

Looking for some recent horror recommendations. Quite enjoyed the following:

The Sacrament
The Conjuring
Sinister
The Babadook
The Houses October Built
Blue Ruin
Late Phases
Resolution
We Are What We Are
Housebound
Big Bad Wolves
The Woman in Black
The Quiet Ones

Maybe not all horror per se. I like the feel indie films like Blue Ruin, Late Phases, We Are What We Are, The Battery and Starry Eyes have (although I rated the latter two with 2/5).

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » March 24th, 2015, 9:49 pm

VincentPrice on Mar 22 2015, 03:43:07 PM wrote:Shit, I guess I gotta finally watch Human Centipede 2.
Yea... I bit the bullet on it. Pretty horrible all-around. It seemed to completely abandon the few things the first one did well (namely the solid performance from the main crazy guy and some suspense and skill in filming the escape sequences). Grimy, gross, poorly shot, poorly acted and totally unnecessary sequel.

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » March 24th, 2015, 10:21 pm

flavo5000 on Mar 24 2015, 03:49:16 PM wrote:
VincentPrice on Mar 22 2015, 03:43:07 PM wrote:Shit, I guess I gotta finally watch Human Centipede 2.
Yea... I bit the bullet on it. Pretty horrible all-around. It seemed to completely abandon the few things the first one did well (namely the solid performance from the main crazy guy and some suspense and skill in filming the escape sequences). Grimy, gross, poorly shot, poorly acted and totally unnecessary sequel.
I wasn't too impressed by either of the Human Centipedes. There is a lot of strength just in the concept but beyond that the first one is a very traditional "mad doctor" tale. The second one deserves some credit for fully committing to the grossness and depravity of the concept. It just feels like a purer expression of Tom Six's aesthetic and I did enjoy some of the lengths to which it went. On the filmmaking side, yes, the first one is better made all round. In my mind they come out about even, both 4/10s.

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » March 25th, 2015, 3:05 pm

The first Human Centipede was good for a laugh and that's about it, didn't really dislike it or anything though.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 25th, 2015, 3:14 pm

I find them both so boooooooooooooring.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 25th, 2015, 3:21 pm

Harco on Mar 23 2015, 03:36:33 PM wrote:Looking for some recent horror recommendations. Quite enjoyed the following:

The Sacrament
The Conjuring
Sinister
The Babadook
The Houses October Built
Blue Ruin
Late Phases
Resolution
We Are What We Are
Housebound
Big Bad Wolves
The Woman in Black
The Quiet Ones

Maybe not all horror per se. I like the feel indie films like Blue Ruin, Late Phases, We Are What We Are, The Battery and Starry Eyes have (although I rated the latter two with 2/5).
I suck at recommending films so I dunno :( I really don't get why everyone is going crazy over Blue Ruin either (plus Murder Party was miles better). Resolution I thought was a bit meh but was such a promising idea.

Some stuff that comes to mind, but you might've already seen or might not be what you're looking for:
Jug Face
Rammbock
Some Guy Who Kills People
Mientras duermes
Red White & Blue
The Returned
Contracted

And The Battery is more than a 2/5 you suck <_<

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 25th, 2015, 3:23 pm

The Greatful Dead is definitely recommended.

Spring, Babadook and The Midnight After are all nice films, but they all fail to go the extra mile.
The Guest was nice but failed completely at the end.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 25th, 2015, 3:27 pm

The Guest was awesome all the way you lieeeeee

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 25th, 2015, 3:33 pm

It goes overboard on the 80s/90s pulp influences during the final act. Way too forced too. The build-up wasn't bad, though a bit transparent, but once the bullets start flying it goes downhill real fast.

A shame because Wingard directed one of my all-time favorites, it's a shame he ventured into a different direction after that.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 25th, 2015, 3:37 pm

"Way too forced" is how I would describe Wingard's early work :whistling: His recent stuff is much more natural, refined and intelligent. Though I haven't seen Pop Skull yet because I think it will suck.
Last edited by mightysparks on March 25th, 2015, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 25th, 2015, 3:42 pm

I think Wingard's recent work tries to be intelligent, but fails because of that. Also not a big fan of all that retro-crap, nor the "buddy-group" that Wingard is a part of these days. I rather see him do some weird/edgy stuff instead.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 25th, 2015, 4:25 pm

I disagree that it tries to be intelligent, it just is. Except for his early stuff, which does try to be intelligent and fails :P Weird/edgy normally falls into that latter group. Normally those films reek of 'LOOK AT ME I'M SO DIFFERENT AND COOL' blech.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 25th, 2015, 4:59 pm

Always better than "look at me, I'm like a movie was 20 years ago and I'm so proud I still remember that time" tehe
Ti West is a worse offender though.

But I readily admit to liking bold, arrogant films. Especially (and of course) when they succeed.
Last edited by Onderhond on March 25th, 2015, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 25th, 2015, 5:11 pm

I don't get that from any of his films or Ti West for that matter. Ti West obviously likes the look and feel of 80s horror films, but I never feel like he's forcing it down your throat. I don't mind bold films, but arrogance is the worst quality anyone/anything can have aside from no sense of humour. But I rarely see these films succeed at anything. They're like emo Facebook statuses that no-one pays attention to. Just a desperate cry for attention

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 25th, 2015, 6:06 pm

It's hard to look at The House of the Devil and not feel like the 80s are forced down your throat.
As for arrogance (there's a more popular in reference to directors or films but it escapes me once again - even though it's terribly overused), it can go either way but if it's successful the film becomes an instant favorite. I prefer it over middle-of-the-road films that don't dare to stray from the path much.

Edit: pretentious! That's the word :)
Last edited by Onderhond on March 25th, 2015, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harco
Donator

Post by Harco » March 26th, 2015, 10:34 pm

Thanks! Downloaded most of the recommendations (couldn't find two of them, I think). Speaking of Wingard, Onderhond, by your favorite I'm guessing you mean A Horrible Way to Die? I agree with you about House of the Devil but I also have to say I really like that movie. Don't think West's other movies shove the 80's down your throat, though. But that's the whole point of House of the Devil, isn't it?