Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: Valkoinen peura, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

The Horror Lounge

sol
Donator

Re: The Horror Lounge

Post by sol » October 26th, 2019, 9:34 am

Just an update. I didn't end up buying the 5-film pass after all. I did the math, looked at what was viable and I initially planned to only buy three tickets - one for Rabid and two for two of the Saturday afternoon showings.

It's a week away now though and I still haven't bought any tickets and I don't even know if the three film idea would be pushing things. Had to leave work late yesterday (Friday) and was absolutely exhausted when I got home. My energy levels have not really picked up yet today. I have been trying to watch/finish off a few films in between doing marking and reports, but the workload is kind of daunting me at the moment and I don't know if I'll be up to spending a day at Innaloo on Saturday next week.

If I get through enough work next week and if my energy levels pick up, maybe I'll book a Friday or Saturday session if one is still available. Will let you know. It's a bit of a shame that they couldn't have started the Monster Fest at the beginning of October to coincide with the school holidays. :(

EDIT: This post looked absolutely wacky as the first post on a new page. The above message was addressed to Lauren - and anybody else who was planning to visit Perth for the film festival. Surely, some of you must have been enticed... :whistling:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 26th, 2019, 9:56 am

Yeah, that's a shame, this is the best thing we've had in a while - I went to the festival in 2014 but it was like 1 film a day for 5 days and the film I most wanted to see got cancelled the day it was playing and replaced with some really crappy generic found footage thing. Don't think it's been in Perth since.

I ended up getting a ticket for Deerskin and am skipping the documentary since I think it would overlap with the next film which I'm more interested in. It feels like I'm extending the horror challenge for a few more days and I'm really looking forward to a day without films lol. It seems like there's only 10-15 people in every screening (obviously people who bought VIP tickets since all in the same seats, only the bigger films have more seats taken), such a low turn-out but this was really poorly advertised.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 26th, 2019, 4:07 pm

We'll see how things go. After spending the entire day at home feeling crappy about the amount of work I had on my plate, I was invited to go out and had a really good time seeing the Zombieland sequel theatrically. So, I don't quite feel as down as I was feeling when I posted the message above - but I'd still rather wait until some time next week so that I can evaluate the workload that I have ahead of me. I don't think I would be able to fit in both a Friday night and Saturday screening, but I might be able to do one or the other, depending what gets dropped on my lap at work next week.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » October 28th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Midsommar was fabulous... not as good as Wicker Man, but also markedly different from that film in many ways.
The connection between what happens at the beginning of the film (the pivotal scene for the heroine) and the conclusion is fantastic; the two events are joined together pretty well and the finale ties things up. My only gripe is the length of some of the scenes, but I really feel most of this was needed as it establishes the characters and tone very well, imo.
Aster is fantastic with the characters and their development is gradual and realistic. This is one of my main gripes with most horror films, but he really nailed it here. I'll def be checking out Hereditary soon, and whatever else Aster comes up with next.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » October 29th, 2019, 1:28 pm

peeptoad wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 1:27 pm
Midsommar was fabulous... not as good as Wicker Man, but also markedly different from that film in many ways.
The connection between what happens at the beginning of the film (the pivotal scene for the heroine) and the conclusion is fantastic; the two events are joined together pretty well and the finale ties things up. My only gripe is the length of some of the scenes, but I really feel most of this was needed as it establishes the characters and tone very well, imo.
Aster is fantastic with the characters and their development is gradual and realistic. This is one of my main gripes with most horror films, but he really nailed it here. I'll def be checking out Hereditary soon, and whatever else Aster comes up with next.
Not ashamed to say that I rewatched this last night, so two views in two days. I don't do that often. It's right up there with Fehér isten as the best film I've so far in October.
eta: after the rewatch, I no longer have the mild gripe about the lengthy scenes. They are there for a reason that works tremendously with all the other elements of the film. Second time around they didn't even seem "lengthy" to me...

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 30th, 2019, 12:24 pm

mightysparks wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 9:56 am
Yeah, that's a shame, this is the best thing we've had in a while - I went to the festival in 2014 but it was like 1 film a day for 5 days and the film I most wanted to see got cancelled the day it was playing and replaced with some really crappy generic found footage thing. Don't think it's been in Perth since.

I ended up getting a ticket for Deerskin and am skipping the documentary since I think it would overlap with the next film which I'm more interested in. It feels like I'm extending the horror challenge for a few more days and I'm really looking forward to a day without films lol. It seems like there's only 10-15 people in every screening (obviously people who bought VIP tickets since all in the same seats, only the bigger films have more seats taken), such a low turn-out but this was really poorly advertised.
So an update: I've decided to take the plunge and have bought tickets to two of the Saturday screenings (and that's all). It would be nice to fit more in, but I can't afford to lump too much into my schedule at the moment. I ended up buying tickets to:

6:00pm - Vivarium
8:00pm - Deerskin

I don't know if there will be much of a break between those two sessions, especially if they play tons of ads, but if there is a gap between Deerskin and the film on your roster, it would be cool to meet up and have a chat. No idea if any coffee shops would be opening that time of night, but I guess there are vending machines?? Don't know. Haven't been to Innaloo in a while. Anyway, let me know what you think. If you have other plans or don't think there will be enough time, that's cool, we can always chat about the films on here afterwards; just thought that I would throw out the suggestion. :)
Image Image Image

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 30th, 2019, 1:45 pm

The next film is at 10.20 so there might be some time to catch up. See how we go. I’m kinda tired of horror films now lol but still excited.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 2nd, 2019, 3:29 pm

Repeated from the Unofficial Challenge thread, but here are my snippet takes on the two Monster Fest films that I ended up watching:

Vivarium (2019)

This reminded me a lot of El Incidente, especially with replenished supplies, and a little of In the Tall Grass, with both those films also involving characters trapped inside structures that seem to defy physics as we know it. Whereas as those two explain too much of their mythology though, Vivarium explains too little and I thought it had little to offer beyond the concept. Very repetitive too, except for the WTFish/unclear final 10 minutes.

Deerskin (2019)

This was pretty fun. A comedy with horror tones involving a man going through a midlife crisis who takes advice from a deerskin jacket that talks to him and encourages him to destroy every other jacket in the world. As this is going on, he keeps buying more and more deerskin stuff and actually becomes a deer (if not literally) by the end of the movie. Lot of amusing dark touches too as his jacket quest ends up involving amateur filmmaking and murder.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 7th, 2019, 3:42 pm

As of this moment, Doctor Sleep has 16.2% Favs/Checks on iCM. I guess I should watch it sooner rather than later if I want to include it in the Unofficial Challenge, lest it enter the Most Favorite list over the next few days. :unsure:
Image Image Image

yllow

Post by yllow » November 8th, 2019, 9:18 am

15.5% now.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 8th, 2019, 1:30 pm

And 14.4% now. Seems I spoke too soon. :whistling:
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 8th, 2019, 2:02 pm

And now 14.3%. :unsure: I guess it will take a while for these numbers to become steady.
Image Image Image

yllow

Post by yllow » November 8th, 2019, 11:45 pm

13.0% now.