Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

The Horror Lounge

Post Reply
kingink
Posts: 2514
Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Contact:

The Horror Lounge

#1

Post by kingink » April 18th, 2013, 8:39 pm

This is the place to post anything about this wonderful movie genre.

Beware! Not for the faint-hearted. Gory videos and pics are encouraged in order to feed our hunger for blood :D

Like this one for example



:P

kingink
Posts: 2514
Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Contact:

#2

Post by kingink » April 18th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Sir Plebeian recommended this great but very obscure giallo
Il profumo della signora in nero (1974)
that was what made me start this topic.



Image

User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8209
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#3

Post by jvv » April 18th, 2013, 9:37 pm

I'm not a fan of horror, but would like to contribute this :


kingink
Posts: 2514
Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Contact:

#4

Post by kingink » April 18th, 2013, 9:48 pm

That was great! I needed a good laugh...
Don Hertzfeldt is awesome

Laydback
Posts: 222
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#5

Post by Laydback » April 18th, 2013, 10:43 pm

Image

The first iconic Jason.

kingink
Posts: 2514
Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Contact:

#6

Post by kingink » April 19th, 2013, 8:34 am

Incorporating the hockey mask was a great move. He went from his former redneck status
Image

to his iconic image we all love.

Image


I never looked who played Jason. It seems there are a bunch of guys but you're right Laydback. He's the first iconic Jason
RIP Richard Brooker

agrimorfee
Posts: 223
Joined: Feb 05, 2013
Contact:

#7

Post by agrimorfee » April 19th, 2013, 3:44 pm

I guess we can open up discussion by listing our favorites. Although I enjoy a good (or BAD--i mean GRADE Z) horror movie, there are very few that I enjoy viewing again.

Poltergeist
Evil Dead II
Incubus (the Shatner one!)
Bride of Frankenstein
Nosferatu (Murnau, gotta see Herzog yet)
Ginger Snaps
Plan Nine From Outer Space
The Shining
Psycho (need I say which one?!)
The Birds
Last edited by agrimorfee on April 19th, 2013, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2206
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#8

Post by clemmetarey » April 19th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Did anyone here saw the videoclip of Cattle Decapitation "Forced Gender Reassignment'' ?

Warning, it's very graphic : http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/31958 ... ideo-ever/

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Posts: 11696
Joined: May 29, 2011
Contact:

#9

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » April 19th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Ah, a new lounge. It's nice in here, but it could use a little decor-- some ferns, a nice lamp. And the wallpaper choice is interesting:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
Image

kingink
Posts: 2514
Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Contact:

#10

Post by kingink » April 19th, 2013, 9:02 pm

clemmetarey on Apr 19 2013, 10:49:45 AM wrote:Did anyone here saw the videoclip of Cattle Decapitation "Forced Gender Reassignment'' ?

Warning, it's very graphic : http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/31958 ... ideo-ever/
No... but I did just now.
I hated the music but the clip was gory


The part with the intestines wasn't that weird for me :whistling:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow

kingink
Posts: 2514
Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Contact:

#11

Post by kingink » April 19th, 2013, 9:11 pm

agrimorfee on Apr 19 2013, 09:44:15 AM wrote:I guess we can open up discussion by listing our favorites. Although I enjoy a good (or BAD--i mean GRADE Z) horror movie, there are very few that I enjoy viewing again.

Poltergeist
Evil Dead II
Incubus (the Shatner one!)
Bride of Frankenstein
Nosferatu (Murnau, gotta see Herzog yet)
Ginger Snaps
Plan Nine From Outer Space
The Shining
Psycho (need I say which one?!)
The Birds
I haven't watched Incumbus yet and to be honest I never heard of it before. Let's see what it is then.
I don't like The birds and I never understood what is so great about it. All the others are great though. Even Plan Nine From Outer Space. Yes. Why not?

kingink
Posts: 2514
Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Contact:

#12

Post by kingink » April 19th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Apr 19 2013, 12:36:36 PM wrote:Ah, a new lounge. It's nice in here, but it could use a little decor-- some ferns, a nice lamp. And the wallpaper choice is interesting:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
Image
Nice work with the walls. I have a guy who makes some great leather furniture
Image

agrimorfee
Posts: 223
Joined: Feb 05, 2013
Contact:

#13

Post by agrimorfee » April 20th, 2013, 6:36 am

kingink on Apr 19 2013, 03:11:38 PM wrote:I haven't watched Incumbus yet and to be honest I never heard of it before. Let's see what it is then.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus_(1966_film)


http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=LHUfHj2l ... HUfHj2lTaM
Last edited by agrimorfee on April 24th, 2013, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CMT
Posts: 1386
Joined: Jan 26, 2013
Contact:

#14

Post by CMT » April 20th, 2013, 1:02 pm

kingink on Apr 19 2013, 03:11:38 PM wrote:
agrimorfee on Apr 19 2013, 09:44:15 AM wrote:I guess we can open up discussion by listing our favorites. Although I enjoy a good (or BAD--i mean GRADE Z) horror movie, there are very few that I enjoy viewing again.

Poltergeist
Evil Dead II
Incubus (the Shatner one!)
Bride of Frankenstein
Nosferatu (Murnau, gotta see Herzog yet)
Ginger Snaps
Plan Nine From Outer Space
The Shining
Psycho (need I say which one?!)
The Birds
I haven't watched Incumbus yet and to be honest I never heard of it before. Let's see what it is then.
I don't like The birds and I never understood what is so great about it. All the others are great though. Even Plan Nine From Outer Space. Yes. Why not?
I can understand the notion of so bad it's good, but I found that Plan 9 From Outer Space has a lot of spaces between funny parts. I felt it veared too many times into boringly inept than hilariously inept. It's not as constantly funny as Glen or Glenda.

kingink
Posts: 2514
Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Contact:

#15

Post by kingink » April 20th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Chris M Turton on Apr 20 2013, 07:02:23 AM wrote:
kingink on Apr 19 2013, 03:11:38 PM wrote:
agrimorfee on Apr 19 2013, 09:44:15 AM wrote:I guess we can open up discussion by listing our favorites. Although I enjoy a good (or BAD--i mean GRADE Z) horror movie, there are very few that I enjoy viewing again.

Poltergeist
Evil Dead II
Incubus (the Shatner one!)
Bride of Frankenstein
Nosferatu (Murnau, gotta see Herzog yet)
Ginger Snaps
Plan Nine From Outer Space
The Shining
Psycho (need I say which one?!)
The Birds
I haven't watched Incumbus yet and to be honest I never heard of it before. Let's see what it is then.
I don't like The birds and I never understood what is so great about it. All the others are great though. Even Plan Nine From Outer Space. Yes. Why not?
I can understand the notion of so bad it's good, but I found that Plan 9 From Outer Space has a lot of spaces between funny parts. I felt it veared too many times into boringly inept than hilariously inept. It's not as constantly funny as Glen or Glenda.
I didn't find it that bad to be honest
I genuinely kind of liked it :whistling:
It had a nice vibe and some value for what it is. A low budget sci-fi comedy done with love and determination

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29428
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#16

Post by mightysparks » April 20th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Haven't been in a movie mood lately, so I've been watching horror films (horror is the only thing I can watch no matter what my mood is like). Sadly, most of them have been crappy :(

Is there anything greater than a great horror film? No, there is not. Not even chocolate.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 12332
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#17

Post by Cippenham » April 20th, 2013, 2:14 pm

mightysparks on Apr 20 2013, 08:03:28 AM wrote:Haven't been in a movie mood lately, so I've been watching horror films (horror is the only thing I can watch no matter what my mood is like). Sadly, most of them have been crappy :(

Is there anything greater than a great horror film? No, there is not. Not even chocolate.
Well there are many I have not seen, I do not yet have Bronze on the 500 list-229 seen. But I actually have been surprised I do like some Horror, especially the older classics.

Welcome back btw.. :cheers:
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

User avatar
Daviddoes
Posts: 1167
Joined: Aug 06, 2012
Contact:

#18

Post by Daviddoes » April 21st, 2013, 8:34 am

Here is a fun horror/comedy short I just watched The Elaborate End of Robert Ebb

kingink
Posts: 2514
Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Contact:

#19

Post by kingink » April 21st, 2013, 9:31 am

Daviddoes on Apr 21 2013, 02:34:16 AM wrote:Here is a fun horror/comedy short I just watched The Elaborate End of Robert Ebb
That was fun! If you mix comedy with horror you can't go wrong.

Have you watched The Horribly Slow Murderer with the Extremely Inefficient Weapon?

Laydback
Posts: 222
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#20

Post by Laydback » April 21st, 2013, 9:55 am

Fuk it. I'll try my top 10:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre '74-Keep in mind, I hated this movie when I first saw it. It's since become my most favorite Horror film of all time. I'll let you figure that out.

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde '32-The P.O.V is INSANE for it's time. Plus, the pre-code filmmaking...PLUS the fact that Hyde gets more hideous with each transformation (Gives you the impression that Hyde could have become much more nightmare-ish if the film went on longer...Give that some thought) --Okay, if there's one thing that I do hate about this film, it's the "GEE-KEL" pronounciation. Even if Stevenson OK'd that pronounciation, it just still sounds silly.

An American Werewolf in London-Humor, Bleakness, horror-movie references, Epic FX, Jenny Agutter :wub: This has it all for me.

Night of the Living Dead '68-True horror to me is when you don't make it out alive even if you have a shot at doing so. This is a prime example.

Black Christmas '74-The killer has a massive motive to kill you. But you're completely innocent of the crime. And all along, he's been living in your attic to make sure that you'll die by his hand.

Psycho '60-I just love the fact that you have to pay for a random crime by running into the ultimate murdering maniac.

Evil Dead '83-More people seem to love the Ash-action/craziness of EVIL DEAD 2, but I strongly perfer the Indie-Ash-solitude of the original.

Nosferatu '22-Max Shrek is a living monstrosity. 'nuff said.

Zombi 2-The music. The gore. The World Trade Center imagery (Adding more unpleasantness nowdays) The decayed corpses coming at you. The decayed corpses going after live animals (Sharks!) What fun to see.

Freaks-Although I view it more as a "Cult" film than a horror film, I can't argue with anyone else who thinks otherwise.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29428
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#21

Post by mightysparks » April 21st, 2013, 10:33 am

Evil Dead 1 >>> the sequels
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
Daviddoes
Posts: 1167
Joined: Aug 06, 2012
Contact:

#22

Post by Daviddoes » April 21st, 2013, 11:26 am

kingink on Apr 21 2013, 03:31:56 AM wrote:
Daviddoes on Apr 21 2013, 02:34:16 AM wrote:Here is a fun horror/comedy short I just watched The Elaborate End of Robert Ebb
That was fun! If you mix comedy with horror you can't go wrong.

Have you watched The Horribly Slow Murderer with the Extremely Inefficient Weapon?
Yeah I pretty much feel the same way.

I've seen Horribly Slow Murderer and I enjoyed it too.
Last edited by Daviddoes on April 21st, 2013, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29428
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#23

Post by mightysparks » April 21st, 2013, 12:07 pm

I showed Horribly Slow Murderer to my mum and her boyfriend last night, they both liked it :)
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

kingink
Posts: 2514
Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Contact:

#24

Post by kingink » April 21st, 2013, 12:45 pm

Making a top ten is so difficult, especially if it's for a genre like this. Great movies Laydback. I'm especially happy for the zombie flicks in your list. Night of the Living Dead is amazing



User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2206
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#25

Post by clemmetarey » April 21st, 2013, 1:00 pm

kingink on Apr 21 2013, 06:45:31 AM wrote:Making a top ten is so difficult, especially if it's for a genre like this. Great movies Laydback. I'm especially happy for the zombie flicks in your list. Night of the Living Dead is amazing






I re-watch it recently in a bar, during the "old school metal night". The mix of the two was amazing.

kingink
Posts: 2514
Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Contact:

#26

Post by kingink » April 21st, 2013, 2:04 pm

Zombieland the series? Nice! I just found out this existed!
We need more zombies in our lives :ph43r:

It was a good pilot. Funny with a good pace.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29428
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#27

Post by mightysparks » April 21st, 2013, 2:13 pm

My top 10 is something like:

1. From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
2. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
3. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
4. House of 1000 Corpses (2003)
5. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
6. Pet Sematary (1989)
7. The Evil Dead (1981)
8. 28 Days Later... (2002)
9. Braindead (1992)
10. Scream (1996)

First 6 are 10/10, others could easily be a 10 too. Could also change depending on my mood.

Since I'm biased towards post-1970, here's my top 10 'classic' horror films:
1. Psycho (1960)
2. The Haunting (1963)
3. Das Cabinet Des Dr. Caligari (1920)
4. Taste of Fear (1961)
5. Körkarlen (1921)
6. Frankenstein (1931)
7. Sei donne per l'assassino (1964)
8. The Cat and the Canary (1939)
9. Wait Until Dark (1967)
10. Viy (1967)
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8209
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#28

Post by jvv » April 23rd, 2013, 7:35 pm



Don't miss the part after the credits.

agrimorfee
Posts: 223
Joined: Feb 05, 2013
Contact:

#29

Post by agrimorfee » April 24th, 2013, 1:45 pm

mightysparks on Apr 21 2013, 08:13:34 AM wrote:My top 10 is something like:

1. From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
Oh hell, how could I forget that!?

That also brings to my absent mind--
Dracula (the Coppola one...yeah, I can live with Keanu's ineptitude & Hopkins' scene chewing...and the ending is better than Stoker's)
John Carpenter's Vampires (a tour de force for James Woods)

kingink
Posts: 2514
Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Contact:

#30

Post by kingink » May 2nd, 2013, 6:08 pm

After watching 4 "Wrong turn" movies and the new "Texas chainsaw" I think I have second thoughts about going to my village for Easter :D

I quite enjoyed them all, even if some of them are a bit stupid

Coopaloop
Posts: 50
Joined: Apr 21, 2012
Contact:

#31

Post by Coopaloop » May 14th, 2013, 11:08 am

Anyone catch the Masters of Horror series? There were some good eps by Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, Argento and the likes.

But lately i was surprised at the Maniac remake. It surpassed the original for sure.

User avatar
cinephage
Donator
Posts: 3695
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Contact:

#32

Post by cinephage » May 14th, 2013, 1:21 pm

Coopaloop on May 14 2013, 05:08:30 AM wrote:Anyone catch the Masters of Horror series? There were some good eps by Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, Argento and the likes.
I also liked the Miike episode, quite strong and dark.

User avatar
VincentPrice
Posts: 3911
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Maine
Contact:

#33

Post by VincentPrice » May 14th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Season 1

Incident On and Off a Mountain Road (Don Coscarelli) 8/10

H.P. Lovecraft's Dreams in the Witch-House (Stuart Gordon) 7/10

Dance of the Dead (Tobe Hooper) 1/10

Jenifer (Dario Argento) 7/10

Chocolate (Mick Garris) 1/10

Homecoming (Joe Dante) 7/10

Deer Woman (John Landis) 9/10

Cigarette Burns (John Carpenter) 9/10

Fair Haired Child (William Malone) 7/10

Sick Girl (Lucky McKee) 5/10

Pick Me Up (Larry Cohen) 10/10

Haeckel's Tale (John McNaughton) 7/10

Imprint (Takashi Miike) 7/10

Season 2

The Damned Thing (Tobe Hooper) 7/10

Family (John Landis) 9/10

The V Word (Ernest Dickerson) 6/10

Sounds Like (Brad Anderson) 6/10

Pro-Life (John Carpenter) 9/10

Pelts (Dario Argento) 10/10

The Screwfly Solution (Joe Dante) 7/10

Valerie on the Stairs (Mick Garris) 1/10

Right to Die (Rob Schmidt) 6/10

We All Scream for Ice Cream (Tom Holland) 7/10

The Black Cat (Stuart Gordon) 7/10

The Washingtonians (Peter Medak) 5/10

Dream Cruise (Norio Tsuruta) 4/10

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29428
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#34

Post by mightysparks » May 14th, 2013, 10:04 pm

I rated them all but on my phone and too hard. Didn't really go crazy on any of them but Deer Woman was my favourite coz it was hilarious, 7/10.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
VincentPrice
Posts: 3911
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Maine
Contact:

#35

Post by VincentPrice » May 14th, 2013, 10:17 pm

I should watch some of them again because I barely remember a couple.

I definitely know Tobe Hooper's Dance of the Dead and the two Mick Garris episodes will always be the worst though

User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13058
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

#36

Post by brokenface » May 14th, 2013, 10:55 pm

didn't know John Carpenter did two episodes. seen Cigarette Burns will have to check out the other one.

Coopaloop
Posts: 50
Joined: Apr 21, 2012
Contact:

#37

Post by Coopaloop » May 15th, 2013, 11:17 am

cinephage on May 14 2013, 07:21:27 AM wrote:
Coopaloop on May 14 2013, 05:08:30 AM wrote:Anyone catch the Masters of Horror series? There were some good eps by Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, Argento and the likes.
I also liked the Miike episode, quite strong and dark.
Actually, that might have been the best episode. In my memory, i had it as a feature Miike film. :lol: Yeah it was great.

Coopaloop
Posts: 50
Joined: Apr 21, 2012
Contact:

#38

Post by Coopaloop » May 15th, 2013, 11:24 am

There was also a Masters of Science Fiction as well. But i guess that's another thread..

User avatar
ChrisReynolds
Donator
Posts: 2424
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Location: London, UK
Contact:

#39

Post by ChrisReynolds » May 16th, 2013, 3:18 am

Coopaloop on May 14 2013, 05:08:30 AM wrote:Anyone catch the Masters of Horror series? There were some good eps by Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, Argento and the likes.

But lately i was surprised at the Maniac remake. It surpassed the original for sure.
I saw them all when they came out, and the quality is hugely variable. VincentPrice is pretty dead on with the comparative rankings of the episodes. Deer woman and Pelts were my favourites, and I loathed Chocolate and Dance of the Dead. There was also a third series in everything but name called "Fear Itself" which i still havent seen yet where they moved to NBC and down the violence.
On the topic of horror anthology series, has anybody else seen a UK series called Urban Gothic? Like Masters of Horror it's very variable, but Vampirology and Necromance I thought were very good, and all the episodes are 25 minutes so if you get a bad one you don't have to endure too much. One of the season 2 episodes was remade as an episode of Fear Itself.
Hammer House of Horror was a pretty good horror series too, despite having so little budget that they use the same location redressed for every episode.
And Maniac was brilliant. Amazingly stylish and well scored, but it got hardly any recognition from mainstream critics. Maniac and American Mary were the two horror films that made my top ten when we did the best of the 2010s.
Last edited by ChrisReynolds on May 16th, 2013, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coopaloop
Posts: 50
Joined: Apr 21, 2012
Contact:

#40

Post by Coopaloop » May 18th, 2013, 6:19 pm

ChrisReynolds on May 15 2013, 09:18:25 PM wrote:
Coopaloop on May 14 2013, 05:08:30 AM wrote:Anyone catch the Masters of Horror series? There were some good eps by Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, Argento and the likes.

But lately i was surprised at the Maniac remake. It surpassed the original for sure.
I saw them all when they came out, and the quality is hugely variable. VincentPrice is pretty dead on with the comparative rankings of the episodes. Deer woman and Pelts were my favourites, and I loathed Chocolate and Dance of the Dead. There was also a third series in everything but name called "Fear Itself" which i still havent seen yet where they moved to NBC and down the violence.
On the topic of horror anthology series, has anybody else seen a UK series called Urban Gothic? Like Masters of Horror it's very variable, but Vampirology and Necromance I thought were very good, and all the episodes are 25 minutes so if you get a bad one you don't have to endure too much. One of the season 2 episodes was remade as an episode of Fear Itself.
Hammer House of Horror was a pretty good horror series too, despite having so little budget that they use the same location redressed for every episode.
And Maniac was brilliant. Amazingly stylish and well scored, but it got hardly any recognition from mainstream critics. Maniac and American Mary were the two horror films that made my top ten when we did the best of the 2010s.
I think we all agree with the rankings of the MoH series. Saw a couple of Fear Itself eps. None stand in my memory. But i am keen to give them a quick once over. Totally off topic but sorta on topic was the other series called Night Visions. It basically was a poor mans twilight and outerlimits. But one ep (with bill pullman) was terrific. " A View Through the Window" is a great concept and looks similar to "Die Wand/The Wall" which i have but have no eng subs...

http://youtu.be/0GWjp65R3zo

Post Reply