Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 5 released June 2nd)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1935 (Results), 1966 awards (Jun 9th)
Challenges: TSPDT, 1960s, China/Hong Kong/Taiwan
Film of the Week: Údolí vcel, July nominations (Jun 26th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A: Poland vs Mexico (Jun 4th), Match 2B: Tajikistan vs Italy (Jun 14th)

Walking out of the Cinema

leyenda

Walking out of the Cinema

Post by leyenda » April 6th, 2013, 6:00 pm

Have you ever done it? Was it purely out of dislike for the film or something else?

My brother and I walked out of Nine. DDL was not enough to save that monstrosity. Also left Signs with a little left to see, not out of hatred but because I was supposed to be going to a family thing so my dad picked me up with some of it left to go.

My parents apparently walked out of Pulp Fiction :facepalm:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 6th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Never done it, probably never would.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 6th, 2013, 6:12 pm

The last time my wife and I went to the cinema, we walked out. It was "The dark knight". My wife got so sick of the constant movement on the big screen, she almost threw up during the break. We didn't go back when the break was over. Since then we don't go to the cinema anymore.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Gregmnewman

Post by Gregmnewman » April 6th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Did it once, after about an hour of JFK, decided life was to short and went for a meal instead.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 6th, 2013, 6:17 pm

I remember wanting to walk out of "Titanic", because of all the wining girls around me when
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
Leonardo was dying
. But my girlfriend wanted to stay...
ICM-profile

Kowry

Post by Kowry » April 6th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Never done it, doubt I'll do it in the future either (barring cases when something unexpected comes up in the middle of the film, I remember an appointment, etc.). I always want to complete films I've started watching. But who knows, may happen some day.

Samlion

Post by Samlion » April 6th, 2013, 6:23 pm

never done, never will do. always give the chance to the product (quote from la verite si je mens, very famous comedy in france)
i got several movies in mind that were saved/transcended/magnified by the last minutes
a movie can be saved by its last seconds/minutes
Last edited by Samlion on April 6th, 2013, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » April 6th, 2013, 6:28 pm

Samlion on Apr 6 2013, 12:23:14 PM wrote:never done, never will do. always give the chance to the product (quote from la verite si je mens, very famous comedy in france)
:thumbsup:

Also, I can't relate to people who leave sporting events early (other than for an emergency).

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 6th, 2013, 6:30 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Apr 6 2013, 12:28:33 PM wrote:
Samlion on Apr 6 2013, 12:23:14 PM wrote:never done, never will do. always give the chance to the product (quote from la verite si je mens, very famous comedy in france)

Also, I can't relate to people who leave sporting events early (other than for an emergency).
... or leaving a concert before the encore. :down:
ICM-profile

Kowry

Post by Kowry » April 6th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Apr 6 2013, 12:28:33 PM wrote:

Can't relate to people who go to sports events :P

rokp

Post by rokp » April 6th, 2013, 6:37 pm

If I get a chance to see Der letzte Mann in cinema I'll do it. Or in any other case where walkout could be clear statement about something more than film being simply bad. Otherwise I will never do it, as I haven't so far.

insomnia

Post by insomnia » April 6th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Never done it, people who do always amuse me though. Cosmopolis was a particular high-point in that regard where about half the people left.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » April 6th, 2013, 6:49 pm

yeah I never have either. just mentioned on the other thread closest time was a horror film called Haze because it had endless tooth-related nastiness, which is my bane. but it was a short(ish) and they were showing a couple of other things after so I just winced and looked away sometimes.

Samlion

Post by Samlion » April 6th, 2013, 6:56 pm

i can't deny that sometime, i have an incredible envy to walk out nut i stay. how knows, what can happen
for les Miserables nothing happens. 2h30 very long

Timec

Post by Timec » April 6th, 2013, 7:04 pm

I walked out of Sin City after about 30 minutes - it was the first R-rated movie I saw in a theater after turning 17, and the extreme violence was just a bit too much for me. (I had been (stealthily) watching R-rated movies at home before then, but they were all relatively mild.)

I finished watching Sin City on DVD a year or so later and didn't mind it nearly as much.
Last edited by Timec on April 6th, 2013, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 6th, 2013, 9:37 pm

Limedebois on Apr 6 2013, 12:37:24 PM wrote:I walked out of the premiere Lumière brothers projection few years ago. When I saw the train coming right in front of me and my 47th wife, I just run outside. I remember very well talking about it and saying that this cinématographe gimmick won't change anything. This is the time I decided to launch myself into the savate (I even won the World/French championship). It took me 40 years "to walk in" again in a cinema. It was with my 49th wife for Show Boat. She was an actress-singer at these time, and she wanted to be a movie star. As the last movie star in a film was a train I didn't accept it, but... I loved Show Boat... After this, during the war, she tried to be a stage actress-singer-dancer, but she broke her neck in a dancing class. So, I bought a theater; she made a cinema theater of it, and we descovered after the war all the films we have missed like Gone with the wind, Citizen Kane... And I start to really like this old cinematographe. I've never known if the characters in this first film catched the train but I needed a long time to catch the next train. Since then, I still watching films in my old theater. Just me and my Margaretta von Stroheim wife. Last time, she dreamt about trains. But she's too old for that kind of sexual game. She's 103 years old. So I walked out for the second time in my life, because of a train.

In general, I don't walk out, I just fall asleep and Alfredo, my projectionist, stop the film. And my hundred-year-old wife wakes up me singing Ol' Man River with her broken voice. Hate her.
I love this post so much.

jgwr

Post by jgwr » April 7th, 2013, 7:24 am

If I think a film's really shit, yes. The only time I can remember walking out of a film for any other reason was Takeshi Kitano's "Brother", and that was because there was renovations going on elsewhere in the cinema complex and the noise from that was shitting me to tears.

JM1138

Post by JM1138 » April 7th, 2013, 12:58 pm

jgwr on Apr 7 2013, 01:24:36 AM wrote:If I think a film's really shit, yes. The only time I can remember walking out of a film for any other reason was Takeshi Kitano's "Brother", and that was because there was renovations going on elsewhere in the cinema complex and the noise from that was shitting me to tears.
"Shitting me to tears" is my favourite Australianism ever :thumbsup:

And no, I don't think I've ever walked out of a film. I mean, do people really hate films so much that they physically can't bear to watch?! I think if I saw something that awful it'd probably be so-bad-it's-funny anyway.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 7th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Is that an Australian thing? I hear it all the time, just assumed it was said everywhere. I learn something new every day :P
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

JM1138

Post by JM1138 » April 7th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Nah it's just you guys as far as I know. You should definitely say it as much as possible when you're in London, we love taking the piss out of foreigners. Also, please call everything "shithouse" and talk about your "doona." Both are also hilarious.

lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste » April 7th, 2013, 1:38 pm

funkybusiness on Apr 6 2013, 03:37:36 PM wrote:
Limedebois on Apr 6 2013, 12:37:24 PM wrote:I walked out of the premiere Lumière brothers projection few years ago. When I saw the train coming right in front of me and my 47th wife, I just run outside. I remember very well talking about it and saying that this cinématographe gimmick won't change anything. This is the time I decided to launch myself into the savate (I even won the World/French championship). It took me 40 years "to walk in" again in a cinema. It was with my 49th wife for Show Boat. She was an actress-singer at these time, and she wanted to be a movie star. As the last movie star in a film was a train I didn't accept it, but... I loved Show Boat... After this, during the war, she tried to be a stage actress-singer-dancer, but she broke her neck in a dancing class. So, I bought a theater; she made a cinema theater of it, and we descovered after the war all the films we have missed like Gone with the wind, Citizen Kane... And I start to really like this old cinematographe. I've never known if the characters in this first film catched the train but I needed a long time to catch the next train. Since then, I still watching films in my old theater. Just me and my Margaretta von Stroheim wife. Last time, she dreamt about trains. But she's too old for that kind of sexual game. She's 103 years old. So I walked out for the second time in my life, because of a train.

In general, I don't walk out, I just fall asleep and Alfredo, my projectionist, stop the film. And my hundred-year-old wife wakes up me singing Ol' Man River with her broken voice. Hate her.
I love this post so much.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 7th, 2013, 1:39 pm

JM1138 on Apr 7 2013, 07:31:02 AM wrote:Nah it's just you guys as far as I know. You should definitely say it as much as possible when you're in London, we love taking the piss out of foreigners. Also, please call everything "shithouse" and talk about your "doona." Both are also hilarious.
I don't swear :P Doona is an Australian thing as well? Wtf :(

Ralf

Post by Ralf » April 7th, 2013, 4:22 pm

I walked out of "A Good Day to Die Hard", about halfway in. It was just such an intolerable mess of a movie. I started planning my escape about 20 minutes in, as soon as the first big, AWFUL car chase began. Since I'm socially rather awkward, I felt really embarrassed by the thought of walking out before a full crowd, so I stuck around for a while, but at one point I started feeling like I was about to get a seizure, my palms just filled with cold sweat, I felt like I was in a crowded public beach with diarrhea about to kick in. So I just left. And I NEVER do that. But it was just so amazingly terrible.

Also, I contemplated watching the whole thing just to justify a check on ICM. I still ended up checking it. B)
Last edited by Ralf on April 7th, 2013, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 7th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Haven't walked out but I was sound asleep (as was my dad) when my sister dragged us along to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I had never seen a foreign film before . Only time I've ever slept at the cinema.
Talking Images, the iCM forum podcast: https://open.spotify.com/show/3GhRXnb6OzOnfae2Uvkvus

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 7th, 2013, 4:30 pm

I walked away once when I was a dumb and immature 14-15 year old with my friends in The Black Dahlia. I saw it a few years later and it was still shit though. Once my mom took the family to see Mr. Popper's Penguins and I fell asleep during that.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on April 7th, 2013, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » April 7th, 2013, 5:27 pm

mightysparks on Apr 7 2013, 07:39:19 AM wrote:
JM1138 on Apr 7 2013, 07:31:02 AM wrote:Nah it's just you guys as far as I know. You should definitely say it as much as possible when you're in London, we love taking the piss out of foreigners. Also, please call everything "shithouse" and talk about your "doona." Both are also hilarious.
Had to look up doona. Never even heard the word.

Except ... random memory jogged ... for a sci-fi/fantasy book I read as a kid: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/034535377 ... mdp_mobile

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » April 7th, 2013, 5:44 pm

ArthurYanthar on Apr 7 2013, 10:30:13 AM wrote:I walked away once when I was a dumb and immature 14-15 year old with my friends in The Black Dahlia. I saw it a few years later and it was still shit though.
yep that was a real bad film. Great book, ruined. probably De Palma's worst (at least of what I've seen)

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » April 7th, 2013, 9:29 pm

brokenface on Apr 7 2013, 11:44:20 AM wrote:
ArthurYanthar on Apr 7 2013, 10:30:13 AM wrote:I walked away once when I was a dumb and immature 14-15 year old with my friends in The Black Dahlia. I saw it a few years later and it was still shit though.
yep that was a real bad film. Great book, ruined. probably De Palma's worst (at least of what I've seen)
This! Loved the book, looked forward to the movie, hated the movie. (Didn't walk out of it, though -- saw the whole, sad thing at home.)

Sir Plebeian

Post by Sir Plebeian » April 7th, 2013, 9:59 pm

I have done it one time with Dude, Where's My Car? (2000). I see what you guys are saying "there might be something that changes the film for you later on" but I can safely say, I do not feel this is the case for this movie, it was so so bad. (I have watched it sense then and it was just as bad throughout)

OH! I left on Corky Romano also now that I think about it :facepalm:
Last edited by Sir Plebeian on April 7th, 2013, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karmacarroll

Post by karmacarroll » April 7th, 2013, 10:35 pm

I walked out of the Solaris (2002) and The Interpreter (2005). Well, the second one I was thrown out of, but hey, swings and roundabouts.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » April 8th, 2013, 1:47 am

"Never done it, people who do always amuse me though." Agreed. Recently I saw JLG/JLG and Shirin and several people walked out for some reason. One fell asleep for a minute or two at JLG/JLG as well. Several people fell asleep during a screening of 3 Maya Deren films even before the first film started. These people are really weird and I would like to stab them.
Top 250 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 8th, 2013, 2:00 am

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Apr 7 2013, 11:27:32 AM wrote:
mightysparks on Apr 7 2013, 07:39:19 AM wrote:
Had to look up doona. Never even heard the word.

Except ... random memory jogged ... for a sci-fi/fantasy book I read as a kid: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/034535377 ... mdp_mobile
I had to look up to see what it was called in other countries, thought there must've been tons of other names, but apparently not. I had never heard the word 'duvet' before I watched The Young Ones and it was months before I even knew what they were referring to :P

Kowry

Post by Kowry » April 8th, 2013, 2:03 am

By the way, I don't understand the "this film was so boring I fell asleep" thing. Bad/boring films don't make me sleepy, and I can start drowsing off during a good film if I happen to be tired (not that I usually watch films in that state of mind, but it has happened during some festivals and late-night maratons with a friend).
Last edited by Kowry on April 8th, 2013, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 8th, 2013, 2:05 am

I've never fallen asleep during a film either. I almost did once, but it was because I was sick and had taken some drowsy medication. My mum used to fall asleep during every movie, but I don't know why.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 8th, 2013, 2:14 am

My dad always fell asleep during films too.

When I fell asleep during CTHD, I was a kid and sleep was definitely preferable to a martial arts film.
Talking Images, the iCM forum podcast: https://open.spotify.com/show/3GhRXnb6OzOnfae2Uvkvus

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 8th, 2013, 4:35 am

rlfstr on Apr 7 2013, 10:22:50 AM wrote:Also, I contemplated watching the whole thing just to justify a check on ICM. I still ended up checking it. B)
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 8th, 2013, 4:40 am

I would never walk out of the cinema not on principle but because I go so infrequently that it's either a film I'm sure I'll like or I've gone with someone. Though even when watching at home I very rarely intentionally quit on films, less than once a year. Even if I'm not enjoying it I'll try to find something to hold on to and think about or explore in the film.

I do fall asleep during films from time to time, though it rarely has much to do with the film and is more about me being tired or hungry.

CMT

Post by CMT » April 8th, 2013, 8:03 am

I've never walked out or fell asleep at the cinema. I'm to focuesed on the film to go to sleep and I don't sleep when other people are around. It costs enough to see a movie now I wouldn't walk out even if the film is terrible.

Forrester

Post by Forrester » April 8th, 2013, 10:56 am

I never walked out of the cinema, but I was tempted to do so on two occasions. That was during Hobo with a Shotgun and The Tree of Life. Hobo with a Shotgun angered me because it was so bad, it's just people who get randomly killed, but without any humour or substance whatsoever. And this is coming from a guy who really enjoyed Machete. Hobo with a Shotgun still remains one of the worst movies I've ever seen. When the film ended, everyone in the cinema complained about how bad it was.

The Tree of Life unfortunately wasn't my cup of tea. It was so boring to watch that I almost fell asleep. The only reason why I wanted to finish watching it was because it was critically acclaimed. During the film, a lot of people walked out of it, which was kinda amusing. One guy, a few rows behind me, kept complaining how shitty it was. When he walked out, he walked past a group of youngsters. He said sarcastically "I'm sorry I have to disturb you during this very exciting movie!". Even funnier was that after he left, the group of youngsters left as well!

Limedebois

Post by Limedebois » April 8th, 2013, 11:10 am

Forrester on Apr 8 2013, 04:56:55 AM wrote:Even funnier was that after he left, the group of youngsters left as well!
It was a group of mightysparks. A curious specie who watch all kind of films without take the time to get information about a movie, then walk out saying that it was annoying. This specie of watcher learns nothing because you could have seen the same group going just to the next door to watch a Kiarostami's film. They should invent at least the moonwalk out to make it funnier.