Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1978 (Results), Red Planet: Essential Cinema (Results), Western (Jul 30th)
Challenges: Run the Actor, Travel the World, Iran and Central Asia

Worst film to win an Oscar as best picture?

Kasparius
Posts: 24613
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#41

Post by Kasparius »

Worst Foreign Wins, from the ones I saw (44 out of 65)


- Cinema Paradiso: Of all the highly acclaimed films, this might be the one I hate the most. Tornatore movies are my idea of hell.
- Belle Époque: Nearly unwatchable, one of the funniest scene in The Fighter is when Wahlberg and Adams come out of that movie and they both hated it.
- Un homme et une femme: Utter fluff, like every Lelouch film.
- Samourai I: Myamoto Musashi (not horrendous, just mediocre)
- Closely Watched Trains. I know people like this one a lot, but I really disliked it.
- War and Peace: terribly bloated film, the battle scenes are good, but that's about it.
- Mar Adentro
- Departures
- The Secret in Their Eyes
User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10902
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 7:00 am
Contact:

#42

Post by funkybusiness »

Kasparius on Mar 21 2013, 02:44:41 PM wrote:- Cinema Paradiso: Of all the highly acclaimed films, this might be the one I hate the most. Tornatore movies are my idea of hell.
THIS! Absolutely the worst I've seen by quite a bit.
Kasparius
Posts: 24613
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#43

Post by Kasparius »

funkybusiness on Mar 21 2013, 02:46:33 PM wrote:
Kasparius on Mar 21 2013, 02:44:41 PM wrote:- Cinema Paradiso: Of all the highly acclaimed films, this might be the one I hate the most. Tornatore movies are my idea of hell.
THIS! Absolutely the worst I've seen by quite a bit.
Don't ever watch The Legend of 1900, it's just as bad.
User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10902
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 7:00 am
Contact:

#44

Post by funkybusiness »

Kasparius on Mar 21 2013, 02:47:45 PM wrote:
funkybusiness on Mar 21 2013, 02:46:33 PM wrote:
Kasparius on Mar 21 2013, 02:44:41 PM wrote:- Cinema Paradiso: Of all the highly acclaimed films, this might be the one I hate the most. Tornatore movies are my idea of hell.
THIS! Absolutely the worst I've seen by quite a bit.
Don't ever watch The Legend of 1900, it's just as bad.
I wasn't planning on watching any other Tornatore movies after Cinema Paradiso. I was boiling with rage while watching that.
Kasparius
Posts: 24613
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#45

Post by Kasparius »

funkybusiness on Mar 21 2013, 02:50:00 PM wrote:
Kasparius on Mar 21 2013, 02:47:45 PM wrote:
funkybusiness on Mar 21 2013, 02:46:33 PM wrote:THIS! Absolutely the worst I've seen by quite a bit.
Don't ever watch The Legend of 1900, it's just as bad.
I wasn't planning on watching any other Tornatore movies after Cinema Paradiso. I was boiling with rage while watching that.
Same here. The worst might be the scene where he returns to the village and everybody is calling him Maestro. I wanted to vomit...
User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 12588
Joined: May 6th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#46

Post by St. Gloede »

mightysparks on Mar 21 2013, 08:06:48 AM wrote:
Chris M Turton on Mar 21 2013, 05:52:07 AM wrote:
mightysparks on Mar 21 2013, 03:01:13 AM wrote:Cimarron and Cavalcade. Patton and Hamlet are also pretty bad.
I haven't seen it but what didn't you like about Hamlet?
Everything. :P
Part of it is the laughable casting of having a woman much, much younger than Olivier play his mother, Olivier also appear extremely unfit and unbelievable in regard to the role, regardless of skills he brings forth. Just doesn't look or feel right at all. That said, I wouldn't call it directly bad. But it's certainly one of the weakest winners in my opinion.
User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10902
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 7:00 am
Contact:

#47

Post by funkybusiness »

Kasparius on Mar 21 2013, 02:51:06 PM wrote:
funkybusiness on Mar 21 2013, 02:50:00 PM wrote:
Kasparius on Mar 21 2013, 02:47:45 PM wrote:Don't ever watch The Legend of 1900, it's just as bad.
I wasn't planning on watching any other Tornatore movies after Cinema Paradiso. I was boiling with rage while watching that.
Same here. The worst might be the scene where he returns to the village and everybody is calling him Maestro. I wanted to vomit...
I would start to wonder if Cinema Paradiso was a brilliant Andy Kaufmanesque joke if not for the fact that he continued to make movies like it.
User avatar
AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12983
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#48

Post by AdamH »

Still have 25 to see but my worst foreign winner:

Mon Oncle. I really, really don't get it.

Second worst is Belle Epoque. I found it pretty annoying.
User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 12588
Joined: May 6th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#49

Post by St. Gloede »

burneyfan on Mar 21 2013, 02:21:00 PM wrote:Anyone care to hazard the worst winner of the foreign-language film Oscar?

I'd have to actually look at the list of winners, but I just saw Okuribito a few days ago, and I've been disgusted (though maybe I shouldn't be surprised) that it won in its year.

It's a good idea with perfectly adequate cast, not a bad-looking film, but...every "major problem" is solved so tidily, every person who disses the guy comes to value his work (through having someone they know die, all in the span of about six months), every "awwww" moment is given ham-handed expository set-up roughly 30 minutes in advance, like it's on a timer... It was one step up from Hallmark Channel TV movies. It was all right as pass-the-time entertainment, but worthy of winning prizes? No. (Just to be clear, before someone leaps to tell me that I just don't "get" how taboo death is in the culture -- my complaints are with the film's structure and lack of depth, not its choice of topic -- I think a great Japanese movie -- or several great ones -- could be made working with that setting or topic -- comedy or drama -- but Okuribito is just shallowwwwwwwww.)

/rant
I watched it yesterday, and I actually liked it a lot, but I agree with all your complaints and can't really see how anyone would consider it great. It's characters are just way too thin, and it could definitely be described as shallow.

Only seen 44 out of 65 BFP winners so I don't feel quite qualified, but the weakest I've seen are probably Closely Watched Trains and Black and White in Color, both "good enough" films really.
User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13912
Joined: December 29th, 2011, 7:00 am
Contact:

#50

Post by brokenface »

Kolya & Indochine spring to mind. Neither terrible just very unremarkable.
User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 12588
Joined: May 6th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#51

Post by St. Gloede »

Thorkell on Mar 21 2013, 02:23:57 PM wrote:Regarding Cimarron. I have not seen any of the other nominated films that year so I wonder if it was the best pick of the 5 nominated. None of them gets great reviews on IMDb and all of the have few votes:
East Lynne 6.9/10 with 44 votes
The Front Page 6.9/10 with 921 votes
Skippy 6.3/10 with 267 votes
Trader Horn with 6.5/10 249 votes.

And if we look at iCM then we see that none of them are on any other list there than the nomination list. Not promising. Has anyone here seen there other 4 nominated films?

But look at the films that where NOT nominated:
City Lights (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
Tabu: A Story of the South Seas (1931)
Street Scene (1931)
Safe in Hell (1931)
I shockingly haven't seen any of those either. The Front Page is the first filmed version of His Girl Friday (and Wilder's The Front Page) though. I bet it has some good qualities.

Had really forgotten the terrible line-up, and '31 might be the best year of the 30s film wise making it even worse.

Edit: And I've apparantly seen all the 8 noms from '32, that says even more about the '31 line-up.
Last edited by St. Gloede on March 21st, 2013, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EssexMutant
Posts: 208
Joined: December 28th, 2011, 7:00 am
Contact:

#52

Post by EssexMutant »

Only dislikes so far are Titanic and Terms of Endearment. I do a think a lot of stuff that wins award can be very average, although I'll happily watch the new nominees each year.
User avatar
burneyfan
Donator
Posts: 6153
Joined: June 23rd, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

#53

Post by burneyfan »

OK, now I've actually looked at the foreign list (45 / 65), and while there are definitely some unremarkable pictures (most of my least favorites already named by others), I'd say for me, it's a toss-up between Cinema Paradiso and STILL Okuribito.

(I also agree with Crinderman that Noirs et blancs en couleur is one that doesn't deserve to be on there, despite being a decent film.)
User avatar
AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12983
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#54

Post by AdamH »

On a side-note, icm is absolutely awful to use on a mobile. Was trying to see all the best picture winners but the 'show more than 50 films' button is hard to get to work. Other things make the site extremely difficult to navigate too.

So, I'll just say Crash as the worst winner.
User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 21436
Joined: October 24th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#55

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

ArthurYanthar on Mar 21 2013, 01:24:09 PM wrote:All of this talk is making me wanna watch Cimarron.
Omg Richard Dix's performance. I was even getting a Bruce Campbell kind of vibe from him at times. What a terrible film.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
sheikofhyrule
Posts: 829
Joined: June 19th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Contact:

#56

Post by sheikofhyrule »

I have seen them all and since I do have quite a few 4's, I will limit it to my 1's and 2's.

1) The Greatest Show on Earth 1/10
2) How Green Was My Valley 1/10
3) Braveheart 1/10
4) The Broadway Melody 2/10
5) Forrest Gump 2/10
6) Around the World in 80 Days 2/10
7) The French Connection 2/10

My 4's in no particular order since I do not feel like ranking them, I am surprised I have no 3's or 5's:
The Great Ziegfeld, Going My Way, An American in Paris, Titanic, Rocky, The Deer Hunter, Gandhi, Shakespeare in Love and Out of Africa.
Kasparius
Posts: 24613
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#57

Post by Kasparius »

How Green and French Connection, 1 and 2's? Yeah Sheik is now the biggest hater on the forum, Mighty can step aside.
User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13912
Joined: December 29th, 2011, 7:00 am
Contact:

#58

Post by brokenface »

2/10 for The French Connection?!
User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10902
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 7:00 am
Contact:

#59

Post by funkybusiness »

How Green Was My Valley beat out Citizen Kane at the Oscars that year, and deservedly so. :whistling: *runs and hides*
sheikofhyrule
Posts: 829
Joined: June 19th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Contact:

#60

Post by sheikofhyrule »

Thorkell on Mar 21 2013, 02:23:57 PM wrote:Regarding Cimarron. I have not seen any of the other nominated films that year so I wonder if it was the best pick of the 5 nominated. None of them gets great reviews on IMDb and all of the have few votes:
East Lynne 6.9/10 with 44 votes
The Front Page 6.9/10 with 921 votes
Skippy 6.3/10 with 267 votes
Trader Horn with 6.5/10 249 votes.

And if we look at iCM then we see that none of them are on any other list there than the nomination list. Not promising. Has anyone here seen there other 4 nominated films?

But look at the films that where NOT nominated:
City Lights (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
Tabu: A Story of the South Seas (1931)
Street Scene (1931)
Safe in Hell (1931)
I have seen all of these except East Lynne because it is only available at UCLA.

Cimarron 6/10 and the one I would still go with. I am not a huge fan of westerns and I have watched this film twice because it was a long gap between the watchings and I could not remember much of it.

Skippy 6/10, but you would really have to like kid actors and dogs because the story is about Skippy helping his friend in a shantytown help save his dog.

The Front Page 4/10 I do not remember a thing about it at this point, but I know I liked My Girl Friday better.

Trader Horn 4/10 I do not remember a lot about this particular movie, but it had to do with an African safari and I have watched a few of these from the 1930s and they all tend to blend together.
Kasparius
Posts: 24613
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#61

Post by Kasparius »

funkybusiness on Mar 21 2013, 04:06:18 PM wrote:How Green Was My Valley beat out Citizen Kane at the Oscars that year, and deservedly so. :whistling: *runs and hides*
:satstunned:
sheikofhyrule
Posts: 829
Joined: June 19th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Contact:

#62

Post by sheikofhyrule »

Kasparius on Mar 21 2013, 04:03:24 PM wrote:How Green and French Connection, 1 and 2's? Yeah Sheik is now the biggest hater on the forum, Mighty can step aside.
I am doing pretty bad for a hater since I only rated 16/86 below a 6/10.

How Green Was My Valley is partly to do with my parents loving it, making the kids watching it and all the kids hating it. At this point many years later all I remember is everything being over the top emotional in the movie.

The French Connection, I know people love it, but I really did not like it and I even tried watching it again, but did not make it halfway through because all I could think of was how much I did not like it.

Of course on the flip side, unlike many people here I love Crash (10/10) and liked Cavalcade (6/10) Cimarron (6/10).
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Posts: 11744
Joined: May 29th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#63

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

Thorkell on Mar 21 2013, 02:23:57 PM wrote:Regarding Cimarron. I have not seen any of the other nominated films that year so I wonder if it was the best pick of the 5 nominated. None of them gets great reviews on IMDb and all of the have few votes:
East Lynne 6.9/10 with 44 votes
The Front Page 6.9/10 with 921 votes
Skippy 6.3/10 with 267 votes
Trader Horn with 6.5/10 249 votes.

And if we look at iCM then we see that none of them are on any other list there than the nomination list. Not promising. Has anyone here seen there other 4 nominated films?

But look at the films that where NOT nominated:
City Lights (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
Tabu: A Story of the South Seas (1931)
Street Scene (1931)
Safe in Hell (1931)
Amazing list (of overlooked films).
Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 13460
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#64

Post by Cippenham »

sheikofhyrule on Mar 21 2013, 03:57:35 PM wrote:I have seen them all and since I do have quite a few 4's, I will limit it to my 1's and 2's.

1) The Greatest Show on Earth 1/10
2) How Green Was My Valley 1/10
3) Braveheart 1/10
4) The Broadway Melody 2/10
5) Forrest Gump 2/10
6) Around the World in 80 Days 2/10
7) The French Connection 2/10

My 4's in no particular order since I do not feel like ranking them, I am surprised I have no 3's or 5's:
The Great Ziegfeld, Going My Way, An American in Paris, Titanic, Rocky, The Deer Hunter, Gandhi, Shakespeare in Love and Out of Africa.
Braveheart is of course the worst, and Forrest Gump the best of those listed here,,Forrest Gump is of course a great film.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:
User avatar
HVM
Posts: 3699
Joined: July 9th, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Republic of Czechia
Contact:

#65

Post by HVM »

Cippenham on Mar 21 2013, 04:52:58 PM wrote:
sheikofhyrule on Mar 21 2013, 03:57:35 PM wrote:I have seen them all and since I do have quite a few 4's, I will limit it to my 1's and 2's.

1) The Greatest Show on Earth 1/10
2) How Green Was My Valley 1/10
3) Braveheart 1/10
4) The Broadway Melody 2/10
5) Forrest Gump 2/10
6) Around the World in 80 Days 2/10
7) The French Connection 2/10

My 4's in no particular order since I do not feel like ranking them, I am surprised I have no 3's or 5's:
The Great Ziegfeld, Going My Way, An American in Paris, Titanic, Rocky, The Deer Hunter, Gandhi, Shakespeare in Love and Out of Africa.
Braveheart is of course the worst, and Forrest Gump the best of those listed here,,Forrest Gump is of course a great film.
Church.
1918 - 100 - 2018
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10516
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#66

Post by Knaldskalle »

VincentPrice on Mar 21 2013, 12:32:31 PM wrote:Oh god, I forgot to include Gump, I haaaaate that stupid stupid stupid movie. (except Sinise, he is great)
This. By far the worst I've seen.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
User avatar
kingink
Posts: 2707
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#67

Post by kingink »

From the whole foreign award winning list the only film I dislike is Crouching tiger. I have rated some films like Belle Époque with a 6 but I don't dislike them. I only dislike Crouching tiger. Have I mentioned that I dislike Crouching tiger? I'm not sure I have. I dislike it.



Edit: Last year I watched some Forrest Gump fragments on TV and I was shocked! It seemed really bad, so I think that probably if I find the courage to watch again I'll hate it but I won't because I love cinema and I don't want to ruin my eyes
Last edited by kingink on March 21st, 2013, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 26013
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#68

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

intothewild on Mar 21 2013, 03:10:58 PM wrote:Still have 25 to see but my worst foreign winner:

Mon Oncle. I really, really don't get it.

Second worst is Belle Epoque. I found it pretty annoying.
I hate Mon Oncle and Amarcord and Babbete's Feast, and dislike some others like the aforementioned Cinema Paradiso, but none of those are worse winners than Volver a empezar. There are still a bunch I haven't seen, but I have a hard time believing any of them are worse than Volver a empezar.
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Posts: 11744
Joined: May 29th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#69

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

Kasparius on Mar 21 2013, 02:44:41 PM wrote:- Samourai I: Myamoto Musashi (not horrendous, just mediocre)
Yes.
Kasparius
Posts: 24613
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#70

Post by Kasparius »

So Mann's Cimarron was definitely better, but not a very good film. Some of the scenes were really impressive and really brilliantly directed, but the film crumbles once Yancey leaves the first time around. The first part was really quite good though. I think many of the issues I have with the original film come from the source material itself, because I had a lot of the same ones here. Maria Schell is fantastic though, I really love her. She was beyond great in Gervaise. Glenn Ford was much better than Baxter.
Last edited by Kasparius on March 22nd, 2013, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
frbrown
Posts: 6683
Joined: November 1st, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#71

Post by frbrown »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Mar 21 2013, 05:51:44 PM wrote:
Kasparius on Mar 21 2013, 02:44:41 PM wrote:- Samourai I: Myamoto Musashi (not horrendous, just mediocre)
Yes.
I like it a lot, and the two sequels as well.
Image
CMT
Posts: 1386
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 7:00 am
Contact:

#72

Post by CMT »

sheikofhyrule on Mar 21 2013, 04:07:11 PM wrote:Skippy 6/10, but you would really have to like kid actors and dogs because the story is about Skippy helping his friend in a shantytown help save his dog.
I thought it was about a kangaroo.
User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31552
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#73

Post by mightysparks »

burneyfan on Mar 21 2013, 02:21:00 PM wrote:Anyone care to hazard the worst winner of the foreign-language film Oscar?
I've finished the list and the worst one was Mon Oncle.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

Image
Kasparius
Posts: 24613
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#74

Post by Kasparius »

Anybody who thinks Mon oncle is the worst film on that list needs to have their heads examined. (All offense caused by this sentence is deeply calculated.)
User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 21436
Joined: October 24th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#75

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

I've only seen 26 films from it, but here are my dislikes:

1. Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (3/10)
2. La strada (4/10)
3. Karakter (4/10)
4. Le notti di Cabiria (4/10)

Mon oncle isn't that good, I gave that 5/10 but it's certainly not a bad film.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
User avatar
AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12983
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#76

Post by AdamH »

Mon Oncle is the worst one.

I should probably avoid foreign comedies.
Last edited by AdamH on March 22nd, 2013, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31552
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#77

Post by mightysparks »

It reminds me of those kinds of comedies where people walk into a pole 300 times and fall over 300 times and each time is meant to be hilarious. I found it painful.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

Image
User avatar
AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12983
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#78

Post by AdamH »

Sums up my thoughts. I don't get what I'm missing from these comedies.

Others like the eastern euro ones are painful too but some people love them. Can't understand it.

Not sure rewatches would help. Just can't understand how people laugh at these films. I'm not missing the jokes either.

I might do an intothewild's day of comedy pain poll and give them a second chance.
Last edited by AdamH on March 22nd, 2013, 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kasparius
Posts: 24613
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#79

Post by Kasparius »

This proves once again that comedies is the most problematic genre when it comes to any kind of consensus. But even if people don't find Mon oncle funny, I don't see how it's possible to ignore his inventive mise en scène and sense of composition. This alone places it high and above a good third of the list.
User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31552
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#80

Post by mightysparks »

It looks nice, but that's not enough for me to enjoy a film. Especially if at the same time it's causing me pain :P But it's what saves it from getting a 1 or 2.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

Image
Post Reply