Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Found a good deal on a movie?

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Since I had been fairly responsible this year, I got 24 titles from Target's most recent B2G1 sale. Too lazy to type out the list, but I got Criterions, Kino, Shout, 4K UHD ... all kinds of fun stuff.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

The BFI blu-ray set "Early Women Filmmakers" is available for 14 GBP on Amazon.co.uk right now! If you buy it from the US it'll be 11.66 GBP plus 3.08 GBP shipping, so 14.75 GBP or around $20.

That's a four disc set with a total of 10 hours of women filmmakers. It's not entirely the same as Flicker Alley's (US) set, but it's very similar. The Flicker Alley set is around $60.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa »

50% off Criterion sale.
Mothravka

Post by Mothravka »

Too bad they still don't ship to Europe.
Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa »

Hulu is having a Black Friday sale. $1.99 a month for 12 months. Unfortunately, it's only for the ad-supported plan (which is $5.99 a month after the first year is over). Peacock is also having a Black Friday sale. Unfortunately, it's only $10 buck off their regular ad-supported Premium price (Black Friday sale price: $39.99 a year, original price: $49.99).

I would totally subscribe to Hulu just for that price if it wasn't for the ads and the fact that I'm already subscribed to a bunch of other streaming services.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Warner Archive 4 for $44 sale. The DVDs are MOD, so you probably don't want those, but there are a ton of Blu-Rays, which are all pressed to disc just like every other quality Blu. The kicker is that you have to search through 3000 titles to find the Blus. It took me over an hour.

https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warn ... -ascending

Arrow has a sale going until Dec. 11.

https://arrowfilms.com/shop/christmas-sale-2020?pi=1
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

kongs_speech wrote: November 27th, 2020, 8:39 pm Warner Archive 4 for $44 sale. The DVDs are MOD, so you probably don't want those, but there are a ton of Blu-Rays, which are all pressed to disc just like every other quality Blu. The kicker is that you have to search through 3000 titles to find the Blus. It took me over an hour.

https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warn ... -ascending

Arrow has a sale going until Dec. 11.

https://arrowfilms.com/shop/christmas-sale-2020?pi=1
May labels are having some kind of Black Friday/End of the year sale.
F.e. https://shop.bfi.org.uk/dvd-blu-ray/black-friday.html; with f.e. The Werner Herzog Collection for only £24.99.
https://101-films-store.myshopify.com/c ... lack-label
Second Sight: https://patriotfilms.co.uk/shop

Several Criterion boxes, like the Godzilla, Fellini and Demy ones are also very cheap on various sites like Amazon and zavvi.(At zavvi with a groupon you can get it even cheaper.)

Since this is (most probably) the last month as a Dutch that I can order from the UK before having to pay VAT, processing fees and possible import duties (depending on the amount spent) my wallet is getting completely depleted ;)
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Criterion flash sale starts tomorrow at 12pm EST. 50% off all in-stock titles.
ImageImageImageImage

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Knaldskalle wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 12:43 am Criterion flash sale starts tomorrow at 12pm EST. 50% off all in-stock titles.
Did you get an email about it? I’m subscribed but didn’t get any notification for some reason.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 2:41 am
Knaldskalle wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 12:43 am Criterion flash sale starts tomorrow at 12pm EST. 50% off all in-stock titles.
Did you get an email about it? I’m subscribed but didn’t get any notification for some reason.
I didn't, but others posted their emails.
ImageImageImageImage

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Knaldskalle wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 4:01 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 2:41 am
I didn't, but others posted their emails.
Gotcha - good to know. I’ll be getting Smooth Talk.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thanks for the headsup about Criterion - I think I'll actually bite the bullet and make my first purchase and start building up a collection.

As complete newbie to physical copies of films (I own one DVD, gifted to me at least 15 years ago), I'm painfully oblivious to the differences between DVD and BluRay. Some titles are only available in one, but some are available in both. Given the scant price difference with the sale, should I just get BluRay by default, and then worry about finding a player later? Right now I only have a laptop with an external DVD drive - no Blu Ray player, no tv, or anything else. I do plan to get a decent television once I get my own place, but it hasn't been a need/priority thus far.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Fergenaprido wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 4:52 am Thanks for the headsup about Criterion - I think I'll actually bite the bullet and make my first purchase and start building up a collection.

As complete newbie to physical copies of films (I own one DVD, gifted to me at least 15 years ago), I'm painfully oblivious to the differences between DVD and BluRay. Some titles are only available in one, but some are available in both. Given the scant price difference with the sale, should I just get BluRay by default, and then worry about finding a player later? Right now I only have a laptop with an external DVD drive - no Blu Ray player, no tv, or anything else. I do plan to get a decent television once I get my own place, but it hasn't been a need/priority thus far.
I don't have the best eyes, but to me blu-ray is clearly my preferred format (I don't have 4K anything, so no UHD for me). There's an added level of background detail ("clarity") in the image that I find very appealing, plus often an increased level of image stability that is more a result of modern digital restoration that we didn't see on old DVD releases. My kids notice that clarity on many of our Disney movies when they accidentally put in the DVD instead of the blu-ray.

You can get external blu-ray drives (my wife has one) so if your laptop has a decent enough screen, you can take advantage of it before you buy a TV. However, I'm not sure if you'll be able to hook up the external drive to a TV (my wife's drive only has two USB connectors, no HDMI) so you may want to invest that money in a standalone blu-ray. And if you're going to start a collection, go with a region-free blu-ray player, that'll enable you to buy European releases as well as North American ones. UK releases are generally cheaper than US releases, so the extra you pay for the player will pay itself off in time (plus, European releases are often as good or better than US releases).

- Oh and is this a good time to mention that Criterion also releases some of their blu-rays in the UK and they're sometimes cheaper than their US counterparts as well? They have the ugly UK ratings logos on the cover and are locked to Region B (Europe), but are otherwise identical to their US cousins. Here's a blu-ay.com forum thread that lists all their UK releases, in case you want to purchase those from the UK instead. There hasn't been much happening in the lat year due to covid, but hopefully things will return to "normal" soon. YMMV.
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

The sale is live. I had some problems getting to the checkout page (getting an database error), but after a few attempts it loaded and I checked out.

Got "The Great Dictator", "Lonesome", "The Phantom Carriage" and "Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion".
ImageImageImageImage

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Yeah I also went on the Criterion site right at the start of the sale and had some website issues for a few minutes, but was eventually able to get through to make my order. I ordered Smooth Talk (which just came out today), and the Bruce Lee box set.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thanks Knalds. My Mac laptop is 13-inch, so I'm not sure I would see a difference on this screen, but good tip about the specs of getting a player... I would definitely get one with HDMI capabilities (though I suppose some TVs come with USB ports these days).

Also, I had no idea Criterion was American and MoC was British.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Knaldskalle wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 5:31 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 4:52 am Thanks for the headsup about Criterion - I think I'll actually bite the bullet and make my first purchase and start building up a collection.

I don't have the best eyes, but to me blu-ray is clearly my preferred format (I don't have 4K anything, so no UHD for me). There's an added level of background detail ("clarity") in the image that I find very appealing, plus often an increased level of image stability that is more a result of modern digital restoration that we didn't see on old DVD releases. My kids notice that clarity on many of our Disney movies when they accidentally put in the DVD instead of the blu-ray.

You can get external blu-ray drives (my wife has one) so if your laptop has a decent enough screen, you can take advantage of it before you buy a TV. However, I'm not sure if you'll be able to hook up the external drive to a TV (my wife's drive only has two USB connectors, no HDMI) so you may want to invest that money in a standalone blu-ray. And if you're going to start a collection, go with a region-free blu-ray player, that'll enable you to buy European releases as well as North American ones. UK releases are generally cheaper than US releases, so the extra you pay for the player will pay itself off in time (plus, European releases are often as good or better than US releases).

- Oh and is this a good time to mention that Criterion also releases some of their blu-rays in the UK and they're sometimes cheaper than their US counterparts as well? They have the ugly UK ratings logos on the cover and are locked to Region B (Europe), but are otherwise identical to their US cousins. Here's a blu-ay.com forum thread that lists all their UK releases, in case you want to purchase those from the UK instead. There hasn't been much happening in the lat year due to covid, but hopefully things will return to "normal" soon. YMMV.
I second Knalsds. Def go for a blu-ray player. If you really want to go all out you can also go for a UDH one, which is even better in sharpness. But also more expensive in player and discs. And I would also recom going for a region-free one if you really want to built a collection and enjoy all kind of movies that don't have/get an American bluray release. Especially since you work in other countries too at times, don't you? Than it would be easier to take your blu-ray player with you when moving and watch movies there too.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I have for the past decade, yes, but I'm back in Canada now and intend to stay here for the foreseeable future.

I'll get the BluRay disks/sets for now then, and worry about finding a player later. I think my mom has one I can use for the time being, and I doubt she ever uses it.

I'm just getting two items to start: Agnes Varga boxset and Come and See. I'm at the checkout stage, and there's an option for Canadians to buy from Unobstructed View instead to avoid certain customs fees. In queue for that. Has anyone here ever bought through them? They only offer 45% discount instead of 50%, but I think the difference will be negligible, and may be cheaper if I don't have to worry about customs and can fully track my package.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Changed my mind. They don't have the Come and See BR in stock at the Canadian site, and that's the one I want most of all. Given the uncertainty about customs and shipping from the US, I'll just wait until the next sale. Should give me enough time to figure it all out and get the necessary equipment to be able to enjoy it... it's just going to sit on a shelf collecting dust once it arrives anyway, so might as well wait. I did create an account, so hopefully I'll be notified the next time there is a flash sale.

How often do they occur? Once a year, or just randomly?
Timec

Post by Timec »

Fergenaprido wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:17 pmHow often do they occur? Once a year, or just randomly?
They’ve been pretty consistent about having two a year - one in February and one in October.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Fergenaprido wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:17 pm Changed my mind. They don't have the Come and See BR in stock at the Canadian site, and that's the one I want most of all. Given the uncertainty about customs and shipping from the US, I'll just wait until the next sale. Should give me enough time to figure it all out and get the necessary equipment to be able to enjoy it... it's just going to sit on a shelf collecting dust once it arrives anyway, so might as well wait. I did create an account, so hopefully I'll be notified the next time there is a flash sale.

How often do they occur? Once a year, or just randomly?
Criterion itself has the two flash sales Timec mentioned and then Barnes & Noble has two roughly month-long sales at 50% in July and November. I know B&N used to sell to Canada, but I don't know if they do that any longer (they stopped selling to Europe after GDPR came into effect). The nice bit about the Criterion flash sale is that you get a(n electronic) $50 gift card for ever $500 you spend, so it's in effect an extra 10% off.
ImageImageImageImage