Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2007 (Results), 2017 awards (Dec 21st), 1955 (Dec 27th), Directors (Dec 31st), Underrated (Jan 3rd), Knockout competition (Round 5)
Challenges: Documentary, Travel the World, Italy
Film of the Week: Le septième juré, December nominations (Dec 27th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

Last Movie Seen

Tim2460

Re: Last Movie Seen

Post by Tim2460 » September 10th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Just rewatched "Nuit et Brouillard" with my daughter and .... it was even more impressive than the last time i saw it 35 years ago !

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 10th, 2019, 7:02 pm

I just rewatched Jumanji (the Robin Williams version of course) with my daughters. Not quite the same, but they are a lot younger than your daughter.
They thought it was pretty scary, but also had lots of fun with it.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » September 10th, 2019, 7:09 pm

RBG wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 12:19 pm
pyaasa is much better than sholay
It certainly sounds more like my sort of movie, though I did enjoy Sholay more than expected. Just a comfortable samurai movie in disguise.

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » September 11th, 2019, 6:44 am

joachimt wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 7:02 pm
I just rewatched Jumanji (the Robin Williams version of course) with my daughters. Not quite the same, but they are a lot younger than your daughter.
They thought it was pretty scary, but also had lots of fun with it.
They have changed the way they teach history here in france, so that the WWII is teach @14 or 15 years old ?? I studied it at least 2 or 3 full years older...
To me you can't teach WWII without showing certain films as a document...

2 weekends ago we watched Jurrasic Park together and she was surprised on one of the Jump Scare hehe.
I teached her the obvious jump scare techniques and she'll be more prepared next time ,)

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » September 11th, 2019, 9:55 pm

http://rarefilmm.com/2018/11/diabel-1972

Great! Murder and madness. Adding this to my <400 list. Somehow not a check!

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » September 12th, 2019, 9:54 am

Last Movies seen... a kind of "Twilight" Movies Marathon with My daughter and her teens Friends...

Worst is that ... there is still one last to watch maybe this weekend ;)

Best is ... that helps my ranking on the Box Office List !

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » September 14th, 2019, 3:17 pm

I saw the Tarantino Film, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

It is very long, 2 hours and 40, but I didn't mind that. I was really hoping Tarantino had matured, and for the first 2 hours it kind of appeared that he had. There is some great material about acting and the studio system, and you really get inside the characters. I felt Rick Dalton was particularly well realised, as was Margot Robbie's portrayal of Sharon Tate. Great empathetic stuff.

If you go into the movie without knowing about the Manson family and Sharon Tate, as the guy who went with me did not, you can miss a lot of the poignancy of the movie. So read up on wiki if you don't.

Two things made me uncomfortable about the movie. At the end of the day he had to make it into a revenge fantasy, like several of his other movies. He doesn't seem to be able to escape from himself, like the Coen Bros probably have managed to do. The other was the stuff about underage eroticism, which is likely an oblique comment on Polanski's escapades after his tragedy.

Well done to Damian Lewis for his cameo as Steve McQueen.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » September 15th, 2019, 2:47 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 3:17 pm

There is some great material about acting and the studio system
And the only payoff/resolution to all that is
SpoilerShow
woo woo, Dalton acts well in one TV-western scene and feels validated.

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » September 15th, 2019, 3:11 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
At the end of the day he had to make it into a revenge fantasy,
I personally felt - as someone who is not generally a big fan of Tarantino - that this was the one film that, thematically, actually made sense to depict a "revenge fantasy". If you're willing to give QT some credit as a writer (understandable if not), the ending is actually fairly powerful (in a sad and disturbing way) and layered, especially when looked at in the context of today's world. If you're not, it'll likely seem like more of the same nonsense, which is a take I can respect, but definitely wouldn't agree with. It sounds crazy saying it but I really think it's one of my favorite films of the decade.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » September 15th, 2019, 8:17 am

Ebbywebby wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 2:47 am
matthewscott8 wrote:

There is some great material about acting and the studio system
And the only payoff/resolution to all that is
SpoilerShow
woo woo, Dalton acts well in one TV-western scene and feels validated.
That's life though, small victories!

Coryn

Post by Coryn » September 19th, 2019, 6:43 am

Halfway through Green Book and gosh how could this win best picture?

It's so obvious that this is not the best film made in 2018 but just some political statement. It's insanely predictable, the script is dull, acting is even sub-par. Why would you make one guy talk like the queen of England and the other like he just came from a rap battle.

What is the point they are trying to bring even? The black guy saying he has never had chicken before? Are they trying to show that black people can be cultured as well? If the director really thinks Mandela never ate chicken in his life then I'm the pope.

There are so many movies which bring racism and cultural differences really well but this is just soooo bad.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » September 20th, 2019, 12:09 am

Coryn wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 6:43 am

It's so obvious that this is not the best film made in 2018 but just some political statement. It's insanely predictable, the script is dull, acting is even sub-par. Why would you make one guy talk like the queen of England and the other like he just came from a rap battle.

What is the point they are trying to bring even? The black guy saying he has never had chicken before? Are they trying to show that black people can be cultured as well? If the director really thinks Mandela never ate chicken in his life then I'm the pope.

There are so many movies which bring racism and cultural differences really well but this is just soooo bad.
I just watched that the other day too. I guess they address what you're talking about in that rain scene.

It reminded me of Crash in a lot of ways, but actually better. The racism observations and "learning moments" are really obvious and heavy-handed, but I don't know. Given the world, maybe people need to be reminded that racist is bad in an obvious way.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » September 20th, 2019, 10:22 am

Kublai Khan wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 12:09 am
Coryn wrote:

I just watched that the other day too. I guess they address what you're talking about in that rain scene.

It reminded me of Crash in a lot of ways, but actually better. The racism observations and "learning moments" are really obvious and heavy-handed, but I don't know. Given the world, maybe people need to be reminded that racist is bad in an obvious way.
All I got from it was: black good, white bad, Italian OK.

Worst Oscar winner I've seen. No problem with addressing racism in movies as it's an effective way but here they just took one uncommon thing (black pianist, white driver) and put them through all obvious stereotypes.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » September 20th, 2019, 5:22 pm

I mean, I'm not disagreeing that it's a weak Oscar winner. But the message wasn't "black good, white bad, Italian OK", it was "racism bad".

Tony Lip started as pretty racist (would rather throw away a glass used by a black man), then gradually finds out that their differences are more cultural then racial, then learns that people aren't so different after all and accepts Don Shirley at his table.

There is personal growth, it's just cheesy and unrealistic.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » September 20th, 2019, 5:45 pm

I just can't believe Roma and The Favourite died for this

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » September 20th, 2019, 5:51 pm

At some point in my young life, I realized that the Academy Awards were not about awarding merit in cinema but rather about industry self-promotion. I noticed this especially when I saw so many bad or mediocre movies win big awards. And that's when I stopped paying attention to the whole thing. I think the only real reason to watch it is if you're interested in celebrity culture, and there's nothing wrong with that.

So yes, undeserving movies get acclaim. And that's stupid. Why does that surprise people?

jal90

Post by jal90 » September 21st, 2019, 1:34 am

Coryn wrote:

I think Green book is very enjoyable to some basic level. I'd say the acting is pretty good, and emotionally there are a few nice and hard-hitting moments, and heck, you can have fun at the basic structure of two completely different men bonding in a road trip. But as a story about racism it is clumsy and indulging to a point it may cause more harm than good. A weak Oscar winner indeed, a superficial feel-good movie that instead of shaking consciences it feels fine with just redeeming them.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » September 23rd, 2019, 12:57 pm

RedHawk10 wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 3:11 am
matthewscott8 wrote:
I personally felt - as someone who is not generally a big fan of Tarantino - that this was the one film that, thematically, actually made sense to depict a "revenge fantasy". If you're willing to give QT some credit as a writer (understandable if not), the ending is actually fairly powerful (in a sad and disturbing way) and layered, especially when looked at in the context of today's world. If you're not, it'll likely seem like more of the same nonsense, which is a take I can respect, but definitely wouldn't agree with. It sounds crazy saying it but I really think it's one of my favorite films of the decade.
He's already done the rewriting history revenge fantasy 3 times that I know of and it's hard at that point for me to hand out a rosette for original thinking, particularly when I actually hate that motif. At least in this movie it's not pre-meditated by the characters, this time it's just Tarantino's violent fantasy. I don't know if he's doing it because he's super-conservative, or whether he likes violence but tries to find a way of doing it so that the audience doesn't feel sickened. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by giving him credit as a writer. The major thing he brought to the movies was introducing characters who spoke like consumers, which given the US is a consumerist society, was pretty damned overdue. Also he is able to use suspense in a way that many others seem like the can't be bothered to.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » September 23rd, 2019, 1:29 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 12:57 pm
RedHawk10 wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 3:11 am
matthewscott8 wrote:
He's already done the rewriting history revenge fantasy 3 times that I know of and it's hard at that point for me to hand out a rosette for original thinking, particularly when I actually hate that motif. At least in this movie it's not pre-meditated by the characters, this time it's just Tarantino's violent fantasy. I don't know if he's doing it because he's super-conservative, or whether he likes violence but tries to find a way of doing it so that the audience doesn't feel sickened. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by giving him credit as a writer. The major thing he brought to the movies was introducing characters who spoke like consumers, which given the US is a consumerist society, was pretty damned overdue. Also he is able to use suspense in a way that many others seem like the can't be bothered to.
Couldn't agree more about Tarantino.

When I saw Pulp Fiction the year it came out, I thought he was one of the coolest new filmmakers to come onto the scene with his snappy wit, colors, and daring, revisionist take on the crime genre.

He has gone steadily downhill since then in his efforts to elevate trashy, banal "pulp fictions" into more sophisticated artsy entertainments, but the bottom line is that one can only do so much with the source material he's enamored with, and what once seemed fresh, surprising, and inventive has really become tiresome and predictable in its perpetuation of the same violent juvenile fantasies. The last of his movies I got through in its entirety was Kill Bill 2, and I think I mostly stayed with that one because I had already invested time in the first part, and wanted to see what he might come up with at the end.

Got about 20 minutes into Django, and about 10 into Hateful 8, and I'm not sure I'll see another unless a strange set of circumstances bring that about.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » September 23rd, 2019, 3:34 pm

I liked Ad Astra a lot more than audiences in general did (has a tipped over popcorn on RT). I don't know if it's one of those where it helps to have a similar experience to the protagonist. Certainly I've never met anyone who can appreciate Lars von Trier's Melancholia who hasn't suffered from melancholic depression. If you had a great relationship with your dad, what notes within you are going to chime here, you might appreciate the sci fi trappings, but the rest will just look dumb? As is often the case with sci-fi movies some eminently plausible events are described as impossible by unresearching reviewers.

Some have compared it to Apocalypse Now, I think the comparison is more structural than anything else. The explicit homage to me is the "Never get out of the boat" piece. With some irony, I note that those accusing it of unoriginality because of this probably aren't aware of the many motifs Apocalypse Now acquired from Aguirre, The Wrath of God. There is no problem with appropriation, it's more about how you do it. I doubt many people would demand Ridley Scott hung after watching "Them!".

dr0id

Post by dr0id » September 25th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Dial 1119

I like watching noirs as I go to sleep. This one was a hostage film and makes good use of a minimal set for tension and the lead actor was fairly convincing as an escape from an asylum.

6/10

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 25th, 2019, 6:47 pm

dr0id wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 6:37 pm
Dial 1119

I like watching noirs as I go to sleep. This one was a hostage film and makes good use of a minimal set for tension and the lead actor was fairly convincing as an escape from an asylum.

6/10
Nice! I haven't seen that one, but welcome to the forum!

dr0id

Post by dr0id » September 25th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Thanks! I've just started watching Follow Me Quietly tonight. I'm not the greatest cinephile going but do love to stick a noir on as I go to sleep. Hope this one will be good.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 25th, 2019, 7:01 pm

dr0id wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 6:55 pm
Thanks! I've just started watching Follow Me Quietly tonight. I'm not the greatest cinephile going but do love to stick a noir on as I go to sleep. Hope this one will be good.
Boy are you going to love November when we run our Noir challenge... B)

dr0id

Post by dr0id » September 25th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Got to love Noirvember! Glad to see there's a challenge running for it. Your right I'll enjoy that! Good way for me to get involved in the forum.

Rogan77

Post by Rogan77 » September 26th, 2019, 12:28 pm

IT Chapter 2

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » September 26th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Climax (2018) still thinking about it. Might rewatch a couple of parts when I get home... better than Love imho, but not as good as Irreversible or I Stand Alone.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » September 26th, 2019, 7:08 pm

Yeah, I wanted to like Climax more than I did. It felt to me like a low-budget, low-concept potboiler to fill the gap while Noe prepares something more elaborate.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 26th, 2019, 7:15 pm

I liked Climax a lot, an immersive experience in the cinema for me. It looks like Noe just put out a short feature called Lux Aeterna, seems like a minor work though.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » September 27th, 2019, 12:13 pm

My favorite part of Climax was the dancing circle filmed from above. I also liked some of the camera angles Noe used; those angles seemed to produce some interesting and somewhat abstract images that worked with the theme of the film.
Lux Aeterna seems interesting, partly because of the two leads involved. If that shows up on streaming or something I'll watch it, but it does seem more minor as far as Noe's overall filmography goes.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » October 8th, 2019, 7:47 pm

As of last night, I think I may be the only American who has seen the original Italian "Scent of a Woman" but not the Al Pacino remake. :)

Great lead performance, but it turned more and more cringeably sexist as it went on. Empty-headed tramps craving the validation of a man, just laughing and loving it every time a much older man playfully grabs their tits or ass.... Bleh.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 9th, 2019, 1:46 am

Watched Sholay last night - I hadn't watched a movie in a couple of weeks, or even any TV since September 30th, just before my mom got sick, and I was just in the mood for something both mindless and long. Bollywood to the rescue! It wasn't good - I don't know if I expected it to be - but it wasn't terrible either. Music was OK, and there isn't really that much of it (I wouldn't call it a musical), the photography and lush color are nice, the acting was OK, only the way-drawn-out melodramatic Once Upon a Time in the West storyline was problematic, but that's enough to keep it just...tolerable. I'm not nearly as much a downer on Bollywood as many people, but this was just 3 1/2 hours of dull for the most part.

RBG

Post by RBG » October 9th, 2019, 2:18 am

yay oldale watched a movie!! i watched my neighbors the yamadas (1999) between this and pom poko i think takahata is my favorite anime director

yamada tango
Last edited by RBG on October 9th, 2019, 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 9th, 2019, 2:20 am

RBG wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 2:18 am
yay oldale watched a movie!!
One you've seen I'm guessing, you being more Bollywood-friendly than most here? Plus it's on 13 OFFICIAL LISTS SO IT MUST BE FUCKING AWESOME

RBG

Post by RBG » October 9th, 2019, 2:21 am

LOL yeah sholay is dumb and ridiculous, i think it's popularity is due to amitabh (a huge star) in a curry western

i'll never forget this scene. it's great to have you back; you're one of my fave people here :circle:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 9th, 2019, 6:32 am

It is absolutely dreadful in my opinion. Incompetent trash. The kind that makes you want to rip out your hair while wondering how the filmmakers and actors could just be that god-awful. And asking why Thor, Odin, Hel [insert Norse or if you are so inclined Hindu deity] does it not end?!!!

But I'm glad it made you feel better. :hug:

Ally Theater

Post by Ally Theater » October 11th, 2019, 11:05 pm

I was on the fence about seeing Joker at the cinema but this article has convinced me to go and check it out:

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/neoli ... -of-joker/
Last edited by Ally Theater on October 12th, 2019, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

RBG

Post by RBG » October 11th, 2019, 11:07 pm

i'm enjoying the breaking bad movie. i think this was the last series i actually finished. it didn't necessarily need to be made but i'm glad to find out what happened to jesse, imo the only character with a soul on the show. better than the deadwood movie (which i also enjoyed)

zero desire to see joker or any other superhero films. call me a snob but i'm with marty

https://screenrant.com/martin-scorsese- ... ot-cinema/
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Ally Theater

Post by Ally Theater » October 11th, 2019, 11:12 pm

Joker isn't a superhero movie.
Last edited by Ally Theater on October 12th, 2019, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

RBG

Post by RBG » October 11th, 2019, 11:15 pm

sadly i probably wouldn't be able to help comparing it to scorsese masterpieces, taxi driver and king of comedy

scorsese was literally the director that made me get serious about films and was the obvious inspiration here. also the joker director's comments about PC culture etc :yucky:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS