Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 18th), 1954 awards (Jun 22nd), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: Hands on a Hardbody: The Documentary, July nominations (Jun 28th)

Documentaries

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11913
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

Documentaries

#1

Post by Cippenham » November 10th, 2011, 10:34 am

I think the IMDB Documentary list is too obscure generally and contains music films really so I have not really been trying to complete it.

I found a Website called topdocumentaryfilms.com which lists some decent documentaries including some you can watch free online, there is one on the Greek debt crisis, Debtocracy, which is very topical for example.

Perhaps once ICM 2.0 is started there will be some more decent documentary lists.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 12994
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#2

Post by bal3x » November 10th, 2011, 12:53 pm


User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9468
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#3

Post by Knaldskalle » November 11th, 2011, 5:57 am

Last edited by Knaldskalle on November 11th, 2011, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 10720
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#4

Post by mjf314 » November 11th, 2011, 6:11 am

The BFI Screen Guides list is pretty good: http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?pid=321399

You can find more documentary lists on my spreadsheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... RMWc&gid=0

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5599
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#5

Post by maxwelldeux » April 22nd, 2018, 7:01 am

Not to revive a dead thread, but I was looking for a documentary lounge, so I'll use this...

Andre the Giant (2018) - I watched this tonight because I love Andre the Giant and because I love The Princess Bride (I'm not sure which influences the other, but that's a separate issue). And while I knew most of what was presented in the documentary from various sources, the part I really liked was hearing how he was as a person - it was the area in which I was least familiar, and I was happy to hear stories about who Andre was as a person. I thought this film did a great job at building up the suspense about his career, and even though I knew how it turned out, the journey was enjoyable and explicated a lot of media history in the US. Good watch, and I'm glad I saw it.

Coco LaBerge
Posts: 873
Joined: Jan 16, 2016
Contact:

#6

Post by Coco LaBerge » April 22nd, 2018, 10:23 am

maxwelldeux on Apr 22 2018, 01:01:11 AM wrote:Not to revive a dead thread, but I was looking for a documentary lounge, so I'll use this...

Andre the Giant (2018) - I watched this tonight because I love Andre the Giant and because I love The Princess Bride (I'm not sure which influences the other, but that's a separate issue). And while I knew most of what was presented in the documentary from various sources, the part I really liked was hearing how he was as a person - it was the area in which I was least familiar, and I was happy to hear stories about who Andre was as a person. I thought this film did a great job at building up the suspense about his career, and even though I knew how it turned out, the journey was enjoyable and explicated a lot of media history in the US. Good watch, and I'm glad I saw it.
I think I'll check that out! It's a good idea to have a thread to discuss docs and get recommendations. I often prefer them to typical films.

The Work (2017) maybe was my favourite from last year.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5599
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#7

Post by maxwelldeux » April 22nd, 2018, 6:14 pm

I'll have to find that one - I tend to really like social commentary documentaries...

Currently working on some of the Wiseman filmography, notably those from the 1970s that also are on the TSPDT list. Kanopy is a hell of a drug...

User avatar
blueboybob
Donator
Posts: 1162
Joined: Mar 11, 2013
Location: DC
Contact:

#8

Post by blueboybob » April 22nd, 2018, 7:36 pm

FUCK U23D!!!!!

I want to check it (and not rate it on IMDB obviously) just to make it fucking go away.

Maybe ill creat 100 IMDB accounts and each give it a 1

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5599
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#9

Post by maxwelldeux » April 22nd, 2018, 8:12 pm

blueboybob on Apr 22 2018, 01:36:47 PM wrote:FUCK U23D!!!!!

I want to check it (and not rate it on IMDB obviously) just to make it fucking go away.

Maybe ill creat 100 IMDB accounts and each give it a 1
I will support this. :thumbsup:

I'm just annoyed that the IMDB doc list is so filled with music. 12/50 are tagged with "music", and most of those just look like "we rolled cameras during a tour".

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22790
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#10

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 22nd, 2018, 8:44 pm

maxwelldeux on Apr 22 2018, 02:12:14 PM wrote:
blueboybob on Apr 22 2018, 01:36:47 PM wrote:FUCK U23D!!!!!

I want to check it (and not rate it on IMDB obviously) just to make it fucking go away.

Maybe ill creat 100 IMDB accounts and each give it a 1
I will support this. :thumbsup:

I'm just annoyed that the IMDB doc list is so filled with music. 12/50 are tagged with "music", and most of those just look like "we rolled cameras during a tour".
Only six can be described that way, two of which are highly regarded critically:
6 Bold: Concert films
4 Underlined: A look at the struggles/creative process of the band
2 Struck out: Not music docs, but rather docs with prominent music

Pink Floyd at Pompeii
Sigur Rós: Heima
Samsara
Stop Making Sense
Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage
Foo Fighters: Back and Forth
Iron Maiden: Flight 666
U2 3D
Koyaanisqatsi
Pearl Jam Twenty
Searching for Sugar Man
The Last Waltz

I'd still be perfectly fine all 10 gone from the list
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on April 22nd, 2018, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5599
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#11

Post by maxwelldeux » April 22nd, 2018, 9:14 pm

Thanks for that info, PA!

The only one of those 12 I've seen is Koyaanisqatsi, which was awesome for reasons that have nothing to do with music. But for me (biases are starting to show), I'm not even remotely interested in music or bands, and those 10 just seem like film versions of things I'd pay money not to see. :pinch:

Also, which two are highly regarded? Last Waltz and Stop Making Sense?

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22790
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#12

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 22nd, 2018, 9:27 pm

maxwelldeux on Apr 22 2018, 03:14:55 PM wrote:Also, which two are highly regarded? Last Waltz and Stop Making Sense?
Yeah. As someone who isn't a fan of either band, but found the music in both reasonably enjoyable, and has watched both twice, they're good but I don't see what makes them special besides their directors and the big suit in Stop Making Sense.

Searching for Sugar Man is a bit different than the others in that its popularity is due to being an 'interesting' story rather than the music's fanbase, though I didn't think it stood out particularly as a doc.

Samsara is a Koyaanisqatsi type film so you might enjoy that.

The others are skippable unless you care about the bands/music.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on April 22nd, 2018, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 2482
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#13

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 22nd, 2018, 9:54 pm

maxwelldeux on Apr 22 2018, 03:14:55 PM wrote:Thanks for that info, PA!

The only one of those 12 I've seen is Koyaanisqatsi, which was awesome for reasons that have nothing to do with music. But for me (biases are starting to show), I'm not even remotely interested in music or bands, and those 10 just seem like film versions of things I'd pay money not to see. :pinch:

Also, which two are highly regarded? Last Waltz and Stop Making Sense?
The Philip Glass music in Koyaanisqatsi is pretty key for me, actually. I mean, especially that last scene - perfection.

I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5599
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#14

Post by maxwelldeux » April 22nd, 2018, 11:00 pm

GruesomeTwosome on Apr 22 2018, 03:54:18 PM wrote:The Philip Glass music in Koyaanisqatsi is pretty key for me, actually. I mean, especially that last scene - perfection.
Totally - I didn't mean that the music was not key to the film, but that it's an artistic documentary with great music, not a "music genre" film. I actually annoyed my wife for about a day after watching Koyaanisqatsi because I kept humming the music.

User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 2482
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#15

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 22nd, 2018, 11:11 pm

maxwelldeux on Apr 22 2018, 05:00:27 PM wrote:
GruesomeTwosome on Apr 22 2018, 03:54:18 PM wrote:The Philip Glass music in Koyaanisqatsi is pretty key for me, actually. I mean, especially that last scene - perfection.
Totally - I didn't mean that the music was not key to the film, but that it's an artistic documentary with great music, not a "music genre" film. I actually annoyed my wife for about a day after watching Koyaanisqatsi because I kept humming the music.
Ah, gotcha - right, of course it's not an "about music" documentary, yeah. I think I've annoyed some people humming that music too, haha.
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on April 22nd, 2018, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 5685
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#16

Post by sebby » April 23rd, 2018, 3:28 am

Watched Essene today. Finally a dull Wiseman :(

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5599
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#17

Post by maxwelldeux » April 23rd, 2018, 5:58 am

sebby on Apr 22 2018, 09:28:06 PM wrote:Watched Essene today. Finally a dull Wiseman :(
I haven't seen it, but based on the description... :mw_confused: :whistling:

Coco LaBerge
Posts: 873
Joined: Jan 16, 2016
Contact:

#18

Post by Coco LaBerge » April 23rd, 2018, 10:04 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Apr 22 2018, 03:27:18 PM wrote:Searching for Sugar Man is a bit different than the others in that its popularity is due to being an 'interesting' story rather than the music's fanbase, though I didn't think it stood out particularly as a doc.
Yeah it's more of a actual documentary than just music and isn't bad. It is one of those somewhat deceptive documentaries, which unfortunately seem pretty common.
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
Rodriguez still had a substantial career and was fairly successful, still touring in a number of countries. Which they never mention in the film, as it would change the perspective I guess. He's sort of presented as languishing in obscurity only to be rediscovered. It's a cheeky framing.

User avatar
viktor-vaudevillain
Posts: 374
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#19

Post by viktor-vaudevillain » April 23rd, 2018, 10:05 am

sebby on Apr 22 2018, 09:28:06 PM wrote:Watched Essene today. Finally a dull Wiseman :(
Oh, I actually really liked that one. What I wrote when I watched it some weeks ago:

"In Wiseman's usual observational style we follow a monastic order in the US. The most exciting parts for me were definitely the rituals, the ceremonies and various sacraments performed during the film. Towards the end of the film one of the brothers tell a story during one of their ceremonies while the whole order sits with closed eyes. It's an almost Nitzschean story of a crippled and non-crippled man. It ends with him standing up, almost yelling, that he is the crippled, and it ends with everyone putting their hands on his head, and afterwards hugging him. It's one of the most touching and spiritual scenes during the film. There's also a pretty funny scene with one of the brother's going to the hardware store to buy a potato peeler. Wiseman's films (at least the three I've seen) are very farcial but this one felt even more disjointed than both Titicut Follies and High School, and frankly there were some pretty boring scenes and sequences."
not everything is fish, but fish are teeming everywhere

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 5685
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#20

Post by sebby » April 23rd, 2018, 10:20 am

I did love the potato peeler scene. Some of the stuff with the brothers was mildly interesting, but it didn't wow me like it did you.

I don't believe all Wiseman docs need to be 3+ hours, but this one could really have benefitted from the extra length. The angry old ogre, the crying bearded singer, these dudes were interesting and I would have liked to have seen the camera linger on them longer. Essene felt almost like a collection of brief vignettes rather than a slowflow doc, which is what I was hoping for.

User avatar
cinephage
Donator
Posts: 3560
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Contact:

#21

Post by cinephage » April 23rd, 2018, 11:35 am

I just watched Tickled, on Netflix. Not very stylish, but I found its investigation quite ballsy and interesting. It starts with a dull subject, and switches to something entirely different.
In the end, I can't help but feel this film is revealing on certain aspects of our current society...

User avatar
viktor-vaudevillain
Posts: 374
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#22

Post by viktor-vaudevillain » April 23rd, 2018, 11:56 am

sebby on Apr 23 2018, 04:20:23 AM wrote:I did love the potato peeler scene. Some of the stuff with the brothers was mildly interesting, but it didn't wow me like it did you.

I don't believe all Wiseman docs need to be 3+ hours, but this one could really have benefitted from the extra length. The angry old ogre, the crying bearded singer, these dudes were interesting and I would have liked to have seen the camera linger on them longer. Essene felt almost like a collection of brief vignettes rather than a slowflow doc, which is what I was hoping for.
Personally I liked the vignette-style of Essene. But I'm no authority on Wiseman, and I've only seen his early stuff as of yet. What are your favorite Wiseman films?
not everything is fish, but fish are teeming everywhere

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7065
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#23

Post by Gershwin » April 23rd, 2018, 12:26 pm

GruesomeTwosome on Apr 22 2018, 03:54:18 PM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Apr 22 2018, 03:14:55 PM wrote:Thanks for that info, PA!

The only one of those 12 I've seen is Koyaanisqatsi, which was awesome for reasons that have nothing to do with music. But for me (biases are starting to show), I'm not even remotely interested in music or bands, and those 10 just seem like film versions of things I'd pay money not to see. :pinch:

Also, which two are highly regarded? Last Waltz and Stop Making Sense?
The Philip Glass music in Koyaanisqatsi is pretty key for me, actually. I mean, especially that last scene - perfection.

It's different, but I always associate this scene with Mer dare. You might want to watch that one.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18574
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#24

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 23rd, 2018, 5:00 pm

sebby on Apr 22 2018, 09:28:06 PM wrote:Watched Essene today. Finally a dull Wiseman :(
He also made a fictional film which I hated.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5599
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#25

Post by maxwelldeux » April 23rd, 2018, 5:01 pm

cinephage on Apr 23 2018, 05:35:17 AM wrote:I just watched Tickled, on Netflix. Not very stylish, but I found its investigation quite ballsy and interesting. It starts with a dull subject, and switches to something entirely different.
In the end, I can't help but feel this film is revealing on certain aspects of our current society...
Oh yeah - I was really intrigued by that one, and it definitely brings up notions of our society that are on the fringe. It was both surprising that people are into tickling and whatnot, and also not surprising, given that if you spend enough time on the internet, you can find your niche fetish and likely an already-existing community around it. It's a documentary that's a largely SFW example of Rule 34.

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 5685
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#26

Post by sebby » April 23rd, 2018, 9:17 pm

viktor-vaudevillain on Apr 23 2018, 05:56:48 AM wrote:
sebby on Apr 23 2018, 04:20:23 AM wrote:I did love the potato peeler scene. Some of the stuff with the brothers was mildly interesting, but it didn't wow me like it did you.

I don't believe all Wiseman docs need to be 3+ hours, but this one could really have benefitted from the extra length. The angry old ogre, the crying bearded singer, these dudes were interesting and I would have liked to have seen the camera linger on them longer. Essene felt almost like a collection of brief vignettes rather than a slowflow doc, which is what I was hoping for.
Personally I liked the vignette-style of Essene. But I'm no authority on Wiseman, and I've only seen his early stuff as of yet. What are your favorite Wiseman films?
Seen 18, my top 5:

Welfare
High School
Juvenile Court
Domestic Violence
High School II

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5599
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#27

Post by maxwelldeux » April 23rd, 2018, 9:22 pm

Just watched Welfare - it's my favorite of his so far.

User avatar
cinephage
Donator
Posts: 3560
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Contact:

#28

Post by cinephage » April 24th, 2018, 8:42 am

maxwelldeux on Apr 23 2018, 11:01:01 AM wrote:
cinephage on Apr 23 2018, 05:35:17 AM wrote:I just watched Tickled, on Netflix. Not very stylish, but I found its investigation quite ballsy and interesting. It starts with a dull subject, and switches to something entirely different.
In the end, I can't help but feel this film is revealing on certain aspects of our current society...
Oh yeah - I was really intrigued by that one, and it definitely brings up notions of our society that are on the fringe. It was both surprising that people are into tickling and whatnot, and also not surprising, given that if you spend enough time on the internet, you can find your niche fetish and likely an already-existing community around it. It's a documentary that's a largely SFW example of Rule 34.
Yes, the tickling part is weird, and certainly a proof of Rule 34, but I was mostly thinking of the second part of the movie revealing the person behind Jane O'Brien : how a rich enough person can hide and have a tedious behaviour towards dozens of people for years... And no one can do anything about it. This is insane.
To me, whether it's tickling or something else, the main stake of the movie is really how a -very- powerful person can use their power to abuse people they haven't even met, just for kicks.

This D'amato person is just the perfect bad guy...

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5599
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#29

Post by maxwelldeux » April 24th, 2018, 8:54 pm

cinephage on Apr 24 2018, 02:42:33 AM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Apr 23 2018, 11:01:01 AM wrote:
cinephage on Apr 23 2018, 05:35:17 AM wrote:I just watched Tickled, on Netflix. Not very stylish, but I found its investigation quite ballsy and interesting. It starts with a dull subject, and switches to something entirely different.
In the end, I can't help but feel this film is revealing on certain aspects of our current society...
Oh yeah - I was really intrigued by that one, and it definitely brings up notions of our society that are on the fringe. It was both surprising that people are into tickling and whatnot, and also not surprising, given that if you spend enough time on the internet, you can find your niche fetish and likely an already-existing community around it. It's a documentary that's a largely SFW example of Rule 34.
Yes, the tickling part is weird, and certainly a proof of Rule 34, but I was mostly thinking of the second part of the movie revealing the person behind Jane O'Brien : how a rich enough person can hide and have a tedious behaviour towards dozens of people for years... And no one can do anything about it. This is insane.
To me, whether it's tickling or something else, the main stake of the movie is really how a -very- powerful person can use their power to abuse people they haven't even met, just for kicks.

This D'amato person is just the perfect bad guy...
Oh - I see what you're saying. I didn't find the "rich enough person can hide and have a tedious behaviour towards dozens of people for years" aspect all that new, but that's because I'm used to American politics. Weird rich white guys controlling things behind the scenes is pretty much expected these days...

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5599
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#30

Post by maxwelldeux » May 28th, 2018, 9:05 pm

In case anyone is interested since many of us watched The Barkley Marathons for the ICMFF last year, here's a CNN article about the race:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/26/health/b ... index.html

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 3471
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#31

Post by OldAle1 » May 28th, 2018, 9:13 pm

maxwelldeux on May 28 2018, 03:05:53 PM wrote:In case anyone is interested since many of us watched The Barkley Marathons for the ICMFF last year, here's a CNN article about the race:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/26/health/b ... index.html
Funny, my brother and I were just talking about that yesterday - there was a marathon where he lives and he mentioned the Barkely which I'd never heard of. And that led me to looking up a guy who won the BM one year (and had the record for a while) who did the Triple Crown of Hiking (Pacific Coast Trail, Appalachian Trail, Continental Divide Trail) all in a single year. Amazing stuff!

But I'll bet those guys never watched 150-200 movies in a month. Talk about achievements...
Here's to the fools who dream.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5599
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#32

Post by maxwelldeux » May 28th, 2018, 9:49 pm

OldAle1 on May 28 2018, 03:13:20 PM wrote:
maxwelldeux on May 28 2018, 03:05:53 PM wrote:In case anyone is interested since many of us watched The Barkley Marathons for the ICMFF last year, here's a CNN article about the race:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/26/health/b ... index.html
Funny, my brother and I were just talking about that yesterday - there was a marathon where he lives and he mentioned the Barkely which I'd never heard of. And that led me to looking up a guy who won the BM one year (and had the record for a while) who did the Triple Crown of Hiking (Pacific Coast Trail, Appalachian Trail, Continental Divide Trail) all in a single year. Amazing stuff!

But I'll bet those guys never watched 150-200 movies in a month. Talk about achievements...
I mean, they run for a few hours and that's cool and all, but when your film watching is best measured in days each month, you know you're one of the REAL athletes... :whistling:

User avatar
72allinncallme
Donator
Posts: 2202
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#33

Post by 72allinncallme » May 23rd, 2019, 7:51 pm

I was searching for a movie that I couldn’t find at the ‘usual places’ and stumbled upon a streaming/downloading site called https://dafilms.com/

A lot of interesting titles (almost everything with English subtitles). 1700+ documentaries, experimentals and shorts from all over the world. Mostly 21st Century stuff.

If you register with your email some of the movies and many of the shorts can be streamed for free. If you want to access the whole library it’s 6€ a month. They do have an offer that expire May 26; a year long subscription for 36€.


I’m in the process of making an iCM list of all the titles available there.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/movi ... inncallme/

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5599
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#34

Post by maxwelldeux » May 24th, 2019, 12:49 am

Bookmarked. I'll look at that later, but that's a cool find...

Rainy Red Carpet
Posts: 62
Joined: May 20, 2019
Contact:

#35

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » June 8th, 2019, 12:00 am

Fuck You All: The Uwe Boll Story

Money talks and bullshit walks.

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18574
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#36

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 8th, 2019, 12:10 am

Uwe Boll is hilarious


Rainy Red Carpet
Posts: 62
Joined: May 20, 2019
Contact:

#37

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » June 8th, 2019, 8:52 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 12:10 am
Uwe Boll is hilarious

:D Fair enough.
Money talks and bullshit walks.

Rainy Red Carpet
Posts: 62
Joined: May 20, 2019
Contact:

#38

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » June 10th, 2019, 9:52 am

Watched this BBC special from the early 70s called Ways of Seeing. It was pretty good.

Money talks and bullshit walks.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5599
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#39

Post by maxwelldeux » June 11th, 2019, 7:02 am

So this one is a just a tad bit personal to me: Trickle Down Town (2018)
Synopsis wrote:Tomasz Biernacki’s thought-provoking documentary about the homeless crisis in Seattle. Deftly interweaving in-depth stories of community members who are living the crisis on the streets with interviews of political leaders and community advocates, vivid images of the current state of affairs and a poignant examination of the roots of homelessness in the region, Biernacki paints a picture of a city struggling to come to grips with an unprecedented emergency, and finds a few glimmers of hope.

The personal nature of this comes not only the fact that it's local to me, but the director is married to my wife's coworker (who herself is in the film). Wife and I watched it the other day, and really enjoyed it - I thought it did a nice job debunking the myth that more housing will solve the problem. Rather, it's more affordable housing that's needed. It also did a really good job at humanizing the homeless. There was a rumor in my neighborhood's social media site that they were going to put in tiny houses for low income people; the immediate and adamant vitriol in response to that rumor was surprising to me. So putting faces on there, like the USPS postal worker who can only afford to live in her RV to the 67 year-old guy with heart failure who's in and out of the hospital to the talented artist who's worked his ass off to get off the streets.

http://www.pechara.com/

That's the homepage, which has more info and the full film.

Rainy Red Carpet
Posts: 62
Joined: May 20, 2019
Contact:

#40

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » June 12th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Thanks for posting about Trickle Down Town. I work for a Homeless and Community Support program and got a lot out of it. I've joked with my colleagues in the past about opening up a shipping container 'estate' to address homelessness, but after seeing TDT I realize that might not such a far fetched idea. As one of the people in the film said building all the affordable houses required to house the homeless is going to take years and we shouldn''t block interim measures just because they're not the ultimate goal. If people became homeless because of some other emergency such as floods, fire or earthquakes I'm sure the community would find the displaced people emergency shelter. Likewise the lack of affordable housing should be declared an emergency and acted upon accordingly.
Money talks and bullshit walks.

Post Reply