Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Midnight Saturday Mar 23rd)
Polls: Academy Awards (Mar 22nd), Children (Apr 7th), 1932 (Apr 14th), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: French, War, Female Directors
World Cup: Semi finals schedule, SF-B (Mar 21st->Mar 24th)
Film of the Week: Le vieux fusil

The Film Lounge

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9245
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

Re: The Film Lounge

#17921

Post by Knaldskalle » March 5th, 2019, 2:40 am

max-scl wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 12:45 am
Do you listen to your music with earphones? with less than good audio equipment? We're used to that and nobody has ever told us that it is an unsuitable way to listen to music, or that only the live experience of a concert is the real music. in the studio the sound engineers were trying to come up with the best possible sound anyway because there are different ways to listen to music. And they're not exclusive. I feel the same about films.
Ackshually.... Lots of people have pointed out that mp3's played on $2 earbuds are far from how the music is supposed to be experienced, but people at large didn't give a shit.

I happily play mp3's in the car (the audio situation in a car is so bad that mp3's aren't the weak link) and I happily play cd's on my proper stereo at home. Horses for courses.

I also like to go to the movie theater (now that we have one in town!) and I like watching at home. Different situations, different experiences. It's all good, in my opinion.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 5594
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#17922

Post by sebby » March 5th, 2019, 3:00 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 2:40 am
max-scl wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 12:45 am
Do you listen to your music with earphones? with less than good audio equipment? We're used to that and nobody has ever told us that it is an unsuitable way to listen to music, or that only the live experience of a concert is the real music. in the studio the sound engineers were trying to come up with the best possible sound anyway because there are different ways to listen to music. And they're not exclusive. I feel the same about films.
Ackshually.... Lots of people have pointed out that mp3's played on $2 earbuds are far from how the music is supposed to be experienced, but people at large didn't give a shit.

I happily play mp3's in the car (the audio situation in a car is so bad that mp3's aren't the weak link) and I happily play cd's on my proper stereo at home. Horses for courses.
Yeah this was a hill Neil Young was almost ready to die on. But people didn't care about his new-fangled high qual DAP -- which I'm not sure is even available anymore -- the way he thought they would and he eventually just said fuck it, you can stream my music, whatever. I assume now he's tryign to tackle this cow some other way.

Convenience will almost always trump quality. Give the average person 300 bucks to buy headphones and they're buying beats or bose bluetooth headphones they can connect to their phone, tv, ipad, etc with the hit of a button, not a pair of bulky wired Sennheisers or Beyerdynamics that offer 10x better sound. Same is true with film. Audiophiles and cinephiles are not representative of the average consumer. People want easy access to as much music/film as possible at a reasonable cost. This is a genie they will never be able to put back into the bottle.

User avatar
Ivan0716
Posts: 867
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Contact:

#17923

Post by Ivan0716 » March 5th, 2019, 10:18 am

sebby wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 3:00 am
Knaldskalle wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 2:40 am
max-scl wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 12:45 am
Do you listen to your music with earphones? with less than good audio equipment? We're used to that and nobody has ever told us that it is an unsuitable way to listen to music, or that only the live experience of a concert is the real music. in the studio the sound engineers were trying to come up with the best possible sound anyway because there are different ways to listen to music. And they're not exclusive. I feel the same about films.
Ackshually.... Lots of people have pointed out that mp3's played on $2 earbuds are far from how the music is supposed to be experienced, but people at large didn't give a shit.

I happily play mp3's in the car (the audio situation in a car is so bad that mp3's aren't the weak link) and I happily play cd's on my proper stereo at home. Horses for courses.
Yeah this was a hill Neil Young was almost ready to die on. But people didn't care about his new-fangled high qual DAP -- which I'm not sure is even available anymore -- the way he thought they would and he eventually just said fuck it, you can stream my music, whatever. I assume now he's tryign to tackle this cow some other way.

Convenience will almost always trump quality. Give the average person 300 bucks to buy headphones and they're buying beats or bose bluetooth headphones they can connect to their phone, tv, ipad, etc with the hit of a button, not a pair of bulky wired Sennheisers or Beyerdynamics that offer 10x better sound. Same is true with film. Audiophiles and cinephiles are not representative of the average consumer. People want easy access to as much music/film as possible at a reasonable cost. This is a genie they will never be able to put back into the bottle.
It's not just about quality vs. convenience, going to the cinema for a lot people is a social event. It's the same reason why e-commerce hasn't killed off retail. Sure, they're "dying" in the same way that cinemas are, but they're not going anywhere as long as people still enjoy going out shopping physically. God forbid we ever have to live in a world where we will literally no reason to leave the house because lazy people won out.

You're also implying that cinephiles are the only people who care about the theatrical experience, which is obviously not true. And as everyone has said so far: it doesn't have to be one or the other.

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 5594
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#17924

Post by sebby » March 5th, 2019, 10:38 am

Ivan0716 wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 10:18 am
sebby wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 3:00 am
Knaldskalle wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 2:40 am


Ackshually.... Lots of people have pointed out that mp3's played on $2 earbuds are far from how the music is supposed to be experienced, but people at large didn't give a shit.

I happily play mp3's in the car (the audio situation in a car is so bad that mp3's aren't the weak link) and I happily play cd's on my proper stereo at home. Horses for courses.
Yeah this was a hill Neil Young was almost ready to die on. But people didn't care about his new-fangled high qual DAP -- which I'm not sure is even available anymore -- the way he thought they would and he eventually just said fuck it, you can stream my music, whatever. I assume now he's tryign to tackle this cow some other way.

Convenience will almost always trump quality. Give the average person 300 bucks to buy headphones and they're buying beats or bose bluetooth headphones they can connect to their phone, tv, ipad, etc with the hit of a button, not a pair of bulky wired Sennheisers or Beyerdynamics that offer 10x better sound. Same is true with film. Audiophiles and cinephiles are not representative of the average consumer. People want easy access to as much music/film as possible at a reasonable cost. This is a genie they will never be able to put back into the bottle.
It's not just about quality vs. convenience, going to the cinema for a lot people is a social event. It's the same reason why e-commerce hasn't killed off retail. Sure, they're "dying" in the same way that cinemas are, but they're not going anywhere as long as people still enjoy going out shopping physically. God forbid we ever have to live in a world where we will literally no reason to leave the house because lazy people won out.

You're also implying that cinephiles are the only people who care about the theatrical experience, which is obviously not true. And as everyone has said so far: it doesn't have to be one or the other.
I never said it was either/or?

I was more talking to the rise of Netflix as a legitimate primary method of film consumption -- the same way streaming has become the primary method of music consumption. It is where it is bc of convenience, full stop. If the average person looked at film consumption like a Spielbergosaur, Netflix would not be more valuable than Disney or any other media company. Many would scoff at paying 12.99/month for what is not a "true" film-viewing experience. But they don't. Of course people are still going to the movies, but I doubt they see a significant difference between watching Green Book on a movie screen and Buster Scruggs on a TV screen. So with that said, I do believe we are moving toward a future where fewer films are screened theatrically, many more are simultaneously released in theatres and on streaming platforms, and many more are released on streaming platforms only. And this whole shutting Netflix out of the Oscars thing is an old man with a paper knife trying to fight off a beefy young gladiator. Only a matter of time before he cries uncle.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7281
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#17925

Post by Lonewolf2003 » March 5th, 2019, 11:41 am

While I agree with your, sebby, analysis that’s were the industry is heading. I don’t see anything wrong with trying to stop this trend of fewer movies being theatrically released for those who like going to cinemas, what Spielberg is doing imho, without taking away the access on streaming services to movies for others.

The whole difference lays on how you read Spielbergs intentions by changing the Oscar rules to get more movies released theatrically by Netflix or to really shut Netflix films off from award cause they are unworthy in his opinion

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 5594
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#17926

Post by sebby » March 5th, 2019, 12:07 pm

while it would be great if indies and foreign films would get wider theatrical releases, let's be real: something like Roma is better off being a piece of premium material on NF -- more people are going to watch it this way, and ultimately that's the most important thing. Speaking selfishly, I simply want an easier path for those sorts of movies to exist in this world. I mentioned Nicole Holofcener earlier -- her latest film only got made because of NF. No studio would finance it unless she was able to replace Ben Mendelsohn with some A-list fuckboi like Johnny Depp, which she ultimately couldn't but more importantly did not want to do, as it would have disrupted her vision of the film. I'd rather these films get made w/o studio meddling and released on NF than either not exist or get lipsticked by Warner Bros or whomever.

The current documentary resurgence is also due in large part to netflix. I guess what i'm saying is they're legit and doing more good than not for cinema so geez, throw em a fucking bone.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7281
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#17927

Post by Lonewolf2003 » March 5th, 2019, 2:16 pm

I’m totally not denying the good the do and am glad about te handsoff method they practice at the moment for releasing movies by various directors, known and lesser known, that otherwise wouldn’t have seen the light of day. And yes if I had to chose I also rather these films get made w/o studio meddling and released on NF than either not exist or get lipsticked by Warner Bros or whomever.

User avatar
fori
Posts: 882
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#17928

Post by fori » March 10th, 2019, 3:31 am

Does anyone know what the nature of the controversial content in unavailable Atom Egoyan film Citadel is? I tried to find out about it 2 years ago but reviews are hard to find online due to there being no screenings since 2007. Alisoncm noted on the ICM page that Egoyan received death threats due to this movie.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 21673
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#17929

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 10th, 2019, 3:50 am

I don't know.
There's youtube videos of him talking about the film, maybe he mentions it there? I skipped through and didn't hear anything that would sound controversial, though.


There's been at least one screening since 2007 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/e ... -1.3826026

User avatar
fori
Posts: 882
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#17930

Post by fori » March 10th, 2019, 5:15 am

Oh yeah I saw a mention about this one in a review linked at IMDB. I noticed these videos when I was looking before. Perhaps I’ll check them when I get home.
The aforementioned reviewing mentions that the final 10 minutes are shocking. I wonder if it’s related to religion?

After watching the first video of 4, some obvious points stand out:
- according to Egoyan the documentary is partially fictionalised, which he say may be “disturbing”
- he says the films was made in a peaceful time in Lebanon, and predicted the current (2007) troubles in the country in a superficial way
- The film contains a scene where him and his wife encounter two possibly underage males engaged in a sexual act in a semi public place. Egoyan doesn’t address how explicit or revealing this footage is, or whether he was using it consensually.
- He notes this trip was life changing
Last edited by fori on March 10th, 2019, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nimimerkillinen
Posts: 1967
Joined: Dec 30, 2011
Location: Vantaa, Finland
Contact:

#17931

Post by nimimerkillinen » March 10th, 2019, 6:02 am

mightysparks wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:06 am
I think everything should be available in cinemas, if people want it, but I think I’m one of the few people who doesn’t think that the cinema is a better experience than watching something at home. There’s no film that watching on ‘the big screen’ has ever turned into a different experience. The cinema experience is just having to go out, be surrounded by people and feel uncomfortable in a strange room for a couple of hours. I guess because I’m not very visual that it makes no difference for me, though I do think watching something on your phone doesn’t count. Watching something at home has always been a better experience for me.
i always sit front and sparse, usually i cant hear or see anyone. in festivals its crowded but that helps too, otherwise i choose time when its not so crowded, especially if i feel extra anxious
i think watching something on your phone is looking it as close as if you watch something from backrow of theater

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 823
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#17932

Post by cinewest » March 10th, 2019, 6:35 am

And I thought I was the only one here who didn't care much for La La Land...

User avatar
outdoorcats
Posts: 691
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Contact:

#17933

Post by outdoorcats » March 13th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Someone seriously dropped the ball in marketing "Beale Street." But no really, what the fuck? The Youtube comments on both of the trailers is filled with comments like "this looks amazing" and "can't wait to see this" yet barely a few million views on each. Granted the only social media I use is FB but I didn't see any promotion there, which is pretty strange since the film seems to have obvious appeal for millennials.

Maybe this is why it didn't get a BP nomination? :shrug:

Bummer than Annapurna is having such a bad year for box office. Outside of A24, Ellison seems to be one of the only people in Hollywood (if not the only?) who can get truly artistically challenging and daring films into theaters. Plus there are films like The Master which just wouldn't exist without her.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 21673
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#17934

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 14th, 2019, 12:01 am

That article is such sloppily written garbage and highlights part of the problem with internet journalism which is that people just crib off each other. It's just a (not quite correct) summary of this Variety article (though to their credit they link to the source). That article uses the past tense, which, since neither of these movies is yet on home video has a completely different meaning than the future tense of the Variety article which would presumably take those things into account.

Beale St made 15 Million, which is about what you'd expect from a film like it. It's too artsy in structure to really break through beyond that and releasing at the end of year is an awards gambit that probably makes less sense now than it did a decade ago as more blockbusters are moving into that space.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 27820
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#17935

Post by joachimt » March 14th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Could someone find Le Pont de Mauves (1944, Jacques Demy) on IMDb? It's on TMDb: https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/451947 ... -de-mauves
IMDb hasn't got anything by Demy from before 1951. What am I missing here? I thought I watched it because it was an official check. :shrug:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 4874
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#17936

Post by maxwelldeux » March 14th, 2019, 10:47 pm

joachimt wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 8:07 pm
Could someone find Le Pont de Mauves (1944, Jacques Demy) on IMDb? It's on TMDb: https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/451947 ... -de-mauves
IMDb hasn't got anything by Demy from before 1951. What am I missing here? I thought I watched it because it was an official check. :shrug:
I couldn't find it. Must not be on there - I'm sure it could be added...

max-scl
Posts: 553
Joined: Jun 20, 2015
Location: Santiago, Chile
Contact:

#17937

Post by max-scl » March 15th, 2019, 2:41 am

Coming soon in every elegible Imdb list;
https://variety.com/2019/film/asia/aami ... 203163353/

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9245
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#17938

Post by Knaldskalle » March 15th, 2019, 4:00 am

max-scl wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 2:41 am
Coming soon in every elegible Imdb list;
https://variety.com/2019/film/asia/aami ... 203163353/
Wow. The worst of both worlds. What could possibly go right?

:facepalm: ^2
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
72allinncallme
Donator
Posts: 2050
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#17939

Post by 72allinncallme » March 15th, 2019, 3:09 pm

max-scl wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 2:41 am
Coming soon in every elegible Imdb list;
https://variety.com/2019/film/asia/aami ... 203163353/
:lol:
Good luck to everyone that care about those lists. So which lists are eligble? Musical, drama, sport, comedy, family, romance, 2010s2020s, adventure and the 250 list? :lol:

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#17940

Post by PirateJenny » March 15th, 2019, 11:51 pm

I really want to do a top 20 list. Something I can wean down into the ultimate top 20 films, the first that come to mind.

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal
Posts: 95
Joined: Feb 28, 2019
Contact:

#17941

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 16th, 2019, 3:39 am

On my 30th Birthday I watched Fight Club for the third time at the Astor Theatre.Two years later my first son was born and we named him Tyler.

Later this year I'll be 50 and I'm going to watch Lethal Weapon because officer Murtagh turns 50 in it and frequently says I'm too old for this shit. I first saw Lethal Weapon when I was a teenager and thought 50 was as old as fuck. So it'll be interesting to see how I feel about it when I'm watching it as a 50 year old. It's a funny life.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 4874
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#17942

Post by maxwelldeux » March 16th, 2019, 4:55 am

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 3:39 am
On my 30th Birthday I watched Fight Club for the third time at the Astor Theatre.Two years later my first son was born and we named him Tyler.

Later this year I'll be 50 and I'm going to watch Lethal Weapon because officer Murtagh turns 50 in it and frequently says I'm too old for this shit. I first saw Lethal Weapon when I was a teenager and thought 50 was as old as fuck. So it'll be interesting to see how I feel about it when I'm watching it as a 50 year old. It's a funny life.
That's hilarious - I first watched Lethal Weapon in my teens and thought he was old as fuck too. I've rewatched this within the last few years (I'm 36 now), and Murtaugh has some really excellent points about being too old for things that I identify with... :blink:

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#17943

Post by PirateJenny » March 16th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Lethal Weapon holds up well. Watched the first one about a year ago too, decent soundtrack on them.

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 17970
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#17944

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » March 17th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Twisted Pair, the best film of 2018 and the first 10/10 I've given in almost 2 years is now online.

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#17945

Post by PirateJenny » March 17th, 2019, 8:28 pm

Any recommendations for prison movies? I might be going and just rewatched Down By Law. I've seen it so many times already. A Man Escaped is probably in my top 20.
Or maybe courtroom dramas. I only watched Clouzot's La Verite a few days ago.

User avatar
monty
Posts: 12711
Joined: May 09, 2011
Contact:

#17946

Post by monty » March 17th, 2019, 8:41 pm

PirateJenny wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 8:28 pm
Any recommendations for prison movies? I might be going and just rewatched Down By Law. I've seen it so many times already. A Man Escaped is probably in my top 20.
Or maybe courtroom dramas. I only watched Clouzot's La Verite a few days ago.
Le Trou (1960), Cool Hand Luke (1967), Blood In, Blood Out (1993), American Me (1992), Das Experiment (2001), R (2010), Woodpeckers (2017), Starred Up (2013)

Courtroom dramas: The Verdict (1982)

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#17947

Post by PirateJenny » March 17th, 2019, 8:48 pm

monty wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 8:41 pm
PirateJenny wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 8:28 pm
Any recommendations for prison movies? I might be going and just rewatched Down By Law. I've seen it so many times already. A Man Escaped is probably in my top 20.
Or maybe courtroom dramas. I only watched Clouzot's La Verite a few days ago.
Le Trou (1960), Cool Hand Luke (1967), Blood In, Blood Out (1993), American Me (1992), Woodpeckers (2017), Starred Up (2013)

Courtroom dramas: The Verdict (1982)
Thanks! Not seen any of them yet so...
Watching Escape from Alcatraz at the moment. I guess it wouldn't be prison if they let you watch movies in there. :circle:

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 27820
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#17948

Post by joachimt » March 17th, 2019, 8:51 pm

Le Trou is a must see.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
RBG
Posts: 5909
Joined: Feb 13, 2016
Location: desert usa
Contact:

#17949

Post by RBG » March 17th, 2019, 9:17 pm

PirateJenny wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 8:28 pm
Any recommendations for prison movies? I might be going and just rewatched Down By Law. I've seen it so many times already. A Man Escaped is probably in my top 20.
Or maybe courtroom dramas. I only watched Clouzot's La Verite a few days ago.
caged (1950)
i am a fugitive from a chain gang (1932)
thunderbolt (1929)
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal
Posts: 95
Joined: Feb 28, 2019
Contact:

#17950

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 17th, 2019, 11:57 pm

Hunger, d Steve McQueen (2008)
Chopper, d Andrew Dominik (2000)
A Sense of Freedom, d John Mackenzie (1985)
Bad Boys, d Rick Rosenthal (1983)

Docos:
The Work, d James McCleary/Gethin Aldous (2017)
Tattooed Tears, d Nick Broomfield/Joan Churchill (1979)

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#17951

Post by PirateJenny » March 18th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Ok thanks! Plenty to keep me going/put on watchlist as I'm waiting.

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#17952

Post by PirateJenny » March 18th, 2019, 8:44 pm

I've just watching Le Trou and it's brilliant (8/10), So many tricks. Maybe nobody taught them you can cut your pocket out to make a sand timer like in Friedkin's Sorcerer. It's more maximal, yet tense, than A Man Escaped which is a formal masterpiece. Big difference in the sound editing. The Hole pummels you with suspense as you hear them digging out.

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#17953

Post by PirateJenny » March 18th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Image
Image

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 17970
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#17954

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » March 19th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Should I try seeing 2001 on edibles before the fav films list is due?

User avatar
fori
Posts: 882
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#17955

Post by fori » March 20th, 2019, 10:12 am

Just saw Tarkovsky’s “The
Mirror” and it may just
be THE greatest movie, such
poetic structural refrains. If
I add line breaks I’m smart
right?

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal
Posts: 95
Joined: Feb 28, 2019
Contact:

#17956

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 21st, 2019, 6:40 pm

fori wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 10:12 am
Just saw Tarkovsky’s “The
Mirror” and it may just
be THE greatest movie, such
poetic structural refrains. If
I add line breaks I’m smart
right?
Which scenes contained your favourite moments of poetic structural refrain?

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#17957

Post by PirateJenny » March 21st, 2019, 6:43 pm

Line breaks are smart. Helicopter to make the grass move uncannily is smarter. :P

User avatar
tobias
Posts: 361
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#17958

Post by tobias » March 22nd, 2019, 6:37 am

Are there any movies worth watching from the german Kaiserreich besides The Student of Prague (1913)? I found it really fascinating when I watched it. Had quite a different atmosphere than most Weimar films. Alternatively if anyone knows of worthwhile films from the KuK Monarchy that would interest me too (regardless of language).

@PirateJenny - Limite (1931) is a really fascinating prisonbreak film which is essentially without dialouge (it got like 1 or 2 dialouge title cards in 2 hours), a purely aural experience. As for courtroom dramas Anatomy of a Murder is a must watch.

User avatar
Ivan0716
Posts: 867
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Contact:

#17959

Post by Ivan0716 » March 22nd, 2019, 7:54 am

I would be interested in any films from(or simply set in) the KuK Monarchy as well, having watched László Nemes' Sunset and read Frederic Morton's Thunder at Twilight last year, I've developed quite the unhealthy obsession for that setting/period.

pitchorneirda
Posts: 16
Joined: Feb 11, 2019
Contact:

#17960

Post by pitchorneirda » March 22nd, 2019, 9:39 am

Ivan0716 wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 7:54 am
I would be interested in any films from(or simply set in) the KuK Monarchy as well, having watched László Nemes' Sunset and read Frederic Morton's Thunder at Twilight last year, I've developed quite the unhealthy obsession for that setting/period.
I haven't seen them so I don't know whether they are worth watching but I know there are "Az obsitos" from Béla Balogh (https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/az+obsitos/) and "Három hét" from Márton Garas (https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/harom+het/)

Post Reply