Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Iberian (Results), Musicals (Dec 15th), 1952 awards (Dec 21st), 2006 (Dec 23rd), Directors (Dec 31st)
Challenges: Forum Lists, Documentary, Canada
World Cup: Round 2 schedule, Match 2H (Dec 16th), R3 preparation (Dec 30th)
Film of the Week: The Silent Partner

Awards Season 2018

sebby

Re: Awards Season 2018

Post by sebby » December 7th, 2018, 1:38 am

Ivan0716 wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 4:25 pm
John David Washington
BlacKkKlansman
Seriously? :facepalm:
Yeah the film was very good but he was not. Meanwhile Hawke, joaquin, and Lakeith Stanfield got super duper snubbed.

Pretty trash year for the Globes.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » December 7th, 2018, 1:59 am

BlacKkKlansman had potential to be great but it was way too fucking long. I don't mind seeing it get a few nominations though.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 7th, 2018, 4:25 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 1:35 am
sebby wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 1:31 am
Black Panther gets a BP Globe nom. Boy is that going to look cringeworthy a few years from now. "If we nominate this shitty superhero movie will you please not be mean on twitter?" Oy.
Not gonna lie, seeing tumblr posts about it is cringy. Calling haters for it racist and complaining that it took this long for a Marvel film to be nominated.
you've been banned for this post as enjoying any film other than Marvel films is too adult for tumblr.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 7th, 2018, 4:32 am

Sadly, most adults probably never watch anything more 'adult" than MCU movies these days - unless one considers the Fast & Furious, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Transformers or POTC films somehow more mature than comic book flicks. When I saw Venom more than half the audience were middle-aged dudes like me - and it was on a day with no school.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » December 7th, 2018, 9:57 am

OldAle1 wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 4:32 am
Sadly, most adults probably never watch anything more 'adult" than MCU movies these days - unless one considers the Fast & Furious, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Transformers or POTC films somehow more mature than comic book flicks. When I saw Venom more than half the audience were middle-aged dudes like me - and it was on a day with no school.
"The American man is a failed boy" - John Updike

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » December 7th, 2018, 11:24 am

OK I'll get into the spirit of things. Kevin Hart has stepped down as Oscar night host. He wrote, amongst other tweets, a tweet saying if he found his son playing with his daughter's doll house he would break it over his head and tell him it was gay. Also if he found out his son was gay he would try and do anything he could to stop him being gay. The series of tweets in question are from 2009-2011. He was in his early 30s then so should have known better. Still I do question the response to stuff like this, I certainly would not want to get into an argument with someone here and have them quote something I said in 2009-2011, not that I can think of anything I was saying then which was wrong, just because it was a very long time ago, and I think it's fair to say I am a different person. I worry a lot about anger in society, and I know that I have in the past held grudges against people for a very long time, and it's not good for anyone. I remember taking over a poll for Timmy on IMDb and someone said they had a problem with me running the poll because of something I had said that was sexist years before. The guy in question couldn't actually remember at all what I had said, and didn't speak to me about it at the time, but he said he remembered that he was angry about it. I just can't say how absurd I found that situation, I couldn't even find something to apologise for because the guy didn't know what I did. I feel like society used to have mechanisms for atoning for things we'd said or done to hurt other people, and that doesn't really seem to exist any more. In the Christian faith they have a word for the state where you haven't confessed or atoned for sins, it's called being "attrite". You feel sorry and it wears away at you, but you never do anything about this feeling. And we are cursed with our evolutionary history, we have minds which are very good at spotting fault in others, but not ourselves. This was meant to make sure that we could all spot if everyone else in the tribe was pulling their weight on the mammoth hunt.

I remember being a gender dysphoric kid and wanting to wear dresses and having a dad who was deeply homophobic and transphobic (still is). I'm 38 and I've still never lived a day where I've felt comfortable with being me, or part of the world. Still coming from that place, and the dolls house comment being something I find directly hurtful (as opposed to the "being offended on someone else's behalf"), I wouldn't want someone to be denied a work opportunity because of some stuff that they said 8 years ago that they already said sorry for.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/d ... ontroversy
Last edited by matthewscott8 on December 7th, 2018, 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » December 7th, 2018, 11:25 am

That may or may not have been in the spirit of things, I'll keep on trying.

The Grinch.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » December 7th, 2018, 11:03 pm

Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody both get nominated for Best Drama, and you single out Black Panther, a film nearly everybody likes, as the embarrassment? More of an embarrassment than nominating The Tourist (after the film's producers flew the HFPA around on paid trips around the world beforehand), Burlesque, Spy, Red and Tim Burton's horrific Alice in Wonderland?

This isn't even the first superhero film to get nominated for Best Picture at the Globes, that was Deadpool.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » December 7th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Bohemian Rhapsody looks even worse than Black Panther to me. However, it doesn't seem as illogical to get a best picture nomination as the Golden Globes and Oscars LOVE their biopics. Also, nominating Black Panther just screams "Hey guys! We're woke too!" Sorry to say this, but I don't think someone is woke because they watched a superhero film.

I didn't know that Deadpool was nominated. I was browsing through the tumblr posts and quite a few of them mentioned that Black Panther was the first superhero nomination.

It may be unfair to talk shit about Black Panther as I haven't seen it, but I've seen my share of Marvel films and they are all terrible. Full of action sequences that become draining because of how boring they are, and incredibly grating comic relief scenes.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » December 7th, 2018, 11:34 pm

It's acknowledging they are aware of the huge cultural moment (and expression of just pure worldwide joy) that was the release of this movie. If that's what you mean by "Hey guys, we're woke too!" then, good for them? It's a rare combination of both one of the biggest box office successes of all time and a film the critics adored across the board--how bizarre would it be if it didn't get nominated at the Globes and Oscars?

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » December 7th, 2018, 11:43 pm

You do have a point that I agree with. I do agree that having a film of mainstream success being made by minorities is a nice fuck you to the racists out there. However, if we go by your logic, of a film being a huge box office success and loved by critics, then they are plenty of other films that should be nominated as well. Stuff like Mission Impossible Fallout, and Eighth Grade. Hell, we can even go with other superhero films like Wonder Woman, or maybe the recent Avengers. I think that nominating Black Panther for best drama was more for political/social reasons. I think it would be a lot more significant if they chose a film that directly dealt with political/social issues like BlacKkKlansman, Get Out, or my favourite Sorry to Bother You (but we both know that would NEVER get nominated). Fortunately, 2 of them were nominated so I'm happy with that. That is of course, unless Black Panther does deal with those issues? Haven't seen it so I dunno.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » Yesterday, 12:00 am

It does, actually, more than I ever would have expected from any Disney film (and the Oscar campaign is certainly playing up those aspects rather than the superhero film/Marvel aspect). Also in terms of box office successes I was thinking on a much bigger level than MI: Fallout, as in top 10 biggest box office hits of all time according to Box Office Mojo (#9 international, #3 domestic). The only other film on that list to get as much praise from critics is Titanic, which did pretty well for its award season ;)

I would love it if Sorry to Bother You even got a Screenplay nomination at the Oscars but it's pretty unlikely. It's just too weird, wild, and fucked up for most people.

sebby

Post by sebby » Yesterday, 12:06 am

outdoorcats wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 11:03 pm
Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody both get nominated for Best Drama, and you single out Black Panther, a film nearly everybody likes, as the embarrassment? More of an embarrassment than nominating The Tourist (after the film's producers flew the HFPA around on paid trips around the world beforehand), Burlesque, Spy, Red and Tim Burton's horrific Alice in Wonderland?

This isn't even the first superhero film to get nominated for Best Picture at the Globes, that was Deadpool.
Don't be thick. Black Panther was nominated purely to earn points and prevent backlash, which is gross as fuck (and belittling, even worse). It certainly wasn't nominated for merit -- otherwise we'd be seeing every copycat Marvel film that is little different from BP get noms year after year.

Bohemian Rhapsody got nominated b/c it's a by the numbers biopic about a beloved figure that was quite successful. How often do those not get nominated? Obviously neither deserves the nom, but one was nominated for more transparently problematic reasons. If they actually cared about recognizing black film they would nom a great black film instead of the one twitter idiots jizzed themselves over and made a fuss about. Sorry to Bother You is that film, but I doubt the idiots in charge have even heard of it, much less seen it. That's the best film of 2018. No noms.

More egregious, Atlanta got almost no recognition either. I mean it's silly stuff to care about, but the same problems that have always existed with regard to minority created cinema and tv still exist.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » Yesterday, 12:13 am

You must be fun at parties.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » Yesterday, 12:25 am

sebby wrote:
Yesterday, 12:06 am
If they actually cared about recognizing black film they would nom a great black film instead of the one twitter idiots jizzed themselves over and made a fuss about. Sorry to Bother You is that film, but I doubt the idiots in charge have even heard of it, much less seen it. That's the best film of 2018. No noms.

More egregious, Atlanta got almost no recognition either. I mean it's silly stuff to care about, but the same problems that have always existed with regard to minority created cinema and tv still exist.
it's not like Black Panther is the sole 'black film' there. Blackkklansman and If Beale Street Could Talk both also had strong showings with multiple nominations

sebby

Post by sebby » Yesterday, 12:52 am

outdoorcats wrote:
Yesterday, 12:13 am
Come on, you can do better than a tired cliche.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » Yesterday, 9:23 am

My typical heuristic is that if anything is nominated for an Golden Globe or Oscar, thn I shouldn't watch it. If it's a superhero movie then double whammy. So you can see how my mind boggles at such phrases as "Oscar snub". I don't even understand the language people use when describing awards season. Also sadly the european circuit of Cannes, Venice and Berlin, isn't really offering a great alternative.

I haven't watched Black Panther, and as such I have no comment on the movie. The fact that it has been raved by the critics has approximately zero informational value to me. They still live in a politically correct place and they have to give a movie like this a good write up. Else they have career risk. Take Chi-raq for example, this is the "critical consensus" from Rotten Tomatoes
Chi-Raq is as urgently topical and satisfyingly ambitious as it is wildly uneven -- and it contains some of Spike Lee's smartest, sharpest, and all-around entertaining late-period work.
80% fresh. Well let me tell you that this movie was not smart, not sharp, it was terrible, it was a mountain of hubris. Even when a movie that comes along that is that bad it stil gets fresh writeups if all/predominantly all the creatives were black. The US still has open wounds with race, and they don't look like healing any time soon.

I feel like I'm going to have to watch the movie having said all that :D Painted myself into a corner. I've only ever given 3 superhero movies positive reviews though hehe, Supergirl (original), Superman 2 (Donner Cut), The Spirit, none of which were popular lol.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » Yesterday, 10:30 am

sebby wrote:
Yesterday, 12:52 am
outdoorcats wrote:
You were probably begging for a tired cliche when you started your post off with "Don't be thick". If you hadn't written that you might still have been having a constructive dialogue.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » Yesterday, 11:52 am

I didn't grow up on comic books and generally find the idea of superheroes to be escapism of the dumbest kind, so Black Panther, like almost all superhero films, did absolutely fuck all to me as a film, but I also don't understand the argument that "this black film or that superhero film deserved to be nominated instead" - none of those are black superhero films.

Speaking as someone who generally hates the idea of things being given recognition on account of political correctness alone (looking at you Get Out), Black Panther being nominated doesn't surprise me and I don't really have a problem with it. Whether I like the film or not, there's no doubt that it's a monumental cultural milestone that even transcends cinema - just think about what this film means for millions of black kids around the world who now have a role model that they can be proud to look up to. Does it make an attempt to deal with sensitive racial/societal issues like most other "black films" do? Not really, it just about touches on some aspects of colonialism and racial oppression but never really tries to make a stand, and all the better for it: it's not that kind of film.

Does it deserves be acknowledged as one of the best films of the year? No, but I would argue the same for like half of the films nominated. Do I have a problem with the film industry wanting to pat themselves on the back by handing out nominations to films like Black Panther and Crazy Rich Asians (which I haven't seen, but expect it to be an extremely cringy and inaccurate view of Asian culture aimed solely to please the curiosity of white people) that have little chance of winning anyway? In this case, not really, worse films have been nominated for worse reasons.

Bottom line: these award shows have never been about celebrating the "best films" (whatever that means), and never will be, I don't know why some people are still so hung up on individual films getting nominations for reasons outside of their cinematic brilliance.

As far as good race films go, Blindspotting is the best one I've seen this year, the ending was a bit much but it manages to stay grounded through most of it; it doesn't take the issues it raises too lightly (Green Book), get too carried away with them (The Hate U Give), or worse, somehow manage to do both at the same time (BlackKkKlansman).

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » Yesterday, 12:33 pm

The Favourite is now the 168th highest rated film on Letterboxd with an average rating of 4.2. :blink:

It was 4.0 the last time I checked (around a month ago), is it the award hype?

And Roma is the 9th.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » Yesterday, 2:22 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
Yesterday, 12:33 pm
The Favourite is now the 168th highest rated film on Letterboxd with an average rating of 4.2. :blink:

It's made by a great director though. Looking forward to seeing it.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » Yesterday, 4:04 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
Yesterday, 11:52 am
think about what this film means for millions of black kids around the world who now have a role model that they can be proud to look up to[/b].
I definitely need to watch the film now, but the idea that one of these superhero movies has a good role model would make it the first I've ever watched where that was the case. From my little knowledge Wakanda has a king so it's not republican from the get go. Also with the rest of the world, Africa is starting to make really good mainstream movies, they don't need imports from the cultural hegemon.

sebby

Post by sebby » Yesterday, 10:43 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
Yesterday, 10:30 am
sebby wrote:
Yesterday, 12:52 am
outdoorcats wrote:
You were probably begging for a tired cliche when you started your post off with "Don't be thick". If you hadn't written that you might still have been having a constructive dialogue.
Don't be so thick, Matthew. It's not becoming.

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » Today, 5:43 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 11:24 am
I wouldn't want someone to be denied a work opportunity because of some stuff that they said 8 years ago that they already said sorry for.
Fully agreed, but the way Hart handled this situation was stupid. He's sincerely apologized now, which is nice, but his initial response was essentially "I'm not saying sorry, I've said my piece in the past" - that piece being far more of a "jeez, I wouldn't have said this if I knew people were so sensitive" type of "apology" rather than, you know, an actual one. Hart proudly shows the world he was at the very least highly reluctant to give a straight up "I'm sorry" for such lame, edgy attempts at being funny.

Regardless. The Academy, of course, is a joke, and it was really funny watching them embarrass themselves once again just by selecting this guy to host the show they love to tout as so "progressive and aware" (the show that separates "Best Film" and "Best Foreign Film", by the way) and then realizing they have to make him step down unless they want to face yet another wave of extraordinary backlash. I almost wonder if they've been sabotaging themselves on purpose lately, it's that absurd.

sebby

Post by sebby » Today, 9:04 am

I think what Hart took issue with was being given an ultimatum. My response to those has always been a hearty Fuuuuuuuuuuck you. If you feel like someone is trying to unnecessarily humble you, it's easy to not want to go along to get along.

Here's the thing, though, about comedians over 35. They've pretty much all made jokes that are "unacceptable" by today's standards. Nick Cannon's odd little tweet spree proved as much. If you want to get a Kevin Hart type to host your show, it comes with the package.

But yeah, if he's previously apologized then it's ridiculous to draw things out again. He hasn't pulled a Kevin Spacey or Lena Dunham here; let the man have his career.

My guess is that it's two more rounds of botox for the corpse of Billy Crystal. Or maybe Key and Peele if they want to stay hip.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » Today, 10:20 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
Yesterday, 2:22 pm
Ivan0716 wrote:
Yesterday, 12:33 pm

It's made by a great director though. Looking forward to seeing it.
It's so different from anything he's ever done, you can tell straight away he didn't write the script, it's too..."normal". I don't think it's his best film but certainly the most accessible and outright funniest, it's not hard to see why it would appeal to even his usual haters.

I don't fancy its Best Picture chances because of its (very)inappropriate humour, but I really hope I'm wrong here, it's the best English film I've seen this year by a mile.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » Today, 5:39 pm

RedHawk10 wrote:
Today, 5:43 am
(the show that separates "Best Film" and "Best Foreign Film", by the way)
tehe yup, and folks copy 'em too