Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Horror (Results), 1957 (Nov 13th), 1994 awards (Nov 25th), Iberian (Nov 30th), Musicals (Dec 15th)
Challenges: Noir, Nordic, Criterion+MoC
World Cup: Round 2 schedule, Match 2F (Nov 18th), Match 2G (Dec 2nd)
Film of the Week: The Suspect
Film Festival: Main slate, English-Language Independents, International I-IV, Arthouse, Just before dawn, Animation, LGBT, Documentaries, Shorts (Nov 27th)

Flicka och hyacinter AKA Girl with Hyacinths (1950) Film of the Week #253

Cocoa
Donator

Flicka och hyacinter AKA Girl with Hyacinths (1950) Film of the Week #253

Post by Cocoa » November 4th, 2018, 7:15 pm

Film of the Week #253: Flicka och hyacinter AKA Girl with Hyacinths (1950)

Summary:
The young Dagmar Brink commits suicide. Her belongings are inherited by the resident caretaker in the house she lived in. The caretaker, who never knew her, wonders why and make contact with the people who knew her to find out why she killed herself.

Info/Links:
#653 on 1000<400, with 159 checks.
Nominated by 72allinncallme, blocho, Cocoa, and xianjiro
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 500<400 resultsShow
#653(⇩310, #343) Flicka och hyacinter (1950)
[Girl with Hyacinths]

Directed by: Hasse Ekman
(227.89 Pts, 11 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–0
History: 653343817245NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 159 Checks , 24 Favourites , 4 Official lists
List of Voters:Show
zuma (61)
Wonderful Rainbow (79)
bjornam (81)
rnilsson19 (83)
Angel Glez (109)
Armoreska (112)
joachimt (123)
brokenface (170)
bal3x (189)
Mate_cosido (NA)
frbrown (285)

This movie fits the current Nordic Challenge.

Here is a schedule of all the FotWs.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » November 4th, 2018, 7:29 pm

This film is the first of our now monthly 1000<400 film in the FotW schedule. Although, this film is no stranger to the 500<400.
History: 653←343←817←245
This was a 500<400 that has fallen out of the 500<400, then appeared again on the list, and once again fell off.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 9th, 2018, 6:54 am

Just watched this for the Nordic challenge, and I will say it's going to be getting a boost from me. This is one of the better character studies I've seen in a film. The entire premise and beginning were jarring, and her character slowly develops over the course of the film until the very end when everything clicked. It was just heartbreaking and every motive came into sudden focus. Really quite lovely and great choices of shots pretty consistently throughout.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » November 9th, 2018, 4:00 pm

I liked the film. I felt like a lot of momentum was built up during the first half, but most of it was lost during the long painter scene. Besides that, great film. 7/10

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 11th, 2018, 2:29 am

Well made movie, though for whatever reason I couldn't connect with it emotionally. Contains one of the greatest drunken rants I've seen in movies.

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » November 11th, 2018, 10:07 am

I liked it a lot. The ending was predictable, but executed very well so I did not mind.
8/10

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 12th, 2018, 9:08 am

Interesting prior comments. Sorry I'm a bit late but have been focused on iCMFF2. Anyway, just watched this tonight and found it fairly enjoyable and interesting. I agree it's an well-constructed character study with that 'you don't really know someone you think you kinda know' thing going on through the film. Funny thing is, unlike prior posts, I thought the drunken painter's rant over the top and didn't anticipate the ah ha moment at the end. So clearly mileage will vary.

I did rather enjoy the dark, noirish tone throughout the piece. Felt it helped with the mood. I also thought that unlike Hollywood films from the period, this one dealt with more mature themes, granted, they were still restrained, but at no point are we unclear that these are adult characters with adult lives and adult problems.

The performances were solid. Maybe the set design was a bit heavy, but otherwise things just fit and nothing screamed for my attention other the unfolding story. And while the central character - the one the neighbors are only trying to get to know when it's too late - has layers, the other characters - those that affected her life in some way - seemed a bit flat to me. I liked the use of flashback to show the characters' joint experiences, but other than drunken painter, hasbeen Lothario, steady military officer, friend recently returned from working for the Germans (during WWII), and kindly roommate, we don't really get to know these other characters and what really made them tick; we only see how they affected the subject of the character study.

Overall, quite well made and a great choice for FotW!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 12th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Is this a noir? Two people have indicated so in the noir challenge. What would people identify as noirish about it? (Not arguing, just curious)

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » November 12th, 2018, 5:00 pm

I’m definetly no expert on the subject, but yes... ish.
You have the crime aspect
SpoilerShow
suicide, blackmail and I’m pretty sure homosexuality was forbidden in Sweden at the time
. And the male neighbour are investigating to find out the truth (pretty much like a PI).

It certainly had a noiresque look as well (at least to me).

(That said, I was in doubt if I should include it in the challenge or not)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 12th, 2018, 5:34 pm

blocho wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 12:52 pm
Is this a noir? Two people have indicated so in the noir challenge. What would people identify as noirish about it? (Not arguing, just curious)
To piggyback on what 72a said, the use of shadows in the film really worked at giving this a noir feel. Especially in the first part of the film, the shadows and lighting were a great metaphor for the mood of the film.

@xianjiro: I'm with you - I didn't see the end coming either.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 12th, 2018, 5:40 pm

@WalterNeff would have to rule on the officialness of Flicka och Hyacinter's noirishness. He's the expert, right? Well, at least the biggest noir fanboy I've seen around these parts.

For me it was about the lighting and use of darkness and shadows and how that meshed with the overall tone of the film. Of course the timing is right for noir as well. Even the screenshot above has that feel.

It didn't strike me as the filmmaker setting out to make a noir, however, it made sense to use the techniques that were floating around at the time to boost the story.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » November 12th, 2018, 5:44 pm

It's definitely noir-ish, kinda like a Swedish The Seventh Victim in a few ways.