Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Horror (Results), 1957 (Nov 13th), 1994 awards (Nov 25th), Iberian (Nov 30th), Musicals (Dec 15th)
Challenges: Noir, Nordic, Criterion+MoC
World Cup: Round 2 schedule, Match 2F (Nov 18th), Match 2G (Dec 2nd)
Film of the Week: The Suspect
Film Festival: Main slate, English-Language Independents, International I-IV, Arthouse, Just before dawn, Animation, LGBT, Documentaries, Shorts (Nov 27th)

The "What Would Be a Good Introduction To..." Thread

OldAle1
Donator

The "What Would Be a Good Introduction To..." Thread

Post by OldAle1 » November 4th, 2018, 5:25 pm

So, I've thought about doing something like this for a while, and why not now? The purpose of this thread is for people who are relatively ignorant of some subset of cinema - a director, a country, a genre, a theme, etc - to ask the forum generally, what's a good starting point? I'm thinking - in my own case at least - that it's more for asking about things I'm interested in and really know nothing about, and so I don't necessarily want to be burdened with huge lists or people saying "oh you've got to see these 5 films in this order, but only watch them if you can get them in HD, and please make sure to read the novels first" etc, etc. Nope, just want some very general guidelines, or one or two films, and it'd be cool if there''s a little agreement. But make up your own rules if you ask for guidance.

So my starting out question is:

What are a couple of good films to introduce me to the world of the luchador, and particularly Santo? I've gotten more into Mexican cinema of late, and I'm particularly interested in exploring some of the genre films of the 40s-70s or so. I've seen some noir and horror, have some idea of what westerns to look for, but Mexican wrestling, I have no idea. It looks fun, but what's a particularly good one or two that might whet my whistle, and make me want more?

*if there's a similar, older thread around, let me know, I went back and looked over the last year or so in this forum and saw nothing that looks that close.

beavis

Post by beavis » November 4th, 2018, 5:44 pm

I liked La Horripilante Bestia Humana (1969), but that is more trash/horror than classic Santo, Blue Demon, ..., movies. I've seen a few of those and they are never really good. Too old skool wooden for my taste, similar to the eurospy genre of the same period. The posters are cool and they should be fun, but actually watching can be kind of a bore with very repetitive tropes (of course there is always a lucha match somewhere in there)....

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 7th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Well, thanks Beavis. Anybody else, or is this just a stupid idea? Maybe it needed lists or polls...

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » November 7th, 2018, 6:40 pm

I like the thread idea.

How about Straub and Huillet? Their work intrigues me but I have no idea where I'd even begin to dive in.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 7th, 2018, 6:49 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 3:55 pm
Well, thanks Beavis. Anybody else, or is this just a stupid idea? Maybe it needed lists or polls...
The idea is fantastic - I really like this thread. I'm just such a film novice compared to most around here that I don't have a lot of suggestions, but I'm interested in what others have to say.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 7th, 2018, 6:52 pm

I like the idea of the thread too. I just can't help you, OldAle, with your question.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 8th, 2018, 8:32 pm

@Red Hawk - Start with their short film Lothringen!, it's one of their best and also gives an excellent example of their style in a short film, before you decide to fully commit to features.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 8th, 2018, 8:49 pm

RedHawk10 wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 6:40 pm
I like the thread idea.

How about Straub and Huillet? Their work intrigues me but I have no idea where I'd even begin to dive in.
I will echo outdoorcat's suggestion. I find their work consistently pretty difficult - I think without some really deep knowledge of European history and culture, you're going to have problems, I know I do. I've thought a couple of times when watching their work of a prof I had in a college class who berated the entire class - which was a requirement for English majors - about how we were all idiots because we didn't know the Bible backwards and forwards, which was essential background reading for this course in his mind. As I remember he gave out only 2 B's for a class of 35 or so - no A's - and failed half the class, pretty much unheard of at a "major" private school. I feel like I'm in that class watching S/H sometimes, though I can't imagine them berating people. But I still find it worthwhile and I suspect that watching more, and reading more about it, will help. My second suggestion even though I found it nearly impenetrable would be Not Reconciled because it was an amazing experience that made me want to understand better. And the Bach film is actually not as difficult as the others I've seen, and if you like Bach that might be another good choice.

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » November 9th, 2018, 12:09 am

Nice, thanks for the suggestions you guys. They've always seemed intimidating to me, but OldAle's description actually makes them seem even more inaccessible than I'd figured, lol. I'm glad I have some idea of where to start when I'm ready, though.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 9th, 2018, 1:12 am

Yeah since I'm not a communist tenured French academic historian I just sort of accept that a lot of the context is going to fly over my head, but I still find their films very interesting.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.