Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Musicals (Results), 1952 awards (Dec 21st), 2006 (Dec 23rd), Directors (Dec 31st)
Challenges: Forum Lists, Documentary, Canada
World Cup: Round 2 schedule, Match 2H (Dec 16th), R3 preparation (Dec 30th)
Film of the Week: Lebenszeichen

Should FotW be stopped, changed or continued?

Should FotW be stopped, changed or continued?

Continue the same way.
15%
Continue, but change the format (please explain your ideas).
33%
Abandon the project.
10%
I don't care.
43%
Just a fifth option to click in case the other four options are not conclusive..........
No votes

Total votes: 40

joachimt
Donator

Re: Should FotW be stopped, changed or continued?

Post by joachimt » August 20th, 2018, 1:45 pm

So far the poll results tell me this:
- Not a lot of votes totally (26), so this doesn't seem to be a subject a lot of people are interested in.
- The both "continue"-options get less than half of the votes. Could that mean we should just stop? Or should we continue for the people who do like it?
- Quite a lot of the voters (11) don't care. That doesn't even include the people who don't care but didn't even vote. So again, not a lot of interest.

The discussion seem to tell this at least:
- A lot of people seem to have enough already to watch with WC, challenges and their own plans.
- The selection isn't interesting enough for several people.
- The current format doesn't encourage discussion enough. The "Which films did you see last week" thread seem to do better.
- A change of format might attract some new participants (from the "I don't care" group).

One conclusion I made for myself:
I'm not interested in running this anymore after the end of the current schedule. I'm doing a lot of other stuff on this forum and iCM as well, so I don't think I want to invest my time in this project, even if the format is changed.

There are quite a lot of interesting ideas mentioned. Is someone interested in taking over this? Maybe a good idea to collect all the ideas and put them in a poll? If someone collects the ideas, I can put them in a poll in this thread.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » August 20th, 2018, 3:11 pm

I haven't read all the replies and various propositions since I was away, but the format of anyone suggesting ("nominating") titles one feels would be worthwhile discussing in some central thread and then others committing to simultaneously watch on a particular chosen date and in-depth discussing with passion and stamina, is definitely my preference and from experience on FG were among my very favourite threads ever, with discussion of exceptionally high quality. Two people is enough, but the more the merrier. The key is mutually professed interest in advance, to commit to type sentences on the actual date. There are currently 7 such threads on this forum too, with word counts far exceeding FotWs.

These don't have to be regular, with some organised timetable or anything (attempts at "Film Clubs" on FG at least failed as participation dampened after about three movies). Part of the fun was spontaneity. Like on one of the weekly threads often spontaneously the question "Hey, you wanna CuM SWAP* one of these titles?" would arise, and the threads would begin. Sometimes three times a week, sometimes once in two months.

*the NSFW acronym was used to make a point on FG (and bc it's funny), but obviously no need keeping it on here.

Otherwise I had the idea -- which I previously proposed on The Film Lounge -- to have audio chats through Google Hangouts or Discord about some film one watched on the same day. The dynamics could be very interestingly different to the usual format, but it can obviously run in parallel to whatever the evolution of FotWs will be.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr, blog
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

flaiky

Post by flaiky » August 20th, 2018, 4:32 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 1:45 pm
One conclusion I made for myself:
I'm not interested in running this anymore after the end of the current schedule. I'm doing a lot of other stuff on this forum and iCM as well, so I don't think I want to invest my time in this project, even if the format is changed.
Fair enough J. As I said above, I never really joined in but I always thought it was a cool idea so thanks and congrats for the effort.
Carmel1379 wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 3:11 pm
...and in-depth discussing with passion and stamina
Declaring this expectation off the bat may be off-putting for some. As long as people watch the film and share their views to some degree, that's good enough IMO. Anything beyond that is great but just a bonus. I know that I can't always be bothered to go in-depth on a film, but I might still want to do the simultaneous viewing and discuss the film to a degree. I also generally don't feel confident enough in my writing/articulation skills and I imagine I'm not the only one who gets held back by that, heh.

Personally, I think a set pace is probably a good idea but I'd probably preference "film of the fortnight" or even "film of the month". There could still be outlying threads if a group felt driven to discuss a particular film; that has happened here a few times already.

I'm not going to volunteer to host - my username is way too accurate for that - but if someone steps up, you can count me in as at least a semi-regular (I'd choose on a film-by-film basis).
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 20th, 2018, 4:58 pm

flaiky wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 4:32 pm
"film of the month"
If we do something for a month, I'd be interested in "director of the month", but not film. "List of the month" might be interesting as well, but that's also often covered in certain challenges.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 20th, 2018, 6:54 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 4:58 pm
flaiky wrote:
"film of the month"
If we do something for a month, I'd be interested in "director of the month", but not film. "List of the month" might be interesting as well, but that's also often covered in certain challenges.
First off, thanks for your hard work on this @joachimt! :cheers: I know it can be frustrating to put in so much and see so few taking advantage of it.

I'm supportive of both the "...of the month" ideas and would be willing to help organize that or at least continue the discussion to see what others think. My drawback is I don't have access to lots of films the way some people do. ;) But I can see how something like "October is Mario Bava Month: What films will you be watching?" and "I just saw Kill, Baby... Kill! and found it ..." could work.

Curious what others think.

One thought, given the size of our core group of followers, do we have, maybe, too much going on? The reason I ask is, between polls, challenges, World Cup, and the Film Festival, can most people work something like a Director of the Month selection in as well? I know it sounds like a good idea, but part of me thinks maybe we should give it a break after the current schedule ends and revisit the concept in six months - or take that long discussing what we'd like to try differently.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 20th, 2018, 7:02 pm

xianjiro wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 6:54 pm
One thought, given the size of our core group of followers, do we have, maybe, too much going on? The reason I ask is, between polls, challenges, World Cup, and the Film Festival, can most people work something like a Director of the Month selection in as well? I know it sounds like a good idea, but part of me thinks maybe we should give it a break after the current schedule ends and revisit the concept in six months - or take that long discussing what we'd like to try differently.
I'm leaning towards this as well.

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » August 20th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Director of the month is a good idea, the forum could use some more director dedicated discussion threads.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » August 20th, 2018, 8:59 pm

xianjiro wrote:
I can imagine that "director of the month" would end up similar to the challenges so yes, personally I think it would be too much and I'd prefer having a single film for people to focus on.

...But perhaps the concept could replace one of the challenges next year (ie, two themed challenges and a director thread each month)? :shrug: Just another idea to confuse this discussion further.
Let the ashes fly

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 21st, 2018, 12:44 am

joachimt wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 7:02 pm
xianjiro wrote:
I'm leaning towards this as well.
So I disagree (mostly) - I think 6 months is too long to wait/discuss.

Instead, I'd recommend taking a few of the ideas thrown out here and just try them out. We don't have to stick with anything, but it would be good to test them out and see what resonates with people. For example, one month, run a Director of the Month discussion. Next month, run a [something] of the Month discussion. See what interests folks, and use that to inform what we do moving forward. Like with the Official Challenges, there's a lot of discussion surrounding what to do about TV episodes (a conversation I'm dreading, but that's beside the point). But what's nice is that we're testing a few things out before having the formal discussion. Some challenges allow TV, some don't, some limit how much TV can count, etc. The point is that we can compare various strategies and how they actually work before making any decisions.

Another point I want to make is that I don't want us, collectively, to fall into the trap where the forum or major parts of it have to be everything to everyone. I, for example, am (obviously) interested in/excited about the Official Challenges - so that's where I put most of my focus. I think the World Cup is an awesome idea, but not where I want to put my focus. ICMFF is a great piecemeal activity that accommodates anything from very casual to hardcore participation. Basically, I like that we have a lot going on here - we have a common place to discuss films, and we can "specialize" in the areas of most interest to us; so I don't want to just drop things because there's a lot going on.

Anyway, I think there are a lot of cool ideas/opportunities on what to do instead of FotW - I just don't want "nothing" to be the default.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » August 21st, 2018, 3:56 am

Could we not have movies that have previously been in the world cup?

Oh heck, I'd guess I'd like personal nominations, but I'm not sure how much I care. I watched it a lot more often a couple of years ago, but as someone said above, I got tired of watching movies someone else chose and I wasn't particularly interested in. Same thing happened to me with world cup.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 21st, 2018, 12:40 pm

With the director of the month, that could most likely be coordinated with the challenge schedule. Since each month usually has at least one challenge that is country or genre based, that would likely leave a lot of options to pick a single underseen director who operates a lot in that particular niche. That might help in people not feeling overwhelmed by yet another item on the board. We could even have bonus points in the challenges for watching films from that director.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » August 22nd, 2018, 11:41 pm

flaiky wrote:
Carmel1379 wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 3:11 pm
...and in-depth discussing with passion and stamina
Declaring this expectation off the bat may be off-putting for some. As long as people watch the film and share their views to some degree, that's good enough IMO. Anything beyond that is great but just a bonus. I know that I can't always be bothered to go in-depth on a film, but I might still want to do the simultaneous viewing and discuss the film to a degree. I also generally don't feel confident enough in my writing/articulation skills and I imagine I'm not the only one who gets held back by that, heh.
Sure, hence the rarity and lack of constraining schedule. It's this once-in-a-while thing when one really commits to dedicate some time to discuss a freshly-seen film creatively and in-depth -- which obviously doesn't always work, but not trying never will -- while extensively interacting with others. It's lots of fun and I've learnt plenty over the years.

I know the burden of writing all too well, which is why I also suggested the whole Discord voice chat thing, as a yet untested method of film discussion that might potentially be quite dynamic and pleasurable. Is anyone interested in this? I made a server. 😊
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr, blog
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

fori

Post by fori » August 23rd, 2018, 1:16 am

Film of the week is good, but the stakes should be upped. Ban anyone who hasn't checked a FotW for three weeks in a row.

In all seriousness though, I think it's a good idea... the films that have been picked are often not high priority watches for me though. But why scrap it? It doesn't negatively impact anything to keep it going (or are there hosting costs associated with it?)

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 23rd, 2018, 1:25 am

While I'm supportive of individuals offering things like a voice discussion channel, I fear it would be difficult to try and schedule something aimed at widespread participation when our membership here spans at least 17 timezones. While voice will certainly appeal to some, if people can't work it into their schedule to watch a film and post about it in a given week (wide time frame), how will we agree to meet for a single hour (narrow time frame) to discuss it? Even if we were to schedule three sessions focused on three key areas - Australia, Europe, N America - we'd just be fragmenting further the project's small user base.

However, having this as an additional option to the forum is a plus!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

fori

Post by fori » August 23rd, 2018, 1:41 am

Maybe it could be recorded and listened to later? I don’t think the idea will catch on anyway though.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 23rd, 2018, 7:40 am

that's certainly worth considering if someone hosts a chat

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 23rd, 2018, 4:12 pm

fori wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 1:16 am
But why scrap it? It doesn't negatively impact anything to keep it going (or are there hosting costs associated with it?)
No costs associated with FotW. It's just like any other thread. The only reason to scrap it would be that it is a little bit of work for me every week and it's not very rewarding work, because not a lot people participate in it. It takes 5-10 minutes every week to collect the info, put it in the template, post it and update the schedule, header and iCM-list.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » August 23rd, 2018, 7:58 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 4:12 pm
fori wrote:
But why scrap it? It doesn't negatively impact anything to keep it going (or are there hosting costs associated with it?)
No costs associated with FotW. It's just like any other thread. The only reason to scrap it would be that it is a little bit of work for me every week and it's not very rewarding work, because not a lot people participate in it. It takes 5-10 minutes every week to collect the info, put it in the template, post it and update the schedule, header and iCM-list.
I can do that (and make an ICM list with weekly updates). I can continue FotW after you're done hosting it if that's alright with you and others.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 23rd, 2018, 8:19 pm

Cocoa wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 7:58 pm
joachimt wrote:
fori wrote:
I can do that (and make an ICM list with weekly updates). I can continue FotW after you're done hosting it if that's alright with you and others.
Sure, I'm fine with it.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 23rd, 2018, 9:21 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 8:19 pm
Cocoa wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 7:58 pm
joachimt wrote:

Sure, I'm fine with it.
sounds good :thumbsup:

sol can find me here

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » August 24th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Awesome!

We already have the 250 FotW selected, so I can create a schedule for the 251+ films. The 500<400 results should likely be announced before the end of the 250th week, but if the results are delayed beyond that week then films from the current official list will be used for 251 and such until the final results are fully announced.

My thoughts for the next scheduled set of films is for each month:
two 500<400 films that are related to the challenges of the month (similar to what we are already doing);
one 500<400 film that appeared most on user submitted lists*;
and one runner-up film (501-1000 ranked on the full 500<400 list) that appeared most on user submitted lists*.

*Before I create the schedule (either after or during the 500<400 results), I will make a thread asking members to submit a list (or lists if submitting from both 500<400 and the runner-ups) of films they want included into the FotW schedule. The films that earns the most points will be given preference and appear as FotW. (I will probably use this method as well when deciding the challenge theme films if multiple films fit the challenge. If none of the 500<400 films fit the challenge well but a 1000<400 runner-up does then I will use a film from the runner-up list). I'm uncertain as to how long the deadline to submit lists will be set for (it will depend on the speed of the official 500<400 results reveal and how close that date is to the last date in the 250 FotW schedule). I'm uncertain as to how points will be distributed to films submitted for FotW.
In case you're interestedShow
The standard fully ranked list with a half-life formula I don't think would work well for ranking films we haven't watched (although I think people might put a few films they have seen on their lists as well which I have no issue with as long as they contribute to the discussion). Although it's possible that a half-life might work if it's the right number.

The voting method will probably be some sort of one of the following:
an unranked list with a limit of 50 films (each film receives a point);
a group ranked list in which any film ranked in the top 50 would receive two points and any film ranked 51+ would only receive one point;
or a group ranking with more than two different point group tiers (For example: top 1 = 5 points, top 5 = 4 points, top 10 = 3 points, top 25 = 2 points, top 50 = 1 point)

The above feels way more complicated than it actually is and can be simplified. My questions are the following:
#1: Should there be a limit on the number of films a person submits on their list for FotW? Top 50? Top 100? No limit?
I don't even know if anyone here would attempt to make a list with more than 50 films (It's possible a few of you would).

#2: Half-life, unranked, or group/tier ranking?
If half-life, then what number?
If group/tier ranking, then how many tiers and at what number should each tier start and end?

If you don't care about any of the above then you don't have to answer :P

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 24th, 2018, 7:05 pm

Do you need anything from me, Cocoa? Spreadsheet or something?

When you start a new schedule, you can copy the two posts of the current schedule to the new thread so everything is still together. Same thing about the iCM-list, I guess. Would be nice if everything is on one list.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 26th, 2018, 12:20 pm

If I've ever participated it was to chime in on a film I'd already seen, but I did follow this discussion and am glad there was a good outcome. .

:clap:

Like many others, I have too much else to watch for various challenges that interest me, but I do keep an eye on this one. Thanks, J for your long faithfulness to this project. And to Cocoa for taking it on.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

flaiky

Post by flaiky » August 26th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Cocoa wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 5:10 pm
two 500<400 films that are related to the challenges of the month (similar to what we are already doing);
and one runner-up film (501-1000 ranked on the full 500<400 list) that appeared most on user submitted lists*.

*Before I create the schedule (either after or during the 500<400 results), I will make a thread asking members to submit a list (or lists if submitting from both 500<400 and the runner-ups) of films they want included into the FotW schedule.
Good of you to volunteer, and I mean no disrespect saying this, but I got the impression from the responses here that many people were hoping 1) for more direct nominations and 2) for the project not to be focussed on the <400 list. Joachim suggested doing a poll to see which ideas people like, which would be a good way of clarifying this.

If you're the one putting in the effort then you get the final say, of course, and you're welcome to ignore this but I just wanted to put it out there.
Let the ashes fly

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 26th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Cocoa wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 5:10 pm
Awesome!

We already have the 250 FotW selected, so I can create a schedule for the 251+ films. The 500<400 results should likely be announced before the end of the 250th week, but if the results are delayed beyond that week then films from the current official list will be used for 251 and such until the final results are fully announced.

*Before I create the schedule (either after or during the 500<400 results), I will make a thread asking members to submit a list (or lists if submitting from both 500<400 and the runner-ups) of films they want included into the FotW schedule. The films that earns the most points will be given preference and appear as FotW. (I will probably use this method as well when deciding the challenge theme films if multiple films fit the challenge. If none of the 500<400 films fit the challenge well but a 1000<400 runner-up does then I will use a film from the runner-up list). I'm uncertain as to how long the deadline to submit lists will be set for (it will depend on the speed of the official 500<400 results reveal and how close that date is to the last date in the 250 FotW schedule). I'm uncertain as to how points will be distributed to films submitted for FotW.
In case you're interestedShow
The standard fully ranked list with a half-life formula I don't think would work well for ranking films we haven't watched (although I think people might put a few films they have seen on their lists as well which I have no issue with as long as they contribute to the discussion). Although it's possible that a half-life might work if it's the right number.

The voting method will probably be some sort of one of the following:
an unranked list with a limit of 50 films (each film receives a point);
a group ranked list in which any film ranked in the top 50 would receive two points and any film ranked 51+ would only receive one point;
or a group ranking with more than two different point group tiers (For example: top 1 = 5 points, top 5 = 4 points, top 10 = 3 points, top 25 = 2 points, top 50 = 1 point)

The above feels way more complicated than it actually is and can be simplified. My questions are the following:
#1: Should there be a limit on the number of films a person submits on their list for FotW? Top 50? Top 100? No limit?
I don't even know if anyone here would attempt to make a list with more than 50 films (It's possible a few of you would).

#2: Half-life, unranked, or group/tier ranking?
If half-life, then what number?
If group/tier ranking, then how many tiers and at what number should each tier start and end?

If you don't care about any of the above then you don't have to answer :P
Instead of asking people to submit yet another list, why don't you simply take the 500<400 ballots from those who wish to participate in this project, and then run the results on only those lists. Less work for everyone else, thus less of a barrier for participation.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » August 26th, 2018, 10:30 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 7:05 pm
Do you need anything from me, Cocoa? Spreadsheet or something?

When you start a new schedule, you can copy the two posts of the current schedule to the new thread so everything is still together. Same thing about the iCM-list, I guess. Would be nice if everything is on one list.
I already have a spreadsheet with the previous films, so I'm good and don't need anything from you. I'll make sure to copy those posts; thanks!
flaiky wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 12:35 pm
Good of you to volunteer, and I mean no disrespect saying this, but I got the impression from the responses here that many people were hoping 1) for more direct nominations and 2) for the project not to be focussed on the <400 list. Joachim suggested doing a poll to see which ideas people like, which would be a good way of clarifying this.

If you're the one putting in the effort then you get the final say, of course, and you're welcome to ignore this but I just wanted to put it out there.
No disrespect taken.

1) The method I'm suggesting for films will be more direct nominations than the last/current version of FotW but the films have to be on the 500<400 list (or a runner-up) unlike the direct nomination method from the first version of FotW (during the earliest version of FotW, some people nominated films but didn't make an effort to watch the films other nominated. If a film appears on an official list, then it should encourage more people to watch that film rather than a film that appears on no lists that someone nominated).

2) There was discussion of a director of the month. If people want to start a new project, then they are free to do so and I will make no complaints for anyone that does so. If people have issues, concerns, or comments, they are free to bring it up now. No new changes to FotW will happen until late October, so there is plenty of time for discussion.
Fergenaprido wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 1:16 pm
Instead of asking people to submit yet another list, why don't you simply take the 500<400 ballots from those who wish to participate in this project, and then run the results on only those lists. Less work for everyone else, thus less of a barrier for participation.
Thank you for the suggestion. That is possible solution. My concern with that would be that there are films that a lot of us have already seen and this could possibly cause those films to be FotW, which isn't bad unless people want to use FotW as a reason to watch a film they haven't seen before. For example, a lot of us have watched World Cup films and put them on our 500<400 lists. Do people want another thread to discuss a lot of those films again or would people want to increase the odds of watching a film that they already decided they're interested in watching? Although if I disregarded the WC films, then this method might give us a better variety of films. I'm not opposed to this.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » October 8th, 2018, 8:04 pm

I'll be updating a list of eligible films for the next FotW schedule while we await the final 500<400 results: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/500d ... otw/cocoa/

We have two films left on the current FotW's schedule (this week and next week's films). Depending on the speed of the 500<400 results, we could have the results before the end of next week. Once we have the results, I'll create a new thread asking for input on the films to be included in the next 50 film schedule for FotW. I'll limit the suggestions to 50 500<400 films per person. I will also ask for people to submit an up to 50 runner-ups/1000<400 films per person once those results are in. There usually is a several days gap between the final 500<400 results and the 1000<400 results.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 8th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Did I misread your PM? I removed Wrony from the schedule, because you said you'd take over. Or did you mean you'll start Wrony and take it from there?

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » October 8th, 2018, 8:49 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 8:22 pm
Did I misread your PM? I removed Wrony from the schedule, because you said you'd take over. Or did you mean you'll start Wrony and take it from there?
Oh, I made that post before I saw your PM :lol: I'll take over next week and start with a film that isn't Wrony.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 9th, 2018, 4:36 am

Cocoa wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 8:49 pm
joachimt wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 8:22 pm
Oh, I made that post before I saw your PM :lol: I'll take over next week and start with a film that isn't Wrony.
So we're thinking about the same thing at the same time. :cheers:

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » October 11th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Wrony has now appeared on the list, so it will be next week's film.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 11th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Cocoa wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 12:56 pm
Shall I put it back on the schedule then? Or will you post a new schedule this weekend?

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » October 11th, 2018, 4:19 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 3:27 pm
Cocoa wrote:
Shall I put it back on the schedule then? Or will you post a new schedule this weekend?
Yeah, that would be great if you put it back on the schedule. I will post a new schedule at a later time for films after Wrony.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 11th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Cocoa wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 4:19 pm
joachimt wrote:
Cocoa wrote:
Yeah, that would be great if you put it back on the schedule. I will post a new schedule at a later time for films after Wrony.
Done.
But you will start Wrony, right?

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » October 11th, 2018, 10:49 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 7:41 pm
Cocoa wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 4:19 pm
joachimt wrote:

Done.
But you will start Wrony, right?
Yes, I will start Wrony.

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » October 12th, 2018, 11:18 am

In the other thread there is a discussion going on about something that would effective be a user choice-only FotW approach that is relevant to this thread (although I wouldn't like to keep Cocoa from taking over FotW as planned).

Independent of how that turns out: is the plan to make all picks at the beginning of the season or will it always occur 1-2 weeks before the scheduled FotW (with updated wishlists)? If I should submit a list in the beginning, it would be the ones I'm most excited about at that moment and I'd want to watch them even if they aren't chosen. So if the schedule was static, it would feel less direct (what was criticized for the current mode) and wouldn't give preference to those who actually participate. And I think it might be a problem to have a movie you want to watch now scheduled for I half a year when I don't know if I'll have time or will still be in the right mood.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » October 12th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Melvelet wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 11:18 am
In the other thread there is a discussion going on about something that would effective be a user choice-only FotW approach that is relevant to this thread (although I wouldn't like to keep Cocoa from taking over FotW as planned).

Independent of how that turns out: is the plan to make all picks at the beginning of the season or will it always occur 1-2 weeks before the scheduled FotW (with updated wishlists)? If I should submit a list in the beginning, it would be the ones I'm most excited about at that moment and I'd want to watch them even if they aren't chosen. So if the schedule was static, it would feel less direct (what was criticized for the current mode) and wouldn't give preference to those who actually participate. And I think it might be a problem to have a movie you want to watch now scheduled for I half a year when I don't know if I'll have time or will still be in the right mood.
The plan is to make picks at the beginning of the season. Although I will use challenges of the month as well in determining the order of the films in the schedule, so the schedule for 2019 will not be completely determined until I know what challenges will take place. I prefer for all the picks to be decided early on rather than 1-2 weeks before the scheduled FotW because some people might have a huge watchlist and forget films they want to watch a few weeks later, and then be reminded of a film they wanted to watch once it becomes a FotW. Plus, some people know when they will be busy during certain future weeks and can watch a FotW ahead of time and still contribute. That's just my perspective. I understand how you feel. I'm not going to force anyone to hold off on watching a film. A person can always watch the movies they want now and just comment on the films later when those films appear.