Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Doubling the Canon Nominees Challenge (Official, April 2021)

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

sortile9io wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:38 am
72aicm wrote: March 31st, 2021, 5:27 pm I searched manually. Took me about two minute per film.
Try using the search box on top of the Dtc topic, it is much faster.

would be cool for automated stats but that only works with a complete list unfortunately. I don't think I have time to code a scraper for that though
Current recommendation: Monday (2000)

ImageImage

Current focus: Doubling the Canon nominees, Japan, South Korea

Last.fm | RYM
sortile9io

Post by sortile9io »

sol wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:04 am
sortile9io wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 6:58 am BUCHANAN RIDES ALONE (Boetticher, 1958) — An interesting and promising political setting at the beginning (USA border town owned by a corrupt family that runs into trouble with a Mexican pro-revolutionary honourable family) turns into a sort of more or less plain chase and deception game, not disappointing after all, because everything is skilful and concise, just like all the other four Boetticher’s westerns I’ve seen so far, and besides, Randolph Scott is becoming slowly one of my favourite cowboys. 7/10
Thanks for watching one of my DTC nominations. Glad you liked it. :thumbsup: Probably my favourite Boetticher western after The Tall T. I was surprised to discover that it was on no Official Lists.
Yep, but that's because Western is underrepresented on iCM, only two Top 50s (IMDb and Spaghetti) that overlap with a paltry Top 100 general list for what is supposed to be a major genre. Buchanan will surely become official too (if not because of DtC) as soon as we promote a more comprehensive Western list (or several short lists that offer different but complementary views of the genre).
sortile9io

Post by sortile9io »

Melvelet wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:55 am
72aicm wrote: March 31st, 2021, 5:27 pm I searched manually. Took me about two minute per film.

would be cool for automated stats but that only works with a complete list unfortunately. I don't think I have time to code a scraper for that though
Well, that answer was intended only for the occasional searches of us, participants. I wonder if Angel removes the Nominator column from the ballot (it is in the final results sheet) in order to avoid skewed ratings based on who nominates what. But if that's not the case and there is no other big reason you could try asking him (from host to host) for that data so you can automate easily your stats.
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

1. Hwal (2005) — a.k.a. The Bow 3/6
In real Kim Ki-duk fashion two voiceless and nameless main character spend their days on a boat in the middle of the sea, encouraging the director's very visual way of storytelling. These characters are a 16 year old girl and the 60 year old man who adopted her and plans to marry her on her 17th birthday who rent the boat out to hobby fishermen who regularly try to force themselves on the girl which leads to the old man protecting her with his bow from having other man do to her what he plans to do himself. He also reads the fortunes of the paying visitors by shooting arrow's on a buddhist painting at the side of the boat with the adolescent girl swinging in front of it ("which lunatic would read a fortune like this?"). The main conflict arises when a young (and respetful) fisherman arrives, giving the girl prospects that she likes more than marrying a man who could be her grandfather and who has general power over her. The titular bow also doubles as a stringed (overdubed) musical instrument which lents the film a beautiful, calm score to accompany the often disgusting behaviour of primitive men trying to own the woman for themselves. In general, the slow meditative and calm overall mood is in wonderfully contrast with the plot.

2. Hanare goze Orin (1977) — a.k.a. Ballad of Orin 2/6 (maybe 3/6)
Shinoda's post-New Wave film non-linearly follows a goze (a blind female shamisen musician) named Orin, played by the director's wife. She is expelled from the goze group she grew up in since she was an abandoned orphan according to tradition that a goze must not have sex with a man - it is not quite clear if she is plain uninterest in following this tradition or how much her effective prostituion plays a part...probably both. Later she makes the acquaintence of a man who refuses to sleep with her because that would end the relationship in his eyes (or is it fear that she will leave him afterwards as she did with so many men before?). The man himself might be on the run from something. And again we have lots of men lusting after her, making loud inapproriate comments during her performances (much to the joy of the other attendants) as if they confused blindness with deafness - the goze barely acknowledges these everyday occurences. Other reviewer draw parallel's to Mizoguchi's Life of Oharu and indeed the hardships of a woman in a misogynist society with sexual double standards (partly archaic, partly not) are the main motive of the film. At the same time the Westernization of traditional Japan is reflected (again, as in many other Japanese works of fiction) although the time period around WWI is less regularly seen. A long secquence where everyone wears clothes that could be from a jidaigeki is interrupted by a train, which at first made me think Shinoda would follow a similar way as he did 3 years prior in Himiko. The focus is definitely more on the plot this time as compared to Himiko's very stylized visuals but there are there are enough blossoms for more than a few glimpses of beauty.

ImageImage

Last.fm | RYM
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

DTC Nominees
1. Black Is... Black Ain't (1994)
2. Chilly Scenes of Winter (1979)
3. Chase a Crooked Shadow (1958)
4. I'd Climb the Highest Mountain (1951)
5. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

This remake of the acclaimed Swedish thriller benefits from atmospheric music score from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, but this otherwise feels so similar, and plays out so much alike the original, that it is hard to work out what drove David Fincher to do it. The remake does not improve on the original's shortcomings either. Again, there is too much exposition and again it takes over an hour for the two main characters' separate story threads to converge.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

Let's start a party. I had to check three times if it's really nominated:
1. A Night at the Roxbury (1998)
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

Yeah, I know. But then you have noms from the other forum, translated titles, people who only post links etc.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

2. Le Horla (Jean-Daniel Pollet, 1966) [prodigalgodson] IMDb: 8-, DtC: 4
redoubling doubling
1. I, Tonya (Craig Gillespie, 2017) [TSP 21st drop-off] IMDb: 6+, DtC: 2
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

I'm off to a good start, here are my first three viewings for the challenge which coincidentally are all DTC revotes:

1. Wise Blood (1979) Brad Dourif gives an excellent performance in this bizarre but brilliant character study about an unhinged soldier who is sent home following an injury and becomes a self-proclaimed preacher for his very own Church Without Christ. The loose narrative hops from one surreal situation to another as Dourif's character, Hazel Motes, encounters all manner of unusual people whilst clinging on to the notion that he is destined for greatness. 4/6

2. The Tall T (1957) This is a thrilling western about a former ranch-hand who is hoping to settle down and lead a quiet life until he is kidnapped alongside a rich heiress when a trio of outlaws stop their stagecoach. Clocking in at under eighty minutes, Director Budd Boetticher squanders no time here and the efficient pacing makes for a breezy ride that never lets up once the outlaws arrive on the scene. 3/6

3. The Browning Version (1951) A teacher reflects upon a career he views as a failure and a marriage that is in tatters in this brooding drama from Anthony Asquith. The storyline holds few surprises but the performances from Michael Redgrave as the retiring teacher and Jean Kent as his unfaithful wife are excellent. 4/6

For the bonus round I would like to nominate Special (2006). It's a wonderful sci-fi comedy about a man who is convinced he has become a superhero after an adverse reaction to the drug trial he is taking part in. Here's a brief excerpt from my review:

'Although Special hasn't received the same level of attention as similar films such as Defendor, Super and Paper Man, it undoubtedly paved the way for these innovative spins on the superhero genre and some of its originality may now be overshadowed by the imitators that followed. However, it remains a compelling and heartwarming comedy with a broad appeal due to its successful amalgamation of elements of science-fiction, black comedy and touching human drama, all wrapped up in the package of a superhero origin story. This is a film that lives up to its title and deserves to be more widely known in the wake of the multi-million pound superhero franchises that it preemptively poked fun at so well.'
ororama

Post by ororama »

1. Milano calibro 9 (1972) * 102 min.

Solid crime drama, a bit over the top.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

filmbantha wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 3:21 pm 1. Wise Blood (1979) Brad Dourif gives an excellent performance in this bizarre but brilliant character study about an unhinged soldier who is sent home following an injury and becomes a self-proclaimed preacher for his very own Church Without Christ. The loose narrative hops from one surreal situation to another as Dourif's character, Hazel Motes, encounters all manner of unusual people whilst clinging on to the notion that he is destined for greatness. 4/6
:worship: One of my all-time favourite films.
filmbantha wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 3:21 pm For the bonus round I would like to nominate Special (2006). It's a wonderful sci-fi comedy about a man who is convinced he has become a superhero after an adverse reaction to the drug trial he is taking part in.
:worship: :worship: I had been looking for an excuse to finally watch this for a while. Blind bought it on DVD a few years upon recommendation from Richard Scheib, but it never seemed to ever float to the top of my watchlist. Until now. :D
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

sol wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 3:26 pm
filmbantha wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 3:21 pm 1. Wise Blood (1979) Brad Dourif gives an excellent performance in this bizarre but brilliant character study about an unhinged soldier who is sent home following an injury and becomes a self-proclaimed preacher for his very own Church Without Christ. The loose narrative hops from one surreal situation to another as Dourif's character, Hazel Motes, encounters all manner of unusual people whilst clinging on to the notion that he is destined for greatness. 4/6
:worship: One of my all-time favourite films.
filmbantha wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 3:21 pm For the bonus round I would like to nominate Special (2006). It's a wonderful sci-fi comedy about a man who is convinced he has become a superhero after an adverse reaction to the drug trial he is taking part in.
:worship: :worship: I had been looking for an excuse to finally watch this for a while. Blind bought it on DVD a few years upon recommendation from Richard Scheib, but it never seemed to ever float to the top of my watchlist. Until now. :D
I can certainly see why you love Wise Blood! It's one that I can imagine myself returning to again at some point because it's a strange yet highly amusing experience. I have always loved Dourif for his performance in Cuckoo's Nest but have to confess that I haven't really seen him in many other significant roles. I will have to change this.

Fingers crossed that you enjoy Special, I'll look forward to reading your thoughts on it. :cheers:
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

5. Ordnung (1980, Sohrab Shahid Saless)
When you don't know the person anymore that you have lived with for 35 years, when existing becomes more important than living, when convention supersedes exploration, when you find out one day that you have grown old without ever having learned to experience wonder in the everyday, when you've kept waiting for the ideal to manifest itself and you lost hope that you will live to see the day and more and more of the time that you waited for the thing to happen is now allocated to waiting for death, when you feel like you are sleepwalking through life and you can't wake up and during many moments you think to yourself that you are awake now yet looking back on it later you still feel that you were asleep. Aber alles ist in Ordnung.

[16 min]. A Voz e o Vazio - A Vez de Vassourinha / Vassourinha: The Voice and the Void (1998, Carlos Adriano)
[10 min]. Pastori di Orgosolo / Orgosolo's Shepherds (1958, Vittorio De Seta)
[5 min]. Films to Break Projectors (2017, Tim Grabham)
[5 min]. Nursery Rhymes (2018, Tom Noakes)

didn't finish:
Leák / Mystics in Bali (1981, H. Tjut Djalil)

The reminiscing rat dreams of the time that is no longer real
{0} American Reflexxx (2015, Alli Coates)
{0} T's World: The Over Identification of Terry Thompson (2013, Ramon Bloomberg)
{0} Monday (2000, SABU)
{0} You Ought to Be in Pictures (1940, Friz Freleng)
{0} First Man (2018, Damien Chazelle)
{0} The Flying Fish (2019, Murat Sayginer) (2 viewings)
{0} Bakit Dilaw ang Gitna Ng Bahaghari? / Why Is Yellow the Middle of the Rainbow? (1994, Kidlat Tahimik)
{0} Dr. Jack (1922, Fred C. Newmeyer & Sam Taylor)
{0} Une femme mariée: Suite de fragments d'un film tourné en 1964 / A Married Woman (1964, JLG)
{0} A Wedding (1978, Robert Altman)
{0} Matthias & Maxime (2019, Xavier Dolan)
{0} Happy Here and Now (2002, Michael Almereyda)
{0} Paris est à nous / Paris Is Us (2019, Elisabeth Vogler)
{0} Bad Boy Bubby (1993, Rolf de Heer)
{0} The Vikings (1958, Richard Fleischer)
1. Stemple Pass (2012, James Benning)
2. Lonely Are the Brave (1962, David Miller)
3. Zum Vergleich (2009, Harun Farocki)
4. Passing Strangers (1974, Arthur J. Bressan Jr.)
5. Ordnung (1980, Sohrab Shahid Saless)

to be divided by 80:
[12 min]. Händelse vid bank / Incident by a Bank (2010, Ruben Östlund)
[9 min]. The Girl Who Swallowed Bees (2007, Paul McDermott)
[16 min]. A Voz e o Vazio - A Vez de Vassourinha / Vassourinha: The Voice and the Void (1998, Carlos Adriano)
[10 min]. Pastori di Orgosolo / Orgosolo's Shepherds (1958, Vittorio De Seta)
[5 min]. Films to Break Projectors (2017, Tim Grabham)
[5 min]. Nursery Rhymes (2018, Tom Noakes)
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

003. The Flame and the Arrow (1950) [AB537]
004. Fiamma che non si spegne (1949) [Hawk]
Spoiler
000. Al karnak (1975) [zhangalan]
000. Sibiriada (1979) [hurluberlu]
000. Izgnanie (2007) [DtC]
000. Hai tan de yi tian (1983) [DtC]
000. Peterloo (2018) [blocho]
000. City After Dark (1980) [lineuphere]
000. Mandara (1971) [Melvelet]
000. Zivot je cudo (2004) [Fergenaprido]
000. Shiki-Jitsu (2000) (l) [Lakigigar]
000. Il deserto dei tartari (1976) [hurluberlu]
001. A Vida Invisível (2019) [Teproc]
002. Iskanderija... lih? (1979) [DtC]
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Spoiler
1. Jallikattu (2019) - 4/10
2. Bunny Lake Is Missing (1965) - 7/10
3. Nocturnal Animals (2016) - 5/10

Shorts:
A) American Reflexxx (2015) - 7/10 (14min, 14min)
B ) The Flying Train (1902) - 7/10 (2min, 16min)
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

5. My Dog Tulip (2009) 3/6

6. A Cottage on Dartmoor (1929) 4/6

7. Beyond the Mind's Eye (1992) 0/6
Spoiler
1. Yogoto no yume a.k.a. Every-Night Dreams (1933) 3/6
2. Waterloo Bridge (1940) 2/6
3-4. Prime Suspect (1991) 4/6
5. My Dog Tulip (2009) 4/6
AB537

Post by AB537 »

2. Criss Cross (Robert Siodmak, 1949) 7/10
3. West Beyrouth (À l'abri les enfants) - West Beirut (Ziad Doueiri, 1998) 7.5/10
4. Prisoners (Denis Villeneuve, 2013) 9/10 ... glad I watched this one again, years after seeing it in theatres ... held up nicely on a second viewing, a very intense mystery/thriller with lots of twists and turns
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

flavo5000 wrote: April 4th, 2021, 3:11 am Image
5. My Dog Tulip (2009) 3/6
Thanks for giving one of my DTC nominees a go. I'm glad you appreciated it, even if you didn't quite find it canon-worthy. My Dog Tulip was one of my favourite first time viewings last year. I think I watched it during last year's Animation Challenge. Cannot remember where the recommendation came from.
Image Image Image
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

DTC Nominees
6. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)

This is a very unique and interesting spin on the Frankenstein story for the most part, full of fun theories regarding souls being trapped in bodies, while the good doctor performers Flatliners experiments on himself. The transferring of his lab assistant's soul into a woman's corpse only occurs in the final third of the film though, and this is the film's weakest stretch as the film turns into a psycho slasher when it could have been a neat look at coping in another body.
Image Image Image
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Any chance of getting the bonus challenge movies put into the OP? Makes finding them easier than checking through the posts, as it is I just found 1 I missed the first few times through.
sortile9io

Post by sortile9io »

3. WATERLOO BRIDGE (LeRoy, 1940) — War, romance and drags to riches in a too conventional for my taste melodrama, sometimes even a bit corny although classy, but with many photogenic kisses, an inspired Vivian Leigh playing a melancholic and defeatist orphan young lady and a superb gloomy b/w photography. 7/10

4. LIFE IS SWEET (Leigh, 1990) — This (Leigh again) could use lots and lots of subtlety to get the same dramatic effect, and probably more depth, without making its characters look often like utterly silly and exasperating caricatures. 3/10
Plus…
1. CASH ON DEMAND (Lawrence, 1961) — 7/10
2. BUCHANAN RIDES ALONE (Boetticher, 1958) — 7/10
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

4. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)

This is the first of any adaptation's of Victor Hugo's classic novel I have seen and I enjoyed it but wasn't overly impressed. The set design is wonderful and I loved the discussions about the printing press in the opening scene, as well as the lively festival sequence that followed. The labelling of the film as a horror is a great disservice though and marred my expectations slightly. 2/6
Spoiler
1. Wise Blood (1979) 4/6
2. The Tall T (1957) 3/6
3. The Browning Version (1951) 4/6
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

DTC Nominees
7. The Unbelievable Truth (1989)

If slow-moving at first, this is a generally engrossing ride, elevated by a calm and collected protagonist who never lets his emotions get the better of him and who reminisces philosophically on his crimes and how they have shaped his life. Once "you've done the unimaginable" as he has done, does your outlook on life totally change? The supporting characters are sadly a lot less interesting here - with Chris Cooke as an overprotective father coming off the worst.
Image Image Image
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

zzzorf wrote: April 4th, 2021, 6:14 am Any chance of getting the bonus challenge movies put into the OP? Makes finding them easier than checking through the posts, as it is I just found 1 I missed the first few times through.
That's the idea, yesterday's coding sessions didn't get far enough though. I'll try to finish it today

ImageImage

Last.fm | RYM
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

Melvelet wrote: April 4th, 2021, 12:59 pm
zzzorf wrote: April 4th, 2021, 6:14 am Any chance of getting the bonus challenge movies put into the OP? Makes finding them easier than checking through the posts, as it is I just found 1 I missed the first few times through.
That's the idea, yesterday's coding sessions didn't get far enough though. I'll try to finish it today
Bonus recommendations are now in the OP, everyone please doublecheck that their recommendation is present.
Will update the new entries now...

EDIT: Done. Also added some lists

Are there any wishes for list based stats?

ImageImage

Last.fm | RYM
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

2. My Life as Zucchini (2016) - 3/6
3. The Pied Piper (1986) - 2/6
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but something definitely didn't click here with these ones. I don't like the animation that is deliberately ugly, and with the Krysar i felt as uncomfortable as the only sober person at a family party, where an uncle is fingering grandma while everyone else is vomiting around.
Spoiler
1. A Night at the Roxbury (1998) 3/6
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Melvelet wrote: April 4th, 2021, 2:36 pm
Bonus recommendations are now in the OP, everyone please doublecheck that their recommendation is present.

OP is looking pretty good, Mel - though I would get rid of the Criterion Collection column. Not really interesting or related to this challenge (there isn't the same inherent overlap as with 500<400).

I think you're missing PdA's promoted movie: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5398#p699393

Oh, and:
Rank Participant Count Recommendations Minutes 500-400 all-time 500-400 CC DtC all-time DtC revotes
1 flavo5000 7 0 393 2 1 0 3 2
1 sol 7 1 694 1 0 1 0 0
Have I been watching really long films, or has he just been watching really short ones? :think: Big difference for the same # of points.
Image Image Image
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

sol wrote: April 4th, 2021, 3:18 pm

OP is looking pretty good, Mel - though I would get rid of the Criterion Collection column. Not really interesting or related to this challenge (there isn't the same inherent overlap as with 500<400).

I think you're missing PdA's promoted movie: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5398#p699393

Oh, and:
Rank Participant Count Recommendations Minutes 500-400 all-time 500-400 CC DtC all-time DtC revotes
1 flavo5000 7 0 393 2 1 0 3 2
1 sol 7 1 694 1 0 1 0 0
Have I been watching really long films, or has he just been watching really short ones? :think: Big difference for the same # of points.
Thanks for the feedback. I removed CC and added 1000<400. This generally makes me wonder if I should only have the lists with immediate relevance in the main table and maybe add another table in spoilers for a larger set of standard lists (like other Top 1000)...although it's hard to judge which lists would be generally interesting to people/which lists people are actively and passively working on

And indeed there was something wrong with the Runtime of flavo's movies (caused by the multi-entry for Prime Suspect), it's fixed now

Also added PdA's rec

ImageImage

Last.fm | RYM
sortile9io

Post by sortile9io »

Melvelet wrote: April 4th, 2021, 2:36 pm Are there any wishes for list based stats?
Not for lists, but I would add an average to the overall values, at least for count and minutes. And still can't see the two pictures under the pair of Canon EOS.
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

1. Her Smell (2018)
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

3. Lady Killer / Gueule d'amour (Jean Grémillon, 1937) [DtC 2016 Revote] IMDb: 8-, DtC: 4
redoubling doubling
1. I, Tonya (Craig Gillespie, 2017) [TSP 21st drop-off] IMDb: 6+, DtC: 2
2. Le Horla (Jean-Daniel Pollet, 1966) [prodigalgodson] IMDb: 8-, DtC: 4
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

8. Die freudlose Gasse a.k.a. Joyless Street (1925) 3/6

9. Col cuore in gola a.k.a. Deadly Sweet (1967) 3/6
Spoiler
1. Yogoto no yume a.k.a. Every-Night Dreams (1933) 3/6
2. Waterloo Bridge (1940) 2/6
3-4. Prime Suspect (1991) 4/6
5. My Dog Tulip (2009) 4/6
8. Die freudlose Gasse a.k.a. Joyless Street (1925) 3/6
9. Col cuore in gola a.k.a. Deadly Sweet (1967) 3/6
beavis

Post by beavis »

1. Anantaram (1987) - 7.5
2. Chitra sutram (2011) - 7.0
3. Kanojo to kare (1963) - 7.5
4. Iskanderija... lih? (1979) - 7.5

Four good movies so far, but somehow I had expected more from each of them. Chitra Sutram was both the wildest movie experience and the biggest disappointment in this regard. Very transgressive in both the sexual and religious images and there is something hidden in there that wants to speak to me, but in the end it didn't do that much.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Melvelet wrote: April 4th, 2021, 12:59 pm

Thanks for adding the bonuses up, that makes things a lot easier. The only thing I would say is missing now is the tally of whose original nominations have been watched but I do believe that is a harder thing for you to compile so if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen.
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

005. Munekata kyôdai (1950) [lineuphere]
006. Jonas qui aura 25 ans en l'an 2000 (1976) [MrCarmady]
Spoiler
000. Al karnak (1975) [zhangalan]
000. Sibiriada (1979) [hurluberlu]
000. Izgnanie (2007) [DtC]
000. Hai tan de yi tian (1983) [DtC]
000. Peterloo (2018) [blocho]
000. City After Dark (1980) [lineuphere]
000. Mandara (1971) [Melvelet]
000. Zivot je cudo (2004) [Fergenaprido]
000. Shiki-Jitsu (2000) (l) [Lakigigar]
000. Il deserto dei tartari (1976) [hurluberlu]
001. A Vida Invisível (2019) [Teproc]
002. Iskanderija... lih? (1979) [DtC]
005. Munekata kyôdai (1950) [lineuphere]
006. Jonas qui aura 25 ans en l'an 2000 (1976) [MrCarmady]
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

And I like to nominate The Work (2017) for our bonus game. It’s been a holdover for two years now.
DudeLanez

Post by DudeLanez »

5. Tsigoineruwaizen (Suzuki, 1980) 2/6
6. Hausu (Ôbayashi, 1977) 2/6 #flavo5000
7. Byôsoku 5 senchimêtoru (Shinkai, 2007) 3/6
Spoiler
1. L'assassin habite... au 21 (Clouzot, 1942) 3/6
2. Chiyari Fuji (Uchida, 1955) 3/6
3. Sallah Shabati (Kishon, 1964) 1/6
4. Punishment Park (Watkins, 1971) 3/6
5. Tsigoineruwaizen (Suzuki, 1980) 2/6
6. Hausu (Ôbayashi, 1977) 2/6 #flavo5000
7. Byôsoku 5 senchimêtoru (Shinkai, 2007) 3/6

Recommendation:
Mutter Küsters' Fahrt zum Himmel (Fassbinder, 1975)
Image ImageImageImageImage
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Spoiler
1. Jallikattu (2019) - 4/10
2. Bunny Lake Is Missing (1965) - 7/10
3. Nocturnal Animals (2016) - 5/10

Shorts:
A) American Reflexxx (2015) - 7/10 (14min, 14min)
B ) The Flying Train (1902) - 7/10 (2min, 16min)

4. Underworld (1927) - 6/10
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

DTC Nominees
7. The Unbelievable Truth (1989)
8. Dance Me to My Song (1998)

Rolf de Heer acutely captures the seeming hopelessness of the non-verbal disabled protagonist's situation here due to her manipulative caregiver who, as it is gradually revealed, has her own problems. The film has a few loose ends (in particular, who keeps calling the man) and the tonally inconsistent ending does not really stack up, but this is gripping stuff for the most part and actual cerebral palsy sufferer Heather Rose -- who co-wrote the film -- shines.

Congrats, 72. Second 6/6 film I've seen this month. :poshclap:
Image Image Image
AB537

Post by AB537 »

5. Color Out of Space (Richard Stanley, 2019) 7/10
6. Affliction (Paul Schrader, 1997) 6.5/10