Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Monday, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Films Directed by Women Challenge (Official, March 2021)

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

adwest wrote: April 1st, 2021, 7:29 pm
Knaldskalle wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:02 am 8. We Need to Talk about Kevin (Ramsay, 2011). Holy Schmokes! Perhaps not the best movie for relaxing after a long day, this is an incredibly well-made tense-as-heck movie that manages to create an uncomfortable viewing experience (and that's not criticism, but praise). This is really good stuff, but man, did I pick the wrong day to watch this. ;)
This has been on my list for so long but the subject matter looks so difficult--just what you're saying--that I keep putting it off until I feel mentally prepared. Which hasn't happened yet. :lol:
That was very much a love-it or hate-it film back in the day on the IMDb forums; I think the majority thought it really great but there was certainly a vocal minority that felt it was so heavy-handed and over the top that it was laughable.

My own take was that it was godawful and it made me angry. This may have something to do with having a close family situation that is at least vaguely similar, I don't know. And I have mixed feelings about the director's work overall, so I'm not eager to check it out again.
Here's to the fools who dream.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Watched it today, so don't count it to the final result. But since I liked it a lot and people might still be checking this thread, let's make a little noise about this film.

xx. 4.0* - Ánimas by Laura Alvea, José Ortuño (2018)

A very neat and stylish mindfuck. Not quite as complex or baffling as some make it out to be, but man is the execution on point here. The colors are livid, the cinematography splendid, the lead actors do an amazing job and the mystery is intriguing, even though the ending is far from original. A lovely little genre flick.

Woah man
01. 3.5* - The Stylist by Jill Gevargizian (2020)
02. 1.0* - Moxie by Amy Poehler (2020)
03. 2.5* - She Dies Tomorrow by Amy Seimetz (2020)
04. 3.5* - Shadow in the Cloud by Roseanne Liang (2020)
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

adwest wrote: April 1st, 2021, 7:37 pm
St. Gloede wrote: April 1st, 2021, 2:36 pm My last set. Thank you both for most adwest and max! (why do you both hate capitals btw? :D)

i blame e.e. cummings
And I blame data cleaning for getting me in the habit of killing capitals.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

Also, let's call this last call.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Ooh, you remind me, I do have one last one - should have been around #15-16 but I don't feel like messing with it so -

19. Speed Racer (The Wachowskis, 2008) (re-watch)

2nd viewing. I re-watched this just before the favorite movies poll voting ended, thinking I might actually like it more and want to put it on my list. No such luck though it didn't really fall in my estimation. I remember seeing this in the cinema - and seeing all the terrible reviews, and terrible comments by a lot of folks on IMDb, and thinking WTF. These same people who were loving all these dumb superhero films couldn't appreciate this? Grr. Anyway, it's probably never going to be on my all-time list mostly because it is overlong and has some kind of boring stretches - the Wachowskis tend to excess even in their best work and this is no exception, and this lightweight material doesn't need to get anywhere within an hour of the length of Cloud Atlas. One of the racing scenes in the middle - the cross-country one? - goes on a bit long, there's a bit too much of the old living up to the brother's example stuff, etc. I don't mind the silly plot too much because hey, this was a kid's cartoon and they're not trying to make it all dark and scary - if anything it could have stood being MORE cartoonish in the villain department for example. But it is such a gloriously beautiful pop-part piece of kitsch! When I was a kid I had some LeRoy Neiman prints for some reason - no idea why, I was never into sports, I don't think I bought them or anything, and they were just cheap posters not anything of value certainly. And I lost them a long time ago, but I still remember the vividness of the colors and the dyanmism

and Speed Racer is one of a veeerrrryyyy few action films that gives me anything like the same sensation, in it's best moments.

That, and largely perfect casting and a pretty good mix of humor and seriousness make this, if not quite great, then at least special enough that I'll probably pull out the disc every few years. Just wish they'd been able to use the song as it sounded on the (American version of the) TV show.

Ok maybe not.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

And it's been a while now, so let's call it. Condolences to flavo for not cracking 200 this month. And thanks to everyone who played!