Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Foxtrot, May nominations (Apr 30th)

2021 Challenges: Leaderboard and Rules Discussion

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: November 20th, 2020, 6:26 am I'm not saying this because I want to splurge on hours of TV. I just think it makes sense to allow those few users who are interested in TV fare (in a perfectly reasonable manner from what I've seen; the only ''abuse'' I can recall is from the Ch/HK/Tw Challenge a couple of years ago) to work in the TV they are interested in exploring, for whatever challenge it might be.

I don't believe film watchers on here want to abuse the challenge rules.
I'm sorry, that was a little sarcasm I'm afraid :)
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Yeah, I know. I just thought I would take the chance to clarify my position.
That's all, folks!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I would like to thank the contributions of everyone on this thread so far. I am about to release an interim poll.

This poll does not include the 60 minutes of TV = 1 point option. I recognise and appreciate the fact that some participants here want this rule, but the whole idea of adjusting the minutes obtained by watching TV is in order to create a fairer system in which television watching earns similar points to movie watching.

I recognise that this decision may be met with disappointment, but:

1. The poll is just intended as an interim poll to fuel discussion. It is not the be-all-and-end-all.

2. With this thread being active for 5 days, I feel that there has been plenty of time for someone to present a case for 60 minutes of TV = 1 point being a fair system. While there has been a lot of discussion about the minute-threshold, nobody has presented a compelling case to argue that this is fair with acknowledgement to the fact that average film length is 90 minutes and one film = 1 point.
Last edited by sol on November 20th, 2020, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

Onderhond wrote: November 20th, 2020, 6:05 am 3 votes of TV-favoring and/or short people should equal 1 point whereas 1 vote of a film-favoring person also equals one point. Just to make sure our forum keeps a film focus.
Is there really a major risk of having this forum lose its focus on film ??? Seriously ?
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

cinephage wrote: November 20th, 2020, 9:57 am
Onderhond wrote: November 20th, 2020, 6:05 am 3 votes of TV-favoring and/or short people should equal 1 point whereas 1 vote of a film-favoring person also equals one point. Just to make sure our forum keeps a film focus.
Is there really a major risk of having this forum lose its focus on film ??? Seriously ?
I'll repeat what I said a couple a few posts back:
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

Onderhond wrote: November 20th, 2020, 11:14 am
cinephage wrote: November 20th, 2020, 9:57 am
I'll repeat what I said a couple a few posts back:
I guess I'm losing perspective here... :lol:
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

I read some many people saying they don't do challenge to compete, including myself. I suggest we completely radically change the whole system, that we get rid of the whole competitive aspect of challenges by abolishing the counting. And just turn them into "What kind of [X-topic/country/region/decade/theme] movie, series or short do you watch during this month" threads. We can still do fun Bonus Challenges, f.e. Check of the Deaths list with Horror, to keep a gaming aspect. :D
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 20th, 2020, 4:52 pm I read some many people saying they don't do challenge to compete, including myself. I suggest we completely radically change the whole system, that we get rid of the whole competitive aspect of challenges by abolishing the counting. And just turn them into "What kind of [X-topic/country/region/decade/theme] movie, series or short do you watch during this month" threads. We can still do fun Bonus Challenges, f.e. Check of the Deaths list with Horror, to keep a gaming aspect. :D
I'd honestly support that, but I think some of the hardcore players aren't going to like that (even when a win means nothing more than minimal clout and/or some raised eyebrows).
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I also don't care much about the competitive aspects. I've tried to really emphasize discussion over competition in the recent challenges I've hosted. For Noirvember, I changed the goal from "Watch as many noirs as possible" to "Watch noirs. Discuss them."

But other people really enjoy the competition of challenges. I'm not going to rain on their parade. There's enough room in challenges for everyone, whatever their purpose in participating.
albajos

Post by albajos »

It's in the nature of the word "challenge"

Or else it's just noir month. See a movie, or not, we really don't care'

For these who don't care about points, that's why we have bonus goals. I always try to make goals so people get to experience several different factors of a theme. See movies frm all countries in Nordic, all letters in LGBT etc

I also add the Personal Best column to the leaderboards, so players can chose to compete against their previous best score, and not everyone else