Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Monday, May nominations (Apr 30th)

ICM Forum's Favourite Directors 2020 [RESULTS]

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

:facepalm: How did Dreyer and Lubitsch miss my list ?
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Torgo wrote: March 7th, 2021, 6:22 pm Top 40, boys! :wub:
Top 40 English-language directors who made their debuts in the late 1990s? Yeah, I might give him that.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

OldAle1 wrote: March 7th, 2021, 6:59 pm Top 40 English-language directors who made their debuts in the late 1990s? Yeah, I might give him that.
High praise!
A more important artist than Kiarostami, David Lean, Jean Renoir, Robert Altman or some film rando like Federico Fellini - the poll has spoken.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I love the presentation for the top 50. I'll definitely delve into some of these directors (at some point), and it will be soon for Kar-wai Wong, i can promise you that.

That being said, top 40 for Christopher Nolan seems okay. It's still only 40th place of course. I don't get the hate some well-known modern filmmakers get. Sure, i'm not the biggest fan of Nolan either, but he's not out of place too, i guess. especially given Fincher used to be above him.

Yeah sure, i'd think i'd like Wong and Cronenberg more than Nolan, but it's what it is.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

JLG's rank halfed since 2019, after a decade in ICM's Top 22. Ouch.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Torgo wrote: March 7th, 2021, 7:19 pm JLG's rank halfed since 2019, after a decade in ICM's Top 22. Ouch.
Out of top 200 soon :whistling:
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Last edited by pitchorneirda on March 7th, 2021, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Torgo wrote: March 7th, 2021, 7:19 pm JLG's rank halfed since 2019, after a decade in ICM's Top 22. Ouch.
I think we lost a couple of members who would have had JLG in their top 10s since 2018 (Kas and Lim - though I thought they disappeared even earlier - if so I don't know).

One thing is clear - I need to head out and recruit some JLG fans.

Damn it, people!
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

#36 (⇧8, #44)
Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger
Image/Image (1905-1990) (1902-1988)

Top 1–5–10: 0–1–1

History: 3644373751535652←46

Personal Quotes (Powell)

Personal Quotes (Pressburger)

Key Films:
The Red Shoes (1948) – 25 Official Lists, also on IMdb
A Matter of Life and Death (1946) – 23 Official Lists, also on IMdb
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) – 16 Official Lists, also on IMdb
Black Narcissus (1947) – 13 Official Lists, also on IMdb
I Know Where I'm Going! (1945) – 12 Official Lists, also on IMdb

ImageImageImageImageImage
List of Voters (37):
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

St. Gloede wrote: March 7th, 2021, 7:52 pm
I think we lost a couple of members who would have had JLG in their top 10s since 2018 (Kas and Lim - though I thought they disappeared even earlier - if so I don't know).

Damn it, people!
Well my job will be to recruit NWR fans haha.

There are some members on Moviemeter which could upset some things i believe, because Onderhond might still have the weirdest taste, but he's been much more succesful at spreading his taste to other users, and there are a lot of "style-over-substance" users (i dislike that word because style = substance), and they could seriously bring some tremor to a lot of these lists that have a lot of classic and arthouse appreciation.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Wait... What?! I push Rohmer all the way up to 21st (after a series of brilliant rewatches and finishing his filmography) and he drops?!
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Last edited by pitchorneirda on March 7th, 2021, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Lakigigar wrote: March 7th, 2021, 8:35 pm

Damn it, people!

There are some members on Moviemeter which could upset some things i believe, because Onderhond might still have the weirdest taste, but he's been much more succesful at spreading his taste to other users, and there are a lot of "style-over-substance" users (i dislike that word because style = substance), and they could seriously bring some tremor to a lot of these lists that have a lot of classic and arthouse appreciation.
I love the style he created with Only God Forgives and continued with The Neon Demon. If he keeps making work in this vein, or going to new levels, he will get on my list eventually. Only problem is, I'm not overly impressed by his earlier work, including Drive.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Mizoguchi "first feminist filmmaker"? I don't claim to know one way or another, but a Japanese man who started making films in the 30s, 40 years into the artform's existence? Not sure this really holds up.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

St. Gloede wrote: March 7th, 2021, 9:29 pm

Damn it, people!

I love the style he created with Only God Forgives and continued with The Neon Demon. If he keeps making work in this vein, or going to new levels, he will get on my list eventually. Only problem is, I'm not overly impressed by his earlier work, including Drive.
Man I really, really disliked Only God Forgives. I wish I'd written something about it at the time - I saw it last November but I had just started my little hiatus; maybe that film tipped me over as I saw it just before I stopped posting :lol: It actually felt very much to me like a film that honestly advocates violence - a pro-revenge, killing-is-good attitude. I've gotten a little sense of that from Drive and The Neon Demon but not so much that it overwhelmed. This just felt really, really unpleasant and immoral to me; I know it's always hard to tell a filmmaker's (or even a film's) intentions but... that's the vibe I got for sure. And I watched a bit of an interview with Refn afterwards and that didn't help matters. As punchable as QT or Bay I think. Rather surprised you've liked these films actually, they really don't seem like they'd be up your alley to me.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Teproc wrote: March 7th, 2021, 9:33 pm Mizoguchi "first feminist filmmaker"? I don't claim to know one way or another, but a Japanese man who started making films in the 30s, 40 years into the artform's existence? Not sure this really holds up.
"First feminist filmmaker to reach worldwide renown", maybe. I think Alice Guy probably had some things to say in a feminist way a bit before KM.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I think the keyword is "major", for instance Germaine Dulac is also a very respected feminist filmmaker predating him - but clearly nowhere near his popularity. The size of his films, and focus on fighting for women's right to vote, does give credence to the claim - though it is rather his films more generally focusing on the subjugation of women in Japan rather than his overtly political films that are remembered and praised.

*Only seen 1 short by Guy so can't comment there.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

OldAle1 wrote: March 7th, 2021, 9:37 pm

Man I really, really disliked Only God Forgives. I wish I'd written something about it at the time - I saw it last November but I had just started my little hiatus; maybe that film tipped me over as I saw it just before I stopped posting :lol: It actually felt very much to me like a film that honestly advocates violence - a pro-revenge, killing-is-good attitude. I've gotten a little sense of that from Drive and The Neon Demon but not so much that it overwhelmed. This just felt really, really unpleasant and immoral to me; I know it's always hard to tell a filmmaker's (or even a film's) intentions but... that's the vibe I got for sure. And I watched a bit of an interview with Refn afterwards and that didn't help matters. As punchable as QT or Bay I think. Rather surprised you've liked these films actually, they really don't seem like they'd be up your alley to me.
Bronson felt far more like it was promoting violence to me - Only God Forgives is so stylized, stripped back and visually exuberant that none of it feels real - almost as if it is visions from hell. I saw it as a surrealistic nightmare trip.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

In his 20s Mizoguchi enjoyed visiting brothels and was slashed by a call-girl, the scandal got him suspended from the studio. Once he showed his scar to his assistant and said "you can't understand women if you don't have one of these".
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

#30 (⇧9, #39)
Sidney Lumet
Image (1924-2011)

Top 1–5–10: 1–0–3

History: 3039435335172528←27

Trade Marks

Key Films:
12 Angry Men (1957) – 29 Official Lists, also on IMdb
Dog Day Afternoon (1975) – 21 Official Lists, also on IMdb
Network (1976) – 13 Official Lists, also on IMdb
Serpico (1973) – 8 Official Lists, also on IMdb
The Verdict (1982) – 7 Official Lists, also on IMdb

ImageImageImageImageImage
List of Voters (37):
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

pitchorneirda wrote: March 7th, 2021, 10:30 pm #29 (⇩3, #26)
Hayao Miyazaki
Image (1941-present)

Top 1–5–10: 0–3–5

History: 2926242017121121←29
Whaat :'( How is he dropping?! No need to further observe the countdown for me now.
frbrown

Post by frbrown »

Hayao Miyazaki
Image (1941-present)

That is a long slide :(

Also, flying is a famous Miyazaki trademark.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Of course, flying and trains are possibly the Miyazaki trademarks.
But what it does even matter now. :(
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Torgo wrote: March 7th, 2021, 11:10 pm
Hayao Miyazaki
Image (1941-present)

Whaat :'( How is he dropping?! No need to further observe the countdown for me now.
No please stay you're the one keeping this thread alive :$
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

St. Gloede wrote: March 7th, 2021, 9:27 pm Wait... What?! I push Rohmer all the way up to 21st (after a series of brilliant rewatches and finishing his filmography) and he drops?!
You must have said something really negative in those podcasts!!!!

:P
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Damn it, people!

I like The Neon Demon also much more than Drive.

Also, i don't really think it makes much sense to watch interviews with directors, and judge people on that. Like, Lars Von Trier's been misinterpreted a lot too from what he says in interviews. Good directors are sometimes a bit quirky, introverted, laid-back, weird, sometimes even to the point of being asocial or unsympathetic, and they're no isolated cases to be fair. Some directors have been known to be very difficult to work with (and I would be no exception to that, probably if i were to become a director, although you can never know for sure, but i'm a "perfectionist" so I would be quite "demanding", although i would never show alpha-male dominant behaviour towards females like some directors do).

Saying Only God Forgives promotes violence is also nonsense, or all violent movies should promote violence, and there are movies that go way further on that than Only God Forgives (like Martyrs). To be fair, some people argue the Grand Theft Auto franchise has increased violence, but I think the existence of violent video games has decreased it, because it enabled possible people who are "violent" to canalize their behaviour through video games.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

pitchorneirda wrote: March 8th, 2021, 12:01 am #26 (⇩5, #21)
Woody Allen
Image (1935-present)

Top 1–5–10: 0–1–7

History: 2621291915131714←7
Blame it on Metoo, blame it on his output after wherever-you-draw-the-line (1994? 1997? 2005? 2011?), Woody's very clearly gone from our Top 15. My most-seen director (30ish films), but it's been some time that I loved his work and I'm not really rewatching much, so .. my memory of his greatness starts to fade.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

St. Gloede wrote: March 7th, 2021, 9:48 pm

Bronson felt far more like it was promoting violence to me - Only God Forgives is so stylized, stripped back and visually exuberant that none of it feels real - almost as if it is visions from hell. I saw it as a surrealistic nightmare trip.
Refn promotes a lot “fashionized” ugly, nihilistic stuff because of its “sensorial” attraction. I could make a long list. Besides the beautified violence, he revels in misogynism and other immoral acts. There is a big difference between him and Von Trier, who explores some of the same territory while delving into human nature.
Refn, on the other hand seems to “rip off” other directors (lynch, especially, in the last two, and the TV series) for his personal pleasure, which is why I compared him to Tarantino, though Refn is more visual and really has no way with words.

Their films are the equivalents of cinematic comic books, and while both have a distinct talent for working in this vein, I don’t think very highly of their intentions or accomplishments, probably because I have very different notions of cinema as art.
Last edited by cinewest on March 8th, 2021, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

cinewest wrote: March 8th, 2021, 2:35 am
St. Gloede wrote: March 7th, 2021, 9:48 pm

Refn promotes a lot ugly stuff because of its “sensorial” attraction. I could make a long list. Besides the pleasure of violence, he revels in misogynism and other immoral acts. There is a big difference between him and Von Trier, who explores some of the same territory as he delves into human nature.
Refn, on the other hand seems to “rip off” other directors (lynch especially in the last two and TV series) for his personal pleasure, which is why I compared him to Tarantino, though Refn is more visual and really has no way with words

Their films are the equivalents of cinematic comic books, and while both have a distinct talent for working in this vein, I don’t think very highly of their intentions or accomplishment, probably because I have very different notions of cinema as art.
I don't think you could be any more wrong on this.

But than again, i can't remember ever agreeing with you on something.
tobias

Post by tobias »

St. Gloede wrote: March 7th, 2021, 9:27 pm Wait... What?! I push Rohmer all the way up to 21st (after a series of brilliant rewatches and finishing his filmography) and he drops?!
I have him at #1 and I forgot to vote. That explains some of it I guess. I don't know how many points a #1 vote is worth but it would be interesting to see if he still would have dropped and how much.

I also had Godard at #12 though I'm fairly sure that alone would not push him back into the top 25.

Edit: Btw did Rivette make the cut at all or did I just miss him?