Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Foxtrot, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Doubling the Canon 2021 Update - Phase II: Ratings

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker »

Angel Glez wrote: March 25th, 2021, 7:51 pm
Labraxas wrote: March 25th, 2021, 5:14 pm Cannot help but feel responsibility for some of these URL-issues, as a couple of my very overdue nominees keeps being mentioned.
Please do tell me if there is some sort of re-checking or problem solving I can help with, to solve these issues.
It happens every year no matter how careful we are. I'm sure H will fix it soon.
Can you confirm everything's OK? It seems I'd somehow missed Stemple Pass... Now (finally) they're at 1178 (+2) movies, which seems right.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls089692158/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/doub ... /hunziker/
This is the voice of world control. 🤖 - iCM
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

lineuphere wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 11:08 pm Hi, all.

Here is an updated link to the list of the 2021 DtC nominees for any Criticker users hereabout.

:)
Thanks for making this! Now I just have to convert my ratings to the 0-6 DTC system, tweak some and I'm done. Saves a lot of work.
lineuphere

Post by lineuphere »

Sure thing, Lonewolf.
And remember there's (at least) 80 or so deeper cut titles that will likely not show up on your PSI because they've yet to get a score. Perhaps we'll be some of their firsts!
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

Did anybody do a spreadsheet that matches their IMDb ratings to the DtC ballot by IMDb URL/id that they can share?
Current recommendation: Monday (2000)

ImageImage

Current focus: Doubling the Canon nominees, Japan, South Korea

Last.fm | RYM
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

How did a film from the year 2105 get on the ballot? One of you must have gotten an advance screener.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Melvelet wrote: March 26th, 2021, 10:05 am Did anybody do a spreadsheet that matches their IMDb ratings to the DtC ballot by IMDb URL/id that they can share?
I'm planning to.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Melvelet wrote: March 26th, 2021, 10:05 am Did anybody do a spreadsheet that matches their IMDb ratings to the DtC ballot by IMDb URL/id that they can share?
I also sort of do it, but it's based on my own ratings in my spreadsheet (out of 10, but to 1 decimal place) so it's a bit different.

If you want to do them based on your own imdb ratings, then this is what you can do:

1. Download the DTC ballot as an Excel file.
2. Export your imdb ratings as a csv file.
3. Open up the ratings file and move column E (the URL) to the front (using cut & insert cut cells functions).
4. Save your ratings file (keep it as a csv or save a copy as Excel file, doesn't matter).
5. Open up the DTC ballot and insert this formula into cell F2:

Code: Select all

=VLOOKUP(D2,ratings.csv!$A:$C,3,FALSE)
- Note: if you saved your ratings file as an Excel file, the name will be different. Also, both files need to be in the same folder on your computer for this to work properly.
6. Copy and paste that formula for the rest of the ballot in column F. Click on Calculate/Save (depending on your setup) and look for a film in the ballot you know you've rated to see if the rating shows up. Any film which you haven't rated should show up as "#N/A".

You can then see your imdb ratings in the ballot, and then give your DTC scores in column E accordingly. I usually hide column F before sending in my ballot to Angel (but I don't delete it so that it's there for reference or if I have any write-ins).

And that's it! Let me know if that works for you or not, or if something isn't clear.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

My ballot has just been Image
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
DudeLanez

Post by DudeLanez »

I have also sent my ballot.
227 seen so far
6 = 10
5 = 25
4 = 46
3 = 58
2 = 42
1 = 35
0 = 11
Image ImageImageImageImage
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

Ballot sent, only 109 films seen:

0 III
1 IIII
2 XXIV
3 XLVII
4 XXV
5 VI

Average 2.93
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

Ballot sent !! As always, I am very generous to these babies...

364/1180
Average : 4.236
6 : 88
5 : 97
4 : 86
3 : 39
2 : 24
1 : 20
0 : 10
frbrown

Post by frbrown »

Just sent my ballot.

My breakdown

0: 10
1: 26
2: 36
3: 48
4: 58
5: 47
6: 37
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Where is the iCM-list of the nominations? I can't find it in the first posts of this topic.

Edit: NM, found it on this last page. Would be useful to put it on post #2.
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

https://we.tl/t-KoKfbk2ah5

This is what I'm using. Export your IMDb ratings and copy that complete file into the tab "IMDb ratings".

On the first tab, you'll see your ratings next to the movies you've rated or "not seen" if you haven't. Note: I'm using XLOOKUP in column F of the first tab, which might not be available in older versions of Excel. I'm using Office365. Let me know if the formula doesn't work.

You can use the filters to filter on your rating so you can easily rate movies in column E. DON'T USE THE SORT OPTION. You should leave column A to D untouched, including the order, so you can only filter and before sending to Angel, set all filters to "check all" again.
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

When you thing you're done, you can see so in the third tab. The number at "Count seen" and "Count rated" should be the same then. You can also check if that number is the same as your checks on the iCM list.

If you want to check right before the deadline if you have seen some more movies from the list, you can easily re-dump your IMDb ratings in the second tab.
ICM-profile
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

joachimt wrote: March 30th, 2021, 7:19 pm Where is the iCM-list of the nominations? I can't find it in the first posts of this topic.

Edit: NM, found it on this last page. Would be useful to put it on post #2.
Done.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

joachimt wrote: March 30th, 2021, 7:33 pm
Correction:
Formula in E2 on the third tab should be =COUNTIF(Hoja1!E:E,">=0")
(I forgot the = symbol, so the 0's weren't counted)
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Ballot sent.
442 ratings.
Average 3.45
ICM-profile
zomgmouse

Post by zomgmouse »

I know this is likely incredibly dense as a question, but... when ranking, 6 is the highest and 1 is the lowest, right?
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

zomgmouse wrote: March 30th, 2021, 10:31 pm I know this is likely incredibly dense as a question, but... when ranking, 6 is the highest and 1 is the lowest, right?
6 is the highest (i.e. the best movies), and 0 is the lowest.
zomgmouse

Post by zomgmouse »

mjf314 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 10:40 pm
zomgmouse wrote: March 30th, 2021, 10:31 pm I know this is likely incredibly dense as a question, but... when ranking, 6 is the highest and 1 is the lowest, right?
Great, thanks!
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

zomgmouse wrote: March 30th, 2021, 10:53 pm
mjf314 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 10:40 pm
Great, thanks!
And based on past results, you can say you're helping a movie to get on the list if you vote 4, 5 or 6 and you're not helping it if you vote 0 to 3. There are some guidelines with these ratings, but in my head it mostly means this:

6 "OMFG! How is this not included in all those TSPDT-lists?! What were they thinking?! :satstunned: "
5 "This is very good! This really deserves to be in the spotlight, so a lot of people are going to watch this."
4 "Pretty good. Canonworthy, if you have already seen most of the other canonworthy movies. Let's give this a little push into the list."
3 "Alright, fine movie, but not like it's something that SHOULD be seen or anything. I don't really mind if other people vote it in, but I'm not going to support it."
2 "Pretty average. Let's downvote this, because this is not the stuff I expect on a quality list like DtC."
1 "Come on!! Are you serious? This is just blèh!! Next....."
0 "OMFG! How the hell could someone even consider nominating this?! What were they thinking?! :yucky: :yucky: "

Or something like that.......
ICM-profile
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

Yeah, something like that. :lol:
Original guidelines
6: I think this movie should have been in the top 500 of the original TSP list.
5: I think this movie should have placed in the bottom 500 of the original TSP list.
4: This movie deserves to place in the top half of a complementary list of 1,000 more movies.
3: This movie deserves to place in the bottom half of a complementary list of 1,000 more movies.
2: It's a good movie, but not special enough to deserve placement in the 2,000-movie canon.
1. It's an average movie, far from good enough to deserve placement on this list.
0. I dislike this movie.
have become obsolete today because TSPDT's Canon had 1000 titles and the cutoff was 3+ at the time and now the Canon has 2500 titles and the cutoff is 4-.
Even so my basic rating is still 2 so don't expect to see me among the doublers with highest ratings. :P
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

joachimt wrote: March 30th, 2021, 7:33 pm

This is what I'm using. Export your IMDb ratings and copy that complete file into the tab "IMDb ratings".

On the first tab, you'll see your ratings next to the movies you've rated or "not seen" if you haven't. Note: I'm using XLOOKUP in column F of the first tab, which might not be available in older versions of Excel. I'm using Office365. Let me know if the formula doesn't work.
Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I was hoping for :)
Should also be added to the second post imo (maybe as an attachment/more permanent link)

Doesn't work in OpenOffice Clac unfortunately, I will try with Excel on my other pc

ImageImage

Last.fm | RYM
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

joachimt wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:51 am And based on past results, you can say you're helping a movie to get on the list if you vote 4, 5 or 6 and you're not helping it if you vote 0 to 3. There are some guidelines with these ratings, but in my head it mostly means this:

6 "OMFG! How is this not included in all those TSPDT-lists?! What were they thinking?! :satstunned: "
5 "This is very good! This really deserves to be in the spotlight, so a lot of people are going to watch this."
4 "Pretty good. Canonworthy, if you have already seen most of the other canonworthy movies. Let's give this a little push into the list."
3 "Alright, fine movie, but not like it's something that SHOULD be seen or anything. I don't really mind if other people vote it in, but I'm not going to support it."
2 "Pretty average. Let's downvote this, because this is not the stuff I expect on a quality list like DtC."
1 "Come on!! Are you serious? This is just blèh!! Next....."
0 "OMFG! How the hell could someone even consider nominating this?! What were they thinking?! :yucky: :yucky: "

Or something like that.......
Except canon-ity isn't really a criterion (just subjective enjoyment). So the ideal 6 has an excessive runtime and less than 20 checks tehe

ImageImage

Last.fm | RYM
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Melvelet wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:38 pm tehe
Ah, the Man of the Hour is around. :D Please check your private messages. ;)
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Melvelet wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:30 pm Doesn't work in OpenOffice Clac unfortunately, I will try with Excel on my other pc
That's probably because it's using some relatively new formulas. If you need it, I can change it so it's more compatible. Let me know....
ICM-profile
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

The way I personally look at the ratings is like this

6: I want it to absolutely definitely be in the list
5: I want it very much in the list
4: want it in the list
3; I’m fine if it isn’t in the list, but would be okay if it is too
2: don’t want it in the list
1: very much don’t want it in the list
0: I absolutely definitely don’t want it in the list
With the list I mean the DtC list.
AB537

Post by AB537 »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 6:36 pm The way I personally look at the ratings is like this

6: I want it to absolutely definitely be in the list
5: I want it very much in the list
4: want it in the list
3; I’m fine if it isn’t in the list, but would be okay if it is too
2: don’t want it in the list
1: very much don’t want it in the list
0: I absolutely definitely don’t want it in the list
With the list I mean the DtC list.
This is almost exactly my view as well. My rankings process also pretty explicitly incorporates whether I think the film would enhance or detract from the quality of the existing/ongoing DtC list, of which I've seen a statistically significant minority.
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

joachimt wrote: March 31st, 2021, 5:59 pm
Melvelet wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:30 pm Doesn't work in OpenOffice Clac unfortunately, I will try with Excel on my other pc
That's probably because it's using some relatively new formulas. If you need it, I can change it so it's more compatible. Let me know....
Would be preferable if it's not too much effort :)

ImageImage

Last.fm | RYM
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Melvelet wrote: March 31st, 2021, 7:26 pm
VLOOKUP should work in place of XLOOKUP.

Did my method above not work for you Melvelet?
🧚‍♂️🦫
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Melvelet wrote: March 31st, 2021, 7:26 pm
This should work for you.
https://we.tl/t-78MzaThXtd
ICM-profile
zomgmouse

Post by zomgmouse »

Thanks all! I was doing my ratings more like how much I like the film rather than in terms of how I would like it to appear on the list. Maybe I'll go through and change them.
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

Status report

The players (17):
beavis
ChrisReynolds
cinephage
DudeLanez
filmbantha
flavo5000
frbrown
greennui
joachimt
Mifune
Onderhond
Perception de Ambiguity
RolandKirkSunglasses
Silga
sol
zhangalan
zzzorf

Average number of voted films per voter and average rating overall:
272-3,51 (last 5 years average: 3,34)

Top voters:
beavis-578
joachimt-442
flavo5000-422
Perception de Ambiguity-397

Highest average rating:
greennui-4,29
cinephage-4,24
Silga-4,06
Perception de Ambiguity-3,72

Lowest average rating:
DudeLanez-2,92
RolandKirkSunglasses-2,96
ChrisReynolds-2,97
Mifune-3,15

Most voted films of each decade:
Suspense-12
The Man Who Laughs-12
Arigatô-san-11
Brute Force-14
Die Brücke-12
Charade-15
Hausu-14
Beetle Juice-15
Pi-15
Road to Perdition-16
Kimi no na wa.-14

Films without a single vote:
Spoiler
...und deine Liebe auch
A Mordida
Abolição
Aila, Pohjolan tytär
Akenfield
Alone in the Wilderness Part II
Anantaram
And Then We Danced
Ángel de fuego
Angry Inuk
Ani to sono imoto
Áo lua Hà Dông
Appointment in Honduras
Avaze gonjeshk-ha
Ba shan ye yu
Bazi
Belyy Bim Chernoe ukho
Black Is... Black Ain't
Body Rock
Buddies
Central Park
Cities of Gold and Mirrors
Days of Waiting
Deformer
Der Engel mit dem Saitenspiel
Die andere Seite
Dominion
Don Cesare di Bazan
Dood water
Duct Tape Forever
Dvadtsat shest komissarov
Dzien swira
Dzma
El silencio de otros
El viaje a ninguna parte
Exil Shanghai
Eye of God
Fata Morgana
Fiamma che non si spegne
From the Four Corners
Fuori dal giorno
Glória
Gondola
Grauzone
Gun Hill Road
Guns
Hjertestart
Huo shan qing xue
I topi grigi
I'd Climb the Highest Mountain
Igra ljubavi
Ijaazat
Il Cristo proibito
Il dono
Il ne suffit pas que Dieu soit avec les pauvres
Il peccato
Infancia clandestina
Ise Yarar Bir Sey
Jibun no ana no nakade
Jirô monogatari
Jivaro
Katka-bumazhnyy ranet
Khomreh
Kirk Douglas: Before I Forget
Kirmes
Kôge - Ichibu: Waremokô no shô
Kôge - Nibu: Mitsumata no shô
Koko-di koko-da
La casa Emak Bakia
La fille du puisatier
La lengua de las mariposas
La Noche de Enfrente
La parmigiana
La tía Tula
La visita
L'Acadie, l'Acadie
Lage Raho Munna Bhai
L'amant double
L'amour d'une femme
Las aguas bajan turbias
Lasermannen
Le stagioni del nostro amore
Lettres d'amour
Los peloteros
Luk e-san
Makala
Mama, ich lebe
Martin pleure
Mascara
Massacre
Mechta
Meng xing xue wei ting
Nakinureta haru no onna yo
Ne croyez surtout pas que je hurle
Nebulosan
Nesting Dolls
Nunca pasa nada
Odissea
Once More
Ordet
Ordnung
Orgullo
Osenniye svadby
Passe ton bac d'abord...
Passing Strangers
Porte aperte
Praznik
Pre istine
Prebroyavane na divite zaytzi
Pushwagner
Pytel blech
Rasendes Grün mit Pferden
Reap the Wild Wind
Reka
Requiem for Sally
Reunion
River Yar
Ruby Gentry
Semnadtsat mgnoveniy vesny
Skate Kitchen
Smiley's People
Spring Night Summer Night
Stemple Pass
Taekwondo
Tepenin Ardi
Terra madre
Tharlo
The Churning of Kalki
The Decay of Fiction
The Half-Breed
The Illiac Passion
The Kidnappers
The Other Side
The Road to Glory
The Salt Mines
The Syrian Bride
The Tattered Dress
The United States of America
The Young Pope
Through an Open Window
Tifusari
Tout un hiver sans feu
Tragica notte
Ulica Graniczna
Un homme marche dans la ville
Usuzumi no sakura
Vagabunda
Vaveragrogh
Via Mala
Vigil in the Night
Voskreseniye
Vrah skrývá tvár
Watchmen
West Indies
Xue er
Yomigaeru kinrô
Zero Patience
Zugvögel - ... einmal nach Inari

NEW! Excerpt from the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
(please check for any mistakes)

Remember that you can vote even if you have not participated in the nomination phase.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Angel Glez wrote: April 4th, 2021, 9:58 am NEW! Excerpt from the spreadsheet:
Wow; that's a really good idea, Angel. :thumbsup: Are you going to give us a different excerpt every week?
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

sol wrote: April 4th, 2021, 10:03 am
Angel Glez wrote: April 4th, 2021, 9:58 am NEW! Excerpt from the spreadsheet:
Wow; that's a really good idea, Angel. :thumbsup: Are you going to give us a different excerpt every week?
That's the idea (if nobody objects).
cayh

Post by cayh »

Just sent my ballot
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

Angel, do you still have a list of the holdovers from last year and did you originally track who nominated which movie? Asking for additional stats for this month's challenge

ImageImage

Last.fm | RYM
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

Melvelet wrote: April 4th, 2021, 2:55 pm Angel, do you still have a list of the holdovers from last year and did you originally track who nominated which movie? Asking for additional stats for this month's challenge
tobias

Post by tobias »

Sent my ballot. Ratings probably quite inflated by the old Rohmer-mania but even though I forgot to nominate anything there were a number of films in I would have definitely nominated if noone else had. So thank you to these humble spirits, whoever they may be :)