Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Monday, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Rankdown III - TSPDT Top 100 - Congrats to the winner!

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Are these your guesses or your votes? B)

The 5 I would have kept from this group are:

Persona
Last Year At Marienbad
Chinatown
Sansho The Balif
The Third Man (because we need more crime films, and what are my choices, really?)*

*one of my friends gifted me a criterion copy of Battle of Algiers, but I haven’t got around to watching it yet, if only because my dvds have all been in storage for the past 5 years.

I like the other 3 well as well but just not enough.

As for the TSP top 10, the 5 I would keep would be

8 1/2
Citizen Kane
The Godfather
Seven Samurai

But there are at least 30 in the top 100 that would be on my own list of essential cinema, and I can understand why most are there from a historical context.
Last edited by cinewest on March 4th, 2021, 7:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

These look like my cuts :ph43r:
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Onderhond wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 1:39 pm These look like my cuts :ph43r:
You went after Vertigo much too late in the game...
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

cinewest wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 1:58 pm You went after Vertigo much too late in the game...
Well, there were way worse films than Vertigo when we started the game.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Onderhond wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 1:59 pm
cinewest wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 1:58 pm You went after Vertigo much too late in the game...
Well, there were way worse films than Vertigo when we started the game.
To me it's more of a game than a collective film assessment, and as such, I have played it as much to advance my most popular favorites as to prevent the most popular films I like least from winning.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

cinewest wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 2:12 pm To me it's more of a game than a collective film assessment, and as such, I have played it as much to advance my most popular favorites as to prevent the most popular films I like least from winning.
Yeah well, I disliked about 90% of the entire field, so that just wasn't very practical.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Onderhond wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 2:14 pm
cinewest wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 2:12 pm To me it's more of a game than a collective film assessment, and as such, I have played it as much to advance my most popular favorites as to prevent the most popular films I like least from winning.
Yeah well, I disliked about 90% of the entire field, so that just wasn't very practical.
I guess I should feel thrilled that 3 of my top 30 on this list made it to the top 9, then.
Last edited by cinewest on March 3rd, 2021, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

The results are in! At this time we have 4 films that will advance to the final round, 2 that have been eliminated, and 3 that will go head to head in one more secret ballot before the public vote stage begins. I thought it might be fun to drip these out to build just a bit of suspense :)

Without further ado, the first film advancing to the final round, with only 4/13 cuts is:

#19 (Advancing with 4 cuts) Persona (1966)
Directed by: Ingmar Bergman

And the first film eliminated, with 8/13 cuts is:

#15 (Eliminated with 8 cuts) Taxi Driver (1976)
Directed by: Martin Scorsese
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

beasterne wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 2:48 pm I thought it might be fun to drip these out to build just a bit of suspense :)
Depends how fast the drip is (this feels slow and painful, tbh). Not that I really thought Taxi Driver had a chance of winning this, but I'd really prefer if you just to revealed it all already so that we can get to the next private vote. :shrug:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

sol wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 3:02 pm
beasterne wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 2:48 pm I thought it might be fun to drip these out to build just a bit of suspense :)
Depends how fast the drip is (this feels slow and painful, tbh). Not that I really thought Taxi Driver had a chance of winning this, but I'd really prefer if you just to revealed it all already so that we can get to the next private vote. :shrug:
That's fair! I already have my drafts ready to go, so I'll speed it up from here.

The next set of saved and eliminated films is:

#13 (Advancing with 5 cuts) Ladri di biciclette (1948)
[Bicycle Thieves]

Directed by: Vittorio De Sica

#47 (Eliminated with 7 cuts) The Third Man (1949)
Directed by: Carol Reed
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Damn did not see The Third Man being cut :(
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

:satstunned:

I mean, I already eliminated all of the films that I didn't want to see win this, but I never thought that both of my vetoes would end up being pointless.

I really need to rewatch Sansho the Bailiff, I guess - because I don't remember it being one quarter the film that The Third Man is. :shrug:

And to all you noir-haters out there:

:folded:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

The last two films that have advanced to the final round are:

#75 (Advancing with 5 cuts) La battaglia di Algeri (1966)
[The Battle of Algiers]

Directed by: Gillo Pontecorvo

#99 (Advancing with 5 cuts) L'année dernière à Marienbad (1961)
[Last Year at Marienbad]

Directed by: Alain Resnais
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

So Sansho the Bailiff, Chinatown and Vertigo in a deadlock.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Very fruitful results. I think I deserve a samurai emoticon for this round.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

RolandKirkSunglasses wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 3:22 pm So Sansho the Bailiff, Chinatown and Vertigo in a deadlock.
Correct--Sansho the Bailiff, Chinatown and Vertigo are tied with 6 votes each. This means that one will advance, and two will be cut.

At this point, we will have the head-to-head, where we will need to vote for 2 of these 3 to cut (or, one to save if that is easier). Please pm me your votes for this head to head as soon as you are able!
Last edited by beasterne on March 3rd, 2021, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

PM sent. Happy to see both Marienbad and Algiers make it. I was tossing up which of these to make my fifth save, and I obviously made the right choice since they both made the top four. ^_^
Image Image Image
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

A very surprising result. I thought De Sica had totally fallen out of fashion (even more than Fellini, who I prefer), and I guess I really need to see Battle of Algiers- just not sure when I'll be able to, given the way my life is at the moment.
Absolutely stoked that the two most original films (Persona and Maraienbad) both made it to the final 5, and maybe if the two crime films split the vote (I'm for Chinatown), Sansho will make it, which won't disappoint me.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

PM sent.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Guess I gotta rewatch Bicycle Thieves...
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

The winner of the head to head is confirmed! I haven't received a pm from Fergenaprido yet, but we actually don't need it because the majority of voters have elected to save Vertigo!

For posterity, Fergenaprido can still pm me his selection and I can update the final rankings, but we don't need to delay moving the game forward at this point. Also, here is the full ballot phase results for anyone who is curious. A 1 means a vote to cut, and a 0 means a vote to save:
secret ballot results
Films/Players Vertigo Ladri di biciclette Taxi Driver Persona The Third Man Chinatown La battaglia di Algeri Sanshô dayû L'année dernière à Marienbad
Coryn 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1
beasterne 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 0
Fergenaprido 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1
OldAle1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0
brokenface 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0
jeff_v 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 1
Obgeoff 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
blocho 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1
Onderhond 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0
perceval 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0
sol 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0
RolandKirkSunglasses 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0
toromash 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1
Totals 6 5 8 4 7 6 5 6 5

Head to head votes to save:

Vertigo:
Coryn
beasterne
OldAle1
brokenface
jeff_v
blocho
sol

Chinatown:
Obgeoff
RolandKirkSunglasses
toromash
Fergenaprido

Sansho the Bailiff:
Onderhond
perceval
So now we have reached the final stage of the game: The public cutting stage! During this round, each participant will vote publicly for the one film of those remaining they wish to cut. This round will be much simpler than the last game since there are no vetoes left in the game. In this round you can vote at any time, it does not need to go in the order from the previous rounds. Once a film has received a majority of votes, it can be automatically cut and we can move on to the next round. If there are any ties, we will have a public head-to-head vote to determine which film is cut.

Without further ado, the final five:

Vertigo
Ladri di biciclette 1
Persona
La battaglia di Algeri
L'année dernière à Marienbad

I'm kicking things off by voting for Bicycle Thieves. It's of course a great film, but I like the other four just a bit more. It's also the only film of these five that I voted to cut the previous round, so I'm cutting it again here.
Last edited by beasterne on March 4th, 2021, 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
perceval

Post by perceval »

Vertigo
Ladri di biciclette 1
Persona
La battaglia di Algeri 1
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Vertigo 1
Ladri di biciclette 1
Persona
La battaglia di Algeri 1

I'll be bulldogging Vertigo.
Last edited by Onderhond on March 3rd, 2021, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RolandKirkSunglasses

Vertigo 2
Ladri di biciclette 1
Persona
La battaglia di Algeri 1
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Vertigo 2
Ladri di biciclette 2
Persona
La battaglia di Algeri 1

Bike Stealers was the only one I didn't vote to keep; like all the others it's a great film, but it's been longer since I've seen it and I'm not super-keen on Italian neorealism - it's the one most likely to take a dive in my estimation and least-likely to improve on next viewing.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

I'm voting out L'année dernière à Marienbad

I had 2 unwatched movies at the one but last stage of the game: Sansho & Marienbad
Sansho was better than I expected (liked it more than Ugetsu), Marienbad on the other hand ...
Another example of French boredom.
On a general level you can seesome resemblances with Persona (few characters, spiritual, ...) but Persona does everything so much better, it's an out of this world experience while L'année derniere a Marienbad was just boring conversations in French. Even the cinematography was uninteresting to me and the acting was nothing above average.

Vertigo 2
Ladri di biciclette 2
Persona
La battaglia di Algeri 1
L'année dernière à Marienbad 1
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

beasterne wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 9:56 pm The winner of the head to head is confirmed! I haven't received a pm from Fergenaprido yet, but we actually don't need it because the majority of voters have elected to save Vertigo!

For posterity, Fergenaprido can still pm me his selection and I can update the final rankings, but we don't need to delay moving the game forward at this point. Also, here is the full ballot phase results for anyone who is curious. A 1 means a vote to cut, and a 0 means a vote to save:
I PMed you 6 hours ago by replying to my previous PM. Maybe that's why you missed it? It's in my Sent Messages and not my Outbox, which means you should have received it (and already opened it?)
Fergenaprido wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 4:07 pm This time I save Chinatown and cut Sansho and Vertigo.
Edit: Nevermind, it seems that by replying to my message, I sent it to myself instead of you. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
What an odd setup.

Anyway, that's my vote above.
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

For the first time in this game I vote tactically. Persona is my least favourite of the five but I sense a vote for it is a wasted vote so will instead look to protect my two favourites.

Vertigo 3
Ladri di biciclette 2
Persona
La battaglia di Algeri 1
L'année dernière à Marienbad 1
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I'm voting to cut Marienbad. It was the unseen film of the last round for me, and I did not enjoy it.

Vertigo 3
Ladri di biciclette 2
Persona
La battaglia di Algeri 1
L'année dernière à Marienbad 2
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Vertigo 3
Ladri di biciclette 3
Persona
La battaglia di Algeri 1

I'll go for the crime flick.
toromash

Post by toromash »

Vertigo 4
Ladri di biciclette 3
Persona
La battaglia di Algeri 1
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Fergenaprido wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 10:18 pm
beasterne wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 9:56 pm The winner of the head to head is confirmed! I haven't received a pm from Fergenaprido yet, but we actually don't need it because the majority of voters have elected to save Vertigo!

I PMed you 6 hours ago by replying to my previous PM. Maybe that's why you missed it? It's in my Sent Messages and not my Outbox, which means you should have received it (and already opened it?)
Fergenaprido wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 4:07 pm This time I save Chinatown and cut Sansho and Vertigo.
Edit: Nevermind, it seems that by replying to my message, I sent it to myself instead of you. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
What an odd setup.

Anyway, that's my vote above.
oh, that explains that! Thank you for the explanation, and I'll update the totals above to reflect your vote to save Chinatown last round :)
jeff_v

Post by jeff_v »

Vertigo 4
Ladri di biciclette 3
Persona
La battaglia di Algeri 1
L'année dernière à Marienbad 3
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Vertigo 4
Ladri di biciclette 3
Persona
La battaglia di Algeri 1
L'année dernière à Marienbad 4
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Vertigo 4
Ladri di biciclette 3
Persona
La battaglia di Algeri 2
L'année dernière à Marienbad 4
Image Image Image
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

What happens now?
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

5 people who voted for Algeri or Ladri to choose for either Vertigo or Marienbad to go out ?
Just an idea so wait for beasterne to start.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

#1 against #99:

Consummate 50’s romantic crime melodrama with an objectified femme fatal versus a 60’s Avante garde objectified deconstruction of romantic melodrama.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Coryn wrote: March 4th, 2021, 8:22 am 5 people who voted for Algeri or Ladri to choose for either Vertigo or Marienbad to go out ?
Just an idea so wait for beasterne to start.
Yes this is right, it’s a head to head between Vertigo and Marienbad. Technically anyone who voted for one of the two films could revote for the other, but I’m not sure why they would. So anyway, here’s this head to head:

Vertigo 4
L'année dernière à Marienbad 5

I’m switching my vote to Marienbad. It’s a close one, but I just prefer Vertigo that little bit more.
RolandKirkSunglasses

I'm 99% certain Sol and OldAle will cut Marienbad