Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Monday, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Rankdown III - TSPDT Top 100 - Congrats to the winner!

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

blocho wrote: February 27th, 2021, 2:05 am I'll veto The Godfather and The Seventh Seal.
Out of nowhere! :worship: :worship: :worship:
jeff_v

Post by jeff_v »

Is that allowed --two vetoes in one round?
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Absolutely. No rules against using both your vetoes in one round. Don’t think it’s happened before now though.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

blocho wrote: February 27th, 2021, 2:05 am I'll veto The Godfather and The Seventh Seal.
You just put Sol in control of the game
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

I really thought someone would veto Persona so I could veto Shoah but since nobody did I will veto Persona myself.

It's the one and only Bergman I have favorited, his other work gets nowhere near Persona, I even cut Fanny och Alexander before.

Persona is such an amazing experience though and it's an almost perfect film in my books. It's simple yet so complex, the cinematography is wonderfull and it's my final veto.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Coryn wrote: February 27th, 2021, 1:20 pm I really thought someone would veto Persona so I could veto Shoah but since nobody did I will veto Persona myself.

It's the one and only Bergman I have favorited, his other work gets nowhere near Persona, I even cut Fanny och Alexander before.

Persona is such an amazing experience though and it's an almost perfect film in my books. It's simple yet so complex, the cinematography is wonderfull and it's my final veto.
For me, Bergman has made more films in the 8.5 - 10 range than any other director (at least a dozen), and I agree that Persona is one of his very best. I like films of his from every era, and he is one of the few filmmakers who made very compelling films throughout his career, even as his style changed along the way.
Last edited by cinewest on February 27th, 2021, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff_v

Post by jeff_v »

I'll veto Taxi Driver.
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

Looks like one more round of cuts and several wasted vetoes are on the horizon.
RolandKirkSunglasses

I think 19 films remaining means we'll have another round of cutting, will need beasterne to confirm.

2 Vertigo
7 The Godfather
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
19 Persona
29 Zerkalo
39 The General
41 Rear Window
46 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
55 Chinatown
56 M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
73 Det sjunde inseglet
75 La battaglia di Algeri
80 Banshun
91 Sanshô dayû
99 L'année dernière à Marienbad

OldAle1 has 1 veto remaining, Sol has 2.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

RolandKirkSunglasses wrote: February 27th, 2021, 6:21 pm I think 19 films remaining means we'll have another round of cutting, will need beasterne to confirm.

2 Vertigo
7 The Godfather
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
19 Persona
29 Zerkalo
39 The General
41 Rear Window
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
55 Chinatown
73 Det sjunde inseglet
80 Banshun
91 Sanshô dayû

OldAle1 has 1 veto remaining, Sol has 2.
Yes, you’re exactly right, there is one more cutting round. Since all 13 players can make a cut with 6 films remaining, we can start round 9. I’m on mobile right now, but I’ll get the OP updated as soon as I can.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

After saving a Bergman last round I'll be the one cutting

Det sjunde inseglet
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

I really didn’t anticipate that I’d cut this one 4 times this game, but I am once again cutting Stalker.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Sol or Oldale to save the day ? :rolleyes:
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Only 12 of the remaining 19 haven’t yet been touched (now 12 of 17), so it will be interesting to see which untouchables remain so after this round, and which (if any) persecuted films survive (Stalker? Mulholland Drive?).

Of course, only Sol and/or Old Ale will have a say in that, now, moreover the power to bring any film back from the dead for the vote, where enough fans could outweigh its detractors.

The General is clearly the most popular from the 20’a
As is M from the 30’s, and Mulholland Drive has been the only survivor among films made in the last 40 years.
The other 16 were all made within a 30 year period.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I'll cut Zerkalo. Of the 5 remaining films that I've rated 7.4, this is the only one that I would be really bothered by it winning overall, so that's how I'm breaking the tie.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Fergenaprido wrote: February 28th, 2021, 1:49 am I'll cut Zerkalo. Of the 5 remaining films that I've rated 7.4, this is the only one that I would be really bothered by it winning overall, so that's how I'm breaking the tie.
Aww man I was just thinking how cool it would be if this ended up winning...
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

prodigalgodson wrote: February 28th, 2021, 6:15 am
Fergenaprido wrote: February 28th, 2021, 1:49 am I'll cut Zerkalo. Of the 5 remaining films that I've rated 7.4, this is the only one that I would be really bothered by it winning overall, so that's how I'm breaking the tie.
Aww man I was just thinking how cool it would be if this ended up winning...
I’m kind of surprised it lasted so long without being threatened. Probably the most “difficult” Tarkovsky, random he is not easy to begin with. There are a few other surprises, as well, for different reasons (no way I would have predicted the Italian and Japanese choices over various others from those two countries, for example).

I still have a couple I’m pulling for, but find it hard to imagine that either will get too much further.

With two vetoes remaining, Sol should be able to have a profound influence on the result, but it OldAle decides to save Stalker, there may be enough fans to push it into the top 5 during the vote.

In general, the only way to have success at this game is to pick your least controversial favorite (mine is still alive) and do your best to maneuver it into the winner’s circle
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

So, I have been thinking about what we could do for the next rankdown. I originally suggested the Inflation Adjusted Box Office Top 100, but I'm retracting that since there are actually 18 films in there that have already appeared on at least one rankdown. The objective to me would be to find a list with as little crossover as possible while featuring films that most participants would have seen.

There weren't any great choices, so I got creative and assembled the 100 Most Checked Films on Zero Official Lists.

I don't know how suitable the list is. I have a few gaps on it myself, but very easy gaps to fill from movies in my collection and available on streaming services.

Alternatively, if there's too much recent crap, I could try to generate a pre-2000s or pre-1990s list of 100 Most Checked Films on Zero Official Lists.

Here are the other lists that I researched and their entries that have already appeared in one or more rankdowns:
Spoiler
Action A-Z Top 100 Films - 2 repeated films

BFI's 100 Science Fiction Films - 7 repeated films

Total Sci-Fi's 100 Greatest SF Films - 7 repeated films

TSPDT's 100 Essential Noirs - 7 repeated films

They Shoot Zombies Top 100 - 8 repeated films

Quentin Tarantino's Coolest Films - 8 repeated films

BFI's 100 Westerns - 9 repeated films

Tim Dirk's Most Controversial Films - 11 repeated films

Cannes Palme d'Or - 12 repeated films

TSPDT #101-200 - 17 repeated films

Inflation Adjusted Box Office Top 100 - 18 repeated films

iCheckMovies – Most Checked Top 100 - 21 repeated films
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I will cut The Godfather, which is along with Chinatown one of the only two films left that I'm not in love with.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

sol wrote: February 28th, 2021, 12:33 pm So, I have been thinking about what we could do for the next rankdown. I originally suggested the Inflation Adjusted Box Office Top 100, but I'm retracting that since there are actually 18 films in there that have already appeared on at least one rankdown. The objective to me would be to find a list with as little crossover as possible while featuring films that most participants would have seen.

There weren't any great choices, so I got creative and assembled the 100 Most Checked Films on Zero Official Lists.

I don't know how suitable the list is. I have a few gaps on it myself, but very easy gaps to fill from movies in my collection and available on streaming services.

Alternatively, if there's too much recent crap, I could try to generate a pre-2000s or pre-1990s list of 100 Most Checked Films on Zero Official Lists.

Here are the other lists that I researched and their entries that have already appeared in one or more rankdowns:
Spoiler

I DEFINITELY would not participate in a Most-Checked-0-Lists rankdown; I've only seen 1/3 of those and have no intention of wasting my time on many more. Not that my interest should be any significant factor, or anybody's in particular - maybe such a list would bring in a whole new crowd that watches more mainstream recent stuff than I do, and that might be fun to watch if not participate in. I don't really have any particular ideas other than wishing we could pick a list that isn't too heavily 21st-century biased, and also less American. Of course that makes it more difficult to get something that a large number of people can participate in but...dunno what else to say. If I had to pick one of the choices you bring up, I guess I'd say the Tim Dirks list has the most appeal, though I have quite a few to see from that list as well - but in this case I actually want to see a good chunk of them.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

OldAle1 wrote: February 28th, 2021, 12:55 pm I DEFINITELY would not participate in a Most-Checked-0-Lists rankdown; I've only seen 1/3 of those and have no intention of wasting my time on many more.
What about if I tried to pull a Most-Checked-0-Lists pre-1990 list together?

There are certainly quite a few films that I am not keen one seeing from the list (Friends with Benefits? The Lion King sequel?) but there's also a bunch of stuff there that I have heard good things about and could do with the push to finally see them.
OldAle1 wrote: February 28th, 2021, 12:55 pm If I had to pick one of the choices you bring up, I guess I'd say the Tim Dirks list has the most appeal, though I have quite a few to see from that list as well - but in this case I actually want to see a good chunk of them.
I'm at just below 90% on the Tim Dirks list, so it would be one of the easiest for me to participate in... but I would prefer something with less than 11 films overlap (but I guess in percentage terms, it's less than 10%, so sorta acceptable).
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Why aren't participants quoting this section? :( I think I have it correct and up-to-date. Up next is brokenface.
remaining films
2 Vertigo
7 The Godfather
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
19 Persona
29 Zerkalo
39 The General
41 Rear Window
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
55 Chinatown
73 Det sjunde inseglet
80 Banshun
91 Sanshô dayû
Selection Order
1. Coryn - 0 veto remaining
2. beasterne - 0 vetoes remaining
3. Fergenaprido - 0 vetoes remaining
4. OldAle1 - 1 veto remaining
5. brokenface - 0 vetoes remaining
6. jeff_v - 0 veto remaining
7. Obgeoff - 0 vetoes remaining
8. blocho - 0 vetoes remaining
9. Onderhond - 0 vetoes remaining
10. perceval - 0 vetoes remaining
11. sol - 2 vetoes remaining
12. RolandKirkSunglasses - 0 veto remaining
13. toromash - 0 vetoes remaining
Image Image Image
AB537

Post by AB537 »

sol wrote: February 28th, 2021, 12:33 pm So, I have been thinking about what we could do for the next rankdown. I originally suggested the Inflation Adjusted Box Office Top 100, but I'm retracting that since there are actually 18 films in there that have already appeared on at least one rankdown. The objective to me would be to find a list with as little crossover as possible while featuring films that most participants would have seen.

Spoiler

I think our best bet would be to create a custom list, but have to agree with OldAle on the top 100 checks on 0 lists option. I did find 10 unchecked movies on it that I'd actually seen (mostly stuff seen in theatres a long time ago that didn't stand out) but that only gets me to 42/100 with little incentive to seek out most others.

Another option might be something like top 100 films on TSPDT that haven't appeared in a previous rankdown? Hopefully that would provide a list where lots of interested people have seen most of the films already, and would probably lean heavily towards non-English language content due to the previous AFI rankdown.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

AB537 wrote: February 28th, 2021, 3:10 pm
I think our best bet would be to create a custom list, but have to agree with OldAle on the top 100 checks on 0 lists option. I did find 10 unchecked movies on it that I'd actually seen (mostly stuff seen in theatres a long time ago that didn't stand out) but that only gets me to 42/100 with little incentive to seek out most others.

Another option might be something like top 100 films on TSPDT that haven't appeared in a previous rankdown? Hopefully that would provide a list where lots of interested people have seen most of the films already, and would probably lean heavily towards non-English language content due to the previous AFI rankdown.
The custom list idea was floated before - maybe by me, in any case I was for it - but it didn't seem to gain much traction. The way I would do it if I were solely in charge would be to ask people to pick 10 (or 8, or 12, etc, whatever number works best) films each from their own favorites lists that haven't been done before, or maybe have only been on one rankdown, and just ask that people try to pick films that have a reasonable chance of having been seen or that might get seen during the challenge; i.e. don't pick a 6-hour film with 100 checks. I think this could be fun and would certainly offer the possibility of a more unique rankdown than we'd see otherwise.

Another possibility that attracts me is a rankdown of just well-known shorts or short features - say, nothing over 60 minutes. This would hopefully solve some of the problem of getting people to watch stuff during the rankdown. We could probably do the shortest films from the TSP lists or make a custom list.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

10 favorites ... I wouldn't know what to do :D
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Onderhond wrote: February 28th, 2021, 4:03 pm 10 favorites ... I wouldn't know what to do :D
W
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

oh what'd I do there. Trying to do too many things at once I think. Umm, now I don't even remember what I wrote. Doesn't matter much.
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

sol wrote: February 28th, 2021, 1:06 pm Why aren't participants quoting this section? :( I think I have it correct and up-to-date. Up next is brokenface.
Thanks! Getting slightly lost as to what's left.

I'll cut Rear Window. Is obviously great and i do always enjoy it, but it's the lesser of the 2 Hitchcocks left
remaining films
2 Vertigo
7 The Godfather
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
19 Persona
29 Zerkalo
39 The General
41 Rear Window
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
55 Chinatown
73 Det sjunde inseglet
80 Banshun
91 Sanshô dayû
Selection Order
jeff_v

Post by jeff_v »

I'll cut Dr. Strangelove, mainly because I don't want to cut anything else.
remaining films
2 Vertigo
7 The Godfather
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
19 Persona
29 Zerkalo
39 The General
41 Rear Window
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
55 Chinatown
73 Det sjunde inseglet
80 Banshun
91 Sanshô dayû
Selection Order
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

Taxi Driver is my choice to cut.
remaining films
2 Vertigo
7 The Godfather
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
19 Persona
29 Zerkalo
39 The General
41 Rear Window
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
55 Chinatown
73 Det sjunde inseglet
80 Banshun
91 Sanshô dayû
Selection Order
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Interesting that only 9 films haven’t been touched, and half of them are non-English films from the bottom half of the TSP list.

Am curious as to how these 5 have made it so far. Are they films trending upward in their appraisal, or is it the particular gestalt of this group of players that has uplifted them? Or perhaps certain players haven’t seen them, and they have simply escaped?
Last edited by cinewest on March 1st, 2021, 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I watched Banshun a couple of nights ago, and it's an easy cut for me. I see some merit in the movie (there's an argument scene at the hour mark that's masterful), but nothing can overcome some of the bizarre choices made by the actors. Perhaps something is lost in translation or very particular to Japanese postwar culture. Even so, there's something deeply weird about an adult discussing the most serious topics while giggling like a six year old.
remaining films
2 Vertigo
7 The Godfather
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
19 Persona
29 Zerkalo
39 The General
41 Rear Window
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
55 Chinatown
73 Det sjunde inseglet
80 Banshun
91 Sanshô dayû
Selection Order
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

I was hoping Banshun would continue sneaking in under the radar. blocho has managed to cut the two Ozu films on the list.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Obgeoff wrote: March 1st, 2021, 8:32 am I was hoping Banshun would continue sneaking in under the radar. blocho has managed to cut the two Ozu films on the list.
Along with a couple of other films, this one probably lasted longer than it would have if it had not escaped being seen.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

The absolute lowest rating are gone now, so let's move on to 1/5 films. My next cut is Vertigo then. Hitchcock is my poster child of classic boredom. His films are full of winks, every little thing needs to be explained, horrible projections to avoid going outside and though I generally prefer color over black and white, the colors in Hitchcock's films look horrendous. Also James Stewart is just a terrible, terrible actor. Chop!
remaining films
2 Vertigo
7 The Godfather
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
19 Persona
29 Zerkalo
39 The General
41 Rear Window
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
55 Chinatown
73 Det sjunde inseglet
80 Banshun
91 Sanshô dayû
Selection Order
RolandKirkSunglasses

Vertigo was going to be my next cut, everytime I watch it I feel like Gavin Elster should be plotting world domination.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Onderhond wrote: March 1st, 2021, 8:58 am The absolute lowest rating are gone now, so let's move on to 1/5 films. My next cut is Vertigo then. Hitchcock is my poster child of classic boredom. His films are full of winks, every little thing needs to be explained, horrible projections to avoid going outside and though I generally prefer color over black and white, the colors in Hitchcock's films look horrendous. Also James Stewart is just a terrible, terrible actor. Chop!
remaining films
2 Vertigo
7 The Godfather
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
19 Persona
29 Zerkalo
39 The General
41 Rear Window
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
55 Chinatown
73 Det sjunde inseglet
80 Banshun
91 Sanshô dayû
Selection Order
There are a lot worse actors than Jimmy Stewart (John Wayne comes immediately to mind), but his brand of Americana really grates on me (Tom Hanks effects me in a similar way). And I like most to the remaining films better than this one. Too bad you waited so late in the game to give it a knock because it can still be saved and come back to win.
Last edited by cinewest on March 1st, 2021, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Apparently there's a pretty funny dream sequence in the middle of this film (dixit my old review, can't remember it to be honest), which is what saved it I guess.

And yeah, Hanks is a pretty good comparison. Both give very stiff and wooden performance and have this greyness/dullness about them make them very hard to like.
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

Aw shucks, you guys just don’t understand great acting.
perceval

Post by perceval »

Says the person who cut Late Spring :folded:

I cut The General. Rewatched it last week and have no complains, however all remaining films are fine by now. It is cool that almost all the film is a train chase.
remaining films
2 Vertigo
7 The Godfather
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
19 Persona
29 Zerkalo
39 The General
41 Rear Window
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.