Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Foxtrot, May nominations (Apr 30th)

iCM Forum's Favourite Directorial Debut Features; Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Lonewolf2003
Donator

iCM Forum's Favourite Directorial Debut Features; Nominations

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

iCM Forum's Favourite Directorial Debut Features
Nominations

Everybody has to start somewhere, and so do directors. In this poll we will see which director's starts are our favorites.

Only directorial debut features are eligible for this poll!
But what is a directorial debut feature? A feature is a movie of 40 or more minutes. A directorial debut is the first film directed by a director that was commercially released or more broadly said was made available for public viewing. So a directorial debut feature is the first film of at least 40 minutes directed by a director that was publicly released.
Tv movies, straight-to-video/streaming service movies are allowed. An anthology and co-directed feature is eligible when it is the debut of one of the listed (co-)directors.

If you are unsure if a movie is eligible, don't feel afraid to ask. In fact I strongly encourage discussions (by doubt) to constantly improve the list of eligible titles.

Some help:
See these lists from eligible titles:
:imdb: list
:ICM: list
They are not complete and not flawless yet. I will update and correct them regularly based among other lists posted and discussions here. I will post corrections made in the list to notify every one of them. After the deadline I will give everyone one week the opportunity to correct/update their list (if necessary). (Ineligible titles will be automatically filtered out when calculating the results.)

This list was made thanks to Fergenaprido's fantastic work. :worship: :worship: :worship:
This Google Spreadsheet is the source for the imdb and icm lists. It's VERY MUCH a work in progress, but feel free to peruse it for additional ideas. There are also notes for instances where the "debut feature" is not clear.
Green = multiple directors have the same debut feature
Yellow = the film is the debut for one of the directors, but not for the other(s)
Orange = there is some question as to which film should be considered the debut - I've left a note in the ttid cell in every instance

See also this topic for more information.

Movies in above list and your IMDb list: https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?my_r ... tings,desc (Replace ZZZ with your list id)

(ICM list is coming soon)

DEALINE =12 MARCH 2021

Rules:
  • The list should containt movie titles, not directors.*
  • IMDb- or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Lists can be ranked or unranked or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
*In the results thread I will highlight in some way for which director(s) an entry was the debut.

Half-life = TBD
Participant = 42
Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly. And is set to public. For iCM lists you can also set it to "Friends" and befriend me.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on March 17th, 2021, 4:06 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

I'm not sure yet what to do with standalone episodes of anthology tv-series. For example episodes for Play for Today, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, U.S. Go Home or Black Mirror. I'm leaning to them being eligible. How do others feel?
(Don't know if this will be even an issue and if any director debuted with an episode in an anthology tv-serie).

The 40 minutes cut-off for feature length was chosen cause it's inline for what we use for challenges too and it's what most sites/organizations (f.e. Academy, BFI and AFI) use. (I'm open for discussion tho)
beavis

Post by beavis »

this is so hard to do! not only knowing for sure that the debut feature is an actual debut feature but then: which to include? how to rank?

I decided to go with only the movies that I really like and was very impressed with as a debut (otherwise, where to end...?), ranked with a strong bias on how much they impressed me (how original the voice is another way to describe that maybe). I am sure I have made mistakes on features not being actual debuts. I would have liked to have ranked En Kärlekshistoria by Roy Andersson extremely high (maybe a favorite debut for me), only to find out he made a short feature a year before that one, so it's not a debut afterall... grrr. But I did not such a thorough check on every movie on my list at this point... :)

without anymore ado:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/dire ... st/beavis/
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I think I'll just try to filter my fav-movies-list. No idea how many debuts there are on there.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

My list
1-86 ranked
Rest unranked
Last edited by hurluberlu on March 7th, 2021, 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/best ... onderhond/ (ranked)

Best effort, also because IMDb isn't always that reliable for Asian directors. Clearly I love debuts as 126/675 is a pretty decent percentage. These films are often made with a certain "do or die"/"this may be my only chance" mentality, which I can definitely appreciate.
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

beavis wrote: February 1st, 2021, 3:17 pm this is so hard to do! not only knowing for sure that the debut feature is an actual debut feature but then: which to include? how to rank?

I decided to go with only the movies that I really like and was very impressed with as a debut (otherwise, where to end...?), ranked with a strong bias on how much they impressed me (how original the voice is another way to describe that maybe). I am sure I have made mistakes on features not being actual debuts. I would have liked to have ranked En Kärlekshistoria by Roy Andersson extremely high (maybe a favorite debut for me), only to find out he made a short feature a year before that one, so it's not a debut afterall... grrr. But I did not such a thorough check on every movie on my list at this point... :)

without anymore ado:
En Kärlekshistoria should be eligible :( 48 minutes long film school project unreleased for 40 years until 2009 and listed mostly everywhere as a short, shouldn't be counted as a feature debut :ermm:
beavis

Post by beavis »

I would not mind that!
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

monclivie wrote: February 1st, 2021, 8:57 pm
beavis wrote: February 1st, 2021, 3:17 pm this is so hard to do! not only knowing for sure that the debut feature is an actual debut feature but then: which to include? how to rank?

without anymore ado:
En Kärlekshistoria should be eligible :( 48 minutes long film school project unreleased for 40 years until 2009 and listed mostly everywhere as a short, shouldn't be counted as a feature debut :ermm:
You mean Lördagen den 5.10? Any source that is was unreleashed for 40 year, cause than it can't be considered as publicly released and is not his directorial debut feature in my book either.

Andersson also has directed a documentary earlier, Den vita sporten (1968), but that was as part of a collective. So not sure to count that one. Thoughts of anyone?

I'm not going to decide case-by-case if something is a feature or not based on how other sites define shorts. But if there is massive outcry here to increase the cut-off I will listen.
tobias

Post by tobias »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 1st, 2021, 12:53 pm I'm not sure yet what to do with standalone episodes of anthology tv-series. For example episodes for Play for Today, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, U.S. Go Home or Black Mirror. I'm leaning to them being eligible. How do others feel?
(Don't know if this will be even an issue and if any director debuted with an episode in an anthology tv-serie).

The 40 minutes cut-off for feature length was chosen cause it's inline for what we use for challenges too and it's what most sites/organizations (f.e. Academy, BFI and AFI) use. (I'm open for discussion tho)
This is a little known fact but Jarmush's Stranger than Paradise was part of a somewhat similar anthology programme, Das kleine Fernsehspiel at ZDF, Germany which like the french TV production is supposed to give a platform to young and emerging directors. I feel like as long as it's completely stand-alone it should be eligible. Tous les garçons et les filles de leur âge produced multiple well known films as well, at least Portrait d'une jeune fille de la fin des années 60 à Bruxelles and US Go Home get frequent mentions online these days. I don't see any reason to regard them as one work. But neither of them are debuts either.

As for the Roy Andersson discussion. 10 directors working on a political documentary doesn't make it anyones debut in my eyes. I would also consider En Kärlekhetshistorie his debut.
tobias

Post by tobias »

Actually a question pops up for me now. How do people stand on Elevator to the Gallows?
beavis

Post by beavis »

I updated my list, Roy Andersson enters high! added a few I had missed too and removed one (shaun of the dead) realizing it was not a debut. I saw Onderhond listed Tetsuo as the debut of Tsukamoto, but I'm not sure it is, otherwise it would also be a high one for me.
tobias

Post by tobias »

Another question: You all consider CK Welles debut and not Too Much Johnson, right? The later, being supporting material for a theatre show really couldn't be argued to be a feature debut.
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 1st, 2021, 9:37 pm

without anymore ado:
You mean Lördagen den 5.10? Any source that is was unreleashed for 40 year, cause than it can't be considered as publicly released and is not his directorial debut feature in my book either.

Andersson also has directed a documentary earlier, Den vita sporten (1968), but that was as part of a collective. So not sure to count that one. Thoughts of anyone?

I'm not going to decide case-by-case if something is a feature or not based on how other sites define shorts. But if there is massive outcry here to increase the cut-off I will listen.
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B6rdagen_den_5/10 - here they write it's a sudent film during his years in Film Institute released in 2009 in a DVD collection of his student films and that - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316196/releaseinfo - looks like it was only screened at this Film Institute and never released or widely screened until 2009. Hell, even on royandersson.com which looks like quite a reliable source it says "Feature-length film debut in 1970 with A Swedish Love Story". Case closed? :P
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Aside from the imdb list Lonewolf is managing, I will have an icm list up by the end of the week to help those who make their lists there (and use the watchlist feature).

This Google Spreadsheet is the source Lonewolf and I are using for the imdb and icm lists. It's VERY MUCH a work in progress, but feel free to peruse it for additional ideas. There are also notes for instances where the "debut feature" is not clear.

Green = multiple directors have the same debut feature
Yellow = the film is the debut for one of the directors, but not for the other(s)
Orange = there is some question as to which film should be considered the debut - I've left a note in the ttid cell in every instance
zomgmouse

Post by zomgmouse »

I could be wrong but the imdb list in the OP doesn't seem to have Eraserhead...?
tobias wrote: February 1st, 2021, 9:44 pm Jarmush's Stranger than Paradise
Wasn't Jarmusch's debut Permanent Vacation?
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

Last edited by RolandKirkSunglasses on March 14th, 2021, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tobias

Post by tobias »

zomgmouse wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 3:27 am I could be wrong but the imdb list in the OP doesn't seem to have Eraserhead...?
Yes. It was more about these anthology series on TV, maybe that wasn't clear.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

monclivie wrote: February 1st, 2021, 10:54 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 1st, 2021, 9:37 pm

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B6rdagen_den_5/10 - here they write it's a sudent film during his years in Film Institute released in 2009 in a DVD collection of his student films and that - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316196/releaseinfo - looks like it was only screened at this Film Institute and never released or widely screened until 2009. Hell, even on royandersson.com which looks like quite a reliable source it says "Feature-length film debut in 1970 with A Swedish Love Story". Case closed? :P
Okay, I'm convinced and En Kärlekshistoria is eligible now instead of Lördagen den 5.10
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

tobias wrote: February 1st, 2021, 9:54 pm Actually a question pops up for me now. How do people stand on Elevator to the Gallows?
Isn't Le monde du silence (1956) Malle's debut really? He was a (co-)director on that, and it even won the Palme d'Or.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

tobias wrote: February 1st, 2021, 10:41 pm Another question: You all consider CK Welles debut and not Too Much Johnson, right? The later, being supporting material for a theatre show really couldn't be argued to be a feature debut.
Yes, I agree. From wiki: "Too Much Johnson is a 1938 comedy film written and directed by Welles. Designed as the cinematic aspect of Welles's Mercury Theatre stage presentation of William Gillette's 1894 comedy, the film was not completely edited or publicly screened. Too Much Johnson was considered a lost film until August 2013" So that can't be considered his debut. Kane is.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

zomgmouse wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 3:27 am I could be wrong but the imdb list in the OP doesn't seem to have Eraserhead...?
Yes PV is Jarmush debut. It is in the list.

Added Eraserhead too. Thanks.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

beavis wrote: February 1st, 2021, 10:00 pm I updated my list, Roy Andersson enters high! added a few I had missed too and removed one (shaun of the dead) realizing it was not a debut. I saw Onderhond listed Tetsuo as the debut of Tsukamoto, but I'm not sure it is, otherwise it would also be a high one for me.
Tsukamoto seems to have made movies before that. Some as a kid with a Super 8 camera, think those can't be considered. Denchû kozô no bôken [The Adventure of Denchu-Kozo/The Adventures of Electric Rod Boy](1987) was made before Tetsuo and was released, it did win PIA Film Fest (Japan) – Grand Prize and it's over 40 min. I will consider that be his directorial debut feature (until proven otherwise)
tobias

Post by tobias »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 9:53 am
tobias wrote: February 1st, 2021, 9:54 pm Actually a question pops up for me now. How do people stand on Elevator to the Gallows?
Isn't Le monde du silence (1956) Malle's debut really? He was a (co-)director on that, and it even won the Palme d'Or.
Yes, I was just never sure about his exact involvement. I always felt that it was more of a Cousteau film and that Malle was an asistant that he hired and who then achieved extensive credit even though on reality Cousteau called the shots. Malle was 20 when he began working on the film. His next job was being an asistant on a Bresson film. Sometimes you credit people for more than they are or for less.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

tobias wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 2:59 pm
Yes, I was just never sure about his exact involvement. I always felt that it was more of a Cousteau film and that Malle was an asistant that he hired and who then achieved extensive credit even though on reality Cousteau called the shots. Malle was 20 when he began working on the film. His next job was being an asistant on a Bresson film. Sometimes you credit people for more than they are or for less.
I understand your point. Being called a co-director indeed sometimes don't mean much. But couldn't find much information so far on how much Malle was actually involved in the directing. So will consider that his debut, untill someone can give more information about this.
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

This was hard work, but I now have a list of forty-six titles.

ICM Poll: Where Do I Begin?

At the moment I did NOT include:
*Charlie Chaplin - who made one 46 minute movie before "The Kid".
*Woody Allen - Who "directed" "What's Up, Tiger Lily", which is just some kind of voice-over joke to a Japanese film. Otherwise I would include "Take the Money and Run".
*Sydney Lumet - who did one TV movie before '12 Angry Men".

However I DID include
*Jazmila Zbanic - who made a 39 minute documentary before "Grbavica".
*Vincente Minnelli - who has one uncredited title before "Cabin in the Sky".
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 4:21 pm
I understand your point. Being called a co-director indeed sometimes don't mean much. But couldn't find much information so far on how much Malle was actually involved in the directing. So will consider that his debut, untill someone can give more information about this.
I feel the same. If one person is listed as "director" and the other as "co-director", I consider the co-director a junior person and ignore that credit. If both are listed as "director" or both as "co-director", then I consider them equal partners in the film. IIRC, both are credited as directed on World of Silence, so unless there's information about Malle's credits just being on paper (such as Cousteau winning director awards without Malle, etc.), I concur with Lonewolf.

Also, updated source list for all the directors mentioned here thus far. Lonewolf, how do you want me to highlight the latest editions/corrections in the spreadsheet so you can update the imdb list?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Caracortada wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 5:31 pm At the moment I did NOT include:
According to IMDb that TV movie is 30 min. So 12 Angry Men is a debut feature, am I right?
ICM-profile
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

joachimt wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 6:10 pm
According to IMDb that TV movie is 30 min. So 12 Angry Men is a debut feature, am I right?
It is also missing from Ferg's list in the OP then.

ImageImageImageImage
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Sorok pervyy can be added to the list as well. Certainly voting for it.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

hurluberlu wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 6:27 pm
Haven't gotten there yet. I'm almost finished the D directors :)
I'll do Lumet now for you (he's there with 12 Angry Men in the second tab).
joachimt wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 6:39 pm Sorok pervyy can be added to the list as well. Certainly voting for it.
Same. Overlooked him when I went through the Cs. Noted.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Fergenaprido wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 6:50 pm
I meant from the imdb list in the OP, it has all kind of names already.

ImageImageImageImage
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Fergenaprido wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 5:38 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 4:21 pm

I feel the same. If one person is listed as "director" and the other as "co-director", I consider the co-director a junior person and ignore that credit. If both are listed as "director" or both as "co-director", then I consider them equal partners in the film. IIRC, both are credited as directed on World of Silence, so unless there's information about Malle's credits just being on paper (such as Cousteau winning director awards without Malle, etc.), I concur with Lonewolf.

Also, updated source list for all the directors mentioned here thus far. Lonewolf, how do you want me to highlight the latest editions/corrections in the spreadsheet so you can update the imdb list?
Could you highlight them in some color? With a filter I should be able to pick those out.

I also added most mentioned in this topic already. Will go through all lists posted tomorrow to add those nominated but missing, and notify people of incorrect or debatable entries.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on February 2nd, 2021, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

hurluberlu wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 6:58 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 6:50 pm

I meant from the imdb list in the OP, it has all kind of names already.
That list is primarily based on Ferge list, plus some mentioned already in this topic too, and like said in the OP it’s far from complete. Thanks for the heads up tho
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

I will add "12 Angry Men" and some others from that imdb list that I had overlooked. I notice that one does include Chaplin's "The Kid", and John Huston's "The Maltese Falcon" is missing. Eric Rohmer has one 50 minute movie before "Le Signe du Lion".
Last edited by Caracortada on February 2nd, 2021, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Caracortada wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 5:31 pm This was hard work, but I now have a list of forty-six titles.

ICM Poll: Where Do I Begin?

At the moment I did NOT include:
*Charlie Chaplin - who made one 46 minute movie before "The Kid".
*Woody Allen - Who "directed" "What's Up, Tiger Lily", which is just some kind of voice-over joke to a Japanese film. Otherwise I would include "Take the Money and Run".

However I DID include
*Jazmila Zbanic - who made a 39 minute documentary before "Grbavica".
*Vincente Minnelli - who has one uncredited title before "Cabin in the Sky".
Chaplin; I will look into later. Which short do you mean?

For Allen Ferge and I count Take the Money and Run as his debut, cause What's Up, Tiger Lily is indeed just some voice-over of a Japanese movie.

For Lumet; see Joachim reaction. That TV movie is less than 40 min, so 12 Angry Men is his debut.

Cabin in the Sky indeed is Vincente Minnelli debut. That uncredited one I don’t count either. Thanks, added it
Grbavica I added also. Zbanic made a 39 min tv doc, and she directed a segment for an anthology film but that segment seems to be the same as her short and is just 12 min. So those don’t count.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Caracortada wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 8:30 pm Eric Rohmer has one 50 minute movie before "Le Signe du Lion".
Yes but Kreutzer Sonate never seem to have had a real wide release at the time and was unfinished. So didn’t count that one.
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 8:39 pm
Caracortada wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 8:30 pm Eric Rohmer has one 50 minute movie before "Le Signe du Lion".
Yes but Kreutzer Sonate never seem to have had a real wide release at the time and was unfinished. So didn’t count that one.
Thanks. I will add "Le Signe du Lion" then. For Chaplin "Chase Me Charlie" (1918) is 46 minutes according to imdb. He directed it wit Langford Reed.