Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Monday, May nominations (Apr 30th)

iCM Forum's Favourite Under 50 iCM Checks Movies : Nomination (closed : Processing results)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

monclivie wrote: January 25th, 2021, 3:59 pm but i'm rather not the type of guy that goes straight to San Marino while never travelling to Italy and I tend to see the movies that are either official or with high chances to be my next favorites based on existing ratings/reviews, so small chances many of them will have that little checks.
Now wait until you get called out on your closed-minded mainstream attitude! Rather preferring acclaimed films with maybe decades of relevance and approved aesthetic quality than exploring the swamp of tens of thousands of underwatched works from all over the world .. but hey, just stick to Transformers if it's easier for you, mate.

tehe
beavis

Post by beavis »

I'm not one to call out, but it's not an attitude that guarantees you finding the best that is out there. You're missing something if you stick only to this path. Sure you need to sample the best of the best, the most cannonical, but in the subtop there is a whole lot of average popularity, while forgotten masterpieces remain neglected.... i mean, that's where al these < polls are exactly about!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

monclivie wrote: January 25th, 2021, 3:59 pm but i'm rather not the type of guy that goes straight to San Marino while never travelling to Italy
I understand this is a metaphor, but I was intrigued enough that I had to research the issue. Anyway, the upshot is that it's very difficult to travel to San Marino without first going through Italy. San Marino has one heliport and one non-commercial airstrip, so anyway hoping to accomplish this pointless task would likely have to charter a private plane or helicopter.

I also found out that the nearest commercial airport to San Marino is the one in Rimini, which is named after Fellini! I wonder how many other film people have airports named after them. The only two that come to mind are John Wayne Airport in California and Will Rogers Airport in Oklahoma (though Will Rogers probably has the airport named after him more for being an advocate for aviation -- and dying in a plane crash).
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

blocho wrote: January 25th, 2021, 5:37 pm
monclivie wrote: January 25th, 2021, 3:59 pm but i'm rather not the type of guy that goes straight to San Marino while never travelling to Italy
I understand this is a metaphor, but I was intrigued enough that I had to research the issue. Anyway, the upshot is that it's very difficult to travel to San Marino without first going through Italy. San Marino has one heliport and one non-commercial airstrip, so anyway hoping to accomplish this pointless task would likely have to charter a private plane or helicopter.

I also found out that the nearest commercial airport to San Marino is the one in Rimini, which is named after Fellini! I wonder how many other film people have airports named after them. The only two that come to mind are John Wayne Airport in California and Will Rogers Airport in Oklahoma (though Will Rogers probably has the airport named after him more for being an advocate for aviation -- and dying in a plane crash).
There's Ronald Reagan in Washington and John Lennon in Liverpool, but of course their recognition is not about movies.
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

pitchorneirda wrote: January 25th, 2021, 5:51 pm There's Ronald Reagan in Washington
Damn, I already had looked up the Wikipedia entry, beat me by a second. :D
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

James Stewart: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_C ... rt_Airport

It's the only additional one I could find after a quick glance here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e ... f_airports
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

pitchorneirda wrote: January 25th, 2021, 6:04 pm James Stewart: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_C ... rt_Airport
Only wooden airplanes allowed. tehe
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

I love your research :lol: Let's specify, that i meant choosing San Marino as a travel destination before experiencing Italy first, and ignoring everything around you in Italy while heading straight from Rimini, or even Rome, to San Marino. By bus :D
beavis wrote: January 25th, 2021, 4:41 pm I'm not one to call out, but it's not an attitude that guarantees you finding the best that is out there. You're missing something if you stick only to this path. Sure you need to sample the best of the best, the most cannonical, but in the subtop there is a whole lot of average popularity, while forgotten masterpieces remain neglected.... i mean, that's where al these < polls are exactly about!
Oh, there is a long way between popularity and <50. Even in the area of 100-400 checks there are always hunderds of gems to explore, that i have 0,1% of chance to discuss with anyone in real life, not to mention all of us have mainstream movies in their favorites so why to reject acclaimed ones - isn't it maybe another way to miss something? But the point is, i will take every kind of recommendation, mainstream or obscure, since i ultimately want to see everything that's really worth of that (hell, i already noted some of the movies mentioned in this thread), but when it comes to choosing what to see next, i just prefer to watch at first, for example, another Rohmer's film with 315 checks that i will probably love and i wouldn't want to miss, than some hit or miss obscurity with 7.1 imdb rating which means that even forgotten masterpiece explorers didn't really love this movie that much. I don't judge yours or anyone else's choices, though, just try to cast some light on mine.
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

blocho wrote: January 25th, 2021, 5:37 pm I also found out that the nearest commercial airport to San Marino is the one in Rimini, which is named after Fellini! I wonder how many other film people have airports named after them. The only two that come to mind are John Wayne Airport in California and Will Rogers Airport in Oklahoma (though Will Rogers probably has the airport named after him more for being an advocate for aviation -- and dying in a plane crash).
The best other example I can think of (not already mentioned in this thread) is Bob Hope Airport in Burbank, which is still the legal name of the airport although no longer used in marketing. (It's now called Hollywood Burbank Airport instead.)
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

pitchorneirda wrote: January 25th, 2021, 6:04 pm James Stewart: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_C ... rt_Airport

It's the only additional one I could find after a quick glance here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e ... f_airports
That makes sense. Not only is Stewart from the area, but he was also an Air Force general.

Thank you everyone for the airport information. I asked for some pointless movie-related aviation trivia, and I got it. This forum is awesome.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

San Marino is lovely. You can get there by city bus from Rimini (which is also nice). Fellini was either born or grew up in Rimini, which is why the airport is named after him.

After touring the towers and central town of San Marino, I had a few hours to kill so I walked half way across the country and then stopped for a drink before catching the bus back to Rimini. 'Twas a lovely August day, just before the heat wave a few summers ago.

But yes, I did see Italy as well (2 weeks on that trip), though I suppose I could have parachuted into SM. :D
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Perception de Ambiguity wrote: January 24th, 2021, 6:15 pm Since there apparently won't be any IMDb filter to make the list just use this list and ignore all the ineligible films, if you are OK with that, Tim2460, and it doesn't create any extra work for you.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls081930308/
In fact it does PdA : The exclusion system isn't that friendly on the result building process
Wonderful Rainbow

Post by Wonderful Rainbow »

San Marino discussion
monclivie wrote: January 25th, 2021, 6:34 pm

I love your research :lol: Let's specify, that i meant choosing San Marino as a travel destination before experiencing Italy first, and ignoring everything around you in Italy while heading straight from Rimini, or even Rome, to San Marino. By bus :D
beavis wrote: January 25th, 2021, 4:41 pm I'm not one to call out, but it's not an attitude that guarantees you finding the best that is out there. You're missing something if you stick only to this path. Sure you need to sample the best of the best, the most cannonical, but in the subtop there is a whole lot of average popularity, while forgotten masterpieces remain neglected.... i mean, that's where al these < polls are exactly about!
Oh, there is a long way between popularity and <50. Even in the area of 100-400 checks there are always hunderds of gems to explore, that i have 0,1% of chance to discuss with anyone in real life, not to mention all of us have mainstream movies in their favorites so why to reject acclaimed ones - isn't it maybe another way to miss something? But the point is, i will take every kind of recommendation, mainstream or obscure, since i ultimately want to see everything that's really worth of that (hell, i already noted some of the movies mentioned in this thread), but when it comes to choosing what to see next, i just prefer to watch at first, for example, another Rohmer's film with 315 checks that i will probably love and i wouldn't want to miss, than some hit or miss obscurity with 7.1 imdb rating which means that even forgotten masterpiece explorers didn't really love this movie that much. I don't judge yours or anyone else's choices, though, just try to cast some light on mine.
I completely agree with monclivie. It might make me less of a cinephile among the extreme ones, but I cannot force myself to watch obscure dramas when I'm in the mood for, say, a simple, satisfying noir. And still I have 0 friends to share my love for noirs to. But at the same time, being reminded by beavis to dig deeper is exactly the reason I spend hours reading this forum or pay for ICM, to keep myself in some kind of shape. And for people like me, the <400 checks is the sweet spot, no mainstream crap, and enough likes/dislikes to help me decide.
beavis

Post by beavis »

:thumbsup: we are all different kind of "philes" ;)

For me visiting a film festival and watching a few world premiere movies already gives me easy candidates. keeping up with new releases in general gives you loads. And then there is the experimental cinema niche, the world cinema niche... it is not like I'm going out of my way to make half of what I see <400 checks and even for <50 I had thousands of options. This also feels more natural to me than sticking to a few lists deemed "official" (or "worse", e.g., sticking to the Imdb top 250), so for me, that would be "forcing myself" ;) so... no judgement either way, we all love movies.

(but still I feel that need to plea: please don't think unofficial movies that have only a few checks are less interesting / less able to be something you'd like. Some of my very favorites are in that corner)
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Festival: nope, don't go there
Experimental cinema niche: hit or miss for me, I won't just randomly watch this stuff
World cinema: Got a subscription to MUBI combined with VPN. This gives me almost 4k movies to pick from. So I could watch all of those and then I would have tons of choices for <50. But watching 4k obscure titles on MUBI takes me roughly eight years, so I have to find a way to decide which to watch. You know what? I use iCM for that. It's not that weird to do this......
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I'm kinda with beavis on this one, though because I have a stronger affinity with (audio)visual qualities it may be easier for me to filter potentially good films based on a poster & some screenshots? I never had much trouble filtering out things I like and I have a pretty good hit % too.

As for relying on ICM ... I still think way too many niches are underrepresented or difficult to track down, I'd much rather filter from a broader pool myself.
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

Tim2460 wrote: January 26th, 2021, 7:01 am
Perception de Ambiguity wrote: January 24th, 2021, 6:15 pm Since there apparently won't be any IMDb filter to make the list just use this list and ignore all the ineligible films, if you are OK with that, Tim2460, and it doesn't create any extra work for you.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls081930308/
In fact it does PdA : The exclusion system isn't that friendly on the result building process
OK, don't use the list.
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

Onderhond wrote: January 26th, 2021, 6:49 pm As for relying on ICM ... I still think way too many niches are underrepresented or difficult to track down, I'd much rather filter from a broader pool myself.
Recently, after years of being addicted to the official status, I came to the same conclusion and I decided and somehow convinced myself that my watchlist, based on my choices of what i expect to like, is more important to me than any other list. Now i feel the same satisfaction checking unofficial movies from my list as i felt before, and this new feeling of freedom of exploration is amazing. ICM is still a huge source of inspirations though.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

monclivie wrote: January 26th, 2021, 9:27 pm Now i feel the same satisfaction checking unofficial movies from my list as i felt before, and this new feeling of freedom of exploration is amazing.
:o
You have a free soul and the heart of a true film lover. Over are the days of ICM check mark slavery.
I look up to you!
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Took a way longer pause than intended after working my way up to the 10 check mark - now I just have the 11-50 checks to go. Cut lots of great films out to limit the list a little (not sure if I should have given the discussion above, so will be a little nicer for the next steps).

Positive note: Zoltan Fabri's The Brute (Duvad) got at least 1 more check. :D
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Phew, happy surprise. Was really expecting exponential growth of films the higher the check cont went - but it was the other way around so far.

616 at 10 or less checks
476 at 11-20 checks
313 at 21-30 checks

At this rate finishing this list should be far less work than I thought!

(Not ranked the 10+ checks yet, that will have to come a little later)

-

I have to say though, my main thought going though these low check films are "HOW????" The number of Duras films was especially sad (including my two favourites of hers ...), not to mention several films by Ottinger, including Freak Orlando and Johanna D'Arc of Mongolia.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

St. Gloede wrote: January 27th, 2021, 12:08 am

I have to say though, my main thought going though these low check films are "HOW????" The number of Duras films was especially sad (including my two favourites of hers ...), not to mention several films by Ottinger, including Freak Orlando and Johanna D'Arc of Mongolia.
Huh, I had more <50 than you, but that's probably due to the preponderance of shorts in my ratings.

As to Duras in particular, and probably some other favorites of yours (and mine, and others here), I suspect alas that a lot of people just watch the most famous film and go "oh God no, no more" and leave it at that... :lol: I'm sure had I seen India Song at some venue other than Facets, it would have had 50+% walkouts, and I can imagine some of the other surpassing that. I think there were only 3 or 4 of us there for Le camion to begin with. And she has hardly gotten more "popular" in the succeeding 25 years.

At least if the others aren't Official (of course).
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

We're approching the end of that Pool.

I'll be mostly out of the city during the weekend so you'll have the Sunday Night CET to post or upgrade your lasts Lists.
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

Gwen, le livre de sable (1985) are no longer eligble. My bad.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Hiya Tim,

A little list from me of a hundred cherished favourites. I could have gone on and on trawling through my 9/10s but I decided to keep it short and sweet. I might add one or two more to this, if I see inclusions I adore in other people's lists.

Directors of the list are the two Mikhails/Mikheils, Bogin and Kobakhidze (I've included virtually everything I've seen from these two under-heralded masters). Two films each from several others, such as Klopčič and Mimica.

Unranked: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/my+f ... emaniac88/

:cheers:
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on January 29th, 2021, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!
zuma
Donator

Post by zuma »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: January 29th, 2021, 1:09 am I might add one or two more to this, if I see inclusions I adore in other people's lists.
You mean something like Szyfry? B)
RogerTheMovieManiac88

zuma wrote: January 29th, 2021, 1:16 am
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: January 29th, 2021, 1:09 am I might add one or two more to this, if I see inclusions I adore in other people's lists.
You mean something like Szyfry? B)
Indeed, and thank you for reminding me of it. It is a masterpiece. I shall certainly consider supporting Has's film. Just haven't got around to looking at the other lists yet, haha...
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on January 31st, 2021, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Sonnenstrahl has more than 50 checks -- otherwise, it would be on my list, too!
RogerTheMovieManiac88

burneyfan wrote: January 29th, 2021, 3:29 am
Sonnenstrahl has more than 50 checks -- otherwise, it would be on my list, too!
Ah, thank you for the catch. I thought I had double-checked them all, but obviously this one slipped through.
That's all, folks!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/unde ... ecks/sol-/

RANKED

I will aim to add more later, but this will do for now in case I run out of time. :sweat:

Fun trivia point: This is the only poll that I can think of where my top three choices have been Australian. Didn't even happen in the Oceania poll. :shrug:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
sortile9io

Post by sortile9io »

72aicm wrote: January 28th, 2021, 6:11 pm Gwen, le livre de sable (1985) are no longer eligble. My bad.
:angry:

Well, at least I hope it will be on our next 500<400 list.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

RANKED
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls084916456/

I went through a few phases here :lol:

1) I shouldn't make a list as I've not seen enough movies <50 checks
2) Maybe I should make a top 40
3) Maybe a top 20
4) An unranked top 10 could work
5) Let me just post in the ones I hope some people will watch someday to discuss and hope it is eligible.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls084974670/
1-2: ranked
3+ : unranked
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

My meagre contribution, could've added 2 or 3 extra if it was called "Under 60 checks".

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/dash ... unglasses/

#5 is a miniseries of "Anna Karenina", I hope that counts because it's my favourite screen version of the novel. With a small budget and lots of stage actors it's basically a thespian version of Tolstoy but it follows the novel closely and features Levin's half-brother Koznyshev.
zomgmouse

Post by zomgmouse »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls084959768/? ... ail&page=1
(sorted by highest to lowest rating)

partially ranked:
2. - 13.
14. - 47.
48. - 223.

if possible - if not, then all unranked.