Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Monday, May nominations (Apr 30th)

iCM Forum's Favourite TV-series 2nd edition; Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes

Should mini-series be eliglble for this poll? (See OP for definition)

Poll ended at December 14th, 2020, 3:23 pm

Yes, all mini-series should be allowed.
24%
No, mini-series according to the definition in the OP with maximum 16 episode shouldn't be allowed
45%
No, mini-series according to the definition in the OP but with a shorter maximum amount episodes shouldn't be allowed (max. episodes TBD (4,6,8?))
22%
Don't care/know
8%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 49

mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

beasterne wrote: December 7th, 2020, 11:11 pm I voted for no mini-series to be included...personally I see mini-series, or limited series, as more distinct from TV shows than ever. Telling a self-contained story makes these much more of a film than a tv show.
The majority of longer TV shows that I've watched tell a self-contained story. Maybe it depends on the country.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

I'd prefer a separate poll for mini-series. I can see both sides of the argument, but that's my preference.

Of course, that leaves some anthology shows in a fuzzy area. Particularly American Crime Story. There's no connection between the two seasons - different stories, different casts, different showrunners/writers, etc. The only real connection is that both are non-fiction stories that purport to adhere closely to the facts of the cases. That, any Ryan Murphy executive produced them.

I decided to include it simply because if there's a miniseries poll, I don't think there's any way we can submit the seasons separately through an IMDb list or ICM list, since there isn't a separate page we can link to for the seasons. :shrug:

My list is ranked: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082188811/

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

outdoorcats wrote: December 8th, 2020, 12:36 am I'd prefer a separate poll for mini-series. I can see both sides of the argument, but that's my preference.

Of course, that leaves some anthology shows in a fuzzy area. Particularly American Crime Story. There's no connection between the two seasons - different stories, different casts, different showrunners/writers, etc. The only real connection is that both are non-fiction stories that purport to adhere closely to the facts of the cases. That, any Ryan Murphy executive produced them.

I decided to include it simply because if there's a miniseries poll, I don't think there's any way we can submit the seasons separately through an IMDb list or ICM list, since there isn't a separate page we can link to for the seasons. :shrug:

My list is ranked: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082188811/
We already did a mini-series poll this February. See OP for link.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

The definition of "mini-series" will make the biggest difference for me I guess. I liked quite a few 13-ep anime series.
AB537

Post by AB537 »

I don't have an opinion on the miniseries issue, but the verdict will certainly impact what I end up including. The anthology issue definitely needs to be clarified though - along with American Crime Story, the Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor is a good example.

It's also virtually guaranteed I'll miss something without a single coherent source to remind me of what I've watched over the years.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Haunting of Bly Manor has a separate IMDb page, so I think that at least is a clear case of "different miniseries."

mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

If mini-series are excluded, then is The Storyteller (1987) eligible? There were 9 episodes, but (unlike most mini-series) it took them more than 1 year to air all of them. There was also The Storyteller: Greek Myths (1990) with 4 episodes, but I'm not sure if I should consider it a 2nd season or a different series.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

AB537 wrote: December 10th, 2020, 3:39 am I don't have an opinion on the miniseries issue, but the verdict will certainly impact what I end up including. The anthology issue definitely needs to be clarified though - along with American Crime Story, the Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor is a good example.

It's also virtually guaranteed I'll miss something without a single coherent source to remind me of what I've watched over the years.
Anthology series, like American Crime Story, American Horror Story or Fargo, count as one tv-serie. The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor count as two seperate mini-series. I mostly will follow IMDb in this, but if anyone can make a good argument why something should (or shouldn't) be included I will consider those arguments carefully. I'm not an expert on every series ever.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

mjf314 wrote: December 10th, 2020, 4:11 am If mini-series are excluded, then is The Storyteller (1987) eligible? There were 9 episodes, but (unlike most mini-series) it took them more than 1 year to air all of them. There was also The Storyteller: Greek Myths (1990) with 4 episodes, but I'm not sure if I should consider it a 2nd season or a different series.
Difficult one. The Storyteller (1987) is described everywhere as a tv-series so should be eligible, but it sounds to me like a mini-series. The Storyteller: Greek Myths (1990) is a different series, not a second season. From what I can gather. But not sure if it's a mini-series or tv-series either. Maybe someone else familiar with the series can shine a light on it?
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: December 10th, 2020, 11:04 am
mjf314 wrote: December 10th, 2020, 4:11 am If mini-series are excluded, then is The Storyteller (1987) eligible? There were 9 episodes, but (unlike most mini-series) it took them more than 1 year to air all of them. There was also The Storyteller: Greek Myths (1990) with 4 episodes, but I'm not sure if I should consider it a 2nd season or a different series.
Difficult one. The Storyteller (1987) is described everywhere as a tv-series so should be eligible, but it sounds to me like a mini-series. The Storyteller: Greek Myths (1990) is a different series, not a second season. From what I can gather. But not sure if it's a mini-series or tv-series either. Maybe someone else familiar with the series can shine a light on it?
Each episode is an adaptation of a different folk tale. The stories are unrelated to each other, but there's a storyteller who tells the stories to his dog, so all of the episodes share those 2 characters.

Greek Myths is the same format, except it's Greek myths instead of folk tales.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

mjf314 wrote: December 10th, 2020, 11:54 am
Lonewolf2003 wrote: December 10th, 2020, 11:04 am
Each episode is an adaptation of a different folk tale. The stories are unrelated to each other, but there's a storyteller who tells the stories to his dog, so all of the episodes share those 2 characters.

Greek Myths is the same format, except it's Greek myths instead of folk tales.
Sounds weirdly like a prequel to Wishbone. But I digress.

insomnius

Post by insomnius »

So if mini-series are disallowed, I guess stuff like 'Planet Earth' and Ken Burns' 'The War' and 'The Vietnam War' are out of contention? They feel a lot more like TV than films to me.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

insomnius wrote: December 10th, 2020, 2:09 pm So if mini-series are disallowed, I guess stuff like 'Planet Earth' and Ken Burns' 'The War' and 'The Vietnam War' are out of contention? They feel a lot more like TV than films to me.
Yes
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

What's the rule for series with sequels? According to imdb Blackadder consists of four different series, but most people would probably see it as one big series. Another example is Yes, Minister and its sequel Yes, Prime Minister. Do they count as one series together?

Another problem is Miss Marple with Joan Hickson. According to imdb those are twelve different TV films or even miniseries.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Well, Blackadder is either one series or a bunch of miniseries. So if we're excluding miniseries, makes sense to consider it as one series, no ? It's a little confusing because what Americans call seasons, Brits call series, but that's what it essentially is, right ?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I don't see Blackadder as one series. I see it as four series. The individual series don't feel like mini-series to me, because they are very episodic. You might call the first BA a long story, but the other three not in my opinion, even though they end with some closure.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

ICM Poll: TV Series

For the moment I included the four separate series for Blackadder en the two for Yes, Minister. I didn't include miniseries. I can still change it if the rules say so.
AB537

Post by AB537 »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082601400/

1-40 ranked, rest unranked

Possible more stuff will be added before the deadline. The toughest shows to rank are the ones like Fargo, House of Cards (US), Boardwalk Empire, Arrested Development that had a couple of great seasons then dropped off considerably in quality, to varying degrees.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Friendly reminder that everyone still has until the 31st to finally watch The Wire. :P

Here's why you should.

insomnius

Post by insomnius »

I'm letting nostalgia take over for this. Ranked:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls096757303/
russa03

Post by russa03 »

--
Last edited by russa03 on December 15th, 2020, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082672648/

would be easier if we could Golden Globes this and have a comedy list and a drama list. Kinda hard to compare 30 min sitcoms to epic sagas.

also really hard to rank things which were inconsistent, but I'm trying to remember them at their best..

Few awkward ones I left off as IMDB lists as separate miniseries, when I could consider them one show: Heimat, The Young/New Pope, Blackadder, House of Cards (original). Twin Peaks I'm considering to be all one so only listed the original.
Mysterious Dude

Post by Mysterious Dude »

My very short list:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082612955/ (all ranked)

I don't have time for TV with all the movies I'm watching.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, mah huge sci-fi list, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

Oy. This is hard. Consider this ranked:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082631416/

Going to be working on this for a bit, but it's a start.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

The people have spoken! No recounts, no lawsuits necesarry.

Mini-series according to the definition in the OP with maximum 16 episode are ineligible.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Are you going to remove the ineligible votes, in case not everyone updates their list? If you're using my program, you can do that by creating a file named ineligible.txt with the IMDb URLs.

Also don't forget to update the first post.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

A few more eligibility questions:

Is Made in Abyss (2017) eligible? It's 13 episodes, but season 2 was recently announced. It's not clear when they decided to make a 2nd season, but season 1 clearly wasn't the end of the story, because it didn't adapt the entire manga.

Should I vote for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2006)? It has 2 seasons, 14 episodes each, but I only like the first season. The second season aired in 2009. They have a single IMDb entry, but anime sites list them separately.

Should I vote for Jin (2009)? It has 2 seasons (11 episodes per season), but I only watched the first season. They have a single IMDb entry, but Asian drama sites list them separately.

Should I vote for Natsume Yuujinchou (2008)? It has 6 seasons so far (13 episodes per season), but I only watched the first season. They have a single IMDb entry, but anime sites list them separately.
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

I'd have thought anything that has multiple seasons is eligible. Whether you vote for it based on only seeing/liking 1 season is more your own decision with TV. I don't think there's any rule about how much of the show you need to have seen
Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi »

Won't be able to make a list this year, so here's my list from last time (ranked), apologies if any title are no longer eligible:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls076939653/
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Here's my new list without mini-series:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082622434/
(the URL is different so use this version)
Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro »

My ranked list: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/gorr ... ist/gorro/

Ranking this is hard since the quality of a serie can vary a lot between seasons.
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

Gorro wrote: December 15th, 2020, 10:09 am My ranked list: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/gorr ... ist/gorro/

Ranking this is hard since the quality of a serie can vary a lot between seasons.
I guess you mean to vote for the series, but you've listed 'Deadwood: The Movie'.
Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro »

insomnius wrote: December 15th, 2020, 2:25 pm
Gorro wrote: December 15th, 2020, 10:09 am My ranked list: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/gorr ... ist/gorro/

I guess you mean to vote for the series, but you've listed 'Deadwood: The Movie'.
Thanks. The search bar on the add a list page on iCM is really terrible at finding series.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

mjf314 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 9:55 pm Are you going to remove the ineligible votes, in case not everyone updates their list? If you're using my program, you can do that by creating a file named ineligible.txt with the IMDb URLs.

Also don't forget to update the first post.
Yes I will remove ineligible titles from list. (But of course it will help tremendously if everyone already did so themselves already). After the deadline I will post a list here of ineligible and questionable titles that showed up in the concept result list. I will add the ineligible titles to ineligible.txt after that.

Will update the OP asap.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

mjf314 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 10:29 pm A few more eligibility questions:

Is Made in Abyss (2017) eligible? It's 13 episodes, but season 2 was recently announced. It's not clear when they decided to make a 2nd season, but season 1 clearly wasn't the end of the story, because it didn't adapt the entire manga.
Any series that has multiple seasons is eligigle. Regardless of if the new season has been made and aired already. If the new season doesn't get made anyhow, it counts as "planned to be longer but canceled', so it isn't as a mini-series.
Should I vote for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2006)? It has 2 seasons, 14 episodes each, but I only like the first season. The second season aired in 2009. They have a single IMDb entry, but anime sites list them separately.
Yes, you should cause The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya rocks! :D
Seriously, it's one continous tv-series consisting of 2 seasons (as far as I know). Especially since "The second season was aired in Japan as part of a re-airing of the whole series" (source=wiki). Don't know why anime sites listed them separately.
Should I vote for Jin (2009)? It has 2 seasons (11 episodes per season), but I only watched the first season. They have a single IMDb entry, but Asian drama sites list them separately.

Should I vote for Natsume Yuujinchou (2008)? It has 6 seasons so far (13 episodes per season), but I only watched the first season. They have a single IMDb entry, but anime sites list them separately.
That's totally up to you. I'm not going to set a rule for how much a person must have seen to vote for a series. (I can for example imagine people voting for The Simpsons without really having seen every episode.) If you think you seen enough episodes to make a fair judgment and want to include it in your list, do so.

Jin has 2 seasons so tv-series, you get the drift? ;)
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

mjf314 wrote: December 15th, 2020, 2:37 am Here's my new list without mini-series:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082622434/
(the URL is different so use this version)
Can you edit your previous post and delete the link in that please? That helps to keep count of the amount of lists mentioned in the thread.