Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

ICM Forum's Favourite Directors 2020: Due Mon Jan 4

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko »

Torgo wrote: January 12th, 2021, 1:43 am
Gordon_Gekko wrote: December 30th, 2020, 12:22 pm Target for next year are more asian and spanish (speaking) films.
Great start in the new year everyone.
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091893654/
Wow Gordon, we share many of our top favorites! Fingers crossed for a neat outcome of results.
Now if you're even going to increase the Asian part
:cheers: Hope so too.

Last year was very focused on frech directors and eastern europe (thanks to the guy with the reference to easterneuropeanfilms.com.) But this year will be...tora tora tora. ;)

Btw: your rating of Jaws? Didn't see it in the first eight films from Spielberg :mw_confused:
Mifune

Post by Mifune »

Torgo wrote: January 12th, 2021, 1:43 am
Obgeoff wrote: January 1st, 2021, 6:42 pm Top 5 new entrants:
13. Masaki Kobayashi
I haven't seen many of the titles in his filmography, but those are almost ridiculously perfect. My average rating probably is like 9/10. To direct Seppuku, 3x The Human Condition and Kaidan in succession and still be a relatively unknown name to Western film circles ..
Not quite in succession, because between The Human Condition and Harakiri, he directed the (of course) also great The Inheritance, which is a "smaller" film, but no lesser work. In this one, Kobayashi goes all-in on the style of the japanese new wave und combines it with a film noir attitude. Really interesting, uncommon work!

I usually dont like posting links to blogs in forums, but I wrote about this one and since youre german aswell and seem to be interested in Kobayashi - my german review.
> 500 german movie reviews - Filmsucht.org
1SO

Post by 1SO »

I missed the cutoff for submitting a list (though I now see I could've made it in even once I noticed). Kobayashi is my #17 and I had to go deep into his filmography to find that Somewhere Beneath the Wide Sky and Sincere Heart are not up to his usual standard.

I don't know why you'd stop his success with Kaidan. After that was Samurai Rebellion, which is just as good
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: January 12th, 2021, 2:07 am Hoping I can start this Wednesday, I thought I had given myself enough lead time but some things came up that took priority. Now I'm busier, but in a more organized way so I think Wed is a reasonable target. Presentation might be a bit plain for the first few days, but that's better than delaying further.
I've been refreshing the forum since wednesday, any ETA ? :D
No pressure
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Coryn wrote: January 16th, 2021, 9:55 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: January 12th, 2021, 2:07 am Hoping I can start this Wednesday, I thought I had given myself enough lead time but some things came up that took priority. Now I'm busier, but in a more organized way so I think Wed is a reasonable target. Presentation might be a bit plain for the first few days, but that's better than delaying further.
No pressure
Tomorrow I think.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: January 16th, 2021, 9:59 pm
Coryn wrote: January 16th, 2021, 9:55 pm
No pressure
Tomorrow I think.
Okay , no pressure though.
I'm just preparing to joing the directors challenge for this year as to set myself a new goal, looking forward :)
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

How's this going?
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

So ehm ... any news?
tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq »

Well, last year we started on Feb 14. So still theres time.. :D

But on a serious note, as I have said last time also, PA might be incredibly busy with other works esp around this time of the year. He already is taking care of so much ICM/forum related stuffs. Then there is a little thing called personal life. So I guess one of us should take over the direct and/or fav movies poll hereafter to ease his burden.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

tommy_leazaq wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 8:00 pm Well, last year we started on Feb 14. So still theres time.. :D

I think we'll have to bury the valentine wishes
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Peaceful is the forum's irreplaceable good soul. If something got in the way for him, so be it.
As much as we'd like to see some
Spoiler
RESULTS!! :circle:
.. I want no unnecessary hassle. The forum is just, you know, the forum. Thanks for your work so far!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Torgo wrote: February 12th, 2021, 4:43 am Peaceful is the forum's irreplaceable good soul. If something got in the way for him, so be it.
As much as we'd like to see some
Spoiler
RESULTS!! :circle:
.. I want no unnecessary hassle. The forum is just, you know, the forum. Thanks for your work so far!
Hear hear! Hope PA is doing well.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

I spent the evening experimenting my skills in Python and I might have the results of the poll...

I just need Carmel1379's list which is presently "not public" but I've experienced the same thing with my own list so this might be a bug...
Carmel1379 if you're around, could you export your list to CSV and send it to me?

However, I don't know anything about the code that is behind the display of the results (screenshots, rankings from previous years etc.) so I don't know if we're at a point where we prefer raw results without any fancy countdown, or we still prefer to wait for PA
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

I could probably do something like this:
Spoiler
#200 Pete Docter Points: 237.12 (7 Votes)
Top 1–5–10: 0–0–1

Key Film: Up (2009) – 17 Official Lists, also on IMdb
List of voters (7)
Does that interest you?
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

That looks good to me Pitch :)
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

pitchorneirda wrote: February 25th, 2021, 11:51 pm I could probably do something like this:
Spoiler
#200 Pete Docter Points: 237.12 (7 Votes)
Top 1–5–10: 0–0–1

Key Film: Up (2009) – 17 Official Lists, also on IMdb
List of voters (7)
Does that interest you?
Looks great! I say, let's go and don't wait for PA to show up.
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

I’d give PA a chance to respond via PM before proceeding. He might appreciate the help if he is going through a difficult time.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Obgeoff wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:47 am I’d give PA a chance to respond via PM before proceeding. He might appreciate the help if he is going through a difficult time.
I'd say this. If he's even glad to get this off his chest for now, that's even better then.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

I've sent PA a PM but it's been a month now since he logged in for the last time
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

pitchorneirda wrote: March 1st, 2021, 6:05 pm I've sent PA a PM but it's been a month now since he logged in for the last time
I'll contact him elsewhere.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

joachimt wrote: March 1st, 2021, 6:10 pm
pitchorneirda wrote: March 1st, 2021, 6:05 pm I've sent PA a PM but it's been a month now since he logged in for the last time
Thanks!
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Don't know if you have already, but can you also ask him at the same time if he really has time to do the 1001 Favorites poll. Or that Tim (or me) should do it instead this year.? Maybe not ask him, but bring it more as an offer to help him out since he’s probably very busy
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 1st, 2021, 11:35 pm
Don't know if you have already, but can you also ask him at the same time if he really has time to do the 1001 Favorites poll. Or that Tim (or me) should do it instead this year.? Maybe not ask him, but bring it more as an offer to help him out since he’s probably very busy
I did.
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

pitchorneirda wrote: March 1st, 2021, 6:30 pm
Thanks!
He's glad if someone could take over, so you can go ahead. Here is the full spreadsheet of last year.
https://we.tl/t-kpiqMDpVF5
Maybe you can combine it with your work, so you can include more stats like paces up and down.
ICM-profile
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Nice!

I'll probably start the results thread on Thursday then.