Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Foxtrot, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Official lists updates

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I'm strongly against adding lists that are just TV shows, but considering that we already have TV mixed into some other official lists (i.e. 24 in the Cahiers list and Shaun the Sheep on Pixar), I'm gonna say it should be added for consistency. Also, this is irrelevant, but Cowboy Bebop fucking slaps.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Was 24 in the Cahiers list or The Wire in TSP 21stC/Rosenbaum the case to irreversibly open pandora's box?
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Torgo wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 3:35 pm My first, instinctive reaction was OH GOD NO just stop it. But then ..
flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 3:24 pm Additionally, Cowboy Bebop is actually more of a maxi-series having a very definitive conclusion in the final episode and is significantly shorter than several of the "mini-series" that are official like Berlin Alexanderplatz.
.. it's true: Only 1 season adding up to less than 11 hours runtime. Hm.
I would be happier if we never started with all the TV series entries on ICM, but here we are. If it is the only exception in the book to made .. hm.
Well, it mentions Inuyasha, Astro Boy and Speed Racer in passing and really just to provide context into what anime is, but Cowboy Bebop is the only one that gets more than a sentence. I honestly think it should be added. Plus it is easily one of the most well-regarded anime series ever made (whether Onderhond personally hates it or not :P) and if any anime series is worthy of being made official, it's Cowboy Bebop.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Torgo wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 4:57 pm Was 24 in the Cahiers list or The Wire in TSP 21stC/Rosenbaum the case to irreversibly open pandora's box?
There are several other examples too. You've got Shaun the Sheep recently on the Pixar list, Twin Peaks: The Return on Cahiers too, Serial Experiments Lain which was on 500 < 400 for a while, and quite a few "mini-series" that are longer than some of the TV series listed like THe World at War and Seventeen Moments of Spring. It honestly seems arbitrary what gets labeled a mini-series vs. a tv series. If I compare just World at War with Cowboy Bebop directly. Both are 24 episodes long. Both were planned as a single season as written with no plan of continuation beyond the final episode. Both aired weekly on television in its original airing. The only difference is that The World at War is over TWICE as long in actual hours as Cowboy Bebop, yet people aren't trying to have it removed from Sight & Sound's Best Documentaries list because IMDB decided it was a mini-series instead of a TV series.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 5:14 pm Plus it is easily one of the most well-regarded anime series ever made (whether Onderhond personally hates it or not :P) and if any anime series is worthy of being made official, it's Cowboy Bebop.
If critical acclaim is the most important factor it should probably be Evangelion, for popularity Dragon Ball, for arthouse cred Serial Experiments Lain. So no B)

And if there are many examples already, it sounds like the perfect moment to reduce the number of eligible TV series, before it gets worse!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Onderhond wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 5:41 pm
flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 5:14 pm Plus it is easily one of the most well-regarded anime series ever made (whether Onderhond personally hates it or not :P) and if any anime series is worthy of being made official, it's Cowboy Bebop.
If critical acclaim is the most important factor it should probably be Evangelion, for popularity Dragon Ball, for arthouse cred Serial Experiments Lain. So no B)

And if there are many examples already, it sounds like the perfect moment to reduce the number of eligible TV series, before it gets worse!
The point is, this isn't a user poll or something. It's a list representing a book. And to randomly omit Cowboy Bebop just because it's a series instead of a movie is leaving an incomplete list. I mean, how many lists do we have with lost films that are literally impossible to ever watch solely for the sake of "preserving the integrity of the list"?
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 5:58 pm I mean, how many lists do we have with lost films that are literally impossible to ever watch solely for the sake of "preserving the integrity of the list"?
But those are still films ... in lists on ICheckMovies.
I'm all for omitting TV series on whatever list we have on ICM. Mini-series too. Good riddance.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Onderhond wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 6:21 pm
flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 5:58 pm I mean, how many lists do we have with lost films that are literally impossible to ever watch solely for the sake of "preserving the integrity of the list"?
But those are still films ... in lists on ICheckMovies.
I'm all for omitting TV series on whatever list we have on ICM. Mini-series too. Good riddance.
So we shouldn't omit impossible movies that will never be seen again, but we should get rid of the shows and miniseries from those lists? I'm willing to die on the hill of never adopting TV-centric lists, but I think to exclude TV entries from the lists we already have is bizarre.
Spoiler
We should totally get rid of lost films and just note them in the description, though. Like, there's absolutely no good reason why BFI's Top 100 Animated Films should be impossible to platinum.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 5:58 pm
Onderhond wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 5:41 pm

The point is, this isn't a user poll or something. It's a list representing a book. And to randomly omit Cowboy Bebop just because it's a series instead of a movie is leaving an incomplete list. I mean, how many lists do we have with lost films that are literally impossible to ever watch solely for the sake of "preserving the integrity of the list"?
It all seems pretty simple to me: follow the source.

No idea why Cowboy Bebop wasn't included in the original list although given the discussion, I can see someone making the decision "oh, it's a series ... skip". This might have been done independently of other such decisions related to series TV.

Either all in or all out - no picking and choosing series based on like/dislike. Just makes no sense. Of course this is actually a decision for the Mods, but I just don't see a logical defense for Heimat and Alexanderplatz, not to mention 24 or any iteration of Twin Peaks, but not an anime series that is given the same treatment as other films in the work the list is derived from. And Shaun the Sheep pretty much seals the deal since this was only added recently.

As for how things get classified on IMDb ... no need to go there as with crowd-sourcing in general, consistency flies out the window.
WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff »

I think we should delete any titles that have the letters TV in them.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

While we're at it, decimation would be nice ... just delete every tenth title and we'll have about 1600 fewer official checks
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

I think we should not omit lost films from lists for the following reasons:
  1. They enable us to identify cheetahs.
  2. Some people might have seen them before they were lost.
  3. Someone might stumble upon a copy in an old, forgotten vault or something.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 5:14 pm
Torgo wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 3:35 pm My first, instinctive reaction was OH GOD NO just stop it. But then ..
flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 3:24 pm Additionally, Cowboy Bebop is actually more of a maxi-series having a very definitive conclusion in the final episode and is significantly shorter than several of the "mini-series" that are official like Berlin Alexanderplatz.
I would be happier if we never started with all the TV series entries on ICM, but here we are. If it is the only exception in the book to made .. hm.
Well, it mentions Inuyasha, Astro Boy and Speed Racer in passing and really just to provide context into what anime is, but Cowboy Bebop is the only one that gets more than a sentence. I honestly think it should be added. Plus it is easily one of the most well-regarded anime series ever made (whether Onderhond personally hates it or not :P) and if any anime series is worthy of being made official, it's Cowboy Bebop.
I'm not familiar with how the AFG book is structured. I'll ask mjf to take a closer look at this one since he's the one who added the list to icm. Which page(s) is Cowboy Bebop mentioned on?
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Lammetje wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 7:01 pm I think we should not omit lost films from lists for the following reasons:
1) I'm just not convinced that's a big deal. Someone could just as easily lie about seeing titles that exist, like some of the Brakhage films that require actually going to see at the Anthology Film Center or whatever. Or random newbies who check the entire Doubling the Canon list, for instance. That's a lot more suspicious to me than somebody checking El Apostol because they're frustrated about not getting the BFI platinum.

2) Yeah, but that seems pretty unlikely. El Apostol and Ariang didn't just mysteriously vanish in the '90s.

3) And if that happened, they could very easily be added back.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I don't think getting platinum on a list is essential to the core of ICM. Checking films is though.
I'm also okay with not adopting lists with TV series anymore, if need be.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Fergenaprido wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 7:12 pm
flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 5:14 pm

I'm not familiar with how the AFG book is structured. I'll ask mjf to take a closer look at this one since he's the one who added the list to icm. Which page(s) is Cowboy Bebop mentioned on?
Page 84. The first paragraph is basically about Cowboy Bebop. I also just noticed the original Godzilla isn't on the list either and it even has its own sub-header section at the very end of the Japan chapter.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

But it's a competition site. If all the films on a list cannot credibly be checked, then the competition is not working the way it should. It's like buying an Xbox game and finding out that some of the achievements are unobtainable. Sure, it would be pretty ridiculous to exclude films that aren't known to be lost and just haven't surfaced online yet, but confirmed lost films are fucking up the system. And then there's Eniaios, a special kind of monster because the film isn't even finished yet.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
frbrown

Post by frbrown »

flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 5:14 pm Well, it mentions Inuyasha, Astro Boy and Speed Racer in passing and really just to provide context into what anime is, but Cowboy Bebop is the only one that gets more than a sentence. I honestly think it should be added.
I haven't seen the book. What is the difference/divide between things which should be on the list and those which shouldn't? The number of sentences they get?

Did you finish reading the book? There might be even more TV shows discussed.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

kongs_speech wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 6:34 pm We should totally get rid of lost films and just note them in the description, though. Like, there's absolutely no good reason why BFI's Top 100 Animated Films should be impossible to platinum.
If it was up to me, we'd absolutely put lost films and TV series (if they ever appear in the source) there. Mini-series, well, they just got lucky. No need to drag even more bogus format into this.

Eniaios is a special case in many ways - I wouldn't care if you could see whatever is finished up to now and grab a check for it, but on top of its ridiculous length and obscurity, it will hardly be obtainable to anyone, anyhow. :woot:
Luckily, the amount of people on the verge of otherwise completing the TSP 1000+ isn't so big. Higher completion rates found for the Animation list and the Oscar BP nominees, on the other hand. Sucks for them.

kongs_speech wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 7:12 pm
Lammetje wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 7:01 pm I think we should not omit lost films from lists for the following reasons:
1) I'm just not convinced that's a big deal. Someone could just as easily lie about seeing titles that exist, like some of the Brakhage films that require actually going to see at the Anthology Film Center or whatever. Or random newbies who check the entire Doubling the Canon list, for instance. That's a lot more suspicious to me than somebody checking El Apostol because they're frustrated about not getting the BFI platinum.

2) Yeah, but that seems pretty unlikely. El Apostol and Ariang didn't just mysteriously vanish in the '90s.

3) And if that happened, they could very easily be added back.
All of this. Lamm, you can do better than that! :P

xianjiro wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 6:58 pm While we're at it, decimation would be nice ... just delete every tenth title and we'll have about 1600 fewer official checks
Great idea!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

frbrown wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 7:38 pm
flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 5:14 pm Well, it mentions Inuyasha, Astro Boy and Speed Racer in passing and really just to provide context into what anime is, but Cowboy Bebop is the only one that gets more than a sentence. I honestly think it should be added.
I haven't seen the book. What is the difference/divide between things which should be on the list and those which shouldn't? The number of sentences they get?

Did you finish reading the book? There might be even more TV shows discussed.
The book is basically divided into countries as the intro to the list states and then within each country, there are sub-headings by theme. So for China, it basically divides the chapter by the generations of filmmakers (3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.). With Japan, it's a little more broad with sections Before The War, Three Giants (Ozu, Mizoguchi, Kurosawa), The Golden 1950s and 1960s, The New Wave, Samurai Cinema, Wild Japan, Shocking Pink, Violent and Cool, J-Horror, Beyond Genre, Anime and Conclusion: Goodnight and Godzilla. Within each section, it basically takes each theme and discusses important or significant films within the theme, using giving two or three sentences to each film. Having said that, I've noticed some films mentioned just in passing that have been added to the list as well.

Actually while looking, in the section talking about Ringu it does bring up the Ringu TV mini-series which isn't on the list either: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235134/.

I'm only about halfway through the book, so it remains to be seen whether other TV series are discussed.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I believe the image of page 84 begs the bigger question: what kind of mention in a book, article, website, etc qualifies as an entry. Cowboy Bepop is in the index, but Speed Racer and Astro Boy are not. And while we're at it, Inuyasha is included in the text and index but not the iCM list.

The book is available to borrow from archive.org. An account is needed, but is easy to get. One can also log in with a Google account, but I don't know if that changes borrowing privileges. I've checked the book out for an hour.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

kongs_speech wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 7:32 pm But it's a competition site.
It is an aspect of the site that gets the most attention on this forum, but I doubt it's a competition site for most of its users.
kongs_speech wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 7:32 pm It's like buying an Xbox game and finding out that some of the achievements are unobtainable.
More likely "not unobtainable anymore because it belonged to a temporary campaign". Which is still better than having to beat your mom at monopoly in real life just to get a Halo achievement.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

xianjiro wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 8:24 pm I believe the image of page 84 begs the bigger question: what kind of mention in a book, article, website, etc qualifies as an entry. Cowboy Bepop is in the index, but Speed Racer and Astro Boy are not. And while we're at it, Inuyasha is included in the text and index but not the iCM list.

The book is available to borrow from archive.org. An account is needed, but is easy to get. One can also log in with a Google account, but I don't know if that changes borrowing privileges. I've checked the book out for an hour.
Inuyasha is borderline to me. The book gives about half a sentence to it and is only citing it as an example of anime targeted to kids while Cowboy Bebop gets most of a paragraph describing the actual tone and style of it, which is more than many of the films already in the list. For example, for Welcome to Destination Shanghai (2003) and Seafood (2001) the book only mentions that they "wallow in the sex trade" with no description of the plot or anything else about them (page 35). For Godzilla, the only reason I can think as to why it was left out is that the book doesn't explicitly call out the film's name in italics like the other movies in the book, instead referring to it as "Ishiro Honda's 1954 film" in the context of a little concluding sub-section called Goodnight and Godzilla.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

And to think the Schilling list I suggested was questioned because it wasn't clear whether the choices were vetted enough. Each and every film in Schilling's got a full form review, not just some passing mention is a lost paragraph. :shifty:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I agree (with Flavo), but I know inclusion in the Index (or List of Films Mentioned) is sometimes used as a criteria for deciding inclusion in official lists. Godzilla, Welcome to Destination Shanghai, and Seafood are all included in the index.

There will always be a bit of grey area. For example, I've pointed out that Criterion Collection Spine # 729 is "The Complete Jacques Tati" and includes seven short films though on the Criterion website the shorts are listed as "special features" so that seemingly disqualifies them from inclusion in the list. However, I believe there is another instance where the reverse happened, I just don't remember what it was.

Ultimately, it's hard to decide what another's intent is (or should be).
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Onderhond wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 9:15 pm And to think the Schilling list I suggested was questioned because it wasn't clear whether the choices were vetted enough. Each and every film in Schilling's got a full form review, not just some passing mention is a lost paragraph. :shifty:
I fully support including the Schilling list personally. Regardless of how the Asian Cinema list was created, in general I think it is actually a pretty good overview of various Asian film production markets for the most part for the 20th century. I mean you can always say, 'it leaves out X' or 'why does it include Y' but given the very broad topic its trying to cover, I like the list personally. I've been actively working on it lately just because I tend to gravitate to more interesting lists that aren't just 'The 1000 Best Films Ever' according to some random critic with the same group of films being mentioned in every list. That's why I support adopting stuff like the Schilling list and the Strange Cinema list. They just bring different perspectives that aren't represented in a lot of other lists.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 9:26 pm Regardless of how the Asian Cinema list was created, in general I think it is actually a pretty good overview of various Asian film production markets for the most part for the 20th century.
Oh, I agree, the Tom Vick list is one of the few I've actively sought out to get recommendations from. I was jus commenting on the variable standards. I'm just really surprised at the little info is given for films mentioned. I thought it would be at least 2 or 3 paragraphs per film.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Onderhond wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 9:29 pm
flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 22nd, 2021, 9:26 pm Regardless of how the Asian Cinema list was created, in general I think it is actually a pretty good overview of various Asian film production markets for the most part for the 20th century.
Oh, I agree, the Tom Vick list is one of the few I've actively sought out to get recommendations from. I was jus commenting on the variable standards. I'm just really surprised at the little info is given for films mentioned. I thought it would be at least 2 or 3 paragraphs per film.
With some films it is. Like with Zhang Yimou, several of his films like Raise the Red Lantern, Hero and Shanghai Triad get longer write-ups than a couple of sentences. The book basically takes the approach of with each sub-heading, it does a deep dive into a handful of directors then breezes through at a higher level some additional films. Like in the anime section, Hayao Miyazaki gets a chunky write-up along with Akira and Ghost in the Shell and with J-horror Kiyoshi Kurosawa probably gets the biggest piece of the pie. So there is a method to its madness. I think Tom Vick was just trying to strike a balance with an actual useful guide that reads well cover to cover as opposed to a massive movie guide tomb that's just a giant bulleted list of movies (like Leonard Maltin's yearly movie guides for instance). Completely independent of the quality of the list, I'm finding the book a very nice read in general. It has a good flow to it.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Ok, so I've skimmed through the book and wanted to summarize what I think should be the proposed updates to the Asian Cinema list:
[*]Add Cowboy Bebop (1998) (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213338/)
It's in the index and given a paragraph in the book like many of the films already in the list.
[*]Add Godzilla (1954) (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047034/)
In the index and given it's own mini-section
[*]Remove Gumnam (1954) and add Gumnaam (1965) (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247394/
I think this was just a simple case of adding the wrong movie.
[*]Add Kashmir Ki Kali (1964) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058257/
In the index and also discussed in a special section dedicated to actress Sharmila Tagore
[*]Add Memoirs of a Geisha https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397535/
In the index and mentioned in two separate special sections discussing the actors Gong Li and Koji Yakusho
[*]Bu jian a.k.a. The Missing (2003) https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/bu+jian/
Not in the index but is discussed in a special section on Lee Kang-Sheng and given more of a write-up that some films on the list and in the index.

Iffy on these:
[*]Inuyasha (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290223/)
It is in the index but is only mentioned in passing as a TV series for children. "Even series aimed at kids, like Inuyasha, feature labyrinthine plots that confound their elders."
[*]Green Hornet TV series (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059991/)
Also in the index but also just mentioned in passing in the section discussing Bruce Lee's career.
[*] Ringu: Final Chapter (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235134/)
Not in the index but mention in the same section as the other Ringu sequels that are in the list
[*}Confession of Pain https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0834902/
Not in the index but briefly discussed in the section talking about Infernal Affairs
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 23rd, 2021, 3:00 pm Ok, so I've skimmed through the book and wanted to summarize what I think should be the proposed updates to the Asian Cinema list:
All of this sounds reasonable to me.
flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 23rd, 2021, 3:00 pm Iffy on these:
I don't have a strong opinion on these.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

mjf314 wrote: ↑March 24th, 2021, 12:51 am
flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 23rd, 2021, 3:00 pm Ok, so I've skimmed through the book and wanted to summarize what I think should be the proposed updates to the Asian Cinema list:
All of this sounds reasonable to me.
flavo5000 wrote: ↑March 23rd, 2021, 3:00 pm Iffy on these:
I don't have a strong opinion on these.
I agree with all the additions (even if I'm not a fan of the addition of series, thanks it's just a short one and the precedent has already been set I guess).
On a similar note, Inuyasha did sound very parenthetical to me, so we can skip this one at least ..
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thanks flavo. Mjf told me that he didn't read the book, and just used the Mubi list as the source for the icm list, so some films slipped through the cracks.

Based on what you've shared so far, I'm inclined to include everything that's mentioned in the index, unless there's a huge discrepancy in what is and is not included there compared to how much is written about each film.

I'd prefer to wait until you've gone through the book and do all the updates in one go, instead of piece by piece. Your first batch all seem like reasonable inclusions to me, but I'm also iffy on some of the other ones.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Fergenaprido wrote: ↑March 24th, 2021, 1:02 am Based on what you've shared so far, I'm inclined to include everything that's mentioned in the index, unless there's a huge discrepancy in what is and is not included there compared to how much is written about each film.
What is our general policy on official lists - mentions in text or inclusion in the index? Which is preferable?
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

xianjiro wrote: ↑March 24th, 2021, 1:05 am
Fergenaprido wrote: ↑March 24th, 2021, 1:02 am Based on what you've shared so far, I'm inclined to include everything that's mentioned in the index, unless there's a huge discrepancy in what is and is not included there compared to how much is written about each film.
What is our general policy on official lists - mentions in text or inclusion in the index? Which is preferable?
I don't believe there is a firm policy, and I think most of the lists based on books were adopted by The Guys before we had any guidelines on adopting official lists. In general, though, I think more than just a passing mention is needed for inclusion in a list, but there's no hard and fast rule, and each book is different: some include filmographies or indices which clearly list every film mentioned, others are haphazard, and others are not organized at all and require a lot of work to comb through and establish which films should and should not be included.

For this specific book (without having read it), my inclination is to rely primarily on the films listed in the Index as a starting point, and then go from there.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

PTU and The Hands of Orlac will join the Eureka! Masters of Cinema list. I'm happy about Orlac because I've already checked it. :wub:
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Might be a good time to upgrade by PTU DVD.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Why haven't we done anything about U2 3D? It's just a concert film and it's impossible to see anywhere.

I'm also annoyed as a U2 lover that I can't see it.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

kongs_speech wrote: ↑March 26th, 2021, 12:25 am Why haven't we done anything about U2 3D? It's just a concert film and it's impossible to see anywhere.

We don't do anything about lost films, too, so ..

And I mean people have seen this movie and it might return anytime on DVD or something
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

kongs_speech wrote: ↑March 26th, 2021, 12:25 am Why haven't we done anything about U2 3D? It's just a concert film and it's impossible to see anywhere.

what? you mean, like, write a bot to sign up for bogus IMDb accounts and rate it 1 ⭐?

and so the bot accounts won't stand out so much, it should rate other films that belong in the toplists all 10s. Lots and lots of them so IMDb will never suspect, but then again, they rarely do. ;)