Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Foxtrot, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Official lists updates

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

Oscar nominees came out.

Picture
Father
Judas and the Black Messiah
Mank
Minari
Nomadland
Promising Young Woman
Sound of Metal
Trial of the Chicago 7

International
Another Round
Better Days
Collective
The Man Who Sold His Skin
Quo Vadis Aida
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Great, now maybe I'll finally get around to seeing a few of them. I think this is the farthest behind I've been in Oscar season since...1976?
Nathan Treadway
Donator

I was going to see The Father last Friday, but, other things happened. Other than that, I've seen the rest of the BP nominees. I have 7 of the total list of nominees that I need to see, 4 of which are shorts, so, I'll definitely get all of them in, probably when the shorts program is released closer to the ceremony.

EDIT: Is this the first time a Documentary has been nominated for International Film? (Collectiv)
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

I was hoping "First Cow" would get some Oscar love.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Of the Picture nominees, I'm missing only The Father, Mank and The Trial of the Chicago 7.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

All I've seen so far of the whole list of nominees is Tenet. Every one of the past 7 years I'd seen every BP nominee before the awards, and most before the nominations. Fuck you COVID.

There's my first world problems rant out of the way. Meh, maybe it's good for me to get out of the habit of caring about the Oscars, finally. Guess I'll see if it changes next year.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

RIDICULOUS!
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Nathan Treadway wrote: March 15th, 2021, 1:09 pm EDIT: Is this the first time a Documentary has been nominated for International Film? (Collectiv)
1. Go to International Feature Noms list
2. Select genre tag "documentary"
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

:turned: .. just going by that fix (assuming our tags are correct), The Missing Picture (2013) was the first real exception to the rule; Waltz with Bashir (2008) did it before, and it differs from your usual docs of course, falls between the cracks somehow.
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

OldAle1 wrote: March 15th, 2021, 12:51 pm Great, now maybe I'll finally get around to seeing a few of them. I think this is the farthest behind I've been in Oscar season since...1976?
1987 for me... Still, I'm glad to notice the Reznor/Ross team has 2 nominations, one for Soul, and one for Mank. That's quite a feat...
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

Torgo wrote: March 15th, 2021, 2:50 pm
Nathan Treadway wrote: March 15th, 2021, 1:09 pm EDIT: Is this the first time a Documentary has been nominated for International Film? (Collectiv)
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

:turned: .. just going by that fix (assuming our tags are correct), The Missing Picture (2013) was the first real exception to the rule; Waltz with Bashir (2008) did it before, and it differs from your usual docs of course, falls between the cracks somehow.
Last year's Honeyland was a documentary as well...
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

You're absolutely right, cinephage. That didn't appear because the tag function isn't working anymore for non-Beta for releases after 2016 :/ - it's a shame.

The point that Collectiv was not the first documentary to make it into the "foreign" category could be proven by my half-cooked attempt, still. Thanks though for pointing it out, of course :)

cinephage wrote: March 15th, 2021, 2:56 pm Still, I'm glad to notice the Reznor/Ross team has 2 nominations, one for Soul, and one for Mank. That's quite a feat...
Yep, the team already hit twice at this year's golden globes - it's phenomenal and I do not begrudge them. Really exciting to see Reznor becoming a heavyweight for score composing in the whole decade of 2010s. I prefer Trent Reznor's accomplishments in this field to most of his NIN output - don't tell that the 90s kids. :ph43r:
Last edited by Torgo on March 15th, 2021, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Treadway
Donator

cinephage wrote: March 15th, 2021, 2:57 pm
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

I had completely forgotten that it was nominated in International last year until after I posted that. But, Collectiv is only the 2nd.
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

I've seen all of the picture nominees. Of the foreign language ones I've only seen Another Round but I'll get to the rest.
Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro »

What?!?! A Chinese blockbuster got nominated for foreign language film? Ridiculous. /s

Or actually, there are worthwhile Chinese movies that get on the all time blockbusters list and they should not be dismissed. I watched quite a few recently. Better Days was certainly the highlight of the bunch, but many of the others (except the comedies) were enjoyable at least.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Nathan Treadway wrote: March 15th, 2021, 12:49 pm Oscar nominees came out.

Picture
Father
Mank
Minari
Nomadland
Promising Young Woman
Sound of Metal
Trial of the Chicago 7

International
Another Round
Better Days
Collective
Quo Vadis Aida
Nathan's also added this list for our checking obsession convenience! Thanks Nathan! :poshclap:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/93rd ... waynathan/

edit: will also be interesting to see how Mank does. I'm not saying it's not good, but Hollywood does rather like to fawn all over movies about itself, doesn't it? ergo Argo
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Nathan Treadway wrote: March 15th, 2021, 3:21 pm
cinephage wrote: March 15th, 2021, 2:57 pm

3. ???
4. PROFIT!

I had completely forgotten that it was nominated in International last year until after I posted that. But, Collectiv is only the 2nd.
Colectiv is not the second documentary nominated in the international picture category, as Torgo pointed out above - it's the fourth. It is, as far as I can tell, the first one to be nominated in BOTH best documentary and best international picture. (Edit: It's the second, after Honeyland)

Anyway, both official lists have been updated. The Father, Judas and the Black Messiah, The Man Who Sold His Skin and Quo Vadis, Aida? all become official checks - the rest were already official.
Last edited by Fergenaprido on March 15th, 2021, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Just last year (or the year before?), Honeyland also got nominated in both Documentary and International Film.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Teproc wrote: March 15th, 2021, 8:31 pm Just last year (or the year before?), Honeyland also got nominated in both Documentary and International Film.
You're right. :facepalm: I probably said the same thing then too. For some reason I only remembered it getting nominated for one of them.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

So every film in Criterion's Marlon Riggs set will become a check, right? None of them are classified as mere "extras"?
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Gorro wrote: March 15th, 2021, 5:59 pm What?!?! A Chinese blockbuster got nominated for foreign language film? Ridiculous. /s

Or actually, there are worthwhile Chinese movies that get on the all time blockbusters list and they should not be dismissed. I watched quite a few recently. Better Days was certainly the highlight of the bunch, but many of the others (except the comedies) were enjoyable at least.
Hey! I have the feeling you're poking fun at me. :lol:

I haven't looked closely at the foreign noms until now and didn't know Better Days. It has so far 100% positive ratings on RT, a 7.6 at over 3000 votes on IMDb and now even the Oscar nomination - cool! Would have missed it until now.

xianjiro wrote: March 15th, 2021, 6:01 pm edit: will also be interesting to see how Mank does. I'm not saying it's not good, but Hollywood does rather like to fawn all over movies about itself, doesn't it? ergo Argo
I'm not saying Mank is bad, but already one of the least interesting of the whole bunch and it got the most nominations. Well. <_<
There's hardly a movie theme I enjoy less than movies about movies, about filmmaking and the movie industry itself. Yeah I know the academy and critics adore it, I'm more interested in the final product, pardon me. You also don't want to know how the sausage is made, hm? :ph43r:
zuma
Donator

Post by zuma »

Ebbywebby wrote: March 15th, 2021, 11:10 pm So every film in Criterion's Marlon Riggs set will become a check, right? None of them are classified as mere "extras"?
The criterion site lays it out pretty cleanly.

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/4431- ... rlon-riggs

All the films listed with pictures are part of the set/release and will be part of the official list.

His student film and the documentary about his life are extras.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

zuma wrote: March 15th, 2021, 11:15 pm
Ebbywebby wrote: March 15th, 2021, 11:10 pm So every film in Criterion's Marlon Riggs set will become a check, right? None of them are classified as mere "extras"?
The criterion site lays it out pretty cleanly.

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/4431- ... rlon-riggs

All the films listed with pictures are part of the set/release and will be part of the official list.
Well, my question had the shorts "with pictures" like Affirmations, Anthem and No Regret in mind.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Torgo wrote: March 15th, 2021, 11:10 pm
xianjiro wrote: March 15th, 2021, 6:01 pm edit: will also be interesting to see how Mank does. I'm not saying it's not good, but Hollywood does rather like to fawn all over movies about itself, doesn't it? ergo Argo
I'm not saying Mank is bad, but already one of the least interesting of the whole bunch and it got the most nominations. Well. <_<
There's hardly a movie theme I enjoy less than movies about movies, about filmmaking and the movie industry itself. Yeah I know the academy and critics adore it, I'm more interested in the final product, pardon me. You also don't want to know how the sausage is made, hm? :ph43r:
This is pretty much my point. Occasionally these movies really resonate: Sunset Blvd or The Artist come to mind, but they are often filled with inside information and navel gazing that makes everyone, other than the fawning fan, yawn a bit. So many of these films come in as average over the long haul which, to me, is because they don't necessarily resonate with the general public.

Sure, everyone was happy that the Hollywood people got some people out of the American embassy in Teheran, but to listen to Hollywood tell the story, it's almost like they saved everyone.

I watched Mank recently and thought it was okay, a bit funny or interesting at times and certainly the creative team did a magnificent job of executing the artistic vision. It's also nice to see some quality on Netflix rather than to have to wait a couple years before these nominees start streaming, but when I saw 10 nominations, 🙄.

(Unfortunately, it's always well after Awards Frenzy before I watch all the films, so I'm unable to comment on which I think is best of the bunch.)

Well, will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I won't be surprised if Mank does grab a design award or two. I could also see Oldman winning, but he's 'running' against a dead, Black man and the only thing Hollywood seems to prefer to honoring itself is assuaging it's "liberal white guilt." (Haven't seen Ma Rainey's Black Bottom yet, but want to, so maybe, maybe Boseman is deserving of the award, but I think Hollywood will just go for the "get out a handkerchief" moment ... Hopkins already has a statue ... (and I haven't seen The Father yet either, so maybe he deserves it {but won't get it})

I may be wrong - I'm not willing to bet money, but over the years, this is what I've been lead to expect from the Hollywood prize machine. It's also one reason I only pay attention to the nominees and ignore the "extravaganza" from red carpet to podium to after parties. 🥱 🥱 🥱
Last edited by xianjiro on March 16th, 2021, 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

xianjiro wrote: March 16th, 2021, 12:24 am
Well, will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I won't be surprised if Mank does grab a design award or two. I could also see Oldman winning, but he's 'running' against a dead, Black man and the only thing Hollywood seems to prefer to honoring itself is assuaging it's "liberal white guilt." (Haven't seen Ma Rainey's Black Bottom yet, but want to, so maybe, maybe Bozeman is deserving of the award, but I think Hollywood will just go for the "get out a handkerchief" moment ... Hopkins already has a statue ... (and I haven't seen The Father yet either, so maybe he deserves it {but won't get it})
Well, I haven't seen Ma Rainey, but I will say Boseman was a hell of an actor given the right film. His performance in the James Brown biopic Get On Up was easily better than any of the actual Oscar-nominated performances that year.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Nathan Treadway wrote: March 15th, 2021, 12:49 pm Oscar nominees came out.

Picture
Father
Mank
Minari
Nomadland
Promising Young Woman
Sound of Metal
Trial of the Chicago 7

International
Another Round
Better Days
Collective
Quo Vadis Aida
Still so out of date with the Oscars... Promising Young Woman is the only one I know anything about, though I’ve seen the titles of Mank and Nomadland (know nothing other than the titles though). :shrug:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

flavo5000 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 2:43 am
xianjiro wrote: March 16th, 2021, 12:24 am
Well, will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I won't be surprised if Mank does grab a design award or two. I could also see Oldman winning, but he's 'running' against a dead, Black man and the only thing Hollywood seems to prefer to honoring itself is assuaging it's "liberal white guilt." (Haven't seen Ma Rainey's Black Bottom yet, but want to, so maybe, maybe Bozeman is deserving of the award, but I think Hollywood will just go for the "get out a handkerchief" moment ... Hopkins already has a statue ... (and I haven't seen The Father yet either, so maybe he deserves it {but won't get it})
Well, I haven't seen Ma Rainey, but I will say Boseman was a hell of an actor given the right film. His performance in the James Brown biopic Get On Up was easily better than any of the actual Oscar-nominated performances that year.
crap - I always get it wrong when I can't remember for certain how the name is spelled. Fixed my earlier post, but the error lives on thanks to quotations. :P

What you said is pretty much in line with my thinking. Typical Oscar Voter: "Shit, we missed out recognizing his work while he was alive, so we have to give him the Oscar this time."
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Where to Watch Every 2021 Oscar-Nominated Film

sorry - not so sure this is very useful beyond the USofA
Nathan Treadway
Donator

xianjiro wrote: March 17th, 2021, 7:55 am Where to Watch Every 2021 Oscar-Nominated Film

A few they missed:

Loci is available for the next couple days here tv.festhome.com/ff/festival-internacional-de-cine-de-lebu-21/3081/181714

Hunger Strike is streaming on Pluto
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Nathan Treadway wrote: March 18th, 2021, 1:55 am
xianjiro wrote: March 17th, 2021, 7:55 am Where to Watch Every 2021 Oscar-Nominated Film

A few they missed:

Loci is available for the next couple days here tv.festhome.com/ff/festival-internacional-de-cine-de-lebu-21/3081/181714

Hunger Strike is streaming on Pluto
Thanks Nathan! Yeah, that list from Variety isn't the best ... probably equal parts helpful and click-bait, but I now know which titles are on Netflix without having to use JustWatch. I'm set to see more titles before the awards are given out than, like, ever! :woot: And now I have one less short to find. :cheers:
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

The long-hyped Snyder Cut of Justice League has finally been released today and starts to an impressive (and of course ridiculous) 8.9 at 11k votes on IMDb. It should enter the Top 250 by tonight, but has just about missed the ICM update cycle. Bets are on if it will still become a new official check by Monday. ;)
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Let's hope it tumbles quickly. Not looking forward to 4 hours of 4:3 superhero bollocks.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

The aspect ratio should objectively be the most interesting thing about this release. Name me another big mainstream film, let alone CGI/action bluster, which was not released in widescreen in the last, mh, 50 years? I'm curious how that plays out, and otherwise just can't imagine how the contents of this hideous DC team-up could have been salvaged ..
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Torgo wrote: March 18th, 2021, 2:25 pm The aspect ratio should objectively be the most interesting thing about this release. Name me another big mainstream film, let alone CGI/action bluster, which was not released in widescreen in the last, mh, 50 years?
Not sure, but the fact that I can't remember any is a good thing. 4:3 is horrible (regardless of artistic excuses).
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

(D:) But how will you enjoy many of the pre-60s ....
Mh, nevermind.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Torgo wrote: March 18th, 2021, 2:30 pm (D:) But how will you enjoy many of the pre-60s ....
Mh, nevermind.
:lol:

I do have Tetsuo in my top 10, but that is despite its aspect ratio.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

The aspect ratio (which I didn't know about - I've hardly been paying attention to this story given my huge antipathy to Zack Snyder) is actually about the only thing that makes it interesting to me.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Dare we question “visionary director” Zack Snyder?

I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Zack Snyder has creative visions?
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

I mean, ya, Snyder pretty consistently has a vision for his work. Reviews for the Snyder cut are pretty consistently citing the difference in both the film, and how his vision comes through. Mind you I don't think he's ever made a film I would call better than okay. His "vision" is almost entirely the problem with films like Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman. It's not a vision I enjoy, but he certainly brings one to his work.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Torgo wrote: March 18th, 2021, 2:13 pm The long-hyped Snyder Cut of Justice League has finally been released today and starts to an impressive (and of course ridiculous) 8.9 at 11k votes on IMDb. It should enter the Top 250 by tonight, but has just about missed the ICM update cycle. Bets are on if it will still become a new official check by Monday. ;)
It's now entered the Top 250 at #117 with a weighted rating of 8.2 (compared to a raw rating of 8.8 on the film page). It will fall off the list eventually, but I think the speed at which it does depends on how many non-fans feel like dedicating 4 hours of their life to see a different version of a film they probably already saw and thought was just okay (or worse). :D Could be out before the end of the month, though.