Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Welcome to all the new members! let's all introduce ourselves here!

RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

St. Gloede wrote: January 16th, 2021, 9:00 pm I can't even begin to imagine the mess if I lost my IMDb account, especially if I didn't have my viewings saved anywhere else. My condolences (not sure you love making lists as much as myself or some people here, but IMDb is probably my key resource there).

Mirror is on my shortlist too. Got to rewatch it on the big screen 5 years ago and it was incredible, and I love Providence (and Resnais up until the 80s in general), Chinatown, Celine and Julie, Madame De ..., etc. Great line-up.

Who would you say are your favourite directors?
I used to keep a couple lists until I realised being organised was too much work, though being exposed to list-making fiends might get me back in the groove.

Are you unsubtly nudging me into making a list? :lol: I have a number one with the rest unranked, favourite films of each director in brackets:

1. Alain Resnais (Providence, Hiroshima Mon Amour)

Yasujiro Ozu (Tokyo Story, Floating Weeds)
Agnes Varda (Beaches of Agnes, Cleo from 5 to 7)
Abbas Kiarostami (Where is my Friend's Home, And Life Goes On)
Jean Renoir (Rules of the Game, Boudu Saved from Drowning)
Ingmar Bergman (Persona, Wild Strawberries)
Max Ophuls (Madame De, Letter from Unknown Woman)
Jacques Rivette (Celine and Julie, Out 1)
Eric Rohmer (My Night at Maud's, Claire's Knee)
Martin Scorsese (Raging Bull, Goodfellas)
Michelangelo Antonioni (L'Eclisse, L'Avventura)
Kenji Mizoguchi (Ugetsu, Sansho the Bailiff)
F.W Murnau (Sunrise, Last Laugh)
Michael Powell (Black Narcissus, Colonel Blimp)
Shohei Imamura (Vengeance is Mine, Profound Desires of the Gods)
Rainer Werner Fassbinder (Berlin Alexanderplatz, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul)
Edward Yang (Yi Yi, Brighter Summer Day)
Victor Erice (Spirit of the Beehive, El Sur)
Luis Garcia Berlanga (El Verdugo, Placido)
Andrei Tarkovsky (Mirror, Stalker)
Fritz Lang (Testament of Dr. Mabuse, Die Nibelungen)
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

And my ploy worked!

Plenty of overlaps there. Especially happy to see Agnes Varda high up.

How many films have you seen by Berlanga? Love El Verdugo and Placido, but only seen 6 (have Calabach on a low 8 and only like the rest, That Happy Couple being the weakest so far, but have seen no films made after El Verdugo - and it seems he only got stronger and stronger).
RolandKirkSunglasses

I've seen 6 from Berlanga, loved El Verdugo, Placido and Bienvenido Mr. Marshall, liked Calabuch too. I've seen two of his late films which have more swearing and nudity than his classics: "La Vaquilla" is about a group of Republican soldiers trying to steal a bull from the other side and have to return across enemy lines, I saw it with uneven subtitles which doesn't help, some fun moments but not his best; "Everyone to Jail" is a cross-section of Spanish society in prison, like "Placido" there's lots of group scenes with all sorts going on in the foreground and background, some of the humour is crude in places but the way Berlanga orchestrates the action makes up for it.

Wish I could see more from Berlanga, his international reputation isn't on Bunuel's level and that's a shame.
jal90

Post by jal90 »

RolandKirkSunglasses wrote: January 17th, 2021, 1:00 pmWish I could see more from Berlanga, his international reputation isn't on Bunuel's level and that's a shame.
In general I'd say there is a sort of cultural barrier preventing this and other major titles of Spanish costumbrismo from getting a bigger international audience. They don't appear sophisticated or orderly (Berlanga's characters in particular are a noisy mess and it's like that on purpose), and they often make use of very regionalistic expressions and conflicts. But they are awesome in my opinion. It hits a lot different if you relate to its noise and they are deep down great chroniclers of their time as well as fantastic social satires.

He should totally be on Buñuel's level, but Buñuel is who he is, a staple of surrealism, which is far more prestigious as a movement in film history and it has had a strong academic focus on how it shaped film language that so far I don't think Berlanga's style has.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

RolandKirkSunglasses wrote: January 16th, 2021, 10:10 pm Yasujiro Ozu (Tokyo Story, Floating Weeds)
Kenji Mizoguchi (Ugetsu, Sansho the Bailiff)
Shohei Imamura (Vengeance is Mine, Profound Desires of the Gods)
Edward Yang (Yi Yi, Brighter Summer Day)
May I show you the way to the Asian mafia? .. (We go by the most universal name, so you don't have to opt for either yakuza or triads!)
:sweat:
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

Why worry armour, I prefer older films generally so it’s not surprising. The period from 1934 to say 1964 is the best period in films for me, obviously with some exceptions.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Yes, I have noticed a large amount of Barlenga's films remain without subtitles. It is quite a shame, though luckily we live in a time when this is consistently fixed.

Like Jal I don't think he has a great chance of ever catching up to Bunuel's stature, and not only because Bunuel's link to surrealism, but because Bunuel had such an extensive ouvre, but in terms of the number of films and geographical diversity. The majority of films he is known for are also not Spanish, but French, and with several big names, including Deneuve - which gives an immediate advantage (though even some of his Mexican films, mainly Exterminating Angel and Los Olvidados are better remembered than Barlenga's films).

I don't think we can ever expect Barlenga to reach his level of appreciation, and my personal bias (Bunuel is my second favourite director after JLG) I think that's fairly reasonable - but I can see him raising in notoriety - especially as he is already seen as one of the best Spanish directors. Could he overtake Saura or Almodovar, maybe, maybe not, but I do think how the world sees Spain will play a major part of this. If Spain once again becomes a bigger part of the cinematic conversation and solidifies itself as one of the major exporters of film - the further interest and rediscovery would come as well. (Going into standard media stores you can find random Sacha Guitry boxsets of his least known films, so a bigger cinematic Spain would undoubtedly lead to added exposure for their biggest filmmakers).
RolandKirkSunglasses

jal90 wrote: January 17th, 2021, 1:31 pm In general I'd say there is a sort of cultural barrier preventing this and other major titles of Spanish costumbrismo from getting a bigger international audience. They don't appear sophisticated or orderly (Berlanga's characters in particular are a noisy mess and it's like that on purpose), and they often make use of very regionalistic expressions and conflicts. But they are awesome in my opinion. It hits a lot different if you relate to its noise and they are deep down great chroniclers of their time as well as fantastic social satires.

He should totally be on Buñuel's level, but Buñuel is who he is, a staple of surrealism, which is far more prestigious as a movement in film history and it has had a strong academic focus on how it shaped film language that so far I don't think Berlanga's style has.
I guess post-civil war Spain wasn't a sexy topic for European audiences at the time, in a way I understand: France, Italy and the rest had to rebuild after WW2. Films like Bicycle Thieves were more relatable for audiences.

I think Alfred Hitchcock once called Buñuel the best director in the world, if Berlanga received a similar endorsement during his heyday things would've been so different.
St. Gloede wrote: January 17th, 2021, 3:37 pm Yes, I have noticed a large amount of Barlenga's films remain without subtitles. It is quite a shame, though luckily we live in a time when this is consistently fixed.

Like Jal I don't think he has a great chance of ever catching up to Bunuel's stature, and not only because Bunuel's link to surrealism, but because Bunuel had such an extensive ouvre, but in terms of the number of films and geographical diversity. The majority of films he is known for are also not Spanish, but French, and with several big names, including Deneuve - which gives an immediate advantage (though even some of his Mexican films, mainly Exterminating Angel and Los Olvidados are better remembered than Barlenga's films).

I don't think we can ever expect Barlenga to reach his level of appreciation, and my personal bias (Bunuel is my second favourite director after JLG) I think that's fairly reasonable - but I can see him raising in notoriety - especially as he is already seen as one of the best Spanish directors. Could he overtake Saura or Almodovar, maybe, maybe not, but I do think how the world sees Spain will play a major part of this. If Spain once again becomes a bigger part of the cinematic conversation and solidifies itself as one of the major exporters of film - the further interest and rediscovery would come as well. (Going into standard media stores you can find random Sacha Guitry boxsets of his least known films, so a bigger cinematic Spain would undoubtedly lead to added exposure for their biggest filmmakers).
Buñuel leaving Spain was probably the best thing for his career, I don't know the full ins and out of the Spanish film industry under Franco but he would've had a tough time getting his surrealist films past the censors, the same way Berlanga's films were censored. The international perception of Spain is an interesting angle, I was reading about Japanese film company Daiei making period dramas in the 50s to sell Japanese "exoticism" to foreign audiences, definitely worked with Ugetsu and Gate of Hell. I'm not sure Spain offered that same level of exoticism to other European countries, during the Cold War films behind the Iron Curtain would've been perceived as more exotic or interesting in my opinion. Ironically if Spain had entered the second world war their subsequent films may have resonated with international audiences.

So basically we can blame Franco for everything :lol:
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Welcome to all the new members! Let's discuss movie directors here! :whistling:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

So, hi, I haven't been on a film board in some time but years ago I was for a time very active on IMDB, particularly in the Oscar Buzz and Classic Film boards. I see a few names I recognize from the Classic Film boards here which is awesome. I was also active on the Auteurs/MUBI boards for a time way back but that was years ago.

My film watching has slowly nose dived over the last decade. I got married, got a good job, took my writing more seriously, and slowly watched my free time evaporate. I used to average 100 movies in a month at times and would always see at least 80-100 movies from any new year while also watching tons of classics. Recent years I'm more at 30-40 and the last couple are even worse. Last night I realized I hadn't updated my "film list" which I've been maintaining since 2005, in probably 4 or 5 months. I went and caught up and realized it wasn't hard. In that time I'd probably only seen 15 films. I had a period right after moving to work from home last March where I did watch quite a lot, I saw probably 50-60 in a span of two months, which for me nowadays is fantastic, but it dropped off again as life got busier and I almost felt burned out.

I actually only found this board because somewhere I discuss other things had a thread on what's happening to online discussion and the Scorsese essay making the rounds, and it made me think of the IMDB boards, which led me to searching for any info about the Classic Film boards on IMDB and if the users went anywhere, which led me to searching the Doubling the Canon and Fixing the Oscars projects from back then, which led to a post linking to the old ICM forums, which led me here, lol. Quite a journey, but after seeing members I remember and seeing that there were so many here still discussing film passionately I knew I had to sign up. I hope the passion rubs off on me a bit. There's no way I'll ever get back to my days of watching 100 movies a month, I just don't have the time, but I'd love to at least get back to seeing a handful each week.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Welcome Bing !
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Welcome! Glad to have you here.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

Welcome! Movie-watching does ebb & flow due to inner and outer circumstances.... And less may be more at that.
You mentioned your writing - care to say anything more about that?
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
Dozzyrok

Post by Dozzyrok »

Hi! Found this site by namesearching and saw an entire thread talking about a letterboxd list I made. I like to talk film! Maybe I can talk film here!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Dozzyrok wrote: February 18th, 2021, 6:50 am Hi! Found this site by namesearching and saw an entire thread talking about a letterboxd list I made. I like to talk film! Maybe I can talk film here!
Welcome Dozzyrok. :)

Which lb list are you referring to?
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

https://letterboxd.com/dozzyrok/list/maximalist-cinema/

I opened a thread around that one some time ago, since I thought it aligned very much with the things I liked in films, but hadn't really heard of the term that much of the time :)

Welcome Dozzyrok, happy to have you on board!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Probably this one: https://letterboxd.com/dozzyrok/list/maximalist-cinema/

(looks like Onderhond beat me by one minute)
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Really exciting to get 2 new members in one day! You have come to the right place, I can tell you that. We don't just have DtC, we have 3 monthly challenges, monthly polls, the world cup, film of the week (and SWAPS - which can be even more fun) - and best of all our own festival - ICMFFF (every November/December).

We also have our own podcast, Talking Images: https://open.spotify.com/show/3GhRXnb6OzOnfae2Uvkvus

And we're currently in the process of creating our own online magazine, iCinema.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I used to be on the IMDb boards as well, was an on and off regular at Film General (though largely disappeared around '07/'08 as we set up an alternative Film General without the trolls), kept checking in though, and used to participate in a few threads/projects on the Classics board too.

I was also in a similar position with seeing less and less films due to work, marriage, etc. (all-time low was a shocking 178 in a year) though for me Covid changed all that around and I can do around 50-60 a month again now.

Also happy to get someone so ahead of the curve that they may have dubbed/popularized a new film genre/style.

Welcome both!
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

St. Gloede wrote: February 18th, 2021, 8:59 am (and SWAPS - which can be even more fun)
Not using the full name I see tehe
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Onderhond wrote: February 18th, 2021, 9:05 am
St. Gloede wrote: February 18th, 2021, 8:59 am (and SWAPS - which can be even more fun)
Not using the full name I see tehe
tehe

No, they actually changed the name, for uhm, publicity reasons?

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Greetings to Bing and Dozzyrok. I'm wondering whether I might have encountered Bing back on the CFB... Perhaps under a different moniker?

Nice to have you both here!
That's all, folks!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I am pretty sure that Bing was Bing. I recall the name from the CFB days.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Bing147 wrote: February 17th, 2021, 7:35 pm So, hi, I haven't been on a film board in some time but years ago I was for a time very active on IMDB, particularly in the Oscar Buzz and Classic Film boards. I see a few names I recognize from the Classic Film boards here which is awesome.
Heya Bing. Long time, no see. You might enjoy this podcast episode in which myself and other icmforum members talked about the decline of film forums after IMDb imploded:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Ck2Fqw1vH5JRf8ei7SHDj

And then there is this episode in which Adam and Lauren discuss how they started icmforum.com and reflect on how their forum has now become the single most active movie forum on the web (well probably; we can't prove it):

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6w1jKK1i6822mOcTyW42Cn
Image Image Image
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

St. Gloede wrote: February 18th, 2021, 9:10 am No, they actually changed the name, for uhm, publicity reasons?
Haha, I can see how that's better for new members hitting these threads without context.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

sol wrote: February 18th, 2021, 11:59 am I am pretty sure that Bing was Bing. I recall the name from the CFB days.
:cheers:
That's all, folks!
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

That I was, though pretty sure I was technically Bing148 there (I had made a previous account years earlier from when I started actually using it with my normal online name, but lost access to the email it was tied to so I added 1, lol). Sol is one of the members here I definitely remember, I was a regular contributor to fixing the Oscars and posted semi regularly in your weekly viewings thread for a few years there, then for a numbers of years after I checked in every now and then but the decline in my film viewing didn't start with the closure of the IMDB boards. (though that hasn't helped, being part of a community keeps you engaged)

I'll definitely check out that podcast, sounds fascinating.

As for the person who asked about my writing, its a variety of things. I've been a part time game critic off and on for nearly 20 years. Around 2009 I actually stopped freelancing for a number of years but I picked it back up around 3 or 4 years ago. I've also tried my hand at fiction and have actually completed a few novels, though nothing that has managed to get published yet. I had some health issues in 2019-2020 that actually really slowed my writing down and although those are mostly behind me thankfully, I haven't been able to get back into my fiction as consistently as I would like since, though I'm slowly getting back to it. Writing reviews and finding time for that (which, you know, I actually get paid something for, lol) has been the top priority though and even that was tough to keep up with for a time. (I work a full time job on top of that. The writing is a nice bonus but I couldn't come close to living on it)
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I love how you went backwards in time, attacking logic and convention by naming yourself Bing147 rather than Bing149. Subversive!

Being a paid part-time film critic is pretty amazing. I'm quite envious.

Hope your health issues are quite behind you (and that you didn't have to pay through your teeth if you're in the US)
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

I appreciate it. I am in the US but the health issues are mostly behind me. Something I still have to manage, but its well under control and as long as I take care of myself should remain so. I thankfully have pretty good insurance so it wasn't TOO bad price wise, though still more than I would have liked.
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

Hello, my name is Carmel, I am going to drink Stella Artois and light a cigarette with a red lighter, I will check this forum back later, thanks everyone

Sincerely,

marcel
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

Btw, did you forget something?
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Hi, Marcel, please feel free to fit right in with the conversations, we have great challenges going on this month.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD, r/antinatalism recommends,..
the rest
ANARCHISTS, ANIMAL RIGHTS, Assisted suicide, Existential films, SOCIALIST CINEMA (an amalgamation of lists), Feminist lists, various GSSRM lists (aka LGBTQ+), 2010s bests, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, mah huge sci-fi list, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Carmel1379 wrote: April 14th, 2021, 4:32 pm Hello, my name is Carmel, I am going to drink Stella Artois and light a cigarette with a red lighter, I will check this forum back later, thanks everyone

Sincerely,

marcel
This would have been even more fitting for your 5,000th post celebration. ;)