Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Foxtrot, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Moderation and politics discussion

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

kongs_speech wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:08 am
OldAle1 wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:03 am
xianjiro wrote: January 12th, 2021, 3:23 am so true

wait, don't tell me, next you're going to say you actually like La La Land ;) :P
That sappy crap? No way. Now if Béla Tarr had directed it, in Hungarian, and it was 19 hours long with only 42 shots, maybe...
42 shots in 19 hours? Why don't you just watch Transformers, pleb? A real cinephile would only watch that film if it was one uninterrupted shot.
Russian Ark, the old testament take
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

xianjiro wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:10 am
OldAle1 wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:03 am

That sappy crap? No way. Now if Béla Tarr had directed it, in Hungarian, and it was 19 hours long with only 42 shots, maybe...
42 shots in 19 hours? Why don't you just watch Transformers, pleb? A real cinephile would only watch that film if it was one uninterrupted shot.
I've never been able to figure out if Russian Ark was a run of the mill hype movie or a conceptually bankrupt drama selling Frenchness to wine mums. Could be both, I suppose.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

blocho wrote: January 12th, 2021, 5:14 am
xianjiro wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:10 am

I've never been able to figure out if Russian Ark was a run of the mill hype movie or a conceptually bankrupt drama selling Frenchness to wine mums. Could be both, I suppose.
:lol: +1 :thumbsup:

thanks, I needed that laugh
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

FWIW, Canon in D is despised by string players mostly because
a) it's one of the most requested songs at weddings, and it just gets boring
b) if you're a cellist, it's already extremely boring to play in the first place
sebby

Post by sebby »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: January 11th, 2021, 7:50 pm but what level of personal attacks? I guess disagreements that reach the level of ad hominem?
Wait wait wait

Are my (totally justified, obviously) uncontrollable rancorous anger explosions going to be moderated now? If I can't call someone a piss-drinking goat-fucker what even is the point of the Politics forum.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

lol
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Just got home from a hard day at work. I ignored the last two pages of this thread, because I don't feel like reading it. At the moment I feel I have better things to do. If anyone made an extremely important post that I personally should read, please let me know. Otherwise, no harm done in ignoring a bunch of posts I guess.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

So the ignore function, as it turns out, is quite helpful.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

joachimt wrote: January 12th, 2021, 3:58 pm Just got home from a hard day at work. I ignored the last two pages of this thread, because I don't feel like reading it. At the moment I feel I have better things to do. If anyone made an extremely important post that I personally should read, please let me know. Otherwise, no harm done in ignoring a bunch of posts I guess.
We're making a politics subforum for the politics threads with stricter and more consistent moderation.

Other that I don't think so.
jal90

Post by jal90 »

This whole thread got me thinking, would it be possible to ignore users in certain threads or sections? This is a quiet forum and we all fundamentally respect each other when we talk about movies or about icm ranks... but political discussions and the like are a lot more inflammatory, which is kind of unbalanced. Like there's people whose opinion in certain areas could be interesting to me but they may be a chore to read in others.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

jal90 wrote: January 13th, 2021, 2:42 am This whole thread got me thinking, would it be possible to ignore users in certain threads or sections? This is a quiet forum and we all fundamentally respect each other when we talk about movies or about icm ranks... but political discussions and the like are a lot more inflammatory, which is kind of unbalanced. Like there's people whose opinion in certain areas could be interesting to me but they may be a chore to read in others.
Yeah, I'd be cool with that. I have no issue with engaging with the person I blocked today on non-political topics. By putting them on my ignore list, I didn't mean "I hate your fucking guts," more just "I strongly disagree on politics and your posts on the matter are frustrating me."
🏳️‍⚧️
PeacefulAnarchy

That's not possible. You will, however, be able able to ignore the politics forum as a whole
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I like the way it's set up where clicking on an ignored person's post is super easy if you choose to do so. That's kind of a way to manually achieve what jal90 is talking about.
🏳️‍⚧️
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Yeah, as kongs_speech said, I also find that frustration can be eased by the block function. I had blocked two people (not because I disagreed with them, but because of the fairly constant stream of profanities and invective against those they disagreed with).

However, I find that I have ended up clicking ''show post'' pretty much every time I see their posts (which is often as they both post quite a bit). I've removed one of these two from my blocked list as I have come to value their take. I will probably remove the other block as well.

I see the block option as a short-term thing, to de-stress and calm one's state of mind in these surrounds.
That's all, folks!
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Hi, I'm new to the site, is this a US Politics forum masquerading as a film community?
Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

PeacefulAnarchy

Dolwphin wrote: January 13th, 2021, 8:51 am Hi, I'm new to the site, is this a US Politics forum masquerading as a film community?
No, and we'd like to keep it that way.