Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

What's the meaning behind your username?

mightysparks
Site Admin

What's the meaning behind your username?

Post by mightysparks »

In 2004, I used to watch Sleepwalkers almost every night before I went to bed for a while. One night I happened to watch the credits as well and saw that the cat was played by 'Sparks' which I thought was the coolest cat name ever and started making my username Sparks (I am also still waiting for the day when I get a new cat to call Sparks). I then went to sign up with Runescape not long after and Sparks was taken, so I thought 'mighty' would be something cool to add to it. I've used it ever since.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

I've always been known as intothewild. Coincidentally a film came out with the same name.
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

"I'm American, honey. Our names don't mean shit."
tourdesb

Post by tourdesb »

The origin of my username is a long story, too long to be explained here...
Image Image Image
JCS

Post by JCS »

Just my initials. Boring!
Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor »

I got it from my favorite game back in 2000:

"Lilarcor is a sword in the Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn computer role-playing game. As an enchanted talking sword, it serves as a comic relief, with its various wisecracking comments, as well as its insatible thirst for blood, battle, and glory. Its backstory refers to an exceptionally stupid man named Lawrence Lilarcor who once fought an "epic" battle against a tree he thought to be an evil treant; it is said to be suspected, but not confirmed, that his spirit has been transferred into the sword. "

Was 13 years old then and have used the nick ever since. As for why I replaced the o with a zero I guess it was to make it unique back in those Counter-Strike 1.3 days, where every nick was in l337_zp34k.
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

Its a place I used to live in a town called Slough in England, you may have heard of it if you have seen The Office (Ricky Gervais)...I do not live there now but not because of The Office.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Cippenham on Jan 22 2012, 04:11:56 PM wrote:Its a place I used to live in a town called Slough in England, you may have heard of it if you have seen The Office (Ricky Gervais)...I do not live there now but not because of The Office.
My mum was born in Slough. Lived there for about the first ten years of her life. When I was younger my mum and I went down to London for a few days and went to Slough and visited the street she used to live on. I'm planning on going to a Slough Town football match at some point (though they don't actually play in Slough right now). Followed their results since I was a kid.
inmybubble

Post by inmybubble »

Friends tell me often that I'm somewhere away, like in the bubble or something. Also my opinios are sometimes totally different form my friends ones. Actually one my friend realized it after a little arguing about a movie "oh, that's why you are inmybubble. okay." Since they're right, I use inmybubble.
TheRedDeath

Post by TheRedDeath »

Mine is an Edgar Allan Poe reference.
afirm

Post by afirm »

When I was young all my friends nicknamed themselves with different skateboard brands. I weren't into skateboarding but when I used mIRC, I ended up calling myself Thefirm. But that nickname was taken on several games and internetpages, so therefore I changed the nickname to afirm.
Kowry

Post by Kowry »

When I was 14 or something, my school buddy tried to figure out how my name would be written in english-speaking countries and came up with "Cowry" (my first name is Kauri). Then when another buddy instructed me how to use IRC (via mIRC, I think), the "C" was changed into a "K".
Last edited by Kowry on January 23rd, 2012, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste »

In 2005 I tried to join last.fm undercover so my friends couldn't check my listening habits while I took advantage of the site. I tried to come up with something random and stupid. I picked the nickname basically because it's a visual idea. It means sad lamp light bulb in portuguese. I guess I got used to it, even though I still think it's a stupid nickname.

edit: I keep mixing up lamp and light bulb.
Last edited by lampadatriste on January 23rd, 2012, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

I'm an admirer (fan) of the writings of Frances ("Fanny") Burney; the handle goes back to my grad school days.
jakncoke

Post by jakncoke »

I used to go by my fav Pirate playey jasonbay but then he got traded and at the time i was mainly posting on one forum that was mainly video games. So i figured i'd mix a video game character and my fav alcohol drink and play off that
Mr Hulot

Post by Mr Hulot »

Named after the character Mr. Hulot from the films of Jacques Tati.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Mine's a Danish word that more or less translates as "Knucklehead". Although I like Google Translate's suggestion, it's not accurate.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
George Bailey

Post by George Bailey »

We need more danes to this forum! They're awesome! Respect, Knaldskalle!
George Bailey

Post by George Bailey »

But, Knaldskalle, your name can also be naughty..Because whenever I hear your name I think of "knalde" or "et knald"...Can't help it :D
Last edited by George Bailey on January 24th, 2012, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Bailey

Post by George Bailey »

I think I have been brainwashed by von Trier :)
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

I just really like the word, and lack the imagination to come up with anything else. :P
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

George Bailey on Jan 23 2012, 05:20:55 PM wrote:But, Knaldskalle, your name can also be naughty..Because whenever I hear your name I think of "knalde" or "et knald"...Can't help it :D
A little language service for the uninitiated: "Knald" translates as "bang" (with the exact same connotations in Danish as in English), which is also the reason behind the "mistranslation" Google commits.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

My extended family made a silent movie in 1951 (16mm, entitled "Birds of a Feather Gather no Moss"). I was one of the pirate captain's 3 lieutenants, the others being One-Eyed Tom and Two-Eyed Dick.
Last edited by 3eyes on January 24th, 2012, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet »

When I was 13, Me and Best Friend got together and made a YouTube account, we had that account for about two years until it got deleted. We tried to figure out a username and my friend suggested Nuclear Planet from that "Movie Poster with the globe on fire". That Movie Poster was the film Zombieland, and Nuclear Planet awesome, so based it on that.
George Bailey

Post by George Bailey »

My favorite character is George Bailey who happens to be in my favorite movie :)
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

Which movie is that?
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

George Bailey on Jan 24 2012, 02:40:50 PM wrote:My favorite character is George Bailey who happens to be in my favorite movie :)
No shit?
SeanMX12

Post by SeanMX12 »

I chose SeanMX around the age of eleven when I was setting up my playstation network. The MX comes from my obsession with motorcross racing when I was a kid. I haven't touched a bike in five years so the name doesn't really fit today. I added 12 when SeanMX was unavailable as a yahoo email i.d. years ago.
jgwr

Post by jgwr »

My initials (all four of them).
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

3eyes on Jan 23 2012, 11:55:51 PM wrote:My extended family made a silent movie in 1951 (16mm, entitled "Birds of a Feather Gather no Moss"). I was one of the pirate captain's 3 lieutenants, the others being One-Eyed Tom and Two-Eyed Dick.
That's cute. I always thought your name was a reference to the mystical third eye or inner eye! :lol:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

I have been Local Hero on imdb for ten years or so, named after my favorite movie (it's a movie site, after all). Then when I started on ListsofBests, "my" nickname was taken, so out of frustration I just capriciously translated Local Hero into Russian (MestnyiGeroi). When I joined this site, I felt I had to drag both names with me, cumbersome or not.
JCS

Post by JCS »

allisoncm on Jan 24 2012, 04:19:30 PM wrote:Which movie is that?
George Bailey is from some random, art-house film called like It's A Wonderful Life or something. ^_^
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I always thought nicknames were annoying, so I always use my real name. My first name is Joachim and my last name starts with T, so therefor joachimt.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
rokp

Post by rokp »

joachimt on Dec 1 2012, 07:48:10 AM wrote:I always thought nicknames were annoying, so I always use my real name. My first name is Joachim and my last name starts with T, so therefor joachimt.
Exactly the same here.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

rokp on Dec 1 2012, 07:55:36 AM wrote:
joachimt on Dec 1 2012, 07:48:10 AM wrote:I always thought nicknames were annoying, so I always use my real name. My first name is Joachim and my last name starts with T, so therefor joachimt.
Exactly the same here.
Your first name is Rok? What country are you from?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
rokp

Post by rokp »

Slovenia ;)
kingink

Post by kingink »

Nick Cave... my favorite obsession, along with David Bowie, Tindersticks and cinema of course
clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey »

Mine is a mix of my first name (Clément), my favorite type of music (metal) and Rey Mysterio. I was about 14 when I created it. I kept it even though I don't watch WWE anymore. So my username is not film-related at all I'm afraid.
themagician

Post by themagician »

I refuse to share any of my personal information (including my picture) online in case something I happen to say in an argument, in a random comment somewhere, or even just having an opinion or position on whatever issue that's different from someone else's, rubs some crazy person the wrong way. They can ruin your life, including costing you your job.

If you want to see these witchhunts happening in real time, I will simply direct you here: http://www.reddit.com/r/shitredditsays

That is a group of nearly 30,000 Reddit users just looking for reasons to get up in arms about and getting ready to make your life hell. If you sort by Top you can find targeted operations to find out who certain users are and subsequently taking on a mission to inform every major news organization, including major online blogs, to write about you, including harassing your family and friends and getting you fired. And they have succeeded. In fact, they just recently succeeded in outing a user who as a result found himself being interviewed on CNN and without a job. If you do a Google search on "violentacrez" you will find that every major news organization has written a story about him. While I don't approve of what he did, I think what SRS did was wrong. And it's frightening to think what they can do. And what's even more so is the fact that many of the comments that get people in trouble are completely harmless or meant as a joke.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Themagician's post is the reason that I set up a second Facebook profile (with no pictures or offline friends) to join the iCM Facebook group. I learned the hard way after LCWymer.