Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Foxtrot, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Have you ever left things on supermarket to wrong places?

?

No
46%
No but used to once twice
8%
No but used to few times
5%
No but used to all the time
No votes
Yes but rarely
26%
Yes sometimes
10%
Yes all the time
5%

Total votes: 39

nimimerkillinen

Have you ever left things on supermarket to wrong places?

Post by nimimerkillinen »

also frozen / cold things too?
i leave maybe once or twice a year something but never frozen or cold stuff
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

Once, I left a picture of my mother-in-law in the vegetable department, with her phone number on it. But nobody called, I'm still stuck with her today... I should have tried the tools & cleaning department !
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Can you, uh, re-word this? Not sure exactly you mean.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

The question isn't easy for me to understand as well.
rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 »

Once, but then our tribe split up and went separate ways through the valley.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

My assumption: did you ever take a product in a supermarket, decided you didn't need it after all and left it in a spot where it didn't belong (rather than track back and put it where you got it in the first place).

Bit of a guess though.
flaiky

Post by flaiky »

Onderhond wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 4:13 pm My assumption: did you ever take a product in a supermarket, decided you didn't need it after all and left it in a spot where it didn't belong (rather than track back and put it where you got it in the first place).

Bit of a guess though.
Lol, I think you cracked it, but this is such a random and specific question. I love it (no disrespect OP :) )
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Hehe. That interpretation seems most likely, Onderhond. Assuming that's what the OP meant, I try to always put things back where they were, but occasionally I've just left an item "wherever", I admit. Very rare though, I'm not that much of a jerk. :D
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Well, I was a manager at a supermarket - a natural foods co-op, but one as large as a small supermarket - for 7 years, so it's a sticking point for me to always put things back. I've not been 100% perfect but certainly when it comes to anything perishable I'm not going to let it sit out on the shelf and have to be thrown away. I'm also quite anal about putting my cart in the cart corral after I'm done. Years of retail really makes me appreciate how hard a job it is, and how much harder it can be when the customers are douchebags without reason so I try never to be one.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

No, but that's partly because I usually buy groceries roadside, so not much chance of that happening (and buying manufactured stuff is not handled by me).
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, mah huge sci-fi list, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Onderhond wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 4:13 pm My assumption: did you ever take a product in a supermarket, decided you didn't need it after all and left it in a spot where it didn't belong (rather than track back and put it where you got it in the first place).

Bit of a guess though.
If this is, in fact, the question, then yes, I probably have done that though my preference is to return it to where I found it (if at all possible) or give it a store clerk so that it can be reshelved. I think this is especially important with perishables (think ice cream).

Just as an aside, I got so annoyed with my local grocery store changing stuff around and not having what I needed to get that I gave the cart to an employee and walked out of the front door. :finger: I really draw the line at the store making my shopping there a misery.

But when it's because I changed my mind, no I don't want to punish the store.

Oh, but there is one other situation, when similar items are on other sides of the store (like for a special promotion). Again, since it seems they aren't being helpful, sure, I might abandon the more expensive item in the special promotion area.

Sidenote: I hate grocery shopping with just about every part of my being. :satstunned:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

OldAle1 wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 5:23 pm Well, I was a manager at a supermarket - a natural foods co-op, but one as large as a small supermarket - for 7 years, so it's a sticking point for me to always put things back. I've not been 100% perfect but certainly when it comes to anything perishable I'm not going to let it sit out on the shelf and have to be thrown away. I'm also quite anal about putting my cart in the cart corral after I'm done. Years of retail really makes me appreciate how hard a job it is, and how much harder it can be when the customers are douchebags without reason so I try never to be one.
One of the reasons I really hate shopping is because so many customers are unabashed douchebags - fucking cellphones, especially or the assholes who have to block the entire aisle while they discuss the difference between catsup and ketchup, blah blah blah.

There is nothing worse than being in a wheelchair and going grocery shopping, let me tell you. Yes, some people are nice, but most, when confronting someone in a wheelchair, are absolutely douchebags. I even went into a store one time and was told I had to go through checkout with the shopping carts since the space for customers was so narrow. Talk about dehumanizing! Didn't shop there again for at least five years and thankfully they remodeled and addressed that 'oversight', but I still don't go to that store very often and that's one reason why.

And did I mention that I think most customers of grocery stores are selfish douchebags? :P Is it really so goddamn hard to smile, say 'excuse me', be polite? Gee, a little kindness could go so far to making the world a nicer place. YOU READ ME DOUCHEBAGS! Be goddamn nice for once!

And don't ever ask me about my city farmer's market (which I refuse to go to) :angry: I do go every week to one held at a local hospital, but alas, it only lasts about seven weeks in the summer. :(
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I try not to since as a stocktaker it’s really annoying when locations are full of different items that means I have to sift through it all. So automatically I just return items where they belong.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I voted "no" too. Just basic decency if you ask me.
nimimerkillinen

Bit of a guess though.
Yup, you cracked it. I've got problems communicating even in my native language :P
nimimerkillinen

Onderhond wrote: August 4th, 2018, 7:14 am I voted "no" too. Just basic decency if you ask me.
maybe if i would respect the shop. supporting by selling factory farmed animals is not basic decency to me
nimimerkillinen

and i always have left it to noticeable spot like the end of row so some employer should notice it at some point
nimimerkillinen

flaiky wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 5:00 pm

Bit of a guess though.
Lol, I think you cracked it, but this is such a random and specific question. I love it (no disrespect OP :) )
lately been doing part-time shelling job and made me thing while caffeine spree to stay alert + energy (don't usually drink coffee :P )
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

nimimerkillinen wrote: August 4th, 2018, 7:40 am
Onderhond wrote: August 4th, 2018, 7:14 am I voted "no" too. Just basic decency if you ask me.
maybe if i would respect the shop. supporting by selling factory farmed animals is not basic decency to me
If you don't respect the shop, don't go to the shop.
But those employees who work there aren't paid to move around stuff people have left in the wrong place. They have actual work to do too. Putting something back isn't tough or complex, it's just a minor gesture and the decent thing to do when you're entering someone else's business.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Amen. Reshuffle products on purpose! Sneak a jar of flies into the meat section! Escape undetected!
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, mah huge sci-fi list, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

I almost always walk back to put it in the right shelf again, because of common decency. But ones in a blue moon I'm in such a hurry, that wins over my human decency.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

I rarely have to put things back in the first place, but when I do, I put them back in the proper place. I'm not sure if that's caused by common decency or OCPD or both. :blush:
Armoreska wrote: August 4th, 2018, 8:23 am
Sneak a jar of flies into the meat section! Escape undetected!
I like this idea. :shifty:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I was just watching Le Couperet and look what happened
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
sebby

Post by sebby »

people that work at grocery stores are paid rather handsomely. more than they should be, really. giving them some real work to do isn't wrong or indecent in my opinion. put a clementine inside an egg carton. put that egg in someone's purse. alert the manager to the whereabouts of the egg. and so on.
Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

sebby wrote: August 5th, 2018, 9:09 am people that work at grocery stores are paid rather handsomely. more than they should be, really. giving them some real work to do isn't wrong or indecent in my opinion. put a clementine inside an egg carton. put that egg in someone's purse. alert the manager to the whereabouts of the egg. and so on.
I don't know about your definition of 'rather handsomely', but here in the Netherlands they get paid quite badly, I guess about minimum wage - which isn't actually enough to pay all life expenses, in my book.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
RBG

Post by RBG »

sebby wrote: August 5th, 2018, 9:09 am people that work at grocery stores are paid rather handsomely. more than they should be, really. giving them some real work to do isn't wrong or indecent in my opinion. put a clementine inside an egg carton. put that egg in someone's purse. alert the manager to the whereabouts of the egg. and so on.
as someone working 10+ years in the grocery business i can tell you there is plenty of 'real work' to do
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
sebby

Post by sebby »

RBG wrote: August 5th, 2018, 9:55 am
as someone working 10+ years in the grocery business i can tell you there is plenty of 'real work' to do
if by real work you mean smoking grass behind the dumpsters and ogling comely customers, then yes, I suppose you are correct.
sebby

Post by sebby »

Gershwin wrote: August 5th, 2018, 9:43 am
I don't know about your definition of 'rather handsomely', but here in the Netherlands they get paid quite badly, I guess about minimum wage - which isn't actually enough to pay all life expenses, in my book.
i don't know what they get paid here in the colonies since i only have a master's and thus don't seem to qualify for a position at the local shop and save. 30 dollars an hour? 40 dollars an hour? something in that vicinity.

certainly enough to support at least one deadbeat child, purchase a lightly used honda fit, and buy a 1200 sq ft ranch house in a harrisburg, pa kind of town.
RBG

Post by RBG »

less than half that and only because we have a union, not that it does a lot of good here in a 'right-to -work' state. right, i didn't go to college. personally i stuck it out for the health care plan which is decent. but only because we have a union and yadda yadda

as for leaving things in the aisles i've done it occasionally myself

hope it's ok to comment here among the highly educated :rolleyes:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
RBG

Post by RBG »

OldAle1 wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 5:23 pm Well, I was a manager at a supermarket - a natural foods co-op, but one as large as a small supermarket - for 7 years, so it's a sticking point for me to always put things back. I've not been 100% perfect but certainly when it comes to anything perishable I'm not going to let it sit out on the shelf and have to be thrown away. I'm also quite anal about putting my cart in the cart corral after I'm done. Years of retail really makes me appreciate how hard a job it is, and how much harder it can be when the customers are douchebags without reason so I try never to be one.
:cheers:

although i steer clear of management, more stress than i need :lol:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
sebby

Post by sebby »

RBG wrote: August 5th, 2018, 10:13 am less than half that and only because we have a union, not that it does a lot of good here in a 'right-to -work' state. right, i didn't go to college. personally i stuck it out for the health care plan which is decent. but only because we have a union and yadda yadda

as for leaving things in the aisles i've done it occasionally myself

hope it's ok to comment here among the highly educated :rolleyes:

i suppose i'll allow it
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

sebby wrote: August 5th, 2018, 10:00 am if by real work you mean smoking grass behind the dumpsters and ogling comely customers, then yes, I suppose you are correct.
This is the only capitalized letter I've seen in the last six posts. :'(
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Lammetje wrote: August 5th, 2018, 11:28 am
sebby wrote: August 5th, 2018, 10:00 am if by real work you mean smoking grass behind the dumpsters and ogling comely customers, then yes, I suppose you are correct.
arent u glad the practice of non-capitalization is alive and prospering :party:
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

Lammetje wrote: August 5th, 2018, 11:28 am
You should've read the quotes as well. They were enlightening! ^_^
RokP 250

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

No, I'm another ex-shop worker who remembers the pain of having to relocate all the items customers leave everywhere (toy store, which is probably the worst of all stores for this, bloody kids :verymad: )
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Lots of past supermarket workers round here?
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
nimimerkillinen

Onderhond wrote: August 4th, 2018, 8:04 am
If you don't respect the shop, don't go to the shop.
But those employees who work there aren't paid to move around stuff people have left in the wrong place. They have actual work to do too. Putting something back isn't tough or complex, it's just a minor gesture and the decent thing to do when you're entering someone else's business.
there aren't other good options to shop so it isn't that simple
not leaving for the fun of it but like said ~0-2 times a year when in a hurry / anxiety attack
i don't fully respect my country fully but i'm not leaving it either
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

My S/O and I always enjoy browsing grocery stores and looking for new or weird items we had never noticed before (like all the varieties of Spam) - it can feel a bit like Super Market Sweep at times. Too often we end up getting everything except the item that brought us to the grocery store in the first place!

The best moments are when you come across really random items in the wrong section - and think to yourself: "for some reason, while considering which pasta sauce they were going to purchase, someone decided they no longer needed to buy several boxes of enemas." This becomes more interesting when a store sells more than just food. Or there's times when you come across an empty candy wrapper, or a box of cookies that have already been opened -and since turned into a make-shift communal sampler.

As to the strangely worded topic question: yes, but only when I'm super frustrated with the store at the moment. There's one particular grocery store near me that, without fail, only ever has one cashier, and always takes a minimum of 20 minutes of waiting in line to buy your stuff. I'm unsure why they never think to have any of the other employees milling around actually open up another line (there's no self-checkout either, which I typically avoid stores that don't have these for this very reason)..... But without fail - there will be 10 people in a line held-up by someone who needs to confirm that everything in their overloaded shopping cart rang-up at the price listed in the newspaper's advert (and then pay by check). Meanwhile everything frozen has melted, your're stuck behind some screaming baby, the person behind you has way too much cologne on, and your arm is numb from carrying stuff in your bag. I know we've bailed plenty of times at this store, and at worst - dumped some of the perishable items inside the fridges selling Pepsi next to the line. We haven't gone back to this store in over a year.

Moral of the story: Have self check-outs.

One other observation: it seems that every grocery store has their particular tastes in music. There's one store near me that always plays 80s tunes (often more obscure stuff) - but you haven't really lived until you've seen the seafood department dancing to Rick Astley.

Here's a side question: Has anyone gone to a grocery store just for free samples (the legit kind the store offers (usually coffee / fruit / etc), not those above-mentioned "samples") and not purchased anything?
Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

It's funny to notice how huge the differences between supermarkets in various countries seem.

For instance waiting lines of twenty minutes are completely, utterly unthinkable in the Netherlands. A shop would be out of customers and hence go bankrupt in no time.

And Armo, I was also wondering what you mean with 'buying roadside'. There's almost no opportunity to do so here.
RokP 250

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I've had to wait 45 minutes to buy groceries.

I also constantly have to deal with items being out of stock - but this, I believe, is just a clever way to get people back in the store another time or get them to buy a product with better margins since who really wants to go to every competitor just to get a bag of cookies.