Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Foxtrot, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Have you ever left things on supermarket to wrong places?

?

No
46%
No but used to once twice
8%
No but used to few times
5%
No but used to all the time
No votes
Yes but rarely
26%
Yes sometimes
10%
Yes all the time
5%

Total votes: 39

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Minkin wrote: August 5th, 2018, 3:07 pm One other observation: it seems that every grocery store has their particular tastes in music. There's one store near me that always plays 80s tunes (often more obscure stuff) - but you haven't really lived until you've seen the seafood department dancing to Rick Astley.
I usually dislike music in stores, especially supermarkets. I suffer under the shitty easy listening/jazz pop that's played in one of the supermarkets I sometimes go to. Just fuck off with that crap - I'm here to buy groceries, not to get raped in both ears! :finger:
Gershwin wrote: August 5th, 2018, 6:26 pm And Armo, I was also wondering what you mean with 'buying roadside'. There's almost no opportunity to do so here.
Something like this, I presume? We have plenty of those in Poland too.

iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

xianjiro wrote: August 5th, 2018, 8:00 pm I also constantly have to deal with items being out of stock - but this, I believe, is just a clever way to get people back in the store another time or get them to buy a product with better margins since who really wants to go to every competitor just to get a bag of cookies.
Have you ever tried Clicklist? Wife uses it occasionally, and they shop for you. You just go pick it up - and if it's out of stock, they'll sub in a different item that's as good or better (e.g., you might get organic free range eggs instead of just free range eggs).
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Lammetje wrote: August 5th, 2018, 9:54 pm
Minkin wrote: August 5th, 2018, 3:07 pm One other observation: it seems that every grocery store has their particular tastes in music. There's one store near me that always plays 80s tunes (often more obscure stuff) - but you haven't really lived until you've seen the seafood department dancing to Rick Astley.
I usually dislike music in stores, especially supermarkets. I suffer under the shitty easy listening/jazz pop that's played in one of the supermarkets I sometimes go to. Just fuck off with that crap - I'm here to buy groceries, not to get raped in both ears! :finger:
here the music is mostly 80s - 90s pop shit. It's not that I dislike most of it, it's just that I don't want to be barraged by Hall and Oates while I'm trying to read tiny print and do the math to figure out how $0.87/ounce compares to $14.40/pound. I've never been too great at math in my head.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

maxwelldeux wrote: August 6th, 2018, 4:31 am
xianjiro wrote: August 5th, 2018, 8:00 pm I also constantly have to deal with items being out of stock - but this, I believe, is just a clever way to get people back in the store another time or get them to buy a product with better margins since who really wants to go to every competitor just to get a bag of cookies.
Have you ever tried Clicklist? Wife uses it occasionally, and they shop for you. You just go pick it up - and if it's out of stock, they'll sub in a different item that's as good or better (e.g., you might get organic free range eggs instead of just free range eggs).
nope - and most of those high tech options don't work with my low tech payment arrangements, but maybe some day B)
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Gershwin wrote: August 5th, 2018, 6:26 pm It's funny to notice how huge the differences between supermarkets in various countries seem.

For instance waiting lines of twenty minutes are completely, utterly unthinkable in the Netherlands. A shop would be out of customers and hence go bankrupt in no time.
Just got back from Germany and was astounded by the differences between that and our own country (Netherlands, in case people still don't know where I'm from). And we're talking about Germany here, our neighbour! I wasn't in Kazakhstan!
1. I was in a waiting line of at least 7 people multiple times. Here, most supermarkets have a rule that says "3 in de rij, kassa erbij" (once a row has 3 or more people, another one should open).
2. Most big supermarket in the Netherlands use self scanning systems nowadays. You take a scanner, scan the products yourself and pay at a terminal with a debit card. No standing in line at all. This results in even shorter rows at the normal cash desks. I often see employees waiting for a customer, because the line is gone. Are there any other countries with self scanning systems?
3. Almost everybody paid with cash!! Seriously? What century is this? Paying with cash takes time, so the rows get longer. A few days ago the person in front of me had to pay around 70 euros, so he paid with a bill of 100. I looked at the bill and couldn't remember ever seeing such a bill. I just didn't recognize it. I never take money to the supermarket.

As a response to the original question: I always put things back where they belong. If I can't find it anymore, I give it to an employee and apologies for it. I'm too decent to do otherwise. :rolleyes:

Other question: If you see anything lying at the wrong spot (someone else left it there) and you know where it should be, do you put it at the right spot?
I do that in CD-shops.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
RBG

Post by RBG »

we have self scanning systems in most stores now. slowly they're doing away with cashiers. the 'click-list' is also getting big. this is where you order your groceries and they are bagged and ready to be picked up, some places even have delivery. retail is changing rapidly
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

xianjiro wrote: August 6th, 2018, 7:25 am
Lammetje wrote: August 5th, 2018, 9:54 pm
here the music is mostly 80s - 90s pop shit. It's not that I dislike most of it, it's just that I don't want to be barraged by Hall and Oates while I'm trying to read tiny print and do the math to figure out how $0.87/ounce compares to $14.40/pound. I've never been too great at math in my head.
I've heard Roxette so many times in the supermarket here. :yucky:

Btw, I don't go to the supermarket very often. I do most of my groceries with a delivery service. Easy to use, saves time and energy.

ICM-profile
RBG

Post by RBG »

yeah like that ^ however i live in a rural area so most people still have to shop weekly
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

joachimt wrote: August 14th, 2018, 5:59 pm Other question: If you see anything lying at the wrong spot (someone else left it there) and you know where it should be, do you put it at the right spot?
I do that in CD-shops.
I sometimes do this in supermarkets, but only if the right spot is within reach. Also, it might be a good idea to always bring cash to the supermarket as a back-up. The machines forsake us sometimes.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Lammetje wrote: August 14th, 2018, 8:33 pmAlso, it might be a good idea to always bring cash to the supermarket as a back-up. The machines forsake us sometimes.
Hardly ever. Normally I never carry cash at all. I can go weeks without having to use cash. The problem of a broken machine happened to me maybe once in the past four years. Places without a machine hardly exist anymore. Completely different during my vacation though. I've encountered restaurants, museums and other touristic places in Germany where you could only pay with cash. I even had to pay for the campsite in cash (over 600 euros!). In the Netherlands, when you're paying that kind of money in cash, it's probably to avoid the books (meaning avoiding taxes). Otherwise it's really unheard of.

Sorry to go off-topic, btw.
ICM-profile
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

joachimt wrote:2. Most big supermarket in the Netherlands use self scanning systems nowadays. You take a scanner, scan the products yourself and pay at a terminal with a debit card. No standing in line at all. This results in even shorter rows at the normal cash desks. I often see employees waiting for a customer, because the line is gone. Are there any other countries with self scanning systems?
Yes (Norway). But that’s hardly a good thing though. Why should I as a costumer do the job myself? Do I get a discount from it? Or perhaps a paycheck? Nope.

Just more work for me (and it takes more time btw. I can manage the self-scanning just fine, but not as fast as an employee at a normal registrer). Not to mention the fact that people are loosing their job because of it.

So to get back to topic; yes I do that all the time. Afaik no machine can do that job (yet) so I’m the good guy for keeping workers needed. :P

And I haven’t used cash for several years now (only on holidays).
Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

I almost always pay with my card, but I'm simply too lazy for self-scanning. It takes too much time, especially when I'm buying groceries with my kids, so I leave scanning the products to the people who specialize in it. That's basically my attitude everywhere: don't do things other people could easily and quite cheaply do much better and quicker.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
serri

Post by serri »

self-scanners mainly seem to be designed to facilitate shoplifting by letting you ring up the most expensive apples as the least expensive apples. the times ive used them i found myself pressing buttons that look like they might mute audio instructions to no avail.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

watched tweakers self-scanning last night: best I could tell, one item was scanned and they left with at least three. Side note, no aisles with cashiers were open/staffed, so self-scanning was the only option

and the music drove me nuts
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

We have self-scanners in the biggest supermarkets here, and there's one I go to regularly, but it's only for 20 items or less I think, and I usually have more than 20. And there are always people who don't know WTF they're doing, so I'm not sure it's any faster actually. I've never used it, in part also because having worked retail so long myself I value those jobs - customer service is a dying thing everywhere, not just in grocery stores, and I guess I'm an old fogie but I don't see it as a better world when we no longer have to ever interact with another human being when buying anything less expensive than property.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Always put stuff back on the shelf in the right place if I'm walking around the shop. Only exception is if I'm already at the self-service checkout and putting it back would cause other people to have to wait longer to use the checkout/someone might take my place.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Onderhond wrote: August 4th, 2018, 7:14 am I voted "no" too. Just basic decency if you ask me.
:ICM:
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I probably wouldn't put stuff in the wrong place anyway, but it's been a long fucking time since I was at the store.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.