Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th), 1933 (May 12th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Forum Transition FAQ

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

xianjiro wrote: November 26th, 2018, 10:32 am Am almost certain I've been able to delete posts in the forum up until tonight.

Somehow managed to dupe-post. Clicked on the X button in the upper right of the post window, left reason, and when I executed the delete, got the message, "You cannot delete posts in this forum."

Huh?
I'll look into this too, it might be that delete settings are a per forum setting. I also think there's also a restriction (timewise) on when you can delete posts, since the point is to allow people to catch mistakes not delete a bunch of posts.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

FYI, I tried to delete the duplicate post shortly after making it - probably within 10 minutes, maybe 5. Don't remember exactly how long things took. :(
Last edited by xianjiro on November 26th, 2018, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeacefulAnarchy

xianjiro wrote: November 26th, 2018, 5:43 pm FYI, I tried to delete the duplicate post shortly after making it - probably within 10 minutes, maybe 5. Don't remember exactly[.b] how long things took. :(

The time limit is 2 minutes.
PeacefulAnarchy

xianjiro wrote: December 6th, 2018, 12:31 am Had a good post get lost in the extra step related to posts have been made in the meantime thing - not really sure how or why it got lost, but it did and that was some time ago. I'm NOT a fan of that in this software. When I hit submit, I don't want an occasional "are you sure" step. GRRRRRR.
How do people feel about this? I generally like it since it can help me avoid repeating someone else or address something else in the replies, but there are times when it's annoying.
I've never lost a reply because of it, though.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

This isn't the first time either. For me, it's that it is intermittent that causes the problem. Two situations where it's problematic - when it's a hot topic and we are more focused on the issue than the process AND when I stop by quickly to post something or reply but need to scoot. So it's more problematic when our thoughts are elsewhere, not on the process of posting.

And btw, I think the two minute time frame for being able to delete a post is too short. I've no idea why it took me as long as it did to figure out I had posted twice, but easily something like a phone call can distract one's attention. And since we can edit away a post, what's to be gained by not allowing a poster to delete a post?

I'd prefer a system that said, "duplicate post, are you sure?" to "others have posted in this hot topic while you've spent time thinking through a well-reasoned response, are you sure?"
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 6th, 2018, 12:59 am
xianjiro wrote: December 6th, 2018, 12:31 am Had a good post get lost in the extra step related to posts have been made in the meantime thing - not really sure how or why it got lost, but it did and that was some time ago. I'm NOT a fan of that in this software. When I hit submit, I don't want an occasional "are you sure" step. GRRRRRR.
How do people feel about this? I generally like it since it can help me avoid repeating someone else or address something else in the replies, but there are times when it's annoying.
I've never lost a reply because of it, though.
I like it - my biggest issue in challenge hosting is when people post while I'm editing or posting myself, and this lets me see those posts I'd otherwise miss.

But can we talk about the significantly more important and extremely dire issue that we've all been clamoring about - the "strikethrough" button (the "s" on the post a reply screen between the "hr" and the spoiler tag buttons) is the only one that doesn't have hover text. Is that fixable? :circle:
PeacefulAnarchy

strike through text is there now
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I like it as well. It took me a few times to understand what was happening, but now it's clear to me I am glad it's there.

And thanks for fixing the strikethrough thing.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

This is what I see when I need to "post review". Please note, this is AFTER the headers have been shrunk. I'll try to watch out for it more and not be so annoyed when my posts vanish, but I'd also argue that an awful lot of real estate is used in a repetitive manner - thus it gets ignore until it's needed.

I'm pretty confident that during November, I would not have seen the "post review" text. It would have been below the fold so to speak.

EDIT: Okay, I'm so fucking annoyed at this point that I give up. I assume it's not accepting the attachment because of the size but I DON'T SEE WHERE IT TELLS ME THE SIZE.

Later
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

xianjiro wrote: December 6th, 2018, 3:54 am This is what I see when I need to "post review". Please note, this is AFTER the headers have been shrunk. I'll try to watch out for it more and not be so annoyed when my posts vanish, but I'd also argue that an awful lot of real estate is used in a repetitive manner - thus it gets ignore until it's needed.

I'm pretty confident that during November, I would not have seen the "post review" text. It would have been below the fold so to speak.

EDIT: Okay, I'm so fucking annoyed at this point that I give up. I assume it's not accepting the attachment because of the size but I DON'T SEE WHERE IT TELLS ME THE SIZE.

Later
Is your attachment the screenshot of the problem? Maybe add it to imgur or something? I've just tried to add an attachment and here's what I see (not sure if this is the problem you're describing or not):

I uploaded a random attachment as a test, and it shows me how big it is and the green check that all is good.

Thinking it worked, I then tried to upload the screenshot, but discovered there was an error.

Clicking on the error resulted in this popup, letting me know the file size limit was only 15 kb (which seems small).
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Does anyone ever find a thread using the search-function on this site? I never did. It really sucks.

I was just trying to find the thread called "strange ways to use icm" and I'm very certain that's the title, but I can't find it. Because the search doesn't work, I even used crtl-F on general film, list discussion, off-topic and games, for the first 6 pages. Still haven't found it.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

joachimt wrote: December 15th, 2018, 8:35 pm Does anyone ever find a thread using the search-function on this site? I never did. It really sucks.

I was just trying to find the thread called "strange ways to use icm" and I'm very certain that's the title, but I can't find it. Because the search doesn't work, I even used crtl-F on general film, list discussion, off-topic and games, for the first 6 pages. Still haven't found it.
Try again without the word 'strange'. :geek:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

joachimt wrote: December 15th, 2018, 8:35 pm Does anyone ever find a thread using the search-function on this site? I never did. It really sucks.

If I know a less common word in the title, yes - many time. Advanced search is helpful.

Of course, I assume you mean this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1781&hilit=ways
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

seems like this thread is the only place to post site problems/questions in general? I just don't see another thread appropriate for technical issues.

Anyway, I received a PM a couple of days ago and have tried to reply without success - I've sent two messages and they both are just staying in my outbox and not showing up in my sent box.
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

OldAle1 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 1:16 pm seems like this thread is the only place to post site problems/questions in general? I just don't see another thread appropriate for technical issues.

Anyway, I received a PM a couple of days ago and have tried to reply without success - I've sent two messages and they both are just staying in my outbox and not showing up in my sent box.
PMs stay in the outbox until they have been opened by the recipient.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

insomnius wrote: January 19th, 2019, 1:22 pm
OldAle1 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 1:16 pm seems like this thread is the only place to post site problems/questions in general? I just don't see another thread appropriate for technical issues.

PMs stay in the outbox until they have been opened by the recipient.
Ah, OK, that explains it, thanks. I guess I've sent & received very few PMs so this never occurred to me.
RBG

Post by RBG »

i have a question since we've started a phpBB for scfz: how do you prevent bots/spammers from joining. we've had 3 in the past week :unsure:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
PeacefulAnarchy

You can stop bots with a decent captcha and email verification (which I assume you guys have), but you can't really stop spammers without doing cumbersome things like putting new users on mod approval which we've decided not to do. If all your spammers are coming from similar IPs you can IP ban, I've only done that for one particular IP range it's risky as you may unwittingly ban legitimate users. Otherwise it's just active moderation, we still get a few every month. I also find that they come in waves. 3 every week is too much, but 3 in one week isn't unusual. I don't know why, but I assume it's due to some search spider making the site pop up in some particular place.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

weird date thing in this screencap
Clipboard01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeacefulAnarchy

huh? The contextual dating works in other contexts. I'll try to find some time to look into that
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: March 5th, 2020, 3:42 pm huh? The contextual dating works in other contexts. I'll try to find some time to look into that
well, it's certainly no biggie, but I did get a :lol: out of it and have never noticed that pop up before
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

can anyone figure out how to search for a phrase and not just a combination of words? I'm trying to find posts that use the phrase "color blind". No matter what I do, I end up with 680 results, but I'm not seeing a lot that use the words together and I really don't want to sift through 680 posts
PeacefulAnarchy

I never figured it out and I'm pretty convinced it's not possible.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

xianjiro wrote: October 4th, 2020, 3:18 am can anyone figure out how to search for a phrase and not just a combination of words? I'm trying to find posts that use the phrase "color blind". No matter what I do, I end up with 680 results, but I'm not seeing a lot that use the words together and I really don't want to sift through 680 posts
No, and this has been an occasional source of frustration for me as well. Best I've been able to figure is search for those words, then use your browser's search function to quickly go through each page. :shrug:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Thanks guys - just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing thing. Gave up trying and just created a new thread even if it won't have many comments: maybe it will make it easier to find given the title?
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

Why can I not post images using bbcode?
PeacefulAnarchy

I dunno, why can't you?
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

This turned out to be the image host changing their backend, I guess. I guess I won't use them anymore.
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

xianjiro wrote: October 4th, 2020, 3:06 pm Thanks guys - just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing thing. Gave up trying and just created a new thread even if it won't have many comments: maybe it will make it easier to find given the title?
You could use Google site limited but i don't think that it'd give complete results:

site:forum.icmforum.com "color blind"
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

brokenface wrote: November 20th, 2020, 7:56 am
xianjiro wrote: October 4th, 2020, 3:06 pm Thanks guys - just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing thing. Gave up trying and just created a new thread even if it won't have many comments: maybe it will make it easier to find given the title?
You could use Google site limited but i don't think that it'd give complete results:

site:forum.icmforum.com "color blind"
thanks for the reminder: I tend to forget about those kinds of Google searches now that it's no longer as obvious how to format the query
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Does anyone know what it means when a user profile no longer shows a "last active" date?
PeacefulAnarchy

What do you mean "no longer." Empty last activity means they haven't logged onto this forum.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

to continue, I'll reply in private, but I'm not seeing a last activity date for a member I'm concerned about
PeacefulAnarchy

I see it fine. Maybe it's a setting? I know some people choose to browse privately, I've never considered it but it makes sense that doing so would also make the last activity date not show.
shugs
Donator

Post by shugs »

Can the character limit per post be increased?
PeacefulAnarchy

Maybe, why do you need it bigger that instead of making a second post? I only run into it when testing posting a humongous number of links in poll results. I'm wary of anything like that which might have db performance impact, especially for very minimal benefit.
shugs
Donator

Post by shugs »

Sometimes challenge stats don't fit in a single post viewtopic.php?p=676463#p676463

If it's a change that can impact forum performance, don't worry about it, though.
PeacefulAnarchy

Yeah that kind of post would do it. I'm going to be working on the backend of the forum this week. I'll look and see if it makes sense. Increasing it a little bit more is fine, but the problem is that once you run into the limit a little more is never enough and bigger changes make me wary. But my concerns may not be warranted, so we'll see.
PeacefulAnarchy

Want to stop derailing the RIP thread, so
kongs_speech wrote: January 5th, 2021, 3:49 am (Side note: why do we even have that emoji? It seems like it's begging for trouble.)
It's not meant to be directed at others in a serious way, more of an "oh, fuck off" than "FUUUCKK YOUUUUUUUUUUU," but a number of emojis have a wide range of contextual tone.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

I'm trying to upload a new avatar, but the file is too large (110 kB). Although I'm getting a message telling me 31 kB is the max, I've seen several avatars on here exceeding that limit. So what is the actual maximum?
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*