Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Drugs - good times?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

xianjiro on Oct 29 2016, 02:50:06 AM wrote:
Ettinauer226XL on Oct 28 2016, 07:36:04 PM wrote:
Spoiler: click to toggle
Nopros on Oct 28 2016, 07:23:49 PM wrote:Oh, my bad. I do remember you're from Canada now that you tell me. :D I don't know about the laws in Canada but seems weird a test kit is illegal? It's legal in Norway. If you have some friends that don't live at home you could always get it sent to them, if they're ok about it. I highly reccomend using a test kit.
It is legal here. I guess I'll just wait till I move out. It will be soon if I get this other job.
monty on Oct 28 2016, 07:23:40 PM wrote:Well, that's interesting to hear. I'm glad for you having such a positive experience but how can you be sure that the same effect could not have been achieved through therapy? Also, how lasting is the effect of a single drug induced experience? Will you have to keep doing it to get that effect? Will you eventually have to up the dosage to get the same effect? How safe is such messing with your brain chemistry?

Also, as for sperm count, I would imagine it to be important also to gays as you someday might want to have kids ( womb-for-hire).
And listen to what this former user has to say about the effects on the penis in general, starting @ 3:23
It can be achieved through therapy. But I've spent a fraction of the amount and it was from a trip that only lasted a few hours (felt a hell of a lot longer than that though). I don't think there's a lasting effect from it, because this was after having a lot of introspection because of the trip, not from the trip itself. However I've done research on it and shrooms do decrease anxiety and even cures OCD, and it usually lasts for around 6 months. It amplified my state of mind and pounded me to death with it. There's no way to get addicted to it as well, and it stays in your body for 2 weeks, and if you wanna trip again during then the dose has to be double the amount (ie 4 grams for a 2 gram trip).

I've looked it up and it looks like there's not really any changes in tolerance levels, probably because it's only something people once every few weeks/months. I'm assuming it's safe for my brain chemistry. I was worried because I do have a family history of mental illness, but it looks like I'm a-ok right now. The only risk I can think of over than the one I just mentioned is that there are very rare cases of suicide during the trip.

As for kids, can you REALLY see me having kids?
Sure, the penis thing could be fucked up, but like from the videos before, that's probably the result of doing it every day. I just do weed once a week or so. Plus so far in my life it's kind of useless for me tbh :P

EDIT: Only negative thing about that trip was that I was extremely tired afterwards and for the next 2 days. It just drained me.
there's this new thing called masturbation

I hear all the cool kids are doing it

you might wanna give it a go

:thumbsup:
I think I heard of but I had to look it up. People actually do that to themselves?! It looks so icky.

It looks like people would even touch each other in that area and use that thing on another person. :yucky: what kind of sick world did you try to show me
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge »

Psychedelics can have powerful positive effects on people, but you have to be very careful.

It's been years since I've done anything like that, though I'm thinking about doing ayahuasca at some point, not sure yet, haven't decided.

Weed is very much a mixed bag though. Way less potential for harm than alcohol, so the laws don't make much sense, but I'm not a big fan of it personally. It's easy to smoke too much, too regularly and then you get nothing done, I went through a period like this. Chronic weed use isn't great for your life, very glad I stopped using it. Also if you have mental health issues weed is generally a bad idea.

Still if you just have a joint on the weekend or something, I don't see a big problem. Unless you smoke it with tobacco, that shit'll kill yer, so nasty tobacco.. and that synthetic stuff, not really weed, nasty stuff, way too strong from what I've seen, can definitely ruin lives.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

pjim on Oct 29 2016, 04:07:57 AM wrote:Psychedelics can have powerful positive effects on people, but you have to be very careful.

It's been years since I've done anything like that, though I'm thinking about doing ayahuasca at some point, not sure yet, haven't decided.
I was thinking of listening to Icaros on my next trip since that is music made specifically for psychedelic trips, but it is used for spiritual purposes by indigenous South Americans. I'm not religious, but it does feel a little disrespectful to use something like that just to enhance my trip.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on October 29th, 2016, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
Nopros
Donator

Post by Nopros »

It's music man, no need to feel disrespectful.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

yeah, is it disrespectful to listen to Beethoven on an iPod?
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

xianjiro on Oct 29 2016, 03:53:47 PM wrote:yeah, is it disrespectful to listen to Beethoven on an iPod?
Well it's just that they are more like religious passages that a shaman would perform while someone is tripping during a ritual. It'll feel weird cause I'm basically just doing that ritual with an mp3 of a shaman performing it, as opposed to a shaman actually being there.
Nopros
Donator

Post by Nopros »

Then play some psytrance instead if you feel sorry for the shamans, lol. They won't know.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Nopros on Oct 29 2016, 05:17:29 PM wrote:Then play some psytrance instead if you feel sorry for the shamans, lol. They won't know.
I actually did Shpongle last time :P I did my favourite album first, Ape of Naples by Coil, because they talk about taking drugs with their music quite often (and they trip balls during a good batch of their concerts). It turns out that listening to depressing music about death is a TERRIBLE idea when tripping on shrooms.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Ettinauer226XL on Oct 29 2016, 04:01:32 PM wrote:
xianjiro on Oct 29 2016, 03:53:47 PM wrote:yeah, is it disrespectful to listen to Beethoven on an iPod?
Well it's just that they are more like religious passages that a shaman would perform while someone is tripping during a ritual. It'll feel weird cause I'm basically just doing that ritual with an mp3 of a shaman performing it, as opposed to a shaman actually being there.
have you searched the web - gotta be a 'sexy shaman' site somewhere
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Ettinauer226XL on Oct 29 2016, 06:34:13 PM wrote:
Nopros on Oct 29 2016, 05:17:29 PM wrote:Then play some psytrance instead if you feel sorry for the shamans, lol. They won't know.
I actually did Shpongle last time :P I did my favourite album first, Ape of Naples by Coil, because they talk about taking drugs with their music quite often (and they trip balls during a good batch of their concerts). It turns out that listening to depressing music about death is a TERRIBLE idea when tripping on shrooms.
no shit?

whodathunkit!

:pinch:
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

xianjiro on Oct 29 2016, 09:03:26 PM wrote:
no shit?

whodathunkit!

:pinch:
But because of that I saw first hand how toxic it is to have such a negative attitude. So I guess in the end it was a good thing.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I've just realized that people would classify music or a film that has strange yet (usually) more intelligent ideas as "stuff you need to get high for". Could it be that the people with a more avant-garde taste are naturally more high? That may explain why drugs are even more commonplace amongst the arthouse circles. Because of their natural high, they know that getting high would help them reach their potential.

There's a reason why the right is against drugs.
Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge »

Yeah generally a good idea to keep it lighthearted.

I had one on shrooms where I was watching some cool visuals on a video, I didn't realise I'd recorded Necronomicon on the video before. It went straight to a crazy story about a woman with a demon baby or something, wasn't cool at all, proper horror!
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Did it a while back and listened to the shaman music. Get on it if you ever do it again Nopros. I don't believe in the spiritual/religious aspect which is why I didn't wanna do it, but I felt so cleansed afterwards.

I found out what to do to be content with life. I'm not happy yet, but I'm getting there :)

EDIT: This is what I listened to
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on November 20th, 2016, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Ettinauer226XL on Dec 15 2016, 05:34:14 PM wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/marijua ... -1.3893876

Seems fair for the most part.
Thank the Queen you'll never see this come to pass. She simply won't stand for it!
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Nopros on Oct 28 2016, 07:02:00 PM wrote:
Ettinauer226XL on Oct 28 2016, 06:40:43 PM wrote:It literally uses up all your happiness and you feel like absolute shit for a few days.
Not necessarily, take safe amounts and you'll be good. Some supplements can really helpe as well. Have fun, Art. ;)

http://www.rollsafe.org/
Tried it last night nopros and it was fantastic :)
monty

Post by monty »

XxXApathy420XxX on Feb 18 2017, 09:55:38 AM wrote:
Nopros on Oct 28 2016, 07:02:00 PM wrote:
Ettinauer226XL on Oct 28 2016, 06:40:43 PM wrote:It literally uses up all your happiness and you feel like absolute shit for a few days.
Not necessarily, take safe amounts and you'll be good. Some supplements can really helpe as well. Have fun, Art. ;)

http://www.rollsafe.org/
Tried it last night nopros and it was fantastic :)
I'm getting worried about your escalating drug habits, art. You should take a leaf out of this kid's book instead:

Last edited by monty on February 18th, 2017, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

People that say shit like that haven't tried molly.
monty

Post by monty »

Any Elevationists here? Art? :P
Last edited by monty on April 20th, 2017, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

The Toxicity of Recreational Drugs
Alcohol is more lethal than many other commonly abused substances - from American Scientist
jvv
Donator

Post by jvv »

xianjiro on Apr 21 2017, 11:31:09 PM wrote:The Toxicity of Recreational Drugs
Alcohol is more lethal than many other commonly abused substances - from American Scientist
Ban nutmeg!

Oh wait, that would mean I wouldn't get to eat speculaas anymore. :(
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

not to mention the evil weed
big reveal
Humulus lupulus
aka
hops
nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen »

yay Hamilton Morris got a bigger tv show now
https://www.viceland.com/en_us/show/ham ... armacopeia
Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge »

Yeah this has been known about booze, for years. It causes way more health problems than most recreational drugs. There's social impact too, the damage that alcohol does and the violence that it causes.

Though scientists have to be careful, if they tell the truth about this subject. Prof David Nutt, got slaughtered in the UK press for talking openly about his findings, and was sacked from his govt advisory job.

Trying to get a realistic answers to these questions is pretty difficult though, because of all the "winners don't use drugs", "just say no" Nancy Regan bullshit, that's just dominated this area, for decades. Good luck trying to get a nuanced discussion of any of this in the UK anyway.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I'll even be ok if that goal is never achieved. Just fucking admit that alcohol is a drug... Hell not only that but one of the stronger ones.

I seriously hate people who say that all drugs are terrible but then talk about how they did 6 shots of vodka on tje last weekend. It's the same shit, legal or not.
Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge »

Yeah the rank hypocrisy of it all just stinks. Can't abide the alcohol drugs double standard, not gonna change for a certain portion of the population.
RBG

Post by RBG »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mar ... e9848d6297

drive through marijuana dispensary opened in colorado this week
Fatally overdosing on marijuana in its most commonly ingested forms is seemingly impossible. In 1988, a DEA judge argued in favor of rescheduling marijuana in part because of its low harm profile. In his ruling, he wrote that a user would have to ingest somewhere between 20,000 to 40,000 times the amount of THC contained in a single joint to approach lethal toxicity.

“A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response,” wrote Judge Francis Young.

In 2006, a study in American Scientist compared the relative toxicity of marijuana to other commonly used substances, including some legal ones. It found that just 10 times the effective dose of alcohol and five times the effective dose of heroin could be enough to cause death in humans. Marijuana ranked among the least toxic drugs.
Last edited by RBG on April 22nd, 2017, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
monty

Post by monty »

Come on, guys, stop this marijuana propagandizing, please. You make it sound like it's totally risk-free, which is far from the truth.
Multiple studies have linked marijuana use with a higher risk of psychosis, which is a medical term that applies to symptoms that involve losing touch with the real world, such as hallucinations or paranoia.

For example, in an analysis published in 2016 in the journal Schizophrenia Bulletin, researchers looked at previous studies of about 67,000 people. They found that people in the study who used the most marijuana were more likely to be diagnosed with a psychotic mental-health condition, such as schizophrenia, than people who had never used marijuana.
Teens who smoke pot may be more likely to experience an IQ drop when they are older, research has suggested. In a study of more than 1,000 people in New Zealand, researchers administered IQ tests to the participants twice: when they were 13, and then again when they were 38. The researchers also asked the participants about their drug use throughout the study period.

About 5 percent of the teens in the study had started using pot when they were teens. And it turned out that those who smoked pot at least four times a week and continued to use pot throughout their lives experienced an IQ drop of 8 points by the end of the study, on average.
Using marijuana for many years may be linked to changes in brain size, research has suggested. In a study published in November 2014 in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers looked at 48 adults who used the drug at least three times a day, for an average of eight or nine years, and 62 people who didn't use marijuana. It turned out that the people who had been smoking pot daily for at least four years had a smaller volume of gray matter in a brain region called the orbitofrontal cortex, which previous research had linked to addiction
In teenage boys who are genetically susceptible to schizophrenia, pot might alter their brain development in potentially negative ways over time. In that study, the researchers looked at the brains of teenage boys when they were 15, and again when they were almost 19. They found that the boys who smoked pot and carried genes linked to an increased risk of schizophrenia experienced thinning in their brain's cortex —the outer part of the brain —over the four-year study.
s
Last edited by monty on April 23rd, 2017, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RBG

Post by RBG »

7 Ways Marijuana May Affect the Brain
Multiple studies have linked marijuana use with a higher risk of psychosis, which is a medical term that applies to symptoms that involve losing touch with the real world, such as hallucinations or paranoia.
i don't suppose this could be down to, i dunno, SELF-MEDICATING. every single one of the studies includes the word MAY or MIGHT. furthermore, that science 'journal' is a major source for yahoo!, AOL and fox news among others
Last edited by RBG on April 23rd, 2017, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
monty

Post by monty »

You want to take the risk? Sure thing, go ahead and fuck up your brain. You know the best.
RBG

Post by RBG »

i smoked daily for over ten years and seem to be functioning ok. not saying it causes no problems ever but the world is full of things that make people sick that are perfectly legal (even more so when trump is finished since he sees no problem with pesticides and mining waste polluting our water sources). i've seen the effects of alcohol on generations of my family and others and i assure you it is much more serious. life is tough, give us a break

i'll tell you a story -- i knew a kid who died from oxycodone couple of years ago. his friends said that IF he had been able to smoke pot and keep his job (random drug testing) this wouldn't have happened. and i believe it. i'm sure he's not the only one
Last edited by RBG on April 23rd, 2017, 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge »

monty on Apr 22 2017, 06:40:37 PM wrote:Come on, guys, stop this marijuana propagandizing, please. You make it sound like it's totally risk-free, which is far from the truth.
Way to straw-man our opinion. Has anyone said that pot is risk free?

I'm more critical of weed use than a hell of lot of people, especially heavy use, of course it's not risk free. But compared to alcohol, you've got to be kidding me?

If someone comes to me with a straight face and says that pot is as damaging personally or socially as alcohol, I just wouldn't take them seriously on the subject again. They'd have so little credibility to me I find their opinions on it worthless.

All drugs have their relative risks. I've seen this from a lot of years of experience working in social services, and through my education, in this area.

I know well about the relative risks of cannabis, from education and experience, not from 5 minutes searching out segments of random abstracts on the net. Weed induced psychosis is a real thing, for some people. I'm met patients with this exact problem. Weed smoking in general isn't a healthy behaviour that's going to optimise your mind and body, that's pretty obvious.

But that's no reason to support, counterproductive, hypocritical, wasteful and illogical cannabis prohibition.
monty

Post by monty »

What I'm getting at is that marijuana use may not be all that harmless as many apologists (here and elsewhere) like to portray it as being. Stay informed of the potential risks, make your choice and live with the consequences, I say.
Out of curiosity, when did you start toking up and were you at all aware of possible long-term health hazards of using?
RBG

Post by RBG »

Out of curiosity, when did you start toking up and were you at all aware of possible long-term health hazards of using?
in high school like everyone else and no i really didn't care. i don't smoke anymore btw. it would probably make me sleep
no i really didn't care
i should add that i smoked cigarettes for many years too :innocent: and that was MUCH harder to quit. speaking of things that should be illegal :ermm:
Last edited by RBG on April 23rd, 2017, 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
monty

Post by monty »

For those here who have or are planning to have kids - would you at all warn your offspring about possible health hazards following marijuana use?
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Nice troll monty.

Drugs aren't good for you, but many are less bad for you than alcohol is. I think the main problem with illicut drugs is that the people that turn to it have underlying psychological problems, which only makes this worse. Some people do that with alcohol, and that's where alcoholism comes in. The people just do it once in a while for fun, usually end up being ok.

This reminds me of Brass Eye

Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge »

monty on Apr 22 2017, 07:11:53 PM wrote:What I'm getting at is that marijuana use may not be all that harmless as many apologists (here and elsewhere) like to portray it as being. Stay informed of the potential risks, make your choice and live with the consequences, I say.
Yeah that's fair enough.

I don't think it's as benign as some people make out. It had a negative effect on my life, especially my motivation. If I lived again I wouldn't have started smoking it, I haven't smoked it for years. But there's a lot of people who have a joint now and again and it's no problem to them. I advise people to go easy on the weed, and ideally not smoke it, down to the person though.

Some of these risks, like the mental health links, weren't even known when I started smoking pot.

Yeah though cigarettes, they were a bastard to stop, way harder.

It's good to know risks but it's all about perspective. I mean an unhealthy diet fucks up your brain seriously, reduces the blood flow, it's associated with dementia, which is a disease with a big vascular component. Bacon is a class 1 carcinogen and people stuff that down there gizzards constantly.
monty

Post by monty »

Hehe, Art, curious how it's trolling whenever I say something you know deep down to be true but hate to admit...
Last edited by monty on April 23rd, 2017, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge »

XxXApathy420XxX on Apr 22 2017, 07:26:20 PM wrote:
This reminds me of Brass Eye

The horrors of Cake!