Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Foxtrot, May nominations (Apr 30th)

What's your job?

User avatar
AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12927
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#121

Post by AdamH »

I like the Harry Potter books :)
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10301
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#122

Post by Knaldskalle »

ArthurYanthar on Nov 20 2013, 09:57:04 PM wrote:My nightmare happened today. I have to work an average of 1.5-2 hours of overtime a day and periodically do a 2 person job on my own because 2 people for the Extreme Pita station are gone, and I was meant to be a backup for all stations.

Cause of this I got a thank you note during the preshift meeting and I had to be the center of attention for the next few hours -_-

A female coworker is trying to make me read Harry Potter too, and because I'm so submissive I couldn't say no, even if I told her the movies are shit. Plus, she called Shakespeare pretentious :huh:
I'd call Shakespeare a lot of things, but pretentious? Wordy, difficult, perhaps even hermetic to someone like me (a furriner to the English language), but I'd never call him pretentious.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 25938
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#123

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Knaldskalle on Nov 20 2013, 10:54:31 PM wrote:
ArthurYanthar on Nov 20 2013, 09:57:04 PM wrote:My nightmare happened today. I have to work an average of 1.5-2 hours of overtime a day and periodically do a 2 person job on my own because 2 people for the Extreme Pita station are gone, and I was meant to be a backup for all stations.

Cause of this I got a thank you note during the preshift meeting and I had to be the center of attention for the next few hours -_-

A female coworker is trying to make me read Harry Potter too, and because I'm so submissive I couldn't say no, even if I told her the movies are shit. Plus, she called Shakespeare pretentious :huh:
I'd call Shakespeare a lot of things, but pretentious? Wordy, difficult, perhaps even hermetic to someone like me (a furriner to the English language), but I'd never call him pretentious.
Maybe she's not aware he's been dead for 400 years? If someone wrote like that today I'd say it's fair to call them pretentious.
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10301
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#124

Post by Knaldskalle »

PeacefulAnarchy on Nov 20 2013, 11:04:52 PM wrote:
Knaldskalle on Nov 20 2013, 10:54:31 PM wrote:
ArthurYanthar on Nov 20 2013, 09:57:04 PM wrote:My nightmare happened today. I have to work an average of 1.5-2 hours of overtime a day and periodically do a 2 person job on my own because 2 people for the Extreme Pita station are gone, and I was meant to be a backup for all stations.

Cause of this I got a thank you note during the preshift meeting and I had to be the center of attention for the next few hours -_-

A female coworker is trying to make me read Harry Potter too, and because I'm so submissive I couldn't say no, even if I told her the movies are shit. Plus, she called Shakespeare pretentious :huh:
I'd call Shakespeare a lot of things, but pretentious? Wordy, difficult, perhaps even hermetic to someone like me (a furriner to the English language), but I'd never call him pretentious.
Maybe she's not aware he's been dead for 400 years? If someone wrote like that today I'd say it's fair to call them pretentious.
I was going to write something about being judgmental about Shakespeare while not knowing that he's been dead 400 years, but I got nothing. If that's really the situation, we're all doomed.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 21159
Joined: October 24th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#125

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

4 people are suspended for an indefinite amount of time and are at risk of getting fired depending on the investigation results for smoking weed while at work. At least because of this I have a chance of getting a promotion in January.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Posts: 11744
Joined: May 29th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#126

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

ArthurYanthar on Nov 28 2013, 08:49:56 PM wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4 people are suspended for an indefinite amount of time and are at risk of getting fired depending on the investigation results for smoking weed while at work. At least because of this I have a chance of getting a promotion in January.
Nice work, young Machiavelli! Next time change your method, though, because you can only "plant weed" so many times before they catch on. ;)
Bobby Peru
Posts: 529
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Southampton, England
Contact:

#127

Post by Bobby Peru »

I make contact lenses for a major American company based in the south of England. I do 4 on 4 off, which is why I have such strange checking patterns.
karmacarroll
Posts: 503
Joined: May 11th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#128

Post by karmacarroll »

Just got a new job as an on-site psychologist for AutismCare UK. Heading for the big leagues now.
User avatar
Leopardi
Donator
Posts: 1694
Joined: February 4th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#129

Post by Leopardi »

karmacarroll on Dec 2 2013, 06:32:22 PM wrote:Just got a new job as an on-site psychologist for AutismCare UK. Heading for the big leagues now.
That's great news! Congratulations!
User avatar
AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12927
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#130

Post by AdamH »

I work in a school as an administrator (mainly relating to students in their final two years of high school). Been there since May 2017. I like the job. Lots of variety as you're working with students.
User avatar
blueboybob
Donator
Posts: 2518
Joined: March 11th, 2013, 6:00 am
Location: DC
Contact:

#131

Post by blueboybob »

I'm a software developer.
User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8965
Joined: June 7th, 2016, 6:00 am
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#132

Post by maxwelldeux »

I'm a personnel selection consultant, specializing in assessments and measurement.

And according to my father-in-law, I'm the "they" they talk about when people say "The say that blah blah blah..."
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 33703
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#133

Post by joachimt »

blueboybob on Jan 4 2018, 04:44:34 PM wrote:I'm a software developer.
If you're not watching movies...... ;)
Sorry, I still don't understand how you can have a job, get paid for it and watch movies several hours a day during work. It boggles my mind. :turned:
My wife is a software developer too and she has really busy working days. Sounds to me like you're not really needed there. Too many people working there for too little work? Does your supervisor know you don't have a lot to do during a day's work?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 6536
Joined: December 23rd, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#134

Post by Onderhond »

Front-end developer here. With a strong focus on HTML and CSS for use in larger platforms and multi-site setups. Not very good at javascript or any kind of "true" programming. Working for a company that is mostly focused on UX and strategy, so me and two other colleagues are often acting as a bridge between UX and back-end implemenation.
User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 13131
Joined: November 1st, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#135

Post by Armoreska »

At least 5 developers here I believe, I'm not but I work at such company.
he or A. or Armo or any

Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, mah huge sci-fi list, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8965
Joined: June 7th, 2016, 6:00 am
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#136

Post by maxwelldeux »

joachimt on Jan 4 2018, 05:51:20 PM wrote:
blueboybob on Jan 4 2018, 04:44:34 PM wrote:I'm a software developer.
If you're not watching movies...... ;)
Sorry, I still don't understand how you can have a job, get paid for it and watch movies several hours a day during work. It boggles my mind. :turned:
My wife is a software developer too and she has really busy working days. Sounds to me like you're not really needed there. Too many people working there for too little work? Does your supervisor know you don't have a lot to do during a day's work?
In many respects I get it - when I'm doing routine tasks or programming/stats work, I'll often put on a movie or TV show just to keep that part of my brain occupied. Nothing visually interesting or subtitled, but I can get away with it, especially if I've seen it or am familiar with it. Can't do it while writing or doing anything that requires a lot of thinking, but it's totally doable.
User avatar
blueboybob
Donator
Posts: 2518
Joined: March 11th, 2013, 6:00 am
Location: DC
Contact:

#137

Post by blueboybob »

^^^

A lot of movie watching is done to help me work. Two parts of the brain. It is like people who listen to music while working.
Plus I like to think I am really good at what I do. I also have lots of waiting (other people doing my code reviews or waiting for automated tests to run).
User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 21159
Joined: October 24th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#138

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

There's also a lot of waiting or doing nothing in my job (accounting assistant). I work maybe 1-2 hours a day and as a workaholic it's my definition of hell. The minimum wage increased to my wage as well this year, and for the same pay I would seriously rather do a fast food job. At least I'll always be doing something in that type of job.

Not even a bookkeeping firm will take me seriously until I complete the first 3 years of school though.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
User avatar
flaiky
Posts: 1463
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: London UK
Contact:

#139

Post by flaiky »

I currently do the reception/admin/bookings/publicity and occasional outreach/fundraising/events planning/bookkeeping (basically a bit of everything) at a community centre.

I actually quit earlier this year, to focus on travelling, then when I was away in November I got a text saying "The girl who replaced you has quit, please come back!" Which was very convenient, thanks universe.

I work 25 hours a week, which is perfect for me. I've accepted that I'm not very ambitious, heh. As long as I do something at least semi-meaningful, earn enough to survive, and I'm not a slave to some capitalist pig - I'm fine.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats
User avatar
Good_Will_Harding
Posts: 1021
Joined: February 19th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#140

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Within the last year, I got hired as a psychiatric technician aka "recovery coach" at a mental health recovery facility in the northeast (pardon if I'm being vague with the details here - Hipaa is a helluva law). The residents we house all come in with some sort of tangible, deeply effective mental diagnosis or disorder: clinical depression, bi-polar, schizophrenia, etc. Basically, what my job mostly entails is running multiple groups a day and writing loads of paperwork about each session and/or interaction that occurs. Odd jobs here and there also include cooking meals, taking the individuals out on outings, letting residents out for smoke breaks, etc. Whatever needs doing, really.

I'll be the first one to admit that I didn't have a ton of experience in the field of psychology before getting this job, apart from my own potential mental diagnosis in the past and those of friends and loved ones. But I've come to learn quite a lot since I first started, and also find the work extremely fulfilling on the whole. Our facility holds 10 people maximum, so you really come to get to know the individuals who come through our building, with the average stay only lasting for a few months. The main goal for us is that once they leave our site, they'll be discharged into the community so that they can live on their own, instead of getting sent to another hospital or similar site.
User avatar
flaiky
Posts: 1463
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: London UK
Contact:

#141

Post by flaiky »

Good_Will_Harding on Jan 4 2018, 09:48:33 PM wrote:Within the last year, I got hired as a psychiatric technician aka "recovery coach" at a mental health recovery facility in the northeast (pardon if I'm being vague with the details here - Hipaa is a helluva law). The residents we house all come in with some sort of tangible, deeply effective mental diagnosis or disorder: clinical depression, bi-polar, schizophrenia, etc. Basically, what my job mostly entails is running multiple groups a day and writing loads of paperwork about each session and/or interaction that occurs. Odd jobs here and there also include cooking meals, taking the individuals out on outings, letting residents out for smoke breaks, etc. Whatever needs doing, really.

I'll be the first one to admit that I didn't have a ton of experience in the field of psychology before getting this job, apart from my own potential mental diagnosis in the past and those of friends and loved ones. But I've come to learn quite a lot since I first started, and also find the work extremely fulfilling on the whole. Our facility holds 10 people maximum, so you really come to get to know the individuals who come through our building, with the average stay only lasting for a few months. The main goal for us is that once they leave our site, they'll be discharged into the community so that they can live on their own, instead of getting sent to another hospital or similar site.
That's amazing work, good on you.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats
User avatar
Good_Will_Harding
Posts: 1021
Joined: February 19th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#142

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Heh, thanks. I'm used to dealing with lots of people at once in some of my past jobs (food services mostly, God help me) but this is certainly on another level. As I said, more fulfilling than anything else I've done, and along the way I'm learning about positive coping strategies in regards to my own mental health, etc.
User avatar
Cynical Cinephile
Posts: 2251
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Contact:

#143

Post by Cynical Cinephile »

I work in a bank. Yes, I'm a capitalist pig, as flaiky said.
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:
User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 12243
Joined: May 6th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#144

Post by St. Gloede »

Well, I'm a manager in a sizeable advertising company, so I guess I can keep you company. (Still vote socialist though)
User avatar
insomnia
Posts: 1833
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#145

Post by insomnia »

St. Gloede on Jan 5 2018, 02:00:19 AM wrote:Well, I'm a manager in a sizeable advertising company, so I guess I can keep you company. (Still vote socialist though)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNwtgUk ... u.be&t=50s
Last edited by insomnia on January 5th, 2018, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
nimimerkillinen
Posts: 2365
Joined: December 30th, 2011, 7:00 am
Location: Vantaa, Finland
Contact:

#146

Post by nimimerkillinen »

will be a plant production gardener in ½ year if things will go as they should
User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 7218
Joined: May 17th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#147

Post by 3eyes »

telegraph operator (key grip)
Last edited by 3eyes on January 5th, 2018, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
User avatar
HVM
Posts: 3699
Joined: July 9th, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Republic of Czechia
Contact:

#148

Post by HVM »

I fell ill within a week of my big promotion so I can't say for sure, actually. At least I have the time to think about it. :rolleyes:
1918 - 100 - 2018
User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 3492
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#149

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

I'm an economist and work for my state's Department of Labor, doing all sorts of employment data collection and analysis, tracking the unemployment rate, writing/publishing monthly reports on the condition of my state's labor market, etc. It's pretty predictable work, day in/day out, but I kinda like it even if it's rather repetitious.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
User avatar
tourdesb
Moderator
Posts: 2173
Joined: May 7th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Puteaux, France
Contact:

#150

Post by tourdesb »

IT Project Manager in a bank (in their professional ethics/anti-money laundering team, does it still make me a capitalist pig ?)
Image Image Image
User avatar
Cynical Cinephile
Posts: 2251
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Contact:

#151

Post by Cynical Cinephile »

St. Gloede on Jan 5 2018, 02:00:19 AM wrote:Well, I'm a manager in a sizeable advertising company, so I guess I can keep you company. (Still vote socialist though)
:cheers:
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:
User avatar
monk-time
Posts: 1366
Joined: March 23rd, 2015, 6:00 am
Contact:

#152

Post by monk-time »

St. Gloede on Jan 5 2018, 02:00:19 AM wrote:Well, I'm a manager in a sizeable advertising company, so I guess I can keep you company. (Still vote socialist though)
Class traitor! :D
User avatar
max-scl
Posts: 846
Joined: June 20th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Santiago, Chile
Contact:

#153

Post by max-scl »

GruesomeTwosome on Jan 5 2018, 12:40:10 PM wrote:I'm an economist and work for my state's Department of Labor, doing all sorts of employment data collection and analysis, tracking the unemployment rate, writing/publishing monthly reports on the condition of my state's labor market, etc. It's pretty predictable work, day in/day out, but I kinda like it even if it's rather repetitious.
I want this job.
User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 3492
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#154

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

max-scl on Jan 5 2018, 05:46:30 PM wrote:
GruesomeTwosome on Jan 5 2018, 12:40:10 PM wrote:I'm an economist and work for my state's Department of Labor, doing all sorts of employment data collection and analysis, tracking the unemployment rate, writing/publishing monthly reports on the condition of my state's labor market, etc. It's pretty predictable work, day in/day out, but I kinda like it even if it's rather repetitious.
I want this job.
Really? What appeals to you about it? Just curious. ^_^
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31386
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#155

Post by mightysparks »

GruesomeTwosome on Jan 5 2018, 08:05:01 PM wrote:
max-scl on Jan 5 2018, 05:46:30 PM wrote:
GruesomeTwosome on Jan 5 2018, 12:40:10 PM wrote:I'm an economist and work for my state's Department of Labor, doing all sorts of employment data collection and analysis, tracking the unemployment rate, writing/publishing monthly reports on the condition of my state's labor market, etc. It's pretty predictable work, day in/day out, but I kinda like it even if it's rather repetitious.
I want this job.
Really? What appeals to you about it? Just curious. ^_^
Sounds appealing to me too. I love stats and numbers :D

Didn't realise I started this thread while I was still in London lol. I went back to my job as a stocktaker after I returned, was promoted to a supervisor shortly after. Still working there, but depression and RSI has made it very difficult and I definitely don't work as much as I used to. I also started hating my job a couple of years ago, but have no idea what I want to do next so I'm just waiting it out til I finish uni.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image
User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 12243
Joined: May 6th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#156

Post by St. Gloede »

monk-time on Jan 5 2018, 05:38:10 PM wrote:
St. Gloede on Jan 5 2018, 02:00:19 AM wrote:Well, I'm a manager in a sizeable advertising company, so I guess I can keep you company. (Still vote socialist though)
Class traitor! :D
Socialist, not Communist. <_<
User avatar
max-scl
Posts: 846
Joined: June 20th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Santiago, Chile
Contact:

#157

Post by max-scl »

GruesomeTwosome on Jan 5 2018, 08:05:01 PM wrote:
max-scl on Jan 5 2018, 05:46:30 PM wrote:
GruesomeTwosome on Jan 5 2018, 12:40:10 PM wrote:I'm an economist and work for my state's Department of Labor, doing all sorts of employment data collection and analysis, tracking the unemployment rate, writing/publishing monthly reports on the condition of my state's labor market, etc. It's pretty predictable work, day in/day out, but I kinda like it even if it's rather repetitious.
I want this job.
Really? What appeals to you about it? Just curious. ^_^
I'm literally looking for a job just like that. I studied economics. And it appeals to me because i'd like to work for goverment and it seems interesting enough.
User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 13131
Joined: November 1st, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#158

Post by Armoreska »

3eyes on Jan 5 2018, 08:15:02 AM wrote:telegraph operator (key grip)
Key grip? You work in film?
he or A. or Armo or any

Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, mah huge sci-fi list, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 33703
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#159

Post by joachimt »

Armoreska on Jan 6 2018, 03:22:46 PM wrote:
3eyes on Jan 5 2018, 08:15:02 AM wrote:telegraph operator (key grip)
Key grip? You work in film?
If so, I guess she did it in the past. Or are you still working at your age, 3eyes?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 3492
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#160

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

max-scl on Jan 6 2018, 11:30:55 AM wrote:
GruesomeTwosome on Jan 5 2018, 08:05:01 PM wrote:
max-scl on Jan 5 2018, 05:46:30 PM wrote:I want this job.
Really? What appeals to you about it? Just curious. ^_^
I'm literally looking for a job just like that. I studied economics. And it appeals to me because i'd like to work for goverment and it seems interesting enough.
I see! Well I hope you can get a similar job then - good luck in your pursuit!
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Post Reply